PDA

View Full Version : National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection Blog

pterodactyl
06-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Hello Fellow Rocket Enthusiasts,

My name is Pat Fitzpatrick and I've been mostly a lurker on YORF for a number of years. As a volunteer at the Seattle Museum of Flight I have been involved with the "care and feeding" of the National Collection of Model and Sport Rocketry" since before its inception.

If you haven't seen the latest issue of NAR's Sport Rocketry magazine it contains an excellent article written by the MOF Adjunct Curator for Spaceflight Geoff Nunn (NAR #99220) about the collection. Geoff's article covers how the collection started, generally what it contains, and a few pictures of the "Inspiring Rockets" permanent exhibit at MOF.

MOF is like all museums in that it can only exhibit a small fraction of its collections. That is also true when it comes to the Stine portion of the National Collection which is undergoing a laborious process of cataloging and archival storage that will take years to complete.
YORF seems like an ideal place place to find an audience that care about artifacts from the dawn of model rocketry. I will attempt to answer any questions about the collection that might be floating around, and this thread might be a good place to start.
I do not profess to have all the answers; the level of knowledge of rocketry history on regular display here is quite astounding and I will frequently refer to you guys for help with my own questions. The community knowledge contained here can be of great benefit to further developing the world's best collection of model rocketry artifacts, images, and documentation.

Best,
Pat Fitzpatrick
NAR/MOF Special Committee
MOF Spaceflight Committee

Follow the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection on Twitter: @Natl_ModRoc_Col

astronwolf
06-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Thank-you Pat. I read the article in Sport Rocketry with great interest. I'm certain your presence here will be much appreciated.
-W

Ltvscout
06-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Thank you for offering to do this for the model rocketry community, Pat!

pterodactyl
06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Here's an image from an early edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry:
https://db.tt/ADFShM3ItO
Here's an image of the same half century old model during processing:
https://db.tt/lDzVKjSpgx
Typically models aren't repaired until right before exhibit, so the fin will be stored with the model for the time being.

Follow the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection on Twitter: @Natl_ModRoc_Col

Woody's Workshop
06-07-2017, 09:58 PM
Why is the museum located on the West Coast?
It seems it would serve better being located more centrally in the US.
I think Denver would have been a better choice.

BEC
06-07-2017, 11:47 PM
Because the Museum of Flight worked with - first - Bill Stine - and later Vern and Gleda and then Lee and Betty to secure these artifacts.

What museum in Denver did you have in mind? And was anyone there even interested? There would have been some symmetry since MMI and Estes Industries both began in Denver, but no one there made any effort. Pat and Geoff and Dan Hagedorn and others at the Museum of Flight did with support from Trip and others in the NAR.

Faithwalker
06-08-2017, 12:58 AM
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your comments and introduction! We look forward to your updates!

Yesterday, I spoke with Lee Piester, former president of Centuri Engineering Company, and he informed me that the Seattle MOF is seeking to obtain all of the Smithsonian's NASM current model rocket collections, as well, in order to become "the" model rocketry repository. Do you have any additional news to report about the progress/prospects of negotiations with the Smithsonian and that coming true?

Lee Piester said that the Seattle MOF should be receiving shipments from him and from Vern Estes sometime this year. Lee said that the collections would include such things as model rocket engine production notes as well as one of each of Centuri's model rocket launch pads they produced. For us old time model rocketeers, it would be like being a kid in a candy store to have access to all these artifacts. Lee added that the Seattle MOF already has quite a bit of material in their basement below the museum's exhibition floor.

Any idea of how soon these items may be available for research/inspection?

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR

pterodactyl
06-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your question. There are a lot of considerations when two organizations like the NAR and Museum of Flight enter into an agreement which encompasses not only collections, but also exhibits, and educational outreach. It's a lot like a marriage where there must be mutual goals and the will to work together to execute them.
Geography is a consideration, but it's well down the list when selecting a partner in any enterprise.

