PDA

View Full Version : Information on the centuri Sky Devil!

Arley Davis
04-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I try to add clone kits to my collection for future builds. And I Know have the plans for the Centuri KB-10 Sky Devil, do any of you know how long the Body tube was, I know it is a 18MM tube and what nose cone did it use. Thanks!

Ltvscout
04-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I try to add clone kits to my collection for future builds. And I now have the plans for the Centuri KB-10 Sky Devil, do any of you know how long the Body tube was, I know it is a 18MM tube and what nose cone did it use. Thanks!
I'd bet Buzz Nau or Carl McClawhorn may be able to answer that.

Solomoriah
04-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I have a beat-up Sky Devil in the attic. I may get it measured for you by the weekend, if nobody else answers first.

Tau Zero
04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
do any of you know how long the Body tube was, I know it is a 18MM tube and what nose cone did it use. Thanks!Arley,

I had an original Sky Devil "back in the day," and the badly tattered "Spec Plate" that I now have lists the rocket's length as '12" +.' While I'm not entirely sure which nose cone was used (PNC-73, -74 or -76), the body tube was probably a 9" long ST-79 (Semroc ST-790).

The Aerobee-Hi fin shape protrudes past the end of the body tube 5/16" of an inch, so the nose cone *may* have been close to 3" long.

That's all I can extrapolate for sure.

Cheers,

Tau Zero
04-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I have a beat-up Sky Devil in the attic. I may get it measured for you by the weekend, if nobody else answers first.Hey Solo,

You are apparently "The Man" who can determine which nose cone is correct. I made the following measurements earlier tonight:

PNC-73 -- 2 5/16" L

PNC-74 -- 3 7/16" L

PNC-76 -- 2 15/16" L

Cheers,

Arley Davis
04-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Will maybe with luck Solomoriah can get the length of tubing as will as the length of the nose cone and once we know that thanks to CenturiGuy we will know the nose cone to use. Also if it’s not too much trouble was the fin stock 3/32” thick, I’m pretty sure it was.

And once we all know the parts used maybe Scott can boost a parts list with the Centuri Rocket so everyone even the individuals that do not use the forum and see this Thread can build a clone of the Sky Devil.

The Launch Lug was either, LL-2 at 2.25"L or LL-1 at 1.75"L so you can use the Estes LL2B at 21/4”.

And the Body tube is 18MM so you can use the BT-20 Tube, once the length is known.

The only other parts are the nose cone, 18MM-thrust ring, balsa fin stock, and shock cord with parachute.

Ltvscout
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Will maybe with luck Solomoriah can get the length of tubing as will as the length of the nose cone and once we know that thanks to CenturiGuy we will know the nose cone to use. Also if it’s not too much trouble was the fin stock 3/32” thick, I’m pretty sure it was.

And once we all know the parts used maybe Scott can boost a parts list with the Centuri Rocket so everyone even the individuals that do not use the forum and see this Thread can build a clone of the Sky Devil.

The Launch Lug was either, LL-2 at 2.25"L or LL-1 at 1.75"L so you can use the Estes LL2B at 21/4”.

And the Body tube is 18MM so you can use the BT-20 Tube, once the length is known.

The only other parts are the nose cone, 18MM-thrust ring, balsa fin stock, and shock cord with parachute.
No need to use "Estes" part sizes now that Semroc offers a wide-range of Centuri replacement parts. I will update the Sky Devil plans with dimensions when I get them.

Eagle3
04-20-2007, 09:22 AM
I still have an original built on the shelf. The nose cone is the same as the Vector V's. I'll measure the tube tonight.

Solomoriah
04-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I still have an original built on the shelf. The nose cone is the same as the Vector V's. I'll measure the tube tonight.
Good, that saves me a trip to the attic. The fins were 3/32", I think... dang thin anyway. One of mine broke while on display at the State Fair (I built it when I was in 4-H).

