PDA

View Full Version : New Estes Little Joe II--what's inside!

jeffyjeep
01-20-2016, 07:45 PM
I got back from Kokomo today and my LJII was waiting for me.

The kit's box is beautiful! The box is taped and not shrink-wrapped. The contents are absolutely premium! The only vacu-formed piece is the corrugated body wrap. The fins are molded styrene (thank God!)

Besides the assembly instructions is a complete LJII historical brochure with Centuri's original logo, price, address, and copyright date of 1968.

I haven't opened the packet yet, but it's POSSIBLE that the parachute is the red/white scale Apollo "long stripe" pattern.

jeffyjeep
01-20-2016, 07:46 PM
...and the rest.

Brent
01-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Very nice! Can't wait for mine to get here. Tracking says tomorrow.

dwmzmm
01-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Nice! Will have to order me one! :)

stefanj
01-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Thank you for the unboxing!

With all that heavy plastic, I can understand why a E30 was recommended.

doswonk
01-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Very nice! Just put in my order with AC Supply during lunch today. Website says "In Stock", unless it's lagging behind actual inventory because you guys cleaned 'em all out! :p Ordered 2, of course: one for a practice "boilerplate" run, and one to build the right way, for show.

I remember very clearly that my first Centuri catalog (1977 #1, I'm thinking) had a blow-out sale for the remaining 1/45 LJII kits. At the time, I wasn't interested in such a gnarly, aesthetically unpleasing rocket (plus, a lot of my meager rocket budget had to go for ENGINES), so I passed on the opportunity to get the original kit at an insanely low closeout price. Later coulda sold one or a dozen of 'em for a pretty penny on eBay. But my 11-year-old brain was not up to foreseeing eBay and the Internet back then!

Anyway, my Inner Geek has matured a great deal since then, and now I'm pretty excited about this kit.

doswonk
01-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Oh, and I like the clever "Photo by Jeffy Jeep" marker.

Web photo pirates beware of the Thrifty Man's Watermark!!

LeeR
01-20-2016, 10:10 PM
After recently constructing and attaching the 8 fins on the Estes Saturn 1B, this one is going to be a real pleasure!

dwmzmm
01-20-2016, 10:14 PM
After recently constructing and attaching the 8 fins on the Estes Saturn 1B, this one is going to be a real pleasure!

Come on LeeR, how about trying to construct the eight fins to the Estes (or SEMROC) 1/70 scale Saturn 1-B? The 1/100 scale version IS a breeze....... :D

LeeR
01-20-2016, 10:43 PM
Dave,

I actually plan to build my Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B this year. Are you telling me it may not be an absolute delight? :)

Now, the next big challenge will be redoing the fins on an old Estes Maxi Honest John. I tore the originals off in disgust in my "younger days". (It's gotta be about 20 years ago...)

I think I'll do built-up basswood and card stock this time. I have access to a laser so I may not have to hand cut the frame pieces.

dwmzmm
01-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Dave,

I actually plan to build my Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B this year. Are you telling me it may not be an absolute delight? :)

Now, the next big challenge will be redoing the fins on an old Estes Maxi Honest John. I tore the originals off in disgust in my "younger days". (It's gotta be about 20 years ago...)

I think I'll do built-up basswood and card stock this time. I have access to a laser so I may not have to hand cut the frame pieces.

I've done the 1/70 kit via SEMROC first (for the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo - 7 Lunchon in 2008), and that then motivated me to pull out my old Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B I had in storage for years and build it as well. Only difference was I used the Apogee Apollo Capsule/LES/RCS to speed up the build and add more details. Both are a real modelers build! :)

the mole
01-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNdyzotEAqU

jeffyjeep
01-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Take a look.

With hands like THESE, I'll never be a youtube star. (sniff) :(

sandman
01-21-2016, 08:25 AM
This is the coolest video of round A-004's flight, breakup and escape system.

Specifically starting just before the 14:00 minute mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=slUwVZJSVPY

BTW, according to USPS tracking my kits arrived at my post office at 7:45 this morning and should be here at about 1:00 this afternoon!

the mole
01-21-2016, 08:29 AM
It's not what the hands look like. It's the work they do, and your work looks pretty darn good.

hcmbanjo
01-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for posting the pictures, I was interested in seeing the body wrap and decals.
I've got two coming, should arrive tomorrow.
Pretty interesting they include the old brochure with the Centuri logo.
For us older builders, it's a nice salute to Centuri.

sandman
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Got mine a short time ago.

chrism
01-21-2016, 07:53 PM
If anyone can get Little Joe II at Hobby Lobby, please do tell!!!

dwmzmm
01-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Just ordered mine (from JohnRockets.com). Guess it'll arrive sometimes next week. :)

LeeR
01-21-2016, 10:02 PM

Baffles me when I see the odd mix of kits at Hobby Lobby. Most recently, ours had lots of RTFs and E2X, one PSII kit, and the Mercury Redstone. There were a couple regular kits, but Iusually ignore. It seems like it is always Magicians and Baby Berthas. I always wonder who decides what to stock.

