PDA

View Full Version : Nose cone weight question

six-o-one
03-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Been awhile (15 months since last launch and 6 months since completion of a rocket). Anyway, getting going again and was going through my fleet and checking them over found that the weight that went in the nosecone of my Cherokee DD has come loose and is just rattling around inside the plastic nosecone. Any thoughts on what is best to do? Obviously, I can figure out some options, just hoping for some informed help before I making something more difficult than it has to be. Thanks for any help.

Rob

samb
03-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Here's how I would do it:

Make a small hole in the nose cone base.
Secure the cone with the pointy end down and the weight as far forward as possible.
Pour in enough glue to cover the weight.

Right now I'm partial to polyurethane glue for this application: Elmers or Gorilla. It is one-part and expands to cover the weight while adding minimal weight of it's own. Epoxy can be used also but use an ice water bath to keep the plastic cone from melting during the cure. Generic 5 minute stuff is probably ok for this job.

six-o-one
03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Covered myself on this one. I am going to do what you suggested, but was out this weekend and bought a pack of the same nosecone and am going to do another one from the beginning. Thanks again.

Rob

handeman
03-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Right now I'm partial to polyurethane glue for this application: Elmers or Gorilla. It is one-part and expands to cover the weight while adding minimal weight of it's own. Epoxy can be used also but use an ice water bath to keep the plastic cone from melting during the cure. Generic 5 minute stuff is probably ok for this job.

I kit bash a lot of stuff and end up adding weight. I like the epoxy. I've never had a problem with the plastic melting but I usually use a 60 minute epoxy. Because of the long setup time, it flows well and soaks in better then the 5 minute. Of course, it you're out in the field, the 5 minute is definately the way to go.