PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to buy or trade for FSI kits....

2ahoser
02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I am looking to fill out the rest of my collection of FSI kits. I am looking for a Viking 1 kit, that is new with header tag. Also, always looking for other FSI stuff. Willing to pay a reasonable price, or would be willing to trade with low to high power kits.......

Thanks,
Bob :)

barone
02-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Bob,

So I take it you've got all the rest? I'm missing one that sold for over $100 on Ebay last year. You planning on just keeping them in the bag?

2ahoser
02-11-2007, 03:43 AM
Actually, I am only collecting kits that I had when I was younger. Don't think getting all of them is a goal. I do fly em, I still have some from the '80's in my fleet. Even have kits that I have to trim the motors to fit. None of those cool D & E FSI motors that I would trust at this point!!! I lost my Sprint in 2005, and last launch I lost my Viking !. I have one in the bag, but wanted to see if I could find another.

Which kit are you looking for? I do have some kits that I 'm not sure I am gonna build.

Thanks and calm winds,
Bob :)

barone
02-11-2007, 07:50 AM
The Nike Tomahawk is the only one I don't have. I'm planning on building them all and flying them. With BMS and Semroc, there is a source for parts to adapt them to use with the standard 18-24-29mm motors. My first FSI kit was the Viking V. A CATO took out the lower body tube but I found that an aluminum foil tube made the perfect replacement :D . I also flew a Dart with the mach thruster. Rocket ended up on top of a building (building was about 3/4 mile away.....drifted a long way on a streamer). I've got another I'd like to fly under mach.....I've got an F100-0 but I haven't looked for an 18mm BP D. But here I reminisce.........Anyway, I've got six of mine built and ready to fly and five still requiring detailing. So much to do........ ;) Sorry though, I only have the one Viking I kit but there are plans posted at http://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-9/fsiMRK-9.htm. It doesn't have the templates but here is what I've got........ :)

Green Dragon
02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Don,

If you;re looking to build anyways - why not clone the Nike-Tomahawk with Semroc parts as you note ?

I sent the scans in to Scott ( from my brothers original, and still half built, kit ), if you need more info that YORP has , drop me a line and I can get my hands on my bro's kit.

( Note the transition shown on YORP in * NOT * original FSI - it is the original wood, but as delivered it has a large square shoulder, out to the large dia, then tapered back in to the 1.13 Tomahawk dia - my bro turned it down to 'more-scale' using on of those Tonka childs workshop lathes :-)
iirc, check the javalin plans posted on YORP, the transitions on that are similar to the as-shipped (sic) version we had.

Maybe Carl will offer the transition sometime, the tubing and nose are already on the Semroc site.

Good luck ( and as always - PICTURES :)

~ AL

barone
02-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Al......but I think the YORP plans are missing something :confused: . I didn't see a transition nor the nose cone. I've got the Javelin so if I understand right, I can use the Javelin transition as a model and just increase the size for the appropriate body tubes? I guess I need to see if I can get Carl to make a few of these. Can you send a scan/picture of each?

Green Dragon
02-13-2007, 04:32 PM
DON,

not sure why the cone / transition did not get posted on YORP - Scott ? , is that an error in my sending, unusable file , or ???
lmk - I will try to get the pieces from my bro and photo / rescan them for reference.

the nosecone was the generic FSI 1.13 cone, as used on the OSO, etc - not exactly scale, but looked ok.
The Transition was odd-as-delivered, 90 degree base out from the shoulder, then 90 degree to straight ( parallel to the BT) short ( ~ 1/4") and then tapered in to the 1.13" dia - as noted above, I don't have a photo of the as-shipped unit from his kit, and his was modified for more-scale look .. not sure if his kit was a fluke ( given the FSI quality control of the day ), or if all shipped that way, so might be a bad example of the kit.

You'll also note, for purists, that the fins in my scan are the original FSI fins ( booster fins sanded, hopefully still usable patterns) - the sustainer / Tomahawk fins are notable oversized from scale, and , again, on my bro's both fin patterns were replaced with more-2-scale verwsions ( and cardstock fin cans- will have to get some pics , if I can, of the partially finished build, I know he hasn;t touched it in years , with family and work obligations,etc - he just retrieved his stuff from my parents a few months back ( except a few I have for 'clone reference', like the Starlab ), hopefully now he'll get time to finish the FSI version, Estes Nike Apache and rebuild his 1:3 scale that died at NyPower 2001, iirc ( 5.54" booster, 3.1" sustainer, 1000+ hours of work, including all screws,rivits, weld lines,cast resin fin hgubs, etc.... all to bury it in the ground due to electronics failure on flight attempt # 3 :( .

Anyways, will dig up what FSI pics / patterns I can, and hopefully will help - if you have Pete Always book, you could just go with a semi-scale transition and be close to the kit, I think .

~ AL

barone
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
....... Anyways, will dig up what FSI pics / patterns I can, and hopefully will help - if you have Pete Always book, you could just go with a semi-scale transition and be close to the kit, I think .

~ ALThanks Al. I wish I had the "Book" but it's out of print and the last one I saw for auction was over $100 (probably worth it but I've got to keep to some sort of budget). If I could get a really good picture or scan of the nose cone and transition, Carl might be able to make one for me. I know he'd like to have it also so he can work on the kits.

Ltvscout
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
DON,

not sure why the cone / transition did not get posted on YORP - Scott ? , is that an error in my sending, unusable file , or ???
lmk - I will try to get the pieces from my bro and photo / rescan them for reference.
I'll look into this when I can and see what's up.

Green Dragon
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I'll look into this when I can and see what's up.

Keep me posted if you have em, or need them,etc.

I'm pretty sure I'd scanned those, but with the scanner trouble I had, etc.. then what files I had (all my plans,etc :(, were on the hard drive of the computer my wife took with her... so loss of a lot of time and effort, not neccesarily irreplacable, but ...

Will drop my bro a note and get the Nike Tomahawk kit, so I can get some pics, etc.

( also, off topic, but do you still need the page for the Aquarius kit ?, got the scanner working, not sure how nice the files are, so will try it in a few, had forgotten about those until it just clicked, my bad :-P

~ AL