For the specific details on how the NAR and MOF partnership evolved Geoff Nunn's article in the latest Sport Rocketry has many of the details.

pterodactyl
06-08-2017, 08:38 AM
Hello Jeff,
Sounds like you had a good chat with Lee! It's fair to say that the NAR would like to consolidate the holdings of the National Collection under one roof which would necessarily include the entire collections of G. Harry Stine, Vern Estes, Lee Piester, and others. That effort is in its very early stages, but is moving forward.
The NAR was very happy to partner with MOF to create the world's first permanent exhibit of historic model rocketry artifacts at MOF in the "Inspiring Rockets" exhibit. There are some incredible artifacts in that exhibit.
Over time more and more of the collection will become accessible for researchers, enthusiasts, and the general public. The time scale of that processing effort could be significant and will be determined by the resources available to complete the task. It is a non trivial consideration which is under review by all concerned parties.

Jerry Irvine
06-08-2017, 10:24 AM
I would be extremely happy if there were far more enthusiasts and general rocketeers to enjoy it. We are currently highly crippled on new entrants to the hobby and that could use " fixin' "

pterodactyl
06-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Jerry,
The decreasing number of young entrants to the hobby combined with the its aging demographic is of concern to many. The Museum of Flight, with its over 100k young people ages 5-18 who participate annually in its aerospace education programs, provides a unique laboratory to examine what could work to expand youth involvement.
I believe that the answer exists, we just need to figure it out!

Jerry Irvine
06-08-2017, 02:33 PM
TARC and SLI are important programs. Historically local recreation programs and after school and PTA programs have provided FAR more model rocketry introductions. Not everyone becomes a rocket scientist of course or even a STEM person, but exposure to model rocketry gives craft skills, pyro and physics exposure, team building and even exposure to multi-gender in an active outdoor sport. I have seen it. It rocks.

I RECOMMEND IT.

pterodactyl
06-08-2017, 06:48 PM
You might have heard that there's a new Apollo exhibit at the MOF. Not all the rockets in the exhibit are the big boys.

Note the Leroy Lettering ink "Astron Mark" and "NAR 2" markings. This kit was designed and built by Harry in the pre-decal era of Estes kits. Somebody once said anybody who could use a Leroy Lettering set was a genius. G. Harry did it on a curved body tube!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB1hi-GUQAAtr-j.jpg

LeeR
06-09-2017, 12:12 AM
I knew I was gifted! I worked for a civil engineering company in high school and used Leroy lettering set to write the legal property descriptions on land plats. The text could take over a day to write (a couple paragraphs), compared to a 1/2 day typically to create the drawing.

pterodactyl
06-10-2017, 08:16 PM
At Harry Stine's first meeting with MPC management the "big boss" at the end of the long table said "we're going to have a dollar rocket, and its box is going to be this long" as he held his hands about 8 inches apart.

That "dollar rocket" became the Pioneer. Here is the ID tag, written in won Stine's hand, from the Pioneer prototype in the National Collection. If you take a peek at Waveny Park on Google Maps, you'll find its across the street from the YMCA in New Canaan, CT, the home of the legendary YMCA Space Pioneers NAR Section.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCAKbHfVwAAGeLK.jpg

pterodactyl
06-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Some familiar faces examined artifacts from the National Collection on exhibit at the Museum of Flight back in 2014. The gentleman on the right is MOF Curator Dan Hagedorn who you might have seen on a few episodes of Travel Channel's Mysteries at the Museum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCE35h3UIAAvfts.jpg

Museum of Flight curator Dan Hagedorn examines a piece of Amelia Earhart's plane.

http://travel.home.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/travel/fullset/2011/12/02/a4/mysteries-at-the-museum_ss_210_004.rend.hgtvcom.966.544.jpeg

vcp
06-13-2017, 01:07 AM
Hi Pat,

FWIW, I've attached the bibliography of Stine's work that I've been compiling. It's certainly not complete, but it contains items that I've not seen anywhere else in one place. I hope it might be useful.

Gary

pterodactyl
06-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Gary, that is just a remarkable piece of work! Well done sir. That list will likely be of great assistance to the library staff at the Museum.
This bibliography provides a valuable insight into G. Harry Stine's indelible legacy as a proponent of rocketry and spaceflight at the dawn of the Space Age.

pterodactyl
06-15-2017, 10:56 AM
The Stine Collection has a tremendous early Sixties example of an Astron Ranger built by G. Harry himself. The man had exceptional building skills that really set the standard for that era. Having said that, common practices used today such as filling body tube seams or clear coating are not in evidence likely due to a lack of modeling materials of the type easily available to today's builders. The decorative "Astron Ranger" has been flawlessly applied with Letraset dry transfer lettering which was pretty high tech stuff in the early 1960's. A technical advance over the Leroy Lettering option we saw earlier!
By any measure its a beautiful model build by "The Old Rocketeer". So who shall be the first among us to replicate this fine model?

