PDA

View Full Version : Spare Parts

Pyromaniac
12-28-2014, 09:12 AM
If anyone has any spare parts (Body tubes, nose cones, fins, motor mounts)it would be so much appreciated if you could email me, Thanks. [EDIT] also Im new to building my own custom rockets so whats is the best material to build fins and nose cones from. BTW Im new here but im not that new to model rocketry.

luke strawwalker
12-28-2014, 02:14 PM
If anyone has any spare parts (Body tubes, nose cones, fins, motor mounts)it would be so much appreciated if you could email me, Thanks. [EDIT] also Im new to building my own custom rockets so whats is the best material to build fins and nose cones from. BTW Im new here but im not that new to model rocketry.

Balsa... either from online sources, or your local hobby shop or Hobby Lobby... they stock enough for fins and nosecones.

Nosecones can be hand carved or you can rig up a simple "lathe" from an electric drill that will make a functional nosecone turning device-- and using a variety of sandpaper grits and some work, you can turn out any shape nosecone you could want. Oftentimes, it's easier to just buy the nosecone you want from various vendors... Semroc was the best, but they're unfortunately shutting down, but there are numerous online sources for parts/nosecones/transitions/tubes/etc.

I mostly build scratchbuilt rockets, because 1) I don't like the high cost of most kits 2) I'm tired of "3 fin/nosecone (3FNC) type rockets offered by most rocket manufacturers... You can buy a LOT of tubes and nosecones and fin stock and such for the cost of one kit... Plus, you can make them any size you want... I cut my own centering rings (using the handy "payloadbay.com" centering ring generator, which can then be printed out and glued to cardboard or matte board (from Hobby Lobby) or whatever you want to make your own centering rings) and using standard body tube bought and cut to length for motor tubes-- BT-5 for mini-motors (13mm), BT-20 for regular A, B, C type motors (18mm), and BT-50 for D, E type motors (24mm).

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

PS. Sometimes I DO hit the Estes sales and grab up a bunch of kits-- not to build them, but for a quick and easy "parts supply" for tubes, nosecones, and stuff I can "rob" from the kits and use for my own creations... what's called "kitbashing"...

5x7
12-28-2014, 03:28 PM

Here is a link to the Estes sale bundles, fantastic deals for parts or builders kits if you buy the bundles.rocket sale (http://www.estesrockets.com/clearance?p=3)

Pyromaniac
12-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Wow thanks for all the information!

luke strawwalker
12-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Wow thanks for all the information!

You're welcome... that's what we're here for...

Too bad you're about a year late... you could get practically anything you ever wanted from Semroc, but sadly they're going out of business...

Later! OL JR :)