PDA

View Full Version : New Estes PSII E2X Mammoth

Initiator001
11-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Estes recently released another model in the PSII E2X product line.

Named 'Mammoth' the model is taller than earlier PSII E2X kits. It features the same nose cone as the Majestic model without the chrome plating and the fins from the Prowler model.

The body tubes are finished in a shiny gold/copper metal wrap.

Looks like a straight-forward build.

Shreadvector
11-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Tell us the finished weight (and the usual extra info, such as letting us know if you used epoxy that added weight beyond the 'normal' amount).

Initiator001
11-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Tell us the finished weight (and the usual extra info, such as letting us know if you used epoxy that added weight beyond the 'normal' amount).

I will post that information, Fred.

I do plan to add a long stuffer tube to the model. This will provide additional structural strength and allow me to use an AeroTech-like baffle system.

Initiator001
11-23-2014, 12:12 AM
I wrapped up the construction of the new Estes PSII E2X Mammoth model today.

It's a tall one, over 59" tall.

I replaced the kit supplied 29mm motor tube with one that was 23" long. This improved the structural strength of the lower tube and allowed me to incorporate an AeroTech-like cooling mesh baffle system. It turns out that the Quest 29mm-2" centering rings that are used in several of the company's Advanced Rocketry kits fit just fine in the Estes 2" diameter body tubes.

I made an effort to use the epoxy sparingly in assembly of this model. The dry weight/mass of the model came in at 13.7 oz. The box lists 11.9 oz.

I will post pictures of the first flight. ;)

DeanHFox
11-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Bob, nice job.

Quick question - where did you come across that 29mm stand? Looks like the same material that Q-Modeling made their stands from, but they're not around at present. Sure could use a few 29mm stands, if that's from a current vendor...

Thanks!

Initiator001
11-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Bob, nice job.

Quick question - where did you come across that 29mm stand? Looks like the same material that Q-Modeling made their stands from, but they're not around at present. Sure could use a few 29mm stands, if that's from a current vendor...

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment, Dean. :)

I purchased two of these stands 3-5 years ago at a DART launch from Discount Rocketry. The price was $10.00 each. Jim of DR had the parts laser cut.

I just checked the Discount Rocketry website and could not find a listing for the stands. :(

Shreadvector
11-24-2014, 04:53 PM
I wrapped up the construction of the new Estes PSII E2X Mammoth model today.

It's a tall one, over 59" tall.

I replaced the kit supplied 29mm motor tube with one that was 23" long. This improved the structural strength of the lower tube and allowed me to incorporate an AeroTech-like cooling mesh baffle system. It turns out that the Quest 29mm-2" centering rings that are used in several of the company's Advanced Rocketry kits fit just fine in the Estes 2" diameter body tubes.

I made an effort to use the epoxy sparingly in assembly of this model. The dry weight/mass of the model came in at 13.7 oz. The box lists 11.9 oz.

I will post pictures of the first flight. ;)

Looks like it is under 500 grams with an F15 motor and well under with an E16 motor.

Post photos indeed since I will not be at the next SCRA launch. Going back north for almost 3 weeks. Work, work, work.....(and a lot of eating....)

DeanHFox
11-28-2014, 10:11 AM
<snip>I just checked the Discount Rocketry website and could not find a listing for the stands. :(Thanks anyway, Bob. Sure do wish a vendor would step forward with a set of 29mm stands... :)

tmacklin
11-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks anyway, Bob. Sure do wish a vendor would step forward with a set of 29mm stands... :)

Talk to me! :D

Gus
11-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Check out Apogee or eRockets for the Northcoast Rocketry stands. There are two different types and they're both wonderful.

tmacklin
11-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Here is yours truly with a 65 inch long, 3 inch diameter scratch built rocket with a 29 mm motor mount and a custom stand I built for it. I could and would produce similar stands with a 10" square base for a fair price if there were a market for such an animal.

Motorcycle not included!

Initiator001
12-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Saturday December 6th was a mostly clear calm day at the Santa Fe Dam launch site.

My new Estes PSII E2X Mammoth model was ready to be launched.

After reviewing the mass of the model and the mass of any motor I could use to fly the rocket I settled on an AeroTech Econojet F20-7W motor. The California weight/mass limit is 500 grams/17 ounces for a model rocket. I had wanted to use an Estes F15-4 motor but the combined mass was too close to 500g/17oz limit and I didn't want the RSO to deny the flight with an F15 motor.

The air was calm at launch.

It was a great flight. The F20-7W motor really got that model moving, much more than a F15 motor.

Recovery was a bit of a walk as I had angled the launch rod out towards the large open area. The model suffered no indication of damage. :)

ghrocketman
12-08-2014, 10:15 AM
No RSO=no worries about ridiculous arbitrary weight limits.
Just another reason to fly alone or with one buddy on private land.

At my previous house, I was on an acre of land that bordered a 500+ acre farm in my back yard.
I could actually fly through small-H power right in my back yard.
Worried nothing about using motors de-certed due to age either.
NO RULES, JUST RIGHT.