Arley Davis
04-20-2007, 10:52 AM
The Nose Cone then would be the Centuri PNC-76. The only reason I used the Estes tubing is because I have a lot of that on hand, the tubing would be ST-7.

Carl@Semroc
04-20-2007, 06:12 PM

Parts list for the Sky Devil (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=503)

Ltvscout
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Parts list fir the Sky Devil (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=503)
Are any of the many the laser-cut fins available on request?

Carl@Semroc
04-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Are any of the many the laser-cut fins available on request?I think the one that was planned was the "Bastille" as shown on the header, but we can do any of the eight.

Arley Davis
04-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I still thank it would be a good ideal to have a parts list posted with the rocket plans, and by using what Semroc had the body tube ST-79 is 9” long.

barone
04-21-2007, 03:12 PM
I still thank it would be a good ideal to have a parts list posted with the rocket plans, and by using what Semroc had the body tube ST-79 is 9” long.Hey, that would be a good idea. Can that be done Scott? Include a link from the plans to the appropriate location on the SEMROC site (assuming, of course, that Carl has the parts paks listed)?

Ltvscout
04-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey, that would be a good idea. Can that be done Scott? Include a link from the plans to the appropriate location on the SEMROC site (assuming, of course, that Carl has the parts paks listed)?
Can it be done? Sure. But that just adds to the time it takes me to add each new plan. The reason for the gaps between posting new plans is due to the incredible amount of time it takes to do it. If someone wanted to put together a list of plans I have online and then lookup the parts pak link on Semroc and include the URL, it would make things that much easier.

barone
04-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Can it be done? Sure. But that just adds to the time it takes me to add each new plan. The reason for the gaps between posting new plans is due to the incredible amount of time it takes to do it. If someone wanted to put together a list of plans I have online and then lookup the parts pak link on Semroc and include the URL, it would make things that much easier.Well....for the sake of all, I'll give it a try. You want me to email the info to you? What is the best format for you to include it the easiest?

Ltvscout
04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Well....for the sake of all, I'll give it a try. You want me to email the info to you? What is the best format for you to include it the easiest?
Ya, an email message would be great. That way the links would be clickable and easier fo me to work with.

Tau Zero
04-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I think the one that was planned was the "Bastille" as shown on the header.*That* fin pattern is the reason I bought the original Sky Devil, but I didn't do very well when cutting them out. :o

Of course, since my middle name is "Can't Leave Well Enough Alone" (at least, it *should* be) :rolleyes: , I'd probably have to have a 137% upscale for an ST-10 Sky Devil, *too!* :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :cool:

Cheers,

Carl@Semroc
04-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Ya, an email message would be great. That way the links would be clickable and easier fo me to work with.I should be able to automate the link generation. I try to add 5-10 new ones each week. The goal is to have most of the parts lists from 1954-1995 kits online. There are about 210 online now out of about 1000.

Tau Zero
10-16-2008, 10:29 PM
About a year and a half ago, the following exchange took place here on YORF:
Parts list for the Sky Devil (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/ClassicParts.asp?ID=503)Are any of the many the laser-cut fins available on request?I think the one that was planned was the "Bastille" as shown on the header, but we can do any of the eight.*That* fin pattern is the reason I bought the original Sky Devil, but I didn't do very well when cutting them out. :o

Of course, since my middle name is "Can't Leave Well Enough Alone" (at least, it *should* be) I'd probably have to have a 137% upscale for an ST-10 Sky Devil, *too!* :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :cool:So now I've got the BC-1041G (thanks Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce!) which is the 137% upscale of the Centuri PNC-76 (Semroc BC-730P), and I'm thinking about those Sky Devil fins again. :o

Carl, do you have those "Bastille" fins available in 100% and 137% sizes? I'm thinking in terms of 3/32" balsa for both versions. (Don't send them to me, :eek: just let me know if you have them. :D )

Cheers,

Initiator001
10-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Estes has listed the Sky Devil as a reissue under it's Classic Series.

