PDA

View Full Version : Posting plans for BARCLONE

EchoVictor
04-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Craig,

You and a few folks have made periodic requests for some designs for inclusion at BARCLONE. For those of us without RockSim, how do we go about providing those? Simple three-views, dimensioned prints, full instructions, etc....???

Thanks,
EV

CPMcGraw
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Craig,

You and a few folks have made periodic requests for some designs for inclusion at BARCLONE. For those of us without RockSim, how do we go about providing those? Simple three-views, dimensioned prints, full instructions, etc....???

Thanks,
EV

A good parts list, simple text instructions are helpful for special assembly steps, and a three-view (side, top, and bottom) saved as a TIF. Use a resolution of 300 DPI, and if your graphics program allows for it, LZW compression of the image. TIFs are for archival purposes, so they don't loose as much data as a JPG.

If you don't have a graphics program, like PhotoshopElements, Corel Draw, or The GIMP, a scanned hand-drawn line image on plain white paper is just as good. Give me full-size fin outlines, and show the grain direction. With enough information, one of us with RockSim can take that and work up the RKT file (as long as there are no oddly-placed fins or other components).

Solomoriah
04-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Why in the name of Vern does everyone use TIF? You can't view a TIF in a web browser, without additional software. On the other hand, the Internet standard PNG format is also lossless, compresses better (smaller downloads most of the time) and can be viewed with any browser.

I just don't understand it.

Rocketflyer
04-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Why in the name of Vern does everyone use TIF? You can't view a TIF in a web browser, without additional software. On the other hand, the Internet standard PNG format is also lossless, compresses better (smaller downloads most of the time) and can be viewed with any browser.

Oh, I agree with that! :eek:

Jack

CPMcGraw
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Old Rockets, Old Rocketeers, Old dogs, Old habits... :D

JPGs and PNGs are hereby officially rendered (pun intended) equally acceptable... :rolleyes:

Same image resolution, however: 300 DPI.

PaulK
04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
...JPGs and PNGs are hereby officially rendered (pun intended) equally acceptable... :rolleyes:....Be careful using JPG for plans. The compression scheme used is optimized for photographs (content with lots of colors & gradients, but few sharp edges). For things with line art & text, like plans would contain, it does a poor job, even at the highest quality setting. PNG, on the other hand, works great for content with edges & text.

CPMcGraw
04-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Be careful using JPG for plans. The compression scheme used is optimized for photographs (content with lots of colors & gradients, but few sharp edges). For things with line art & text, like plans would contain, it does a poor job, even at the highest quality setting. PNG, on the other hand, works great for content with edges & text.

Which is the main reason why I wanted TIF format originally, and still prefer it. However, with the introduction of RockSim, and the use of standardized parts, it's not really as critical as it once was. Full-size fin patterns are the most critical drawings for almost any design, but even in JPG format, these come out reasonably well. There is a point of no return, however, because there are many different levels of compression for JPGs. In Photoshop, you can reduce the file size down to a level where the image is unusable.

Solomoriah
04-12-2007, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't use JPEG, except perhaps for model photos (or scans of the "trade dress") but even then only at 95% or higher.