PDA

View Full Version : New Estes Kits, Discontinued Item & a Re-Release

Ltvscout
02-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Well, it's cool that my hobby industry insider can still get me scoops on Estes products before Estes announces them, even when they have their own message forum. Here's what is coming out and what has been discontinued.

The MaxTrax starter outfit is gone, replaced by the Spin Control Starter
Outfit. There is a spin counter module, and adjustable spin tabs on the
fins.

There is a rerelease of the #1960 Nova Payloader, updated with laser cut
fins (no whoopee for this one).

#2037 is the D-Region Tomahawk. 3 feet tall. Skill Level 1, but D & E
powered.

And the AstroVision Starter set. The rocket is like a Astrocam body with an
Oracle nose cone.

rokitflite
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks for your input. Keep checking the Estes website for cool upcoming re-releases... :rolleyes: ;)

Ltvscout
02-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks for your input. Keep checking the Estes website for cool upcoming re-releases... :rolleyes: ;)
Hehe. Exactly. ;)

CPMcGraw
02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, it's cool that my hobby industry insider can still get me scoops on Estes products before Estes announces them, even when they have their own message forum. Here's what is coming out and what has been discontinued.

The MaxTrax starter outfit is gone, replaced by the Spin Control Starter
Outfit. There is a spin counter module, and adjustable spin tabs on the
fins.

There is a rerelease of the #1960 Nova Payloader, updated with laser cut
fins (no whoopee for this one).

#2037 is the D-Region Tomahawk. 3 feet tall. Skill Level 1, but D & E
powered.

Oracle nose cone.

Hey, that last one might not be so bad. We all know the AstroCam fits into an ST-13 body tube, so that might open up some possibilities for using SEMROC components...

Skill Level 1 on that Tomahawk? Sounds like a lot of plastic; maybe we can get a good payload section out of it...

Sounds like a big yawn for the rest of it...

Ltvscout
02-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Watch for more info coming.

Daniel Runyon
02-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Ltvscout on TRF!
There is. Some stuff I can't talk about yet. Watch YORF for the latest.

Come on now... the whole point of leaks is defeating such restrictions! Spill it!

None of these interest me (well, the Oracle system would... if they would make a way to get the video onto a little flash memory stick that we could provide on our own for next to nothing... and give more than 30 seconds of video!) so I'm going to have to hold some hope for those secrets you're carrying.

Would you be able to give a simple affirmative or negatory on whether or not there are any space / sci fi oriented kits being whispered? I'm guessing NO on the sci fi, since Rocket Doctor has mentioned that Centuri kits are considered as a completely separate entity than Estes... which honestly makes NO sense to me since the same corporation owns the rights to both, no? Sounds like another instance of someone, somewheres psychological red tape getting in the way of something beautiful happening.

propbeany
02-21-2007, 11:27 AM
#2037 was the National Aero Space Plane, or something like that. Or did they reuse numbers and not tell me?

The original D-Region was a skill level 3 (as was the Aero Space Plane).

johnnwwa
02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
I check the Estes forum about twice a week . Most of what I see posted is the same O' sameO' Blah Blah Blah.

I might buy the D-Region Tomahawk. But I have no interest in anything else.
Kind of a love/ hate relationship sometimes.

John

CPMcGraw
02-21-2007, 12:03 PM
#2037 was the National Aero Space Plane, or something like that. Or did they reuse numbers and not tell me?

Wouldn't be the first time...:o

...or the second time...:(

...or the third...:mad:

ghrocketman
02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
The D-Region Tomahawk actually sounds good to me....that was one in the 80's that I always wanted, but never managed to buy for some reason.

Tau Zero
02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your input. Keep checking the Estes website for cool upcoming re-releases... :rolleyes: ;) Hehe. Exactly. ;)(bored out of my skull) Yeah, I've already seen the Mean Machine and the Pop Fly. :mad:

--"NEXT!" :eek:

Cheers,

JRThro
02-21-2007, 07:58 PM
(bored out of my skull) Yeah, I've already seen the Mean Machine and the Pop Fly. :mad:

--"NEXT!" :eek:
What, those aren't exciting enough for you??

dwmzmm
02-21-2007, 10:53 PM
I still have my CMR D - Region Tomahawk kit still "in-the-bag."