https://im1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/005009433891/media/43022247857/medium/1497541855926/enhance

For more on the history of the Astron Ranger, I highly recommend Eric Higgins excellent site on early Estes kits: http://vintageestesrockets.com/k-kit-registry/kits/k6-astron-ranger.htm

pterodactyl
06-18-2017, 12:10 PM
For Fathers Day 2017, here's a 1959 design from the "father of model rocketry", G. Harry Stine, in the Handbook of Model Rocketry from 1965.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCnnIdmUAAA27RI.jpg

JohnNGA
06-19-2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks for sharing GH's old 'Birds'.....I started out in model rocketry in 62, great being able to reminisce about that time.

pterodactyl
06-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Glad you're enjoying the look back. With over a thousand models, built and unbuilt, in the Stine Collection we're going to be here awhile.

In addition to the models there is a large (think massive) quantity of images, files, and documents awaiting processing. Our ability to mitigate the limits of human resources at MOF will determine how quickly we are able to share this treasure trove of material with the rocketry community. There is gold in there.

Vern
06-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Thanks Pat...for starting this thread. I'm enjoying each post, comment and picture from you and others. Brings back many memories of the past. Processing the GHS collection is a big undertaking, and we are all thankful for the MOF's work to preserve this important history. Without the work of Harry Stine, model rocketry, as we know it, would not have existed. Keep up the good work. -- Vern

stefanj
06-21-2017, 08:50 AM
I would love to replicate the Dirty Bird and other models that use those plastic firework fin units, but the pyrotechnic supply places I've seen always seem to be out of stock.

pterodactyl
06-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Hello Vern!
Thanks to you and Gleda for making your collection available to the MOF and allowing the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection to become a reality. It wouldn't be a "national collection" without the Estes name included!
In your honor I present some recently declassified imagery of a Soviet era model rocket which eventually found its way into the Stine Collection. The design borrows heavily from an American model rocket which will be familiar to many. Sorry for the fuzzy images, but they were taken by an undercover operative at great personal risk.
Dubbed the "Big Boris" by CIA analysts, the rocket seems to represent a copy of a similar American design and is a significant advance over its Soviet predecessor the "Honest Ivan"*.

*Read "The Legend of Honest Ivan" in Model Rocketry Magazine (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n05_02-71.pdf)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC2UBfHUQAAu2Qd.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC2UyWBUMAAYZw7.jpg

pterodactyl
06-23-2017, 10:34 AM
An important part of the Museum of Flight mission is to record personal history interviews. In May 2016, model rocket pioneer Lee Piester was interviewed by Bill Stine about his early rocketry experiments and the creation of Centuri Engineering. Peder Nelson of MOF recorded the interview in the Charles Simonyi Space Gallery which houses the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection exhibit "Inspiring Rockets".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDA7_P7UQAARcCx.jpg

Vern Estes and Estes Industries supplied the motive power (or operating system) to get model rocketry off the ground much as Bill Gates and Microsoft provided the software to power the first personal computers. Lee Piester's eye for for both aesthetics and engineering brilliance earns him the title of the "Steve Jobs of Model Rocketry".

Lee shows off some of the incredible original art used in Centuri Engineering kits and catalogs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDBA_r5UwAEWWXV.jpg

tbzep
06-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Awesome thread!

rocketguy101
06-24-2017, 03:26 PM
Awesome thread!

I agree, my only nit...the photos aren't visible on my work computer because wherever they are hosted is blocked...would it be possible to post photos using YORF's attachments?

and yes, I do look at YORF from work during lunch time :D

ps: and I don't do twitter....

pterodactyl
06-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Dave
The images are also on Twitter right now. It was very painless to create an account for that express purpose.

pterodactyl
06-25-2017, 12:23 PM
On June 24, 1947, seventy years ago this weekend, Kenneth Arnold saw something strange in the skies over Washington State. The Seattle Times reports on the anniversary. (http://tinyurl.com/yc7zkosz)

The hobby of model rocketry made its own contributions to flying saucer sightings. It turns out that Area 51 isn't the only place with a saucer in storage. Note the strange alien markings dimly visible.https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDLtP5NVoAA82zg.jpg:small

pterodactyl
06-28-2017, 10:43 AM
In the 21st Century, an era when HD images and video are commonplace, its easy to forget what the rocketeers of a half century ago had to work with. Overhead imagery wasn't a click away with Google maps and air travel was an expensive and luxurious experience. Consequently a significant segment of the population had never left the surface of the earth, let alone seen how their neighborhoods appeared from above.

