PDA

View Full Version : Sky Dart II

tbzep
01-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Can someone post a photo comparison of the old Sky Dart compared to the current Sky Dart II? I'd like to know how close it is to the original. Specs show the new one is .4" shorter, so judging by that it isn't an exact replica. Comments would be welcome also.

JumpJet
01-13-2016, 11:10 PM
The difference in length between the two would be the nose cone length. The original used a balsa cone while the new one uses a plastic cone of longer length. The wing and fin should be within a pencil line thickness of the correct size. The body tube length is the same. The biggest difference in the two versions is the original version had side ducting made out of card stock that was folded and glued into place. The new version uses a body tube that is cut down it's length for the ducting. The way the elevator is held down by the engine pod is a little different and the inside motor tube doesn't use lead disks since lead is a no, no these day. It instead used steal washers.

John Boren

tbzep
01-14-2016, 09:36 AM
The difference in length between the two would be the nose cone length. The original used a balsa cone while the new one uses a plastic cone of longer length. The wing and fin should be within a pencil line thickness of the correct size. The body tube length is the same. The biggest difference in the two versions is the original version had side ducting made out of card stock that was folded and glued into place. The new version uses a body tube that is cut down it's length for the ducting. The way the elevator is held down by the engine pod is a little different and the inside motor tube doesn't use lead disks since lead is a no, no these day. It instead used steal washers.

John Boren
In other words, side ducting makes it look just different enough that I need one of each. :D

JumpJet
01-14-2016, 10:29 AM
NO, I believe you need 2 of each, one to build and fly and one to stash away!

John Boren

Newbomb Turk
01-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Beautiful.

tbzep
01-14-2016, 01:15 PM
NO, I believe you need 2 of each, one to build and fly and one to stash away!

John Boren
Good point!