A few years ago when the Interceptors were re-issued, out HLs stocked both the regular and the upscaled E version. I stocked up on both at 40% off over multiple weeks.

I ordered one from jonrocket.com, but would not mind buying some at discount at HL. Otherwise, I'll get a couple more at AC Supply.

astronwolf
01-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Seems like you need to ask Hobby Lobby. Everyone here has been getting theirs mail order as soon as it was available. Got my order today. Hobby Lobby? You're probably in for a wait. I suppose the extra 10% off is worth it.

LeeR
01-21-2016, 10:48 PM
Just ordered mine (from JohnRockets.com). Guess it'll arrive sometimes next week. :)

I ordered from jonrocket.com on 1/17 and I got a notice this afternoon that it shipped. I seem to recall that it was not even going to be in stock until the 25th.

Exciting!

dwmzmm
01-21-2016, 11:00 PM
I ordered from jonrocket.com on 1/17 and I got a notice this afternoon that it shipped. I seem to recall that it was not even going to be in stock until the 25th.

Exciting!

Yes, I checked Estes website and the price they're selling it is $49.99 so that's why I went with JonRocket.com (lower price and free shipping). Not sure if I'll build this kit as soon as it comes in, as I have a LOT of current models that needs serious repairs to be flight worthy once again.

jeffyjeep
01-22-2016, 04:57 PM
Seems like you need to ask Hobby Lobby. Everyone here has been getting theirs mail order as soon as it was available. Got my order today. Hobby Lobby? You're probably in for a wait. I suppose the extra 10% off is worth it.
The Hobby Lobby just North of me in Batavia, IL didn't have nor DID they have them.

dcastle
01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
The 4 I ordered from AC Supply just arrived a few minutes ago! Opened one of them, looks like an interesting build for certain. I'm wondering already if I should plan to use tube or liquid plastic cement for the plastic parts of the build (leaning towards the latter). Will have to see how others are building theirs.

tbzep
01-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Mine are in also. :cool:

jeffyjeep
01-22-2016, 06:21 PM
The 4 I ordered from AC Supply just arrived a few minutes ago! Opened one of them, looks like an interesting build for certain. I'm wondering already if I should plan to use tube or liquid plastic cement for the plastic parts of the build (leaning towards the latter). Will have to see how others are building theirs.
As for the styrene plastic fin halves and the LES scaffold I'll probably clamp the parts together and use Tenax7r with it's capillary action.

chrism
01-22-2016, 07:08 PM
As for the styrene plastic fin halves and the LES scaffold I'll probably clamp the parts together and use Tenax7r with it's capillary action.

Be careful with the Tenax, use too much and it will melt the plastic.

chrism
01-22-2016, 07:15 PM
Is the best way to attach the styrene body wrap the adhesive spray glue? Or are there other ways?

sandman
01-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Is the best way to attach the styrene body wrap the adhesive spray glue? Or are there other ways?

The instructions say "spray adhesive", but it doesn't specify what type or brand.

I've used brush on contact cement and it seems to work.

You have to spread it on, let it dry and it grabs INTANTLY!

So you have to be carful with it.

jeffyjeep
01-22-2016, 08:47 PM
+1 to the contact cement (a.k.a. "The Devil's mucous.)

Gordy's right. Spread it on thin, and onto both surfaces. Too thick may soften and "craze" the wrap. Plus, you have to get the position correct the first time because it has an iron-like grip and it can't be repositioned.

The way I do it is: cement approx 1/2" of the wrap onto the tube and get the alignment perfect before cementing the rest. To apply it I use a single-use acid brush. The brush that's in the bottle is usually pretty lame for accurate work.

It's (a little) easier than it sounds.

LeeR
01-22-2016, 09:38 PM
The instructions say "spray adhesive", but it doesn't specify what type or brand.

I've used brush on contact cement and it seems to work.

You have to spread it on, let it dry and it grabs INTANTLY!

So you have to be carful with it.

I've used 3M 77 spray in the past, with great results. I've recently used Elmer's spray adhesive on the wraps for my Saturn 1B, and saw no appreciable difference from the 3M. It was also about 1/2 the price of the 3M. (Bought it at Hobby Lobby, they carry both brands.)

Both are WAY less "grabby" than contact cement. You can reposition. Once in place, you just press everything down gently, working your way around the tube. And you only spray the wrap -- no need to spray both surfaces.

jeffyjeep
01-22-2016, 11:13 PM
I just noticed this.