Rocket cameras were the exclusive domain of experimenters and space professionals until Estes introduced the Camroc, which made its first catalog appearance in 1966. Today it appears very primitive, but in its day it represented a revolution to the hobby.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes66/66est12.jpg

This is G. Harry Stine's example of the Estes Camroc atop its Astron Delta two stage carrier rocket as it appears today in the Museum of Flight's Inspiring Rockets exhibit. The model is built to Stine's high standard and features his mid-1960's use of fluorescent paint. There is also a bit of flight damage apparent on one of the fins; intentionally unrepaired in keeping with museum practice to retain relevant evidence of use.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDapZVtUQAEaI7r.jpg

Stine clearly did NOT want to lose this model, an indication of its rarity. Given the urbanized areas he flew during his time in New Canaan, CT he was wont to include return labels such as the one seen on this model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDapyKgUIAAuh0W.jpg

Vern
06-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Just spent a couple hours going through document storage files looking back at how the Camroc came to be. In a mid 1962 Model Rocket News we let our mail order customers know we wanted to develop a camera to take aerial photos from a model rocket. In reviewing these old files I discovered a number of drawings and ideas our customers submitted. Ideas included ways to use an existing small camera manufactured in Japan, cameras that looked out the side of the rocket, one designed to be suspended from a parachute pointing down, etc. One idea had the rocket motor at the top of the rocket, with a tripod of wires suspending the camera below. Another young rocketeer submitted a drawing suggesting something similar to the design we were working on, which eventually became the Camroc. (Note: These, and other Estes files, will eventually end up in the archives at the MOF)

First Camroc Photo http://www.oldrocketforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47324&stc=1

The prototype of the Camroc was first flown in 1964. The round negative for the first picture was hand-cut in the dark, without adequate guides or tooling to get a perfect cut. It was funny shaped, but the picture was clear, and we knew we were on our way. Of course there was still lots to be done. Injection molds had to be made for the plastic parts, equipment made in our machine shop to cut the round film disks, other parts ordered, darkroom processing set up to develop the film and print the photos, assembly instructions written, etc. Unfortunately, we way underestimated the time all of this would take, and as a result started promoting the future availability long before we could deliver. We were relieved when backorders finally went out the door in time for Christmas in 1965. Our policy of opening the morning mail, then shipping the same day had suffered a severe blow.

Later, when I gave Lee Piester some static over one of his products being delay for an extended time, he replied, “Well, we all have our Camroc”. Ouch!!

tbzep
06-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Our policy of opening the morning mail, then shipping the same day had suffered a severe blow.

Mr. Estes, how long did Ms. Gleda process mail orders? I'm just curious if it's possible one of my early orders was filled by her.

stefanj
06-30-2017, 09:07 PM
That was great stuff, Vern!

The Camroc was one of the things that blew my little mind when I found a 1970 catalog at summer camp. I thought the adverts I had seen in Boys Life were bunk. (Mad Magazine had made me cynical.) But it was obvious from the catalog that there was a whole new real world there.

The crude-cut first Camroc photo must have appeared in a magazine. I remember noticing the contrast between the crude cut and the remarkably crisp image.

One thing would be cool to see is a floorplan of the old Estes buildings. I took the tour in 1990, when I think the packing facilities had moved to Canon City. There were still many shops; silk screening, and so on. And a room of local ladies making pre-assembled rockets for a special order.

pterodactyl
07-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Vern,
Thanks so much for digging through your old files to share this background information on the Camroc. We are very fortunate to have you as a participant on here.
Pat

pterodactyl
07-01-2017, 11:54 AM
July 1, 2017 is Canada's sesquicentennial, although you don't hear that particular term used much in references to the country's 150th birthday.