To be released Summer 2009.

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-16-2008, 11:14 PM

To be released Summer 2009.

Bob

Good god, it's the apocalypse. :eek: :eek:

Tau Zero
10-18-2008, 04:20 PM

To be released Summer 2009.Bob,

Yes, but I can't wait. :o I'm wanting to build *now!* :eek: ;) :D :cool:

Cheers,

Solomoriah
10-18-2008, 10:09 PM
And if you want a Sky Devil that really looks and feels like a proper Centuri Sky Devil, you need to get the stuff from Carl and go from there.

ST-7 is tougher than BT-20, and the standard Estes plastic cone isn't the right shape... but of course you know that.

Tau Zero
10-18-2008, 10:21 PM
And if you want a Sky Devil that really looks and feels like a proper Centuri Sky Devil, you need to get the stuff from Carl and go from there.Solo,

All I need is the fins! (And if I can get 'em laser-cut, so much the better. ;) )

ST-7 is tougher than BT-20, and the standard Estes plastic cone isn't the right shape... but of course you know that.I've got Semroc ST-7 tubing, and several BC-730P (Centuri PNC-76) nose cones... not to mention the 137% upscale BC-1041G. (Insert sinister laughter here.)

I cut the ST-7 and ST-10 tubes this afternoon, and I'm thinking about using 13 and 18mm motor mounts, respectively. (After I wrestle the fin patterns into RockSim... "of *course.*")

LTVScout, where's my "vampire fangs dripping blood" emoticon for Halloween? :eek: ;) :D

Cheers,

Solomoriah
10-18-2008, 11:03 PM
That's cheating, and as "CenturiGuy" you should know that... the Sky Devil was specifically sold with templates and a sheet of balsa, and you're SUPPOSED to cut them out yourself. I did, and surprisingly they came out pretty good anyway... this was when I was MUCH younger, probably only 1/4 my current age.

Tau Zero
10-19-2008, 04:48 PM
That's cheating, and as "CenturiGuy" you should know that... the Sky Devil was specifically sold with templates and a sheet of balsa, and you're SUPPOSED to cut them out yourself.Yes, I know that, and what's even worse is I managed to buy the Sky Devil instruction sheet and fin patterns (minus one which had been cut out) from eBay back in 2001.

I did, and surprisingly they came out pretty good anyway... this was when I was MUCH younger, probably only 1/4 my current age.Yeah, well, I need a reasonable excuse to order some *other* stuff from Semroc, too, so... :o ;) :D

Cheers,

barone
10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Well....I gues I'm going to cheat even more.......I found what was left over from a fireworks rocket that looks like a plastic fin can matching the Sky Devil..... :D

blackshire
04-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Well....I gues I'm going to cheat even more.......I found what was left over from a fireworks rocket that looks like a plastic fin can matching the Sky Devil..... :DYou just accidentally created (or re-created, like finding a unicorn's alicorn and inadvertently re-generating its owner) the Dirty Bird III (see: http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/eirp_06.htm and http://www.oldrocketplans.com/pubs/American_Modeler/DirtyBird/am_dirtybird.htm ), an early rocket plan that used a firework missile fin unit.

blackshire
04-12-2012, 08:24 PM
And if you want a Sky Devil that really looks and feels like a proper Centuri Sky Devil, you need to get the stuff from Carl and go from there.

ST-7 is tougher than BT-20, and the standard Estes plastic cone isn't the right shape... but of course you know that.You can even have a reproduction Centuri PNC-76 plastic nose cone (in polyurethane resin) to fit the ST-7 tubing, for a perfect Sky Devil clone. Sirius Rocketry www.siriusrocketry.com makes resin reproductions of this and other Centuri plastic nose cones (using the original nose cones to create the molds) as part of their "Moldin' Oldies" line. Semroc www.semroc.com makes a balsa reproduction of the PNC-76, called the BC-730.