Are the contents made in USA or only the bag?

astronwolf
01-23-2016, 06:05 AM
I've used 3M 77 spray in the past, with great results.
+1 - for the same reason Lee stated. It"s much easier for me to work with, and far less messy. An even thin coat is all you need.

Flash
01-23-2016, 07:46 AM
How about someone with the kit posting a copy of the instructs for study until our kits come in?

Jerry Irvine
01-23-2016, 08:28 AM
I just noticed this. Are the contents made in USA or only the bag?There is a trend to bring molding back onshore due to increasing labor costs in China. The port shut down by our unions really mucked up a lot of large companies plans. Quest has stated they are bringing molding back onshore.

It appears to be a trend.

jeffyjeep
01-23-2016, 08:38 AM
How about someone with the kit posting a copy of the instructs for study until our kits come in?

I hope this isn't copyrite infringement. I'm too pretty for jail. If it IS infringement then I respectfully request that the webmaster delete this post.

the mole
01-23-2016, 08:43 AM
The instructions from ESTES site.
http://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/007227_LITTLE_JOE_II.pdf

rocket.aero
01-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Are the contents made in USA or only the bag?

The box is marked as "Made in Guangdong, China." I suspect that certain kit components (Apollo capsule, airframe tube, etc.) were produced here in the US, then sent to China for inclusion in the kit.

Ltvscout
01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Listen to James' (rocket.aero) recommendation in his video:

rocket.aero
01-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Listen to James' (rocket.aero) recommendation in his video:

Here's a link to the stuff that I recommend in the video:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277?keyword=3m+90+adhesive

For the past several months I've been working on a scratch-built Little Joe I project that makes extensive use of embossed styrene wraps, and this stuff has been great for attaching those components. After trimming and marking the wrap location, you simply spray a thin layer on both of the contact surfaces. The solvent will flash off in 3 to 4 minutes, after which you apply the wrap. Unlike traditional contact cement any minor misalignments can be carefully pulled up and repositioned before the adhesive fully cures.

Please note that I recommend a THIN layer of the adhesive! On early tests there was some minor crazing on the styrene surface, which I attributed to a too-heavy application marring the plastic. Experimentation with scrap sheet styrene and and old body tube is highly recommended!

James

P.S.: Pics of the above-mentioned Little Joe project may be found at: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130403-1-12-Scale-Little-Joe-I-(was-Anyone-care-to-ID-this-component-)

Flash
01-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Thank you for the copy of the instructions! I couldn't find them in the archive on the Estes site.
Also enjoyed all the other good info on LJ2.

Got 3 coming from AC Supply.

tbzep
01-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Just an FYI on 3M spray adhesives from 3M. 77 (now Super 77) used to be the go-to for foam core wings, but the formulation changed and it now eats it. YMMV on the styrene sheets.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/3M%20Spray%20Adhesives.png

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/3M%20Spray%20Adhesives%202.png

JumpJet
01-23-2016, 02:09 PM
I've used Scotch Super 77 3M spray adhesive on 7 Little Joe II and other models using vacuum wraps over the past few moths. It did eat some white foam I just sprayed it on, but I've not had a problem with it on the Little Joe II.

John Boren

jeffyjeep
01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
I think I'll try it.

jeffyjeep
01-23-2016, 02:33 PM
I did some pre-assembly of the styrene parts. The fin halves and the nozzle halves fit together perfectly and I "welded" them from the inside using Tenax7r and a glass pipette. As for the LES scaffold, I assembled it IAW the instructions--but I used Tenax7r with a brush instead of tube type cement.

tbzep
01-23-2016, 02:36 PM
It's going to be so nice to assemble the big 1/45 tower after scratch building 1/100 towers to repair my Centuri Saturns. :cool:

chrism
01-23-2016, 06:16 PM
Here's a link to the stuff that I recommend in the video:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-17-6-oz-High-Strength-90-Spray-Adhesive-90-24/100151277?keyword=3m+90+adhesive

For the past several months I've been working on a scratch-built Little Joe I project that makes extensive use of embossed styrene wraps, and this stuff has been great for attaching those components. After trimming and marking the wrap location, you simply spray a thin layer on both of the contact surfaces. The solvent will flash off in 3 to 4 minutes, after which you apply the wrap. Unlike traditional contact cement any minor misalignments can be carefully pulled up and repositioned before the adhesive fully cures.

Please note that I recommend a THIN layer of the adhesive! On early tests there was some minor crazing on the styrene surface, which I attributed to a too-heavy application marring the plastic. Experimentation with scrap sheet styrene and and old body tube is highly recommended!

James

P.S.: Pics of the above-mentioned Little Joe project may be found at: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?130403-1-12-Scale-Little-Joe-I-(was-Anyone-care-to-ID-this-component-)

I watched your video, I enjoyed your review very much!

