PDA

View Full Version : IronHand

burkefj
07-27-2016, 01:46 PM
From sketch to Flight test in 6 hours....

Yesterday afternoon, i found I had two spare servos, some extensions and a receiver laying around without a home, I also had two 2" estes white tubes and a coupler. I borrowed an interceptor cone from one of my other models and got to doodling. I basically grabbed an F-4 phantom wing, with some side plates to mimick engine intakes, took the tail from my Arc-light, used my template for the SST to trim the rear at an angle. Drew it up and did some initial CG calculations, moved the wing foward till the CG was right at the coupler joint since I knew my component/cone/motor weight usually averaged out at that point in the model. Drew it up on a napkin at 3:00. Got home at 5 and started cutting using some of the curved foam sheets I have sitting around, put some carbon in spots to help straighten/stiffen it.

For the wingtips I just cut a V groove and pulled them up and glued them in place after sanding the edges round.

Mounted the wing on the bottom of the tube, installed the tail and motor mount and did some indoor confirmation of the CG location. Installed electronics and had it ready to go by 9pm. Turned out I needed 1/4 ounce of tail weight, so I could have pushed the wing forward just a tad but it's pretty darn close to perfect.

Flew it this morning and it was great. Wing loading is similar to my deltas, boost needed just a hair of down trim, glide was spot on about 1/4" up trim. Really beautiful, nice thick smoke trail this morning with pure blue sky, glide took very little control input for turns, I came on approach at around 100 feet at the end of the runway and it just settled hands off till just before flare. Really nice. I was easily getting over 1 minute glide time in dead air.

I'm calling it IronHand. Still need to do panel lines and some other little details.

38" long, 26" wingspan, 11.5 ounces ready to fly. 5.3 ounce/sq foot wing loading.

Blushingmule
07-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Love the classic Navy scheme! A+!

Bob

sandman
07-27-2016, 04:09 PM
The delta wing is a great look.

Say, how about an Avro Arrow for our friends up north?

https://www.google.com/search?q=avro+arrow&oq=avro+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4175j0j4&client=tablet-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=gNIfq2DBz4cxPM%3A

burkefj
07-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Funny you mention the arrow as I was actually considering that, in fact if you mount this wing on the top of the fuse without having the tips bent up, and put the intakes on the bottom, and change the tail it will be very Avro arrow like

Frank

sandman
07-27-2016, 04:45 PM
Funny you mention the arrow as I was actually considering that, in fact if you mount this wing on the top of the fuse without having the tips bent up, and put the intakes on the bottom, and change the tail it will be very Avro arrow like

Frank

That's what I thought...sorta.

mojo1986
07-27-2016, 04:52 PM
The delta wing is a great look.

Say, how about an Avro Arrow for our friends up north?

https://www.google.com/search?q=avro+arrow&oq=avro+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4175j0j4&client=tablet-android-att-us&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=gNIfq2DBz4cxPM%3A

+1 for that idea!

burkefj
07-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Here she is with the panel lines all finished up.

Let me enjoy this one for a day or two before I think about an Arrow-Ish version.

Blushingmule
07-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Excellent!

The panel lines really make it pop!

Bob

ghrocketman
07-27-2016, 07:56 PM
If you call it "Iron Hand" you GOTTA add some phoney HARM, Shrike, and Standard missiles under the wing on hard-points !

burkefj
07-27-2016, 08:09 PM
It's got frickin lasers baby:)

If you call it "Iron Hand" you GOTTA add some phoney HARM, Shrike, and Standard missiles under the wing on hard-points !

ghrocketman
07-28-2016, 06:52 AM
Lasers ???? BORRRRRRINGGGGG !
We need missiles !

burkefj
07-28-2016, 02:13 PM
Ok, here is the Arrow version....had to modify the wing a bit for shape and CG purposes, make a new tail, lengthen the intakes but went together pretty nicely. CG and glide tests look good. I'm out of servos so no flight test today. Will do the panel lines later tonight.

Frank

mojo1986
07-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Ok, here is the Arrow version....had to modify the wing a bit for shape and CG purposes, make a new tail, lengthen the intakes but went together pretty nicely. CG and glide tests look good. I'm out of servos so no flight test today. Will do the panel lines later tonight.

Frank

Oh wow! That looks excellent!

Joe

Daddyisabar
07-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Frank

Don't cancel your Arrow program and then try to sell our friends up North a BOMARC or Voodoo! Too many painful memories. :(

Add some intakes on the side and with a three motor cluster the Arrow will take out any MIG 25! :)

burkefj
07-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Here she is with panel lines and ready to fly at 11 5/8 oz. Also made an Iron Hand logo stealing the SAC armored fist, printing on paper, covering with packing tape and then applying with spray contact cement.