PDA

View Full Version : Pershing Missile fins?

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I bought a couple of Pershing 1-A cones off of Gordon last summer and immediately started on a BT-70 based, 24mm powered version. I'm done now except for the small lower fins, which I can't seem to get to come out looking anything like the drawings that I have. My fins are coming out curved instead of diamond shaped, and I'd be ashamed to show up at the range with them looking like this. For all of you who might have built a Pershing in the past, can you give me any tips as to how to get the lower fins to turn out right? I've made four attempts, none of which have survived the initial inspection. I'd appreciate any tips.

tbzep
03-06-2007, 07:25 AM
I did some diamond airfoil fins for a friend once, but haven't done any Pershing fins. I cheated and used a small piece of hardwood for the thick part of the diamond and glued balsa on either side for the taper. The hardwood gave me a more resistant surface to sand from and by the end I had a nice diamond airfoil. I made the hardwood strip just a hair wider than the finished width I was shooting for so that I wouldn't sand too much off of it during shaping.

sandman
03-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Bill, I had real good luck making them from cardstock.]

Nice crisp edges, real light and real strong.

PM me your address and I'll print out a set and mail it to you.

Here's a pdf of the BT-80 fins but I can scale them to BT-70 for you.

sandman
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Well, I've been getting some requests for different sizes so here goes.

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Bill, I had real good luck making them from cardstock.]

Nice crisp edges, real light and real strong.

PM me your address and I'll print out a set and mail it to you.

Here's a pdf of the BT-80 fins but I can scale them to BT-70 for you.

I never thought of that. :rolleyes:
Should have gone to the source from the start, being that I bought the cones from you. Thanks, Gordon. ;)

sandman
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Not sure about the BT-101 fins using cardstock but it should work.

It works just fine for the BT-60 and BT-80 version I build.

If anyone need a lead "slug" for thier Pershing nose cone I have them now.

The BT-80 lead "slug" is 4.2 oz. and slips into the hole in the center section of the nose cone.

sandman
03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
:mad:

I've probably made and sold almost 40 of the Pershing nose cones and I wanna see some pics!

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-19-2007, 06:23 PM
:mad:

I've probably made and sold almost 40 of the Pershing nose cones and I wanna see some pics!

I have to travel this weekend to a speech tournament where I won't be allowed to watch my daughter compete. I'll take my BT-70 version and see if I can sneak back to the hotel room to do some work while the competition is going on. We both have cell phones and I'll only be three miles away. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
03-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I have to travel this weekend to a speech tournament where I won't be allowed to watch my daughter compete. I'll take my BT-70 version and see if I can sneak back to the hotel room to do some work while the competition is going on. We both have cell phones and I'll only be three miles away. :rolleyes:
Ehhhh? Why can't you watch her compete?!?

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Ehhhh? Why can't you watch her compete?!?

Don't know, and don't care to ask. I'd probably only make her nervous and be bored out of my skull anyway. I watch her do ice skating, track, and cross country, so I'm hitting .750. :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
I watch her do ice skating, track, and cross country, so I'm hitting .750. :rolleyes:
Sounds like my daughter. She's in ice skating (have to pick her up in 5 minutes from practice) and will be in Cross Country and Track this coming freshman year of high school.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like my daughter. She's in ice skating (have to pick her up in 5 minutes from practice) and will be in Cross Country and Track this coming freshman year of high school.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :o

No kidding. Sarah will be a freshman this year also. How long has your daughter been in ice skating? Has she done any traveling for competitions? Maybe we'll get another chance to beer loft. :D Sarah has only done one competition, and it was local, but she's been making noise about a bigger one this summer. She skates on Monday and Friday, has track on Tuesday and Thursday, and speech on Wednesday. Guess how she gets to them all? :rolleyes: