PDA

View Full Version : Folk Rockets!

Daniel Runyon
02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Tonight a niche within a niche was born... Folk Rockets! I was painting on my Baby Bertha with some brush on Testors trying to cover up our wrecked up fin joints and I completely gave up on trying to make everything look nice neat and smooth... it started looking like a piece of Howard Finsterish folk art! And that's when an old flame relit within my soul...

Some years ago I went to the Howard Finster Folk Art Festival and met Howard... it was the last time the festival was to run within his lifetime... and I also met some other very interesting folk art oriented people... it really planted some serious seeds within. I really started to feel a resonation with the word Folk and its deeper meanings.

As I was painting Baby Bertha and dealing with the frustration of my rocket not looking ANYTHING like I had initially intended, and realizing just how difficult it would be in general to achieve the degree of "perfection" (as I was percieving it) I desired, I reconnected with my internal archetype of Folk and experienced a mighty nice vision!

This particular rocket is still not turning out like I would have liked visually, even after letting the flow of folk move through me... but it has led me to something of a much more significant and hopefully lasting worth than just another pretty rocket!

I went and got myself a place for a devoted website too... Folk Rockets (http://folkrockets.com/)!

I really have wrecked this Baby Bertha up though... my 5 year old son thinks it looked better with the rough looking fin joints, but it still looks fun and he will still have a ball launching it. It had its maiden voyage today right after I picked him up from school... launched it twice and it flew and recovered BEAUTIFULLY! And I'm REALLY diggin our new Top Flight Recovery nylon chutes! Used a 9 incher on it.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
One of the guys in my club makes rockets out of old oatmeal containers and anything else cylindrical. They generally have a folkish flair to them.

Daniel Runyon
02-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Sounds awesome! Would you mind giving him my email address? I'd love for him to email me some pics! public @ danielrunyon .com!