LeeR
01-23-2016, 06:20 PM
It's going to be so nice to assemble the big 1/45 tower after scratch building 1/100 towers to repair my Centuri Saturns. :cool:

I'm not sure my old hands have the dexterity to scratch build a 1/100 tower. I struggled to build the styrene tower recently on my Estes Saturn 1B. The language became quite colorful during the installation of the small ring within the tower. :o

And I agree, the big tower on the LJII will be a dream by comparison.

sandman
01-24-2016, 10:12 AM
I brought one of my new Little Joe II kits to our club's (HUVARS) annual holiday party last night and the consensus was very good but...

We found one scale error that should be easy to rectify.

The Little Joe II round that this model represents "appears" to be round A-004 but the capsule looks to be from round A-001 or the QTV.

The error seems to be the blast protective cover over the capsule is missing.

Round A-001 had no blast cover and the capsule in the kit is the same O.D. at the tube. To scale the LJII body is 154" in diameter but the A-004 had the blast cover. Round A-001 had the no fin actuators but this model has the larger actuators. You know those bump out thingys at the base of the fins.

The cover is 1" thick making the OD of the capsule 156" in diameter.

The cover actually slightly overlaps the service module. along with 7 seam strips and a teeny tiny window opening.

In a video I have of the flight of Apollo 11 a ground control person says (something like this), "altitude 45 miles down range, altitude 93 mile, speed 9,800 ft/sec (that's freakin' fast!), jettison escape tower."

Then you can hear Neil Armstrong say something like, "That's great, I can see out the window now."

So the blast cover covered the capsule and the window!

I think this can be easily reproduced with cardstock.

I'm going to work on that.

George, can you look over your drawings and verify that I'm reading this correctly?

I may be wrong...it has happened before.

chrism
01-24-2016, 12:29 PM
So, who is going to be the first to launch their Little Joe??

JumpJet
01-24-2016, 07:50 PM
I think you'll find most of the older Centuri and Estes Scale kits aren't exact scale replicas. This new version of the Little Joe II uses the same tooling for the capsule as the one from the 1970's, so it too won't be a perfect scale model.

John Boren

Flash
01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
I noticed some talk about weight between the centuri LJ2 and the Estes LJ2. The Centuri model had their main motor mount 1.5" from aft end with removal display nozzles which means little to no nose weight.

Estes model carries allot more weight aft, that is for sure.

I noticed that centuri wanted CG no less than 6.25" from aft end with LJ2 fully loaded ready for flight. If needed they had you to add weight to the the escape tower rocket.

I like the centuri shock cord mount to,way away from the motor.

Centuri used two parachutes and have the tower pointing up due to rigging. New kit is on one chute with tower pointing down.

Just some thoughts, no knocks against the Estes kit, love that baby!

So if someone wanted to lighten the new kit, they could move motor mount forward and make the fake engines for display only and removed for flight. Guess I will build one of my kits by instructions with improvements to the recovery system and the other in a lighten version with removable nozzles and recessed motor mount.

sandman
01-24-2016, 08:32 PM
I think you'll find most of the older Centuri and Estes Scale kits aren't exact scale replicas. This new version of the Little Joe II uses the same tooling for the capsule as the one from the 1970's, so it too won't be a perfect scale model.

John Boren

I'm sorry, I wasn't being critical. I had thought Estes used some of the old design.

I was thinking of a small simple adjustment that could make the model more accurate with the addition of a BPC.

JumpJet
01-24-2016, 08:43 PM
No problem Sandman. I just wanted to let people know the origin of the capsule. When I look back at all of the older scale kits produced by Estes I see all kinds of liberties taken. If tooling exists then I'm not going to spend the money to make newer tools that might be a little more accurate. There are several other bring backs in the works that a part or two may be re-tooled since NOBODY likes putting together Vacuum formed Fins while other parts will be left as is. I personally like a blank canvas were I can start from the beginning and work my way to the end the project the way I want it to be.

John Boren

Ltvscout
01-24-2016, 09:13 PM
No problem Sandman. I just wanted to let people know the origin of the capsule. When I look back at all of the older scale kits produced by Estes I see all kinds of liberties taken. If tooling exists then I'm not going to spend the money to make newer tools that might be a little more accurate. There are several other bring backs in the works that a part or two may be re-tooled since NOBODY likes putting together Vacuum formed Fins while other parts will be left as is. I personally like a blank canvas were I can start from the beginning and work my way to the end the project the way I want it to be.
John Boren
Hmmm, the Pershing 1A used vacuum formed fins. I wonder.... :D

the mole
01-24-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm batting, and hoping, and praying with my fingers cross,and my lucky penny in my pocket, and my four leaf clover in the other pocket that the Vacuum formed Fins he is talking about is the ones on the 1/100 Saturn 1B. Pleeeeeease. ;)

Flash
01-25-2016, 07:30 AM
I'm with you on that one and P1 would be nice to. I would also love to see John get hold of the 1/70 Saturn 1B.