Today it seems appropriate to discuss Canada's most successful early model rocket company, Canaroc Industries. Founded by the Lufkin family in Edmonton, Alberta in the early 1970's, the company featured an interesting selection of sport, scale, and competition model rockets.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/canaroc78/78cancov.jpg

Canaroc's founder and president Roger Lufkin had a background in industrial processes and brought his talents to bear overseeing the operation, while R&D relied heavily on the model rocket expertise of his eldest son Denis. Like many new companies the entire family got into the act and assisted with many aspects of Canaroc's operation.

Canaroc offered a line of Black Brant scale kits, from the Black Brant III, IV, and V. It's Orion was an efficient parachute and streamer duration competition model and the Nomad was a highly successful competition boost glider. Most of the competition models had their start as parts of Denis Lufkin's formidable competition arsenal which he flew at regional, national and international competitions through most of the first half of the 1970's.

A Canaroc Black Brant IV kit is seen here. Canaroc set the standard for Black Brant scale kits for many years. A complete set of Black Brant kits are found in the National Collection, and likely arrived on G. Harry Stine's doorstep as product samples.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDqhNWaUIAAaNdc.jpg

Notably, Canaroc rocket engines were among the first 18mm composite motors available to consumers and featured a molded epoxy nozzle and plastic casing.

LeeR
07-01-2017, 12:35 PM
earlier!
By any measure its a beautiful model build by "The Old Rocketeer". So who shall be the first among us to replicate this fine model?

Is the light color on the Ranger white, or gray?

pterodactyl
07-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Hello Lee,
Thanks for your question. I have not seen the model for a couple of years, but my recollection was that it was flat white with what is likely an age related color change to a subtle off white.

GuyNoir
07-01-2017, 03:23 PM
First Camroc Photo http://www.oldrocketforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47324&stc=1

Vern,

One good Camroc photo deserves another. My one and only flight was back in 1968. I flew from the potato field next to our house. The flight path was pretty squirrelly but I sent the canister back in for developing anyway, not expecting a good picture.

Much to my surprise, I'd nailed a perfect picture of our house in Bloxom, VA.

Cheers, Bunny

LeeR
07-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Hello Lee,
Thanks for your question. I have not seen the model for a couple of years, but my recollection was that it was flat white with what is likely an age related color change to a subtle off white.

Thanks! It makes sense that it would have been white, I just wanted to make sure. I built a Ranger ns 1966. Would be fun to do another. Here is a copy of a slide showing part of my collection as a kid. A few kits, some Design of the Month builds, and a couple scratch-builds. I was a big fan of brushed Estes butyrate dope finishes. :)

Sadly, I built that Delta as the carrier for a Camroc. I just never managed to buy one due to lack of funds.

For some reason my copies of this slide got cropped. I cannot find the originals, and I'm sure there were a few more rockets to the right of that green/white Ranger.

Notice that I have almost all the rockets labeled with their names, using the Estes letters decal sheet. :)

Vern
07-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Mr. Estes, how long did Ms. Gleda process mail orders? I'm just curious if it's possible one of my early orders was filled by her.

If your order was placed before August 1961, while we were still in Denver, then Gleda probably opened the envelope, then packed and shipped your order. After that it is more likely a newly hired employee from the Penrose area packed and shipped the order. The company was growing rapidly at that point. Gleda's role changed to a supervisory role for essentially all mail order operations, including kit packing, opening mail, order processing, catalog mailings, etc. Gleda managed the Company's largest department (most employees) until sometime after the company was sold to Damon in 1969. For most of this time her department operated three shifts a day, and maxed out at something around 200 employees. -- Vern

Correction 7/4/17 -- The number of employees should be 100-125 instead of 200 -- Vern

tbzep
07-03-2017, 08:54 AM
For most of this time her department operated three shifts a day, and maxed out at something around 200 employees. -- Vern
Three shifts a day. That is amazing!

stefanj
07-03-2017, 08:56 AM
There were two "inside Estes" articles in the MRN, one in the early 60 and one in the late 60s, that showed the shipping department. Lots of bins!

Thanks for the details Vern.

Vern
07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Three shifts a day. That is amazing!

