PDA

View Full Version : Latest Estes Pro Series II Kit

Initiator001
03-26-2016, 03:12 PM
I just received the new Estes Pro Series II Kit, Star Orbiter.

It's the closest to 'minimum-diameter' of any of the PSII kits released so far.
The kit uses BT-60 diameter tubing and nose cone, balsa fins and a 29mm motor mount.
The balsa fins are 'through-the-wall'.

Estimated maximum altitude with an F15-8 motor is 1800 feet.
I think that may be a little low, especially with a listed empty weight/mass of 5.9 oz.

Going on the build pile. :)

LeeR
03-26-2016, 04:52 PM
I've been tempted to get one. Interesting that it has one more body tube than a Big Bertha kit, a motor retainer included, and it costs $2 less!

Estes information says nothing about chute type, only that it is 15". I assume plastic, which is perfectly fine for a BT-60 model in this price range.

Scud-B
04-03-2016, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty much done building mine. It's straight forward and I think it's a bargain for the price. Yes, the chute is plastic.

Scott_650
04-03-2016, 12:18 PM
Hmmm....that Big Bertha nose cone must be made of some exotic alloy or something! I just added a Star Orbiter to my shopping cart at AC Supply. At a buck less than the BB you can't beat the Orbiter - especially since I already have a spare BB nose cone...

GuyNoir
04-03-2016, 04:27 PM
It's gonna need a Jolly Logic Chute Release for sure.

Initiator001
04-04-2016, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty much done building mine. It's straight forward and I think it's a bargain for the price. Yes, the chute is plastic.

I did the sanding and sealing of the fins and body tubes before I started assembly of the model.

Tonight, I am gluing on the fins.

Should be good for the first primer coat on Thursday.

Initiator001
04-04-2016, 12:41 AM
It's gonna need a Jolly Logic Chute Release for sure.

Buy and use a $125 device to make recovery of a $23 rocket more likely. :confused:

That does not make good economic sense to me. ;)

///
04-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Only $23? You don't value your time?
Besides, it's not like it's a permanent install in one rocket, can be used on the entire fleet.

Rich Holmes
04-04-2016, 07:18 AM
I'd rather be buying five more $23 rockets.

It's a good concept but to me, too pricey for what it does, especially for use in rockets that (even with it) have a good chance of going missing.

tab28682
10-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Bumping up this Star Orbiter thread.

Just got this kit and saw the chute release comments.

I have my own solution to a motor ejection and delayed chute release system that is costing me about 12 bucks to 40 bucks each......but you need an RC transmitter on 2.4Ghz. This kit will get one.

I have developed several sizes of what i am calling the RC Chute Sled. Currently have versions that fit BT-50, BT-60 through 2.2" tubing, 2.6" to 3" and any size over 3".

Basically a small ply and basswood box that contains a 2.4 RX at 4-8 grams, a small servo ranging from 2 grams to 9 grams and a small single cell Lipo. Servo arranged to release an elastic band that keeps the chute bundled togather tight to the outside of the box.

So far, the 2.6" - 3" version is 5 for 5 on G motor flights to 1300-1800 feet. It gives me the ability to completely control the altitude of the chute release, which is fun. So far, I get a full chute in less than a second after actuation.

Unit cost depends on RX chosen. The current version uses a low cost aftermarket Spektrum compatible 2.4 RX that costs 6 bucks shipped when you buy 5 at a time. Range is st least 3000 feet or more. I also use the $25 Spektrum AR400 if I need range of up to a mile. Servo cost is $3 to $5 and Lipo battery cost is $1.29 to $4.

This way you can put a $20 motor eject dual deploy system in a $20 rocket, if you have a decent RC TX.

Photo shows the 2.6-3" version packed (except for tucking away the small lipo) and ready to go into my venerable 2.6" NCR Eliminator.