The_Forgotten
02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm not very impressed with what estes' is "bringing back" so far. I still have an unbuilt Mean Machine from it's first run, and that is so far the only kit that I would consider purchasing...

The_Forgotten stamps foot and demands bring backs that are builder's kits.... :rolleyes:

Green Dragon
02-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Actually, I will be much interested in the Nova Payloader - this being the original red with white trim, clear payload version ( hopes).

SOrt of a nice looking bird, with good looking fin design ( sort of Centuri-ish) , and hard to clone due to the white decals.

Also one I missed the first time around, so why not.... better than plastic RTF junk, like it or not :)

~ AL

barone
02-22-2007, 08:11 PM
.......... Sort of a nice looking bird, with good looking fin design ( sort of Centuri-ish) , and hard to clone due to the white decals.........

~ ALYeah....but watch them be the peal and stick decals :(

CPMcGraw
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah....but watch them be the peal and stick decals :(

Or, as I call 'em, "Peel-N-Cuss"...:o

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Or, as I call 'em, "Peel-N-Cuss"...:o

Or, as I call them, "Off to the landfill".

The_Forgotten
02-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Or as I call them, cheap, chinese imported "numba one decals... fo' you! " :mad:

Shreadvector
02-26-2007, 08:24 AM
I see a lawsuit:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/systemsintegration/astrovision.asp

Hey, that last one might not be so bad. We all know the AstroCam fits into an ST-13 body tube, so that might open up some possibilities for using SEMROC components...

Skill Level 1 on that Tomahawk? Sounds like a lot of plastic; maybe we can get a good payload section out of it...

Mark II
02-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I see a lawsuit:

http://www.panasonic.com/business/systemsintegration/astrovision.asp

Yup, there's a credible possibility that the Estes and Panasonic products could get confused with each other in the marketplace. :D

Mark Kulka

Shreadvector
03-01-2007, 05:40 PM
http://wavcentral.com/sounds/movies/jerk/jerk05.mp3

If you read the Estes Forum, you know what this means.....

clhug
05-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Oracle nose cone.

I was looking at these recently and don't understand something. The Oracle is a more expensive rocket (lists at $130) but supposedly has a worse camera (320x200 resolution) than the Astrovision (640x480 resolution lists at $75, including a launch kit!). It doesn't make sense to me that the more expensive rocket has a worse camera. From what I can tell, besides the camera, the only other difference between these is that the Astrovision only flies to 300 ft and the Oracle can go 600 ft. Can anybody explain this?

My only thought was that everywhere I've looked the Astrovision isn't available yet. I've read some places that it's due out in August. Thus I suppose being a newer rocket, maybe it uses newer technology for the camera, and possibly they'll update the Oracle with the better camera for next year. Any guesses?

I've always kind of wanted an Astrocam but never wanted to mess with the film. Now that I see they've got the digital cameras I'm very interested, but confused on the difference between these two.

Daniel Runyon
05-30-2007, 12:14 AM
Any guesses?

My guess is that the specs given for the Astrovision are for still photo mode only... for instance, it mentions the DPI and DPI is never really associated with video. I'm pretty sure they just left the video specs out of the release info and catalog altogether.

We asked about this on the now gone Estes forum and were told that the Astrovision has a 5 frame per second capture rate for the video... which is pretty bad. The Oracle is 15fps and folks were already screaming for more... I'm hoping that the fellow from Estes just fat fingered the keyboard and mistyped the 5, intending to type 15... surely to goodness. But if it is indeed 5 fps that would definitely explain the price difference. Perhaps you can contact Estes customer service and get some more specs.

Rocket Doctor
08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Speaking about potential Centuri bring backs, let me clrify what I said. If Centuri kits were to return, they probably would have more to do with Centuri then Estes,\.

Just remember, at one time, when Damon purchased Estes, then Centuri, Estes was producing both Estes kits and Centuri kits using the Penrose address, check out the kits form the late 60's.

Who knows what Estes is planning, it changes from month to month, and my four designs were dropped as I said when the forum stopped.

We will all have to wait and see what happens.
We will also have to wait and see about the release of the Red Max and the two Interceptors before we can start to talk about any potential Centuri designs, agree??