PDA

View Full Version : Free decals?

Phred
03-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been working on some FSI decals, and I need beta testers. If anyone is building an FSI kit below, or have an already built rockett hat they would like to decorate, I will be glad to send them decals for free. All I ask is for some pictures I can use for the website.

Dart
Echo 1
Excalibur
Megatron
Micro
Nike Smoke
OSO
Penetrator
Sprint
Star Gazer
Voyager

If interested, pls email me at excelsior_rocketry@yahoo.com

Thanks!!
Phred

snaquin
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been working on some FSI decals, and I need beta testers. If anyone is building an FSI kit below, or have an already built rockett hat they would like to decorate, I will be glad to send them decals for free. All I ask is for some pictures I can use for the website.

Dart
Echo 1
Excalibur
Megatron
Micro
Nike Smoke
OSO
Penetrator
Sprint
Star Gazer
Voyager

Thanks!!
Phred

I just sent you an email. I'm building a Mach-1 Dart

Thanks,

barone
03-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Dart
Echo 1
Excalibur
Megatron
Micro
Nike Smoke
OSO
Penetrator
Sprint
Star Gazer
Voyager

Thanks!!
PhredNow Fred, I'm surprised you had to ask..... :D

snaquin
03-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Before .....

snaquin
03-13-2007, 08:30 PM
After .....

I realize the checkerboards and "Dart" decal were for the older version FSI Dart, and the roll pattern and the red bird riding the thunderbolt for the newer version FSI Dart. Since Phred provided these as "beta" test decals I tried to use as many as I could.

The flash camera shots unfortunately wash out some of the detail but these are very sharp and clean.

Thanks Phred and I promise some better (outdoor) shots by the weekend for your website.

:D

Jeffrey Moon
03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Greetings,
Steve I have wanted to clone that bird but have been missing the specs on the booster. Could you steer me to them ?
Jeff Moon
Lemunit64@yahoo.com

snaquin
03-13-2007, 10:26 PM
The booster for the Mach-1 Dart was an F100-0 motor with three fins and a launch lug glued directly to the cardboard F100 motor casing. The original versions I had shared the same fin pattern as the MRK-III Nova and the fins were mounted on the F100 equidistant from the front and rear of the motor case. The D20 in the Dart had a 1" overhang past the rear of the Dart and slip fit into the top I.D. of the F100-0 ..... that is what coupled the stages together. Fins were 1/16" 3-ply plywood same as most other FSI kits.

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-III/fsiMRK-III.htm

This is not an original booster. I constructed it from a 6" length of Semroc ST-11 tubing and will most likely mount a 24mm motor mount inside it to allow D12-0 motors in the booster. At the moment the booster tube is an empty ST-11 with a peeled and beveled Estes cardboard centering ring & Semroc HTC-8F so should I find someone with an F100-0 at a local launch I can just slip the F100-0 into my booster, same as you would an OSO or Voyager rocket.

The picture below is an original Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System that I built and flew in June 1978 near the high school I was attending at that time. I launched that one using my FSI LP-2B launch pad with a 1/4" rod and the Dart was recovered near the water tower on the left in the distance.

*Edit*

I forgot to include a link to a packaged RX-1 Thruster System on the FSI motors page at the Dale Windsor website. Bottom left hand corner-two images. You can see both the booster and sustainer motor, the electric match igniter and the fin set inside the package.

http://jdwindsor.net/Model%20Rockets/fsi.html

Hope this helps.

Green Dragon
03-16-2007, 06:26 PM
The picture below is an original Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System that I built and flew in June 1978 near the high school I was attending at that time. I launched that one using my FSI LP-2B launch pad with a 1/4" rod and the Dart was recovered near the water tower on the left in the distance.

Steve,

Note the chrome / 'mod' decor on your Dart.

Mine in my fleet ( no booster) is similarly painted, metallic auto paint, chrome trim and the original FSI chrome address label .... I could not bring myself to repaint for Phred's decals, so might have to clone wone with booster - yours looks great.

My Echo 1 clone ( original FSI parts except Semroc cone) and Semroc parts Penetrator should be getting done soon, and Phred's decals ( beta test ) were on the way, I heard :), .. thanks Phred ...
might be a few weeks / months before I get to paint,however, right now we're getitng a foot and a half of snow dumped on us ....