Gleda reviewed my post this morning and said I over estimated the number of employees in her department. She says it was more like 100-125 maximum. Sorry about my error. -- Vern

JohnNGA
07-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Great memories placing an order and then waiting for that package from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World". A wonderful time for this 66 year old to grow up....Thanks Vern and Gleda

rocketguy101
07-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Great memories placing an order and then waiting for that package from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World". A wonderful time for this 66 year old to grow up....Thanks Vern and Gleda

+1 ... always loved the mailing label !!! and the anticipation of the white box arriving was almost too much to bear :D

Chas Russell
07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Growing up in Central Ohio, our house was set back about 300 feet from the road. I want to thank the Estes and Centuri families for all the exercise I got walking back and forth checking if the mail brought an order. For you kids, it could take two WHOLE weeks by the postal service. Box here, cluster of motor tubes there. Rules then let them ship only a few motors in one parcel. Ummm, B14s... It was a time of trust (and thrust) with more than a modicum of anticipation. My first orders in 1967.

We are blessed with many fine vendors now that pride themselves in great service. Estes and Centuri set the bar back then. Carl and Sheryl of SEMROC reset it. Thank those vendors that carry the torch forward. Support our hobby.

Chas

hcmbanjo
07-03-2017, 07:25 PM
+1 ... always loved the mailing label !!! and the anticipation of the white box arriving was almost too much to bear :D

Sorry, a little off topic - I'm really enjoying the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection.

Now that Estes is doing mail orders now, why can't they print:
"From The Model Rocket Capitol of the World!"
on their boxes?

I can understand why it can't go on the postage label so why not the box?
It's be nostalgic and a big kick for us older guys.

pterodactyl
07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
The Fourth of July might be the best rocket holiday anywhere. First off the United States national anthem has a direct reference to “rocket” in its lyrics. Then of course there is the tradition of massive pyrotechnic displays; the field where our friend Vern honed his craft.

As America’s most patriotic holiday dawns it might be appropriate to ask the question:

When did Old Glory first fly on a model rocket? The answer is we don’t know!

The answer isn’t easy to find when it comes to America’s big rockets and spacecraft either, which took years to adopt the American flag insignia. In fact according to Robert Pearlman of collectspace.com (http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-070410a.html) the first American flag did not ride on a rocket until 1962 on the side of John Glenn’s Friendship 7 spacecraft. Every American spacecraft would carry the flag from that time on.

Could it be possible that the first American flag to leave Mother Earth might have ridden on a model rocket? There was ample time for our hobby to win this undeclared “space race” and blast Old Glory skyward before the big guys. Did anybody pull it off?

Was it an Orville Carlisle model built for one of his brother's aviation demonstrations? Was it an early G. Harry Stine model lost to time, perhaps one built by one of the early cadre of MMI model rocketeers in Denver, or somebody else entirely. Was it a member of this forum?

Lacking documentation it remains an open question.

For many years commercial rocket kits have carried US markings. However, early rocket kits lacked decals, so flags and other national insignia needed to be "borrowed" from plastic kits, cut out and glued to models, or done by hand as seen on many models in the National Collection.

The first sighting of the USAF "Stars and Bars" appear in the 1964 editions of the Estes and Centuri catalogs adorning their rear engine boost-gliders. However neither of those kits included decals so a bit of artistic license was in play there and neither featured a flag.

The first edition of Stine's Handbook includes a photo of the "Eaglerock" B/G with USAF markings. The model was developed between 1961 and 1963 but the image in the book could be a photo model built for the book published in 1965. Still no flag.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD26ZIpVoAA1zKA.jpg

Sometime in the mid-late 1960’s the first American flags appeared on specialty decal sheets featured in rocketry catalogs and in kits. Now they are everywhere.

MPC gets the nod for one of the first uses of the term "patriot" in their Flare Patriot kit along with the Estes Patriot model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD25iP3UAAAj0Oh.jpg

The Estes Columbia (a very patriotic name) carries an American flag like the real shuttle did.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD28rzXUwAEBzIN.jpg

Not to be outdone the Centuri USS America Superkit featured a red, white, and blue livery.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD24w56VwAAo_0h.jpg

Have a Happy and Safe Fourth of July!

LeeR
07-04-2017, 12:18 AM
There were two "inside Estes" articles in the MRN, one in the early 60 and one in the late 60s, that showed the shipping department. Lots of bins!

Thanks for the details Vern.

I was fortunate to grow up in Colorado, and in 1966 my rocket buddies and I visited Estes Industries, met a lot of nice people, especially these two ladies that filled our order. I've lost the original slides, but had these scans of a couple picture from that visit.