After seeing what he has done with LJ2, these three kits would be awesome no doubt. I'm sure there are others to.

Again, John & Estes, thank you for bring back the thunder and lightning!!!
We salute you.

PS: LJ2 is a perfect model, perfection also has to do with fulling a intended purpose and LJ2 has more than done that!

JumpJet
01-25-2016, 11:35 AM
I tried the Maxi Brute Pershing 1A a couple years ago updated to Pro Series standards, since it is one of my favorite all time Missiles. Thicker body tube, injection molded fins, plywood centering rings, 29mm mount, nylon chute, etc. It needed 17 ounces of nose weight to fly correctly, so I killed it.

John Boren

Shreadvector
01-25-2016, 02:00 PM
I tried the Maxi Brute Pershing 1A a couple years ago updated to Pro Series standards, since it is one of my favorite all time Missiles. Thicker body tube, injection molded fins, plywood centering rings, 29mm mount, nylon chute, etc. It needed 17 ounces of nose weight to fly correctly, so I killed it.

John Boren

Good decision. Kill or Be Killed....

By the way, the new Honest John flies great.

Flash
01-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Giant V2 and Honest John!

tbzep
01-25-2016, 04:08 PM

John Boren
The original wasn't the most stable thing around and it was way under powered on the D12-3. I flew mine once and retired it immediately. This comes from a guy that enjoys watching a 1/70 Saturn 1B eject at 150 ft!

burkefj
01-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I've struggled with Pershings the same way, if you try to do anything robust it just kills you in the end. The only way I've gotten a decent sized pershing model to fly well on E motors was to do a 5.5" diameter version using a foam structure and skin with lightweight foam/plasitc fins and a 24mm stuffer tube and BT-80 parachute bay. I was able to get it to fly really well on F-32's at 20 oz all up weight ready to fly and flies to around 500 feet.

As a comparison I created a 4" version using BT-101 but with ply centerin rings and light fiberglass cone but it still came in at 3.3# once nose weight was added for a G-80 motor.....It flies to around 500 feet.

Frank

John Boren

Flash
01-25-2016, 04:53 PM
John, you like a clean table, how about a Pershing 1 using Estes 3" body tube? Stiil would be a good size rocket to.
Guess that would mean retooling which cost who knows what now days right?

jeffyjeep
01-25-2016, 05:17 PM
So, who is going to be the first to launch their Little Joe??
Launch? I won't even be able to work on building it--let alone launching it until I get back from Stratford, Ontario (hometown of Justin Beiber.)

rocket.aero
01-25-2016, 06:12 PM
...Stratford, Ontario (hometown of Justin Beiber.)

I'm willing to bet that Justin Bieber never built and flew model rockets when he was younger. Think of the cultural horrors that could have been avoided if someone had taken a young Beebs to a launch.

Ltvscout
01-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks for at least looking into it. I have another idea for a scale model re-release. Take a look at my handle for the hint. :D

frognbuff
01-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I've struggled with Pershings the same way, if you try to do anything robust it just kills you in the end. The only way I've gotten a decent sized pershing model to fly well on E motors was to do a 5.5" diameter version using a foam structure and skin with lightweight foam/plasitc fins and a 24mm stuffer tube and BT-80 parachute bay. I was able to get it to fly really well on F-32's at 20 oz all up weight ready to fly and flies to around 500 feet.

As a comparison I created a 4" version using BT-101 but with ply centerin rings and light fiberglass cone but it still came in at 3.3# once nose weight was added for a G-80 motor.....It flies to around 500 feet.

Frank

I created a set of cardboard fins that slipped over the Pershing 1A aft fins for flight and removed for display. Absolutely did the trick. Weighed almost nothing and pulled the CP aft quite nicely. I used composite E motors at the time, as the D12-3s were a bit too exciting for me as well. My favorite project was when I cut a Pershing in two and used a mercury switch ignition to make a two-stager. Worked like a champ with the "add-on" fins on the bottom and the regular second stage fins (no modifications). I ended up selling the bird to a friend who desperately wanted a Pershing 1A of his own.

I'd love to see the "big 3" maxi brutes return as well. The Maxi V2 will always be my personal favorite.

jeffyjeep
01-25-2016, 09:53 PM
I created a set of cardboard fins that slipped over the Pershing 1A aft fins for flight and removed for display. Absolutely did the trick. Weighed almost nothing and pulled the CP aft quite nicely. I used composite E motors at the time, as the D12-3s were a bit too exciting for me as well. My favorite project was when I cut a Pershing in two and used a mercury switch ignition to make a two-stager. Worked like a champ with the "add-on" fins on the bottom and the regular second stage fins (no modifications). I ended up selling the bird to a friend who desperately wanted a Pershing 1A of his own.

