PDA

View Full Version : Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for the Historian-Craftsman

Gus
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I would like to buy a copy of Peter Alway's Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for the Historian-Craftsman (Paperback - Nov 1990).

Please PM or email me if you have a copy you'd be willing to part with.

Thanks,

Gus

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Another book that Peter needs to do another run of. I emailed him years ago about it. Maybe we need to do an email campaign. I think he also did one called "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" that I coveted.

Chris_Timm
03-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Those are very rare indeed!
I wonder how much a new-still-shrink-wrapped edition would go for?
Or maybe an autographed-by-the-aurthor edition?
There might just be one at the NARAM auction this year. ;)
Or maybe not.

Gus
03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Another book that Peter needs to do another run of. I emailed him years ago about it. Maybe we need to do an email campaign. I think he also did one called "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" that I coveted.

Bill,

Peter is in my NAR section and last month he led a build session of his Backsliders. Afterwards I had him sign some of his books and we got into a fascinating discussion of new editions.

As should be obvious to all his readers, Peter is absolutely scrupulous about accuracy. Although we readers would probably be satisfied with simple reprints, Peter would insist on updating all out of date references to parts and companies no longer in existence and including new parts, etc. His personal standards are too high to allow him to put out work he knows is outdated. As we went through several books Pete picked pages at random and showed me the huge effort that would be required for him to be satisfied with an update.

He didn't rule out the possiblity of updating some of the older works, but he did make it clear that right now he doesn't have the passion that would be required to tolerate the drudgery involved.

handeman
03-23-2007, 08:45 PM
He didn't rule out the possiblity of updating some of the older works, but he did make it clear that right now he doesn't have the passion that would be required to tolerate the drudgery involved.

This sounds like the perfect project for a Wiki. If someone set it up and gave Peter the final approval authority, all the "drudgery" could be done by others while Peter could still maintain the standards he wants.

Gus
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Still looking for a copy of this volume.

I was hoping one would appear at the NARAM auction but no such luck.

If you have a copy you'd like to sell, please let me know.

Thanks.

Rocketking
08-20-2007, 05:02 AM
Gus, You have quality taste, I'll say that.

I remember attending the last Pearl River ModRoc Convention with that book under my arm.

I got to meet Bill Stine (this was Spring of '91, so just before Quest opened its doors) as well as Jim Flis. I got to sit in on a session with Bob Biedron, the former US Internats Scale Guru and have a lengthy chat with him afterward. Also saw the 'indoor rocketry' demonstration by Art Rose, also of the US International Team that saw several mini-micro rockets launched from a 'electronics box' pad held at arm's length. And provided the origin of Fliskits MttM tagline "Aim for the ceiling and try not to Miss!", because Art never had one hit the ceiling of the school Gymnasium!

Anyway, having this book printed again will take a great effort. And someone committed to doing it right.

Good Luck.

K.M.Knox
08-20-2007, 07:12 AM
I did find this when searching Barnes & Noble, not sure if it helps you out... $75 for it though, did not follow it up to see if they really have it or not.

Used copy of Scale Model Rocketry (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/used/listingResults.asp?z=y&stage=csListingResults&WID=17771312)

Gus
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Glen, Kurt,

Thanks for your thoughts.

The volume I am looking for is Peter's first, called Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for The Historian Craftsman. It preceded The Art of Scale Model Rocketry by four years (1990, 1994).

Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for The Historian Craftsman has a blue cover, while The Art of Scale Model Rocketry has a red cover.

The 1990 volume was replaced and updated by the 1994 volume and by Rockets of The World.

Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for The Historian Craftsman is occasionally offered by used book sellers but the prices are outrageous, especially for a book that has little practical use since it has been replaced by other, more complete works.

If anyone knows of a copy they'd like to sell or trade, please let me know.

moonzero2
08-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Since it is out of production, and never to be published again, could some who has a copy scan it in and post it some where on the internet for us all to view,... or would that break copy-right laws? :confused:

Gus
01-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Thought I'd bump this thread.

Through the generosity of one of you I was able to buy a very reasonably priced version that had been cut apart, 3-hole punched, and placed in a binder.

Very usable but I am still looking for a copy in the original blue paperback form.

If you have one, please pm me.

lurker01
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Since it is out of production, and never to be published again, could some who has a copy scan it in and post it some where on the internet for us all to view,... or would that break copy-right laws? :confused:

Bob,

You would have to get written permission from Peter to list his work on the web. He will have copyrights to his books for up to 57 years after his death.

Robert

Silverleaf
01-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Gus,

I've been searching through my sources all over the US and so far no joy on finding a copy.

Scale Model Rocketry: A Guide for the Historian-Craftsman (Paperback)
by Peter Alway (Author)
# ISBN-10: 0962787604
# ISBN-13: 978-0962787607

As well, I too am a freak for complete editions, and I've been searching for a couple of his gems to complete my collection:

Retro Rockets: Experimental Rockets 1926-1941
A book about the early liquid-fueled rockets of rocket pioneer Robert Goddard and his contemporaries in the US, Germany, and the Soviet Union.
# ISBN-10: 0962787663
# ISBN-13: 978-0962787669

Twelve Soviet Missiles of the Cold War
Historical summaries with dimensioned and color-keyed drawings of twelve Soviet missiles from the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's. Plastic bound, with color cover. 34 pages (8 1/2" x 11") and 17 photographs.

Includes:
Korolev R-1 (SS-1A Scunner--the Russian V-2)
Korolev R-2 (Pobeda, SS-2 Sibling, stretched V-2)
Korolev R-5 (SS-3 Shyster)
Korolev R-7 (Semyorka, SS-6 Sapwood, first stage of Vostok and Soyuz)
Korolev R-11 (SS-1B Scud A)
Korolev R-17 (SS-1C Scud B)
Yangel R-12 (SS-4 Sandal, Famous from Cuban Missile Crisis, first stage of small Cosmos satellite launcher)
Yangel R-14 (SS-5 Skean, first stage of large Cosmos satellite launcher)
Lavochkin V-300/R-113/S-25/Berkut (SA-1 Guild)
Lavochkin V-750/S-75/Dvina (SA-2 Guideline)
Lavochkin S-125/Neva/Perchora (SA-3 Goa)
Lavochkin V-1000/RZ-25 (Griffon anti-missile missile)

ISBN unknown

This (http://www.energia.ru/english/energia/launchers/rocket-r1.html) page lists most of the rockets above, but the drawings that Peter provides is what I'm after

Scale Bash
The art of turning commercial non-scale kits into scale models. 78 Scale model plans for 29 prototypes including patterns; shrouds and dimensioned and color-keyed drawings. 32 pages.

ISBN unknown

Cheers,

Digitalastro
01-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Silverleaf,

Commonwealth Displays has Retro Rockets and scale bash listed as in stock. It's on their web site hidden under mixed media.

sandman
01-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Silverleaf,

Commonwealth Displays has Retro Rockets and scale bash listed as in stock. It's on their web site hidden under mixed media.

Heck! I saw Retro Rockets on their wall last Thursday! ;)

Gus
04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread.

I'm still looking.

If you have one you'd be willing to part with, please let me know.