~ AL

John Dyer
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
After .....

I realize the checkerboards and "Dart" decal were for the older version FSI Dart, and the roll pattern and the red bird riding the thunderbolt for the newer version FSI Dart. Since Phred provided these as "beta" test decals I tried to use as many as I could.

The flash camera shots unfortunately wash out some of the detail but these are very sharp and clean.

Thanks Phred and I promise some better (outdoor) shots by the weekend for your website.

hmmm... I don"t ever remember the Mach 1 Dart having decals... It does looking great though!

maricopasem
03-19-2007, 03:05 PM
This is the FSI Star Gazer, scratch built. Just after I started it, Phred offered the beta decals on the FSI kits and was kind enough to send me some for this bird. They appear to be of excellent quality and I'm excited to get them placed. Hopefully the paint will be done in a day or two and this beast will be ready to go.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
This is the FSI Star Gazer, scratch built. Just after I started it, Phred offered the beta decals on the FSI kits and was kind enough to send me some for this bird. They appear to be of excellent quality and I'm excited to get them placed. Hopefully the paint will be done in a day or two and this beast will be ready to go.

I have recently built several FSI clones, with more on the way. I am planning to build my way through their entire catalog.

Attached are some pictures of the ones that I have built so far: Nova, Orbit, Oso, and Star Gazer. I also have an Eos and a Viking I that are almost complete, and will shortly be starting on a Hercules, followed by a Voyager and a Penetrator.

Mark Kulka

Addendum: I will also be starting a Viking II soon as well.

John Dyer
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I have recently built several FSI clones, with more on the way. I am planning to build my way through their entire catalog.

Attached are some pictures of the ones that I have built so far: Nova, Orbit, Oso, and Star Gazer. I also have an Eos and a Viking I that are almost complete, and will shortly be starting on a Hercules, followed by a Voyager and a Penetrator.

Mark Kulka

Good job!
By the way, whats that white stuff in your back yard???

John

barone
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM

Mark Kulka

Addendum: I will also be starting a Viking II soon as well.Mark,

Looks like a great start. I assume you're getting your parts from Semroc. The builds look a lot straighter than they do using the stock kits.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Good job!

John

The remains of what had been (until last week) a 3 ft. blanket of snow. You can see that some of what remained was sublimating when I took the shot. :cool:

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Mark K.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 07:17 PM
Mark,

Looks like a great start. I assume you're getting your parts from Semroc. The builds look a lot straighter than they do using the stock kits.

You are correct, sir. Since I have never seen any of their actual kits, I am going strictly by the plans posted in YORP. In a few areas so far, I have had to do some detective work, such as when there are no body tube lengths listed. But that's OK, though, because I think it will make me a better builder in the end. I have been getting clues about each of the builds from the photos in the various FSI catalogs archived at Ninfinger. I spent last night and today fretting over the proper dimensions of the Viking I (and going through a lot of ST-8F :( ), because the dimensions included in the addendum to the plans appeared (to me, at least) to be a bit off. (I think that I finally have them all worked out, but now I need to order more ST-8F. :o )

I am glad to hear that seem to be on the right track so far, and I am especially very relieved that my scratch-built Star Gazer appears to be a close match to the one built by maricopasem. (Whew!).

Mark K.

Green Dragon
03-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Good job!

John

hmmm... guys who never saw snow... Mark , you want to kill him yourself, or can I ?

~ AL

Green Dragon
03-28-2007, 07:44 PM

Mark Kulka

Mark,

lookin good :)

especially like the Nova and Orbit builds, never had either, and both have nice lines, might have to add a few more to the build pile :-)

The Semroc parts look like a good match as well... just starting my Penetrator ( all Semroc ) , and my Echo 1 ( all vintage FSI except Semroc cone ), plus my OSO clone ( all vintage FSI except the Semroc balsa coupler ) .
look forward to seeing more of the FSI stuff , they were nice kits when available, I was an FSI dealer, circa 1986-7 until the end, so flew and saw quite a few of those.

if you can make a Metra launch ( such as Nerrf :) , lmk and I'll set you up with some nice 21mm motors for those ( albeit composite, not blackpowder propellant , lol )

