PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Charges?

Tau Zero
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I have some "old school" rocketry supplies to sell.

For any of you who've done this (or who use the mail to do it) regularly, here's my question, in a word: SHIPPING.

I want to send stuff out via Priority Mail, just to make sure the product is delivered safely and quickly. But I hear people grousing about how much shipping costs them, and that it was even *more* than what they actually paid for the item.

Should I determine the shipping charges ahead of time, and just factor them into the "advertised price?" I know some eBayers say they offer "free shipping," but is it *really* free? :confused:

Anyway, I'd like to make a little bit of money on what I have for sale, *and* have the customer pay for the "real world" shipping charges I'll have to pay. --I mean, I'm not the sales giant that SEMROC is. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Thanks for your responses,

barone
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I have some "old school" rocketry supplies to sell.

For any of you who've done this (or who use the mail to do it) regularly, here's my question, in a word: SHIPPING.

I want to send stuff out via Priority Mail, just to make sure the product is delivered safely and quickly. But I hear people grousing about how much shipping costs them, and that it was even *more* than what they actually paid for the item.

Should I determine the shipping charges ahead of time, and just factor them into the "advertised price?" I know some eBayers say they offer "free shipping," but is it *really* free? :confused:

Anyway, I'd like to make a little bit of money on what I have for sale, *and* have the customer pay for the "real world" shipping charges I'll have to pay. --I mean, I'm not the sales giant that SEMROC is. :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Thanks for your responses,Jay,
USPS offers some priority boxes....single charge for whatever you can fit into the box. I think the minimum is something like 3.95 (smallest box).

harsas
03-16-2007, 10:30 PM
The minimum priority mails cost is $4.05 (price increase), and this is for under one pound, and NOT in a flat rate box. They offer free boxes, both for the flat rate and standard priority. Flat rate is a good deal if the item is heavy. It is a couple dollars or so more than minimum, but they allow up to (I think) 4 pounds in the box. Otherwise, over a pound it is priced by weight and location. Sometimes the shipping is very high. Especially for built rockets that are a little larger. They usually require large boxes, which means more weight in packing materials, and possibly oversize charges. But the customer needs to be aware that they are responsible for it. I have had some complain, but no one ever said no.

Tau Zero
03-16-2007, 11:17 PM
USPS offers some priority boxes....single charge for whatever you can fit into the box. I think the minimum is something like 3.95 (smallest box).Don,

I have some of those, but the next size up costs around 8 dollars for up to two pounds. That's probably my main concern.

Most of what I have will fit into the smaller box, but there are some specialty nose cones that I'd prefer to send in the bigger box, just to prevent the possibility of them being crushed.

Thanks, and cheers,