PDA

View Full Version : Seeking old space book

blackshire
10-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Hello All,

I have been trying to find an old space book. If I just had its title, I'm pretty sure I could find a copy of it on one of the used book sites. I will describe it here:

It was a hardcover book, about 8" X 12" in size and a bit over 1/2" thick, dating from the late 1950s or very early 1960s. Its covers were laminated with clear plastic. It was one of a set of children's encyclopedia books, and this one contained (in addition to a section on sports, including the ancient basketball-like Aztec [or Mayan?] game) a color painting-illustrated section on rocketry and space flight, including the Vanguard and Sputnik I & II satellites and the von Braun-type "wheel" space stations. A collection of somewhat inaccurate (because they were prepared before the launches) but beautiful paintings illustrated the Vanguard launch sequence and how the satellite's orbit created a "basket-weave" pattern around the Earth. A Baker-Nunn Project Moonwatch telescope, a group of Moonwatch volunteers with their little 'scopes, and a satellite radio communications trailer were also illustrated via color paintings. A brief section on lunar exploration showed the von Braun-type moonship, and two of a variation of that design approaching Mars. Also:

The logo of the publisher, on the orange "end pages" of the book, consisted of an ancient Greek-type hand-held torch and the now-common stylized illustration of an atom (a nucleus with three electron orbits around it, at equal angles to each other). The front cover showed a juxtaposition of several things, including a golden yellow planet Saturn above a cowboy (who was leaning forward twirling a lasso) riding a galloping horse. Now:

Does this book ring a bell with anyone here? Many thanks to anyone who can help! This book is of personal significance to me because it was the very first book on rocketry and spaceflight that I ever saw (at age *two*--it is one of my earliest memories), and it "lit the fire" of interest in--and passion about--these subjects that burns in me to this day.

jdbectec
10-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Sounds somewhat similar to a series of books I remember called Golden Book of Knowledge. Each of them featured great illustrations and topics.

blackshire
10-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Sounds somewhat similar to a series of books I remember called Golden Book of Knowledge. Each of them featured great illustrations and topics.I have some of those books (which I also like a lot, even though they, too, are "dated" today), but their logo is different--it's a tree with a scroll in front of its trunk that reads, "The Golden Library of Knowledge." (They're not an encyclopedia set, like the one whose volume I'm seeking, but instead are a collection of "stand-alone" books in a series--the space/astronomy-related ones are "Space Flight: The Coming Exploration of the Universe," "The Moon: Our Neighboring World," and "Planets" , and there is also a double edition--in a smaller book size--that contains both "Planets" and "Space Flight" in a single book.) Also:

The book that I'm looking for is part of an alphabetized (I'm almost 100% certain) encyclopedia set, as I recall that there were other volumes in the set that we had. In addition to the sections on space flight (in the front of it) and sports (in the back of it, which suggests that that volume was "[I]sp-something" in the alphabetized order), it also contains a short dictionary section (between the "space flight" and "sports" sections, if memory serves). Its publisher's logo was a hand-held torch with a stylized atom image--I can see it in my mind, but the name of the publisher and the encyclopedia just won't come to me--which is frustrating, since I had that volume until I lost it when I moved to Alaska in 1997.

jdbectec
10-09-2014, 06:34 PM
I have some of those books (which I also like a lot, even though they, too, are "dated" today), but their logo is different--it's a tree with a scroll in front of its trunk that reads, "The Golden Library of Knowledge." (They're not an encyclopedia set, like the one whose volume I'm seeking, but instead are a collection of "stand-alone" books in a series--the space/astronomy-related ones are "Space Flight: The Coming Exploration of the Universe," "The Moon: Our Neighboring World," and "Planets" , and there is also a double edition--in a smaller book size--that contains both "Planets" and "Space Flight" in a single book.) Also:

The book that I'm looking for is part of an alphabetized (I'm almost 100% certain) encyclopedia set, as I recall that there were other volumes in the set that we had. In addition to the sections on space flight (in the front of it) and sports (in the back of it, which suggests that that volume was "[I]sp-something" in the alphabetized order), it also contains a short dictionary section (between the "space flight" and "sports" sections, if memory serves). Its publisher's logo was a hand-held torch with a stylized atom image--I can see it in my mind, but the name of the publisher and the encyclopedia just won't come to me--which is frustrating, since I had that volume until I lost it when I moved to Alaska in 1997.

****! I thought the torch was a sure thing ! it was atree after all. My next best guess would be Colliers. Sorry I wasn't more help. Good luck with your endeavor.

dlazarus6660
10-10-2014, 05:19 AM
That's sounds like a Giant Golden book encyclopedia.

