PDA

View Full Version : First Launches of 2007 -- NE Missouri

Solomoriah
03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Taylor (my daughter), Justin ( the neighbor kid I've been teaching about rocketry) and I launched several times today. Yesterday was the first day that would have been fit for rocketry, but I had other commitments, so today was the day.

SEVERAL launches... we've been stocking up on engines, every time Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon. Here's a rundown:

My Lucky Seven (the plastic Estes rocket), on an A10-3T. I expected such a heavy bird to have a low flight, and as it was breezier than I prefer I thought it'd be a good test. Perfect flight.

Justin's Quest Flash on an A8-3. Another perfect flight. Only in-air catch of the day, made by Taylor.

My daughter's 13mm Delta, on an A10-3T. Perfect flight. Yes, I know you are supposed to use an A10-PT, but I felt sure it would work fine on an A10-PT and it did.

My Edmond's Tinee, on an A3-4T. Came over a bit more than I'd like before popping the engine, and if it weren't for my wife's eagle eyes I would have lost it. I'm afraid to paint it for fear of making it too heavy, so I think I'm going to stain it... darkening it should help me track it in the air.

Justin's 13mm Six, on an A10-3T. Beautiful flight, but the nose cone didn't pop and it lawn-darted.

My Slidewhistle on an A3-4T. Spun like a top going up, and blew out the "nose cone" instead of ejecting the engine. Costs about $0.02 each, so no big loss. It DID fly well. I'm going to dribble glue into the nose of the next one I fly in hopes it will hold together. (The Slidewhistle plans are on my website.)

Taylor's 13mm Six on an A10-3T. Flew just like Justin's, including the lawn dart landing.

Justin's Flash again, on a B6-4. Very pretty flight, perfect deployment.

My Stingray (one of those ready-to-fly rockets they sell at Wal-Mart) on an A3-4T. Beautiful flight, but instead of popping the nose cone, the engine retaining ring blew off. Never see THAT part again.

Justin's Flash again, on another B6-4, and another pretty flight. Everyone seems to like to watch it fly. He painted it hot pink so he wouldn't lose it.

Taylor's Shark Attack (another ready-to-fly rocket), flew just like my Stingray (as in, we'll never see that retaining ring again). I think I'm going to glue the nosecones in and let them intentionally lawn-dart after ejecting the engine casing.

Justin's Flash yet again, on an A8-3 (no B6-4s left) and my Quest Sprint on an A8-3, launched as close to simultaneous as possible. Perfect flights.

My 20+ year old Alpha, refurbished with an aluminized mylar parachute, on a C6-5. Very cool flight, good deployment, long drift... landed way outside the field, but Justin recovered it. Moral: Always launch with kids so you don't have to chase your rocket.

Justin's Flash again on a B6-4 (found another B6-4 after all). Another nice flight.

Justin's Flash one more time, on a C6-5. Flew like it was going to the moon, but we had carefully adjusted the angle of the launch stand, and it landed within the field and was recovered perfectly.

After all those flights, the Flash still looked good. Then Justin sat on it. Broke off two fins at the root. He has reglued them, and I expect more excellent flights out of it.

barone
03-11-2007, 07:56 PM
:) Wow....a lot of flying done. For your Tinee (or any glider), you can use marking pens (like Sharpie's) to color and they add virtually no weight. I color the undersides black (visibility while in the air) and the tops some bight color like red or orange to make it easier to find on the ground.

JRThro
03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a great day of flying!

And it sure does look like winter in Missouri in those pictures. (I'm originally from St. Charles.)

Solomoriah
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
St. Charles, eh? Positively tropical. I'm in the UPPER RIGHT HAND corner of Missouri, one and a half counties from the Iowa line and one county from the Mississippi. It's a long drive to St. Charles...

60 degrees or a bit more today. About as cool as I'm willing to stand around outside that long. Sunburned my balding head, though, so the sun had at least a little power.

mycrofte
07-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Over the 4th, I tried a couple of your Slidewhistles. I did add a hole to the nose AND added some dribbled glue on the inside of the cone.

Out of 4 shots only one flew. The other 3 launches ended up with the paper lug binding up on the launch rod...

Solomoriah
07-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Strange. Lug binding has never been a problem with any of my paper rockets (Slidewhistle nor Applewhite Six). Sorry it didn't work for you.

On the one flight, did the "nose cone" survive?