I'd love to see the "big 3" maxi brutes return as well. The Maxi V2 will always be my personal favorite.

That's awesome! Do you have any photos or video of the 2-stager?

jeffyjeep
01-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Again, John & Estes, thank you for bring back the thunder and lightning!!!
We salute you.

Perfectly stated! I couldn't have said it better.

LeeR
01-26-2016, 01:10 AM
In an earlier post, frognbuff mentioned the Maxi V-2 as a favorite. I'm building an old, 80s era Estes V-2. Posted on NAR page, and question came up about the Maxi. I bought one when it was re-issued, but had not looked at it in years.

Pulled it out of storage and shot a few pics. The vacuformed fins look pretty nice, and are faired like the real V-2. And the nose cone is pointy, as opposed to the rounded PNC-80K cone in my current V-2 build. Note, the 2.6" fins were oversized. I trimmed them to scale. Here are some pics:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/th_image_zpssnve0blu.jpeg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/hobbes_pics/media/image_zpssnve0blu.jpeg.html)

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii220/hobbes_pics/th_image_zpsy4t1kckf.jpeg (http://s265.photobucket.com/user/hobbes_pics/media/image_zpsy4t1kckf.jpeg.html)

tbzep
01-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Estes should re-release the Pershing 1A as a "non-flying model for display purposes only" like they did the camera rocket to get rid of remaining stock. We can then take the kit and mod it the way we like to get a bird that flies decently. :cool:

I'd personally go with an interchangeable mount so I could dial in small field demo flights. Three C6's will give a third more peak thrust than a D12 and more total impulse to boot. I'd build the bird stock other than the motor mount and use my old Centuri Saturn V clear fins for stabilization.

JumpJet
01-26-2016, 03:35 PM
to get rid of remaining stock

Sorry but there is NO remaining stock, nor does the tooling exists for the nose cone. Also Estes isn't known for selling static models apart from the clear Phantom rocket.

John Boren

5x7
01-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Estes should re-release the Pershing 1A as a "non-flying model for display purposes only" like they did the camera rocket to get rid of remaining stock. We can then take the kit and mod it the way we like to get a bird that flies decently. :cool:

I'd personally go with an interchangeable mount so I could dial in small field demo flights. Three C6's will give a third more peak thrust than a D12 and more total impulse to boot. I'd build the bird stock other than the motor mount and use my old Centuri Saturn V clear fins for stabilization.

I have a Centuri Sat V missing the clear fins...can you post a scan or picture of them with a ruler?

They are not in the plans avaible from Ye Olde Rocke Plans.

kurtschachner
01-26-2016, 05:42 PM
I have a Centuri Sat V missing the clear fins...can you post a scan or picture of them with a ruler?

They are not in the plans avaible from Ye Olde Rocke Plans.

Here it is, both a template and a scan of both sides of the fin.

tbzep
01-26-2016, 05:49 PM
Sorry but there is NO remaining stock, nor does the tooling exists for the nose cone. Also Estes isn't known for selling static models apart from the clear Phantom rocket.

John Boren
I was pretty sure of that.....just wishful thinking. Instead of saying "Estes should", I should have said, "I wish Estes would". ;)

Flash
01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Don't forget the Titan IIIe and old two engine Gemini Titan. On the Gemini, would be nice to improve the clear fin system which would make it a better kit.

I'm still for a 1/100 N1 Moon rocket setting beside the Saturns, it would be a hot seller for sure.

PS: Got my LJ2's today.

JumpJet
01-26-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm still for a 1/100 N1 Moon rocket setting beside the Saturns, it would be a hot seller for sure.

I am not sure it would be a hot seller, but I personally have been thinking about building one for a NARAM scale entry.

John Boren

5x7
01-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Here it is, both a template and a scan of both sides of the fin.

Thanks!!

frognbuff
01-26-2016, 08:30 PM
That's awesome! Do you have any photos or video of the 2-stager?

Sadly, no. All I have left is a "straight from the box" model that I refuse to fly. I know, I know. Blasphemy....

frognbuff
01-26-2016, 08:34 PM
I am not sure it would be a hot seller, but I personally have been thinking about building one for a NARAM scale entry.