Jerry Irvine
10-10-2014, 09:20 AM
No but while mousing around I found this gem:

http://www.target.com/p/model-rocket/-/A-14854010#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=model+rocket

blackshire
10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
No but while mousing around I found this gem:

http://www.target.com/p/model-rocket/-/A-14854010#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=model+rocketVern Estes--modern artist extraordinaire...who'd 'a thunk it? :-) Imagine how rich we'd all be if we could sell all of our burned-in-half Solar Igniters for even *half* as much as that objet d'art sells for? :-)

blackshire
10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
****! I thought the torch was a sure thing ! it was atree after all. My next best guess would be Colliers. Sorry I wasn't more help. Good luck with your endeavor.Thank you. It wasn't by some "no-name" (little-known) publisher--it was published by one of the well-known ones, but I can't recall which one it was. (I also have the "Science Service Science Program" and "Vistas of Science" books, but they're small-format paperbacks that form a collection, rather than an alphabetized encyclopedia.)That's sounds like a Giant Golden book encyclopedia.Maybe! I haven't searched under that specific term, but I'll try it. Thank you!

ghrocketman
10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
I remember the specific book you are talking about with your clues.
Cannot picture the author, publisher, or title either.
I'm positive my Elementary School in Fenton, Mi. had it when I was there in the 70's.
I remember reading through it, any other rocket/airplane/chemistry books they had at least 100 times each.
If my memory serves me correctly, that book was OLD when I was there from '75 to '81.

tbzep
10-10-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm positive my Elementary School in Fenton, Mi. had it when I was there in the 70's.
I remember reading through it, any other rocket/airplane/chemistry books they had at least 100 times each.
If my memory serves me correctly, that book was OLD when I was there from '75 to '81.
Just like me...I read every rocket/plane/science/racing/mechanic non-fiction book we had over and over while other kids were reading Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew.

ghrocketman
10-10-2014, 04:37 PM
I read all the Hardy Boys multiple times too.
No Nancy Drew though...

dlazarus6660
10-10-2014, 04:38 PM
There is Gold Key Books and Golden Magazine. I think the key term is Gold.

tbzep
10-10-2014, 04:46 PM
I read all the Hardy Boys multiple times too.
No Nancy Drew though...
Never read either of those, but I finally started checking out some Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books since there was never any new cool non fiction stuff put on the shelves. No way was I going to read something that was the basis for Sean Cassidy to become a girly idol.

ghrocketman
10-10-2014, 06:20 PM
The books existed WAY before they were ill-represented by Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson.

Earl
10-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Never read either of those, but I finally started checking out some Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books since there was never any new cool non fiction stuff put on the shelves. No way was I going to read something that was the basis for Sean Cassidy to become a girly idol.

I remember getting into reading that series in junior high school ('75 timeframe) and couldn't put them down. Forgot how many there were total, but seemed like it was quite a few titles.

To a 13 year old kid, the idea of their 'headquarters' being the small camper or house trailer 'buried' under all the other junk in the family junkyard (was that Jupitier Jones' family business?.....my memory fades a bit) was pretty neat. Then again, sleuthing around and doing most of the things they did as kids was pretty appealing.

Gosh, haven't seen one of those books around anywhere in decades.

Earl

mojo1986
10-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I remember getting into reading that series in junior high school ('75 timeframe) and couldn't put them down. Forgot how many there were total, but seemed like it was quite a few titles.

To a 13 year old kid, the idea of their 'headquarters' being the small camper or house trailer 'buried' under all the other junk in the family junkyard (was that Jupitier Jones' family business?.....my memory fades a bit) was pretty neat. Then again, sleuthing around and doing most of the things they did as kids was pretty appealing.

Gosh, haven't seen one of those books around anywhere in decades.

Earl

Take a trip down memory lane, Earl..............

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051337.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhardy+boys&_nkw=hardy+boys&_sacat=267

Neal Miller
10-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Hello All,

I have been trying to find an old space book. If I just had its title, I'm pretty sure I could find a copy of it on one of the used book sites. I will describe it here:

It was a hardcover book, about 8" X 12" in size and a bit over 1/2" thick, dating from the late 1950s or very early 1960s. Its covers were laminated with clear plastic. It was one of a set of children's encyclopedia books, and this one contained (in addition to a section on sports, including the ancient basketball-like Aztec [or Mayan?] game) a color painting-illustrated section on rocketry and space flight, including the Vanguard and Sputnik I & II satellites and the von Braun-type "wheel" space stations. A collection of somewhat inaccurate (because they were prepared before the launches) but beautiful paintings illustrated the Vanguard launch sequence and how the satellite's orbit created a "basket-weave" pattern around the Earth. A Baker-Nunn Project Moonwatch telescope, a group of Moonwatch volunteers with their little 'scopes, and a satellite radio communications trailer were also illustrated via color paintings. A brief section on lunar exploration showed the von Braun-type moonship, and two of a variation of that design approaching Mars. Also:

The logo of the publisher, on the orange "end pages" of the book, consisted of an ancient Greek-type hand-held torch and the now-common stylized illustration of an atom (a nucleus with three electron orbits around it, at equal angles to each other). The front cover showed a juxtaposition of several things, including a golden yellow planet Saturn above a cowboy (who was leaning forward twirling a lasso) riding a galloping horse. Now:

Does this book ring a bell with anyone here? Many thanks to anyone who can help! This book is of personal significance to me because it was the very first book on rocketry and spaceflight that I ever saw (at age *two*--it is one of my earliest memories), and it "lit the fire" of interest in--and passion about--these subjects that burns in me to this day.