~ AL

barone
03-28-2007, 07:55 PM
You are correct, sir. Since I have never seen any of their actual kits, I am going strictly by the plans posted in YORP. In a few areas so far, I have had to do some detective work, such as when there are no body tube lengths listed. But that's OK, though, because I think it will make me a better builder in the end. I have been getting clues about each of the builds from the photos in the various FSI catalogs archived at Ninfinger. I spent last night and today fretting over the proper dimensions of the Viking I (and going through a lot of ST-8F :( ), because the dimensions included in the addendum to the plans appeared (to me, at least) to be a bit off. (I think that I finally have them all worked out, but now I need to order more ST-8F. :o )

I am glad to hear that seem to be on the right track so far, and I am especially very relieved that my scratch-built Star Gazer appears to be a close match to the one built by maricopasem. (Whew!).

Mark K.Mark,

If you are looking for a particular length on any of them, just let me know. I've got at least one of every kit (with the exception of the Nike Tomahawk), most still waiting to be built. May take me a while to find it but I'd be glad to help out another FSI fan.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
hmmm... guys who never saw snow... Mark , you want to kill him yourself, or can I ?

~ AL

I'll let you take the first shot. :D

Mark

maricopasem
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Mark K.

I'm flattered. I was just thinking the same thing: "I'm glad mine looks pretty much the same as Mark II's." :)

I'm working on the paint right now and hope to have decals affixed by the weekend.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Mark,

lookin good :)

especially like the Nova and Orbit builds, never had either, and both have nice lines, might have to add a few more to the build pile :-)

The Semroc parts look like a good match as well... just starting my Penetrator ( all Semroc ) , and my Echo 1 ( all vintage FSI except Semroc cone ), plus my OSO clone ( all vintage FSI except the Semroc balsa coupler ) .
look forward to seeing more of the FSI stuff , they were nice kits when available, I was an FSI dealer, circa 1986-7 until the end, so flew and saw quite a few of those.

Well, OK, I am looking for some clues/advice regarding color schemes that were typically used on these models (no color pics in the FSI catalogs :( ),

if you can make a Metra launch ( such as Nerrf :) , lmk and I'll set you up with some nice 21mm motors for those ( albeit composite, not blackpowder propellant , lol )

~ AL

Ooo, ooo, I'll have to see... That just might be enough to lure me out of the woods!

Mark

Mark II
03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm flattered. I was just thinking the same thing: "I'm glad mine looks pretty much the same as Mark II's." :)

I'm working on the paint right now and hope to have decals affixed by the weekend.

Great! I can't wait to see it! :)

Mark

Mark II
03-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Mark,

If you are looking for a particular length on any of them, just let me know. I've got at least one of every kit (with the exception of the Nike Tomahawk), most still waiting to be built. May take me a while to find it but I'd be glad to help out another FSI fan.

Don, how accurate are the overall lengths of each model that were stated in the FSI catalogs and plans (post 1971 models, where applicable)? I am wondering because I use the stated overall length to help deduce the lengths of some of the parts (when no dimensions are listed, which is often the case).

For the Viking I, I eventually came up with a length of 4.5" for the stabilizers (aka tube fins), with a miter of 45 deg. To reach the stated length of 20" for the overall model, the main BT would therefore need to be 16.375" long. (A 45 deg. miter on the tube fins gives them a "sweep" of 0.875". Adding that to the nc length of 2.75", and then subtracting the sum from 20" yields this length for the BT.) Am I in the ballpark here?

TIA,

Mark

barone
03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
......For the Viking I, I eventually came up with a length of 4.5" for the stabilizers (aka tube fins), with a miter of 45 deg. To reach the stated length of 20" for the overall model, the main BT would therefore need to be 16.375" long. (A 45 deg. miter on the tube fins gives them a "sweep" of 0.875". Adding that to the nc length of 2.75", and then subtracting the sum from 20" yields this length for the BT.) Am I in the ballpark here?

TIA,

MarkMark,

The Viking I main body tube is actually made of two, one is 9" and the other is 9 1/8". Kind of blows the size thing a little. The stabilizers have an overall length of 4.75". I don't have a protractor but the cut is definately not 45 degrees....it's more like 30. Nosecone length (shoulder to tip) is 2 7/8". Overall length is closer to 22.25". This link might help you out.....