Sheryl@Semroc
07-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Growing up in Central Ohio, our house was set back about 300 feet from the road. I want to thank the Estes and Centuri families for all the exercise I got walking back and forth checking if the mail brought an order. For you kids, it could take two WHOLE weeks by the postal service. Box here, cluster of motor tubes there. Rules then let them ship only a few motors in one parcel. Ummm, B14s... It was a time of trust (and thrust) with more than a modicum of anticipation. My first orders in 1967.

We are blessed with many fine vendors now that pride themselves in great service. Estes and Centuri set the bar back then. Carl and Sheryl of SEMROC reset it. Thank those vendors that carry the torch forward. Support our hobby.

Chas

Thank you Chas.

Sheryl

Gus
07-04-2017, 04:20 PM
... early rocket kits lacked decals, so flags and other national insignia needed to be "borrowed" from plastic kits, cut out and glued to models, or done by hand as seen on many models in the National Collection.

Pat,

Interestingly, the first MMI kits, Aerobee Hi and Arcon, had waterslide decals. Photos of Arcon kit, and decal from Aerobee Hi kit are below.

Thread with photos of the MMI Aerobee Hi kit can be seen here. (http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=7334)

Both Estes and Centuri offered decal sheets you could purchase in their 1964 catalogs. If Vern is still following this thread, I'd really like to know what the first kits to include decals were, and any reminiscences he has of how they started to include them, whether they outsourced them or did them in house, etc.

Steve

pterodactyl
07-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for that clarification on the MMI decal sheet, I forgot all about the little decal sheets they had. Those really were spectacular kits with box art and graphics way ahead of their time. Obviously they were aimed at the retail market which needed some visual pizzazz to attract hobby shop customers.
There are three mint long box MMI kits (with the launch rods that the USPS liked to mangle) in the collection. We'll need to get one of those bad boys on exhibit during the next update.

I didn't see any US flag decals in either of those catalogs. Perhaps someday we can solve the mystery of who flew the first US flag on a model rocket. Maybe an early scale entry at NARAM?

Pat

pterodactyl
07-06-2017, 10:56 AM
As many old timers will recall G. Harry Stine spent some very productive years developing an interesting line of model rockets for Model Rockets Corporation, better known as MPC.

MPC was primarily known as a manufacturer of promotional model cars and model car kits, but also branched out into a variety model genres. Wikipedia has an interesting summary of MPC's history which inexplicably ignores their foray into model rocket production. Wikipedia MPC History (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_Products_Corporation)

While the National Collection contains many significant artifacts from the development of MPC's rocket line, what is lacking is a detailed history of the why and how of their development. Some of that story is captured in Stine's "Old Rocketeer" columns published in Model Rocketry magazine during that period, but there are many gaps. To our loss, I don't believe Harry Stine ever sat down for an oral history interview to discuss that period almost 50 years ago.

Perhaps between the MPC images from the National Collection, the printed record, and the recollections of the forum members we can fill in some of the gaps in that history.

This should be fun.

hcmbanjo
07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
You might try a phone number search for Myke Bergenske.
His son Nik lives in Sarasota, FL
I've called and talked with Myke in the past. He could fill in the information needed.

Myke started MRI or Model Rocket Industries.
His company was bought and was the start of the MPC line of rockets.
Myke and Harry Stine worked together to develop the MPC rocketry line.

http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search?q=bergenske

pterodactyl
07-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Chris,

That is an excellent suggestion. The blog post you did regarding your conversation with Myke was very interesting as well.
Additionally Bill Stine filled in a few blanks for me today from the Fortress of Solitude in Arizona.

Here's a link to that excellent blog post about Myke and MPC.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-mri-mpc-and-avi-questions-answered.html

Dewalt
07-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Pat - I have really enjoyed the history and photographs. This exhibit has really perked my interest and I am planning a trip to see my son stationed at Bremerton and coming up to check things out.
Looking forward to more model rocket history.

Initiator001
07-06-2017, 03:17 PM
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search?q=bergenske

Chris,

While Quest did initially have it's motors made with the MPC/AVI/FSI 18mm motor making machine, Quest later had it's own motor making machines made.

It was one of these machines which had the accident on an Indian Reservation. After this Quest then imported motors from Germany and later China.

I visited Quest back when they were located in Pagosa, Colorado, and saw one of the motor making machines. In a recent conversation with Charlie Savoie of AeroTech/Quest he mentioned that