PDA

View Full Version : Display model and request for Estes

gpoehlein
08-12-2015, 06:04 AM
I thought I should post a couple photos of the display rocket I built a couple weeks ago for a display at our local museum. They were holding a one day celebration of the Apollo 11 anniversary and invited our NAR chapter out to set up a static display (they would have liked us to fly some as well, but the museum is situated on a narrow strip of land between a busy four lane expressway and the Ohio River - so we decided to forego launches). I decided a clear-bodied rocket would be a nice addition to out display, so I built one from a length of fluorescent tube shield, which is just a bit bugger that BT-60. I made three fins from clear styrene and added a giant thrust ring made from layers of toilet paper core and an outer layer of green construction paper to make it look like an oversized version of the real thing. I also made a cutaway dummy motor from CT-60 coupler stock with a couple layers of paper towel core inside to make it scale thickness. Some paper clay for the layers inside the propellant, a wrap for the outside to make it look like the real thing, and a giant replica igniter, and I had a 2.6x upscale Estes Wizard for display. Tissue paper wadding, a big red parachute (attached with a magic tape version of the standard Estes shock cord mount and a PNC-60AH nose cone salvaged from a crashed Mean Machine completed the display model.

Now the request for John and Estes - any chance of a possible bring back of the clear version of the Alpha III - the Phantom? It is sorely missed for displayed like this!

gpoehlein
08-12-2015, 06:06 AM
A couple more photos of our display:

JohnNGA
08-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Nice work on the phantom clone, display looks awesome...bet I know which display will attract the most youngsters and (probably will catch the eye of some old rocketeers).

JumpJet
08-12-2015, 08:51 AM
clear version of the Alpha III - the Phantom?

I would like to see the Phantom brought back as well and I've brought this subject up several times over the past five years. I can't say if it's coming or not but it's on the Estes Radar at least.

John Boren

BEC
08-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Just in case I haven't said so....add my voice to the "please bring back the Phantom" chorus (and may I suggest with a 5.5 inch body tube so that it's the same length as an Alpha III as well, rather than cramped as it can be with the 4 inch tube).

I bring one (an eBay find a few years ago) with me to most launches and to displays such as the one Greg describes and use it a great deal to describe "what's going on inside" to folks.

Greg - neat stuff!

gpoehlein
08-12-2015, 10:34 AM
I would like to see the Phantom brought back as well and I've brought this subject up several times over the past five years. I can't say if it's coming or not but it's on the Estes Radar at least.

John Boren

Thanks for the feedback, John! Consideration of the return of the Phantom is all I ask! ;)

ghrocketman
08-12-2015, 11:53 AM
+1 to thinking bringing back the Phantom would be a great instructional tool.

I remember back when I was a freshman in high school one FOOL decided to launch his Phantom.
Flew great ONCE; naturally the ejection charge heat/flame permanently WARPED/CRAZED the main clear body tube and turned it a grungy sulphurated yellow color.
Successfully ejected the chute for good recovery.

stefanj
08-12-2015, 11:54 AM
I like the Phantom Wizard!

I came across (dumpster diving) a big chunk of clear tube that I'm not sure what to do with. It is about 3" by 48".

I could turn it into several clear payload sections, but a clear display rocket is another possibility.

One neat trick would be to make it into a FLYING clear display model, with a motor mount inside of a cut-away dummy motor, a cleverly hidden stuffer tube and a "real" parachute compartment hidden inside a display one.

I'd need a custom cone made, and centering rings. I think I could fabricate a cut-away motor and other stuff.