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-9/fsiMRK-9.htm

The last page provides some info concerning the parts. It list two lengths of BT at 9 inches each. Mine measured as stated above. It also confirms the 30 degree miter cuts on the stabilizers and provides a link to a tool for making the cuts. Below is an image for the stabilizers that may help you. Need anything else, just let me know.

Mark II
03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Mark,

The Viking I main body tube is actually made of two, one is 9" and the other is 9 1/8". Kind of blows the size thing a little. The stabilizers have an overall length of 4.75". I don't have a protractor but the cut is definately not 45 degrees....it's more like 30. Nosecone length (shoulder to tip) is 2 7/8". Overall length is closer to 22.25". This link might help you out.....

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-9/fsiMRK-9.htm

The last page provides some info concerning the parts. It list two lengths of BT at 9 inches each. Mine measured as stated above. It also confirms the 30 degree miter cuts on the stabilizers and provides a link to a tool for making the cuts. Below is an image for the stabilizers that may help you. Need anything else, just let me know.
Thanks, Don! I had originally cut 3" tubes for the stabilizers, just as it stated in the plans. They didn't look right, though, so I began to reassess all of the kit's dimensions, using, among other things, fuzzy scale-ups of photos of the model taken from the scanned catalog pages. I thought that the tubes that I had cut with the dimensions I came up with looked about right, but no amount of deduction on my part can ever beat having measurements to use that were taken from the actual parts from an actual kit. Now that I have some verified measurements to work with, I can be confident that I am building an accurate reproduction. :)

Just one more clarification: is the bevel measured 30 deg. from the horizontal top of the tube, or is it measured from the vertical length (long axis) of the tube? The attached photos should explain what I mean. The first photo illustrates a bevel that is 30 deg. from the top of the tube. The second photo shows a bevel that is 30 deg. from the vertical length. (These are a couple of the 3" stabilizers that I originally cut, BTW.)

Mark

barone
03-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Mark,

You should be able to place a protractor over the image I attached to my earlier post and get the info you're looking for. I would describe it as if the tube were laying flat, 30 degrees as measured from the horizontal surface. By the way, although my tubes had different measurements, the instructions say they are equal lengths. So I'd image that they should be two lengths of 9" BT. Personnally, for a clone, I'd just go with the single 18" BT. I think the two 9 inchers were used to get the kit into a smaller package.

Since this thread is for free decals, why not start a second thread.....something like FSI Cloning and Build Thread. I wouldn't think to look at this thread to find this kind of info....

barone
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Here's my FSI Sprint with decals from Phred. This is an original kit build but I liked the quality of Phred's decals so much better than what was in the kit. Cleaner, crisper lines. Thanks Phred. But I'd really like to make a try at the earlier version you did off the kit panel. It was neat! :D

Mark II
04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's my FSI Sprint with decals from Phred. This is an original kit build but I liked the quality of Phred's decals so much better than what was in the kit. Cleaner, crisper lines. Thanks Phred. But I'd really like to make a try at the earlier version you did off the kit panel. It was neat! :D
Mmmm...I can't wait to get my hands on some of Phreds's FSI decals! :D

Mark

Bob Kaplow
06-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Mine in my fleet ( no booster) is similarly painted, metallic auto paint, chrome trim and the original FSI chrome address label .... I could not bring myself to repaint for Phred's decals, so might have to clone wone with booster - yours looks great.

Digging this up for the reference, does any one know where to get those chrome name and address labels made? Years ago I had name and address labels made up for my rockets, but:

1) They printed them on gold paper stock, not the Mylar I asked for.

2) When I complained, the redid them on clear plastic so the printing didn't show on dark surfaces.

3) The gold stock dried over time and no longer sticks.

4) The clear stock printing rubs off when used on cameras, GPS, computer, etc.

5) My area code changed a decade back, and I never bothered to get new ones.

6) The bozos sold my name to Ed McMahon faster than they shipped me the labels! I may have already won...

So this time I'd really like to get them printed on chrome (or gold) Mylar stock that will hold up and not rub off.

Any one know where to get these?

mycrofte
06-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Yeah, it's to bad you HAVE to laser print that stuff. Ink Jet just rubs off. I've written several emails over the years but never get a good reply.

You would think, after 20 years they would figure out how to make better jet ink...