John Boren

How about taking the new Honest John as the booster for a killer Black Brant XII?

dwmzmm
01-26-2016, 09:10 PM
Look what was waiting for me when I came home from work this evening! The new Estes 1/45 scale Apollo Little Joe - II kit! Ordered it from Jonrockets.com on Saturday and it's already arrived in great condition. The good folks from Jonrockets.com even gave me a nice plastic parachute as a token of appreciation of giving them my business!
This new model will allow me to finally retire my old model I bought from Centuri Engineering back in 1971, also a 1/45 scale model that's been a real classic for many, many years. It deserves a place in retirement after giving yours truly incredible thrills in the many flights it has undertaken. Below are four very memorable pictures that were taken in 2004 & 2005 when I was able to get back into the hobby after a 20+ year absence due to other commitments that took too much of my time for any hobbies. You'll see two of the pictures were taken at the Johnson Space Center (credit of those pictures belongs to Warren Benson of the NHRC NAR Section # 365) and the other two were taken by me at the National Sport Launch in 2004 in Hearne, TX.

ghrocketman
01-27-2016, 01:05 AM
My kit just arrived.
Will be building it in conjunction with my new Mercury Redstone kit.
Both should be fun builds.

stefanj
01-27-2016, 08:22 AM
My sister got a notification from Hobbylinc that my gift-LJII is on the way.

My new shepherd dog is also in shipping from a rescue group down in LA. We'll see which one arrives here first!

(I hope New Dog tolerates rockets better than Kira. )

I will build the LJII "stock." I look forward to designs for 8 x 13mm mounts others come up with, though.

Shreadvector
01-27-2016, 08:29 AM
My sister got a notification from Hobbylinc that my gift-LJII is on the way.

My new shepherd dog is also in shipping from a rescue group down in LA. We'll see which one arrives here first!

(I hope New Dog tolerates rockets better than Kira. )

I will build the LJII "stock." I look forward to designs for 8 x 13mm mounts others come up with, though.

Louisiana (LA) or Los Angeles (L.A.) ?

Westside German Shepherd Rescue? http://www.sheprescue.org/

That is where we found: http://www.sheprescue.org/Midnight%20von%20Munich.html

stefanj
01-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Yes, Westside!

Ivory will actually be on an overnight bus starting tomorrow evening.

http://www.sheprescue.org/Ivory%20von%20Irma.html

Midnight looks solid. Fairly level back and straight legs. did you adopting him?

Shreadvector
01-28-2016, 07:36 AM
Yes, Westside!

Ivory will actually be on an overnight bus starting tomorrow evening.

http://www.sheprescue.org/Ivory%20von%20Irma.html

Midnight looks solid. Fairly level back and straight legs. did you adopting him?

We adopted him just before the 2008 presidential election. I remember that because he went with us to the polling place. He also went to work with my wife 2 days after we got him. He was and is extremely well behaved and he is now a certified therapy dog (and he goes in for his biennial retest in April). he has his own photo ID and parking pass for the huge local hospital (he visits patients, especially those undergoing chemo, and their families).

He is approaching 9 years old (estimate) and is in very good shape. He gets very good food and massive exercise every day. The wife takes him on long walks every day which include hills.

stefanj
01-28-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm hoping my LJII arrives today!

I'd like to wet-sand and cement the plastic assemblies and let them sit for a few weeks, to get all the solvents out.

Last dog wasn't cut out for therapy work, but was a blood donor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Ltw3FDYfI

jadebox
01-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Look what was waiting for me when I came home from work this evening! The new Estes 1/45 scale Apollo Little Joe - II kit! Ordered it from Jonrocket.com on Saturday and it's already arrived in great condition. The good folks from Jonrocket.com even gave me a nice plastic parachute as a token of appreciation of giving them my business!

Thanks, Dave. Looking at your first photo, it occurs to me that our parachute might be a better match for the LJII than the one Estes provides. Our 'chute isn't big enough, but you could use two - one for the body and one for the capsule.

BTW, we are considering updating our "free shipping" offer soon due to the rise in postage rates. Right now, though, the LJII ships for free to US addresses.

-- Roger
JonRocket.com

dwmzmm
01-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks, Dave. Looking at your first photo, it occurs to me that our parachute might be a better match for the LJII than the one Estes provides. Our 'chute isn't big enough, but you could use two - one for the body and one for the capsule.

BTW, we are considering updating our "free shipping" offer soon due to the rise in postage rates. Right now, though, the LJII ships for free to US addresses.

-- Roger
JonRocket.com

You're welcome Roger! Only thing about using two parachutes, you'll need a recovery team to help track the two pieces during recovery. The 2nd picture I posted of my Centuri LJ - II launch at JSC, that particular launch I ALMOST lost the Apollo Capsule/LES when I had a very hard time trying to locate it after the flight. The grass there in the area was nearly knee high and I spent nearly an hour before I finally found it. Turn out it landed a bit closer to the launch area than I thought. :eek:

chrism
02-17-2016, 02:05 PM
Well my LJII is on the way, I ordered mine from Roger. It's nice to support those who are on the forum!