Could it be a set called the Young Peoples encyclopedia of science?
This as an annual set of A-Z Science books with some pretty cool script and Illustrations of
rockets, missiles and spacecraft as well as other scientific investigation.

tbzep
10-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Take a trip down memory lane, Earl..............

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2051337.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xhardy+boys&_nkw=hardy+boys&_sacat=267
He replied to my post, so I think he was referring to the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=hardy+boys&_from=R40&_osacat=267&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xalfred+hitchcock+and+the+three+investigators&_nkw=alfred+hitchcock+and+the+three+investigators&_sacat=267

Earl
10-10-2014, 10:53 PM
He replied to my post, so I think he was referring to the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators series.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=hardy+boys&_from=R40&_osacat=267&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xalfred+hitchcock+and+the+three+investigators&_nkw=alfred+hitchcock+and+the+three+investigators&_sacat=267

Yeah, that's the series. Sorry MoJo, I guess I was not clear on which series I was referring to. It was the Three Investigators series. I don't recall that I ever read a Hardy Boys book, but could have many years ago and just don't recall.

Might be worth picking up one one of the Three Investigators books off ebay and reading one again to see how well it 'holds up' under adult eyes. Might seem really kiddy all these years later. Maybe better to let childhood memories stay as is. Kinda like seeing a movie again as an adult that you thought was truly great and magical as a kid only to find out it actually was pretty cheap and tooky looking. :o

Earl

tbzep
10-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that's the series. Sorry MoJo, I guess I was not clear on which series I was referring to. It was the Three Investigators series. I don't recall that I ever read a Hardy Boys book, but could have many years ago and just don't recall.

Might be worth picking up one one of the Three Investigators books off ebay and reading one again to see how well it 'holds up' under adult eyes. Might seem really kiddy all these years later. Maybe better to let childhood memories stay as is. Kinda like seeing a movie again as an adult that you thought was truly great and magical as a kid only to find out it actually was pretty cheap and tooky looking. :o

Earl
There were several different writers of the series and some books were better than others. I think only the first 10 or so were written by the original creator of the series. Grab one and read it. If it isn't what you remember, chalk it up to not being one of the best ones and put the books behind you. BTW, I bought a few old hard backs off ebay when Kody was younger for him to read. I read them and it brought back some good but very dated* memories. :cool:

*The books we remember were written in the mid to late 60's IIRC. They were dated when I read them in the mid-late 70's. There were more books released in the 80's, but I never read them.

As a side note, I can't remember what day it is or my family birthdays half the time, but my mind is like a steel trap when it comes to books, magazine articles, or movies I've read and watched. As I read, I remembered most of the details of the stories several pages before the events unfolded. This gift/curse keeps me from enjoying most movies a second time and confounds most of my family and friends as to why I don't care to watch most movies more than once in a decade....or lifetime.

blackshire
10-11-2014, 03:30 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, that book was OLD when I was there from '75 to '81.It definitely pre-dated Vostok and Project Mercury. The latest satellite that it covered was Vanguard 1, and the projected manned vehicles were based on Wernher von Braun's shuttle rockets/rotating space station/Moonships proposals.Could it be a set called the Young Peoples encyclopedia of science?
This as an annual set of A-Z Science books with some pretty cool script and Illustrations of
rockets, missiles and spacecraft as well as other scientific investigation.It wasn't from that series, but I *did* have several volumes from it. I just checked the Golden Books encyclopedia series (they began in 1959), and while I have seen those (at swap meets and yard sales), they weren't it.

bernomatic
10-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Earl

Try this link. Alfred Hitchcock and the three investigators (http://www.vb-tech.co.za/ebooks/Carey%20MV%20-%20Three%20Investigators%2001%20-%20The%20Secret%20of%20Terror%20Castle%20-%20CR.pdf)

blackshire
10-11-2014, 11:55 PM

EarlI purposely have *not* re-read any of the Tom Swift, Jr. or Dig Allen Space Explorer books (see: http://www.duntemann.com/tomswift.htm and http://www.tomswift.info/homepage/indexa.html ) for that very reason.

stefanj
10-12-2014, 09:24 AM
There's an explanation for why childhood favorites come off as really bad when you reread them as adults:

The Suck Fairy gets them.

In college, I read one of the Dig Allen books I hadn't found when I was a kid. It wasn't terrible, but definitely for younger readers.