LeeR
02-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Well my LJII is on the way, I ordered mine from Roger. It's nice to support those who are on the forum!

Dittos, Mine came from jonrocket.com as well. Just been too cold to even think about building. I've got so many things that are built but awaiting paint. I want to wait to build the LJII when I can build and paint continuously.

johnnwwa
02-20-2016, 12:01 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Joe-II-Skin-Kit-for-New-Estes-1-45-Scale-Little-Joe-II-Model-Rocket-/222029094734?hash=item33b1f71f4e:g:dl4AAOSwll1Wx-J9

Ltvscout
02-20-2016, 07:26 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Joe-II-Skin-Kit-for-New-Estes-1-45-Scale-Little-Joe-II-Model-Rocket-/222029094734?hash=item33b1f71f4e:g:dl4AAOSwll1Wx-J9
This is awesome!

tbzep
02-20-2016, 08:07 AM
I grabbed one to use for my hangar queen. I don't know yet if I want to spend the $$$ for the other three that will eventually be flying models.

GuyNoir
02-20-2016, 08:33 AM

Ordered mine right away. Can't wait to get this puppy built and flying.

LeeR
02-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Ordered mine right away. Can't wait to get this puppy built and flying.

There is a terrific LJII build thread by James Duffy and George Gassaway over on TRF.

chrism
02-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Mine came in of Friday from Jonrocket! I am going to be watching others' build threads before I start mine.

chrism
02-20-2016, 06:25 PM

Anyone ever use one of these?

SEL
02-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Anyone ever use one of these?

I just ordered one yesterday. I'll post pics and opinions when it gets here.

Sean

LeeR
02-24-2016, 12:37 AM

Sean

I was surprised at how many wrap kits are offered. I have a bunch of Interceptor and Interceptor-E kits, and will likely do one of my Es in a wrap. (There are a lot of styles for the Interceptors.) There is also a wrap for the Mercury-Redstone.

chrism
02-24-2016, 02:32 PM

Sean

Sweet! I'll be watching.

jharding58
02-24-2016, 08:16 PM
With hands like THESE, I'll never be a youtube star. (sniff) :(

Did you find the motor clip recesses in the rings to build a seven motor version?

jadebox
02-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I ordered one of the warp sets for my wife. One of the Little Joe II kits we received had a scrunched box, so she claimed it for herself. She hasn't had much experience building rockets, but she's doing okay with the LJII so far. I've had to help her decipher the instructions in a few places, but, otherwise she's done everything. I think the wrap will make finishing less challenging for her.

BTW ... we (JonRocket.com) now have Plastistruct Bondene (http://www.jonrocket.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=60_159&products_id=1451) in stock now which some have recommended over standard plastic cement for joining the Styrene and ABS parts in the LJII kit.

-- Roger

georgegassaway
02-25-2016, 05:30 PM
There is a terrific LJII build thread by James Duffy and George Gassaway over on TRF.
Thanks for saying so.

- George Gassaway

sandman
02-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Sorry you guys went to all the trouble to reproduce the General Dynamics placard.

All you had to do was ask.

John Dyer
09-19-2016, 09:36 AM
Just an FYI (and because it's been awhile since anyone posted here)...

John Pursley developed a really nice set of LJII wraps -

He's on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accur8-2-in-1-Skin-Kit-Estes-Little-Joe-II-Mercury-Redstone-Model-Rocket-/322043260970?hash=item4afb46302a:g:ERMAAOSwDuJWy45t

John

johnnwwa
09-19-2016, 10:48 AM
LJ II w/wraps

Donated to the Museum of Flight ,Seattle Washington

Earl
04-29-2023, 06:35 PM
Very nice! Are wraps like these available anywhere?

Pretty sure those are wraps done by the last John Pursley. See post #107 above.

Earl

Earl
04-29-2023, 08:14 PM
I don’t believe the John Pursley, Accur8, wraps are available any more. Any others available?

No, John’s wraps are no longer available. And I don’t know anyone else who has marketed any, but that does not mean none are out there. I’m just not aware of any.

Earl

Ltvscout
04-29-2023, 08:25 PM
I don’t believe the John Pursley, Accur8, wraps are available any more. Any others available?
You may want to ask Buzz McDermott. I think he was handling this stuff from John's estate.

georgegassaway
04-29-2023, 09:30 PM
I drew up wraps an posted them on this thread on TRF:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/building-the-estes-little-joe-ii-tips-tricks-and-modifications.131767/post-1568591

Did not design for vinyl wrap but someone could try.

What I designed thrm for is to laser print onto thick glossy paper stock, solving part of thr issue with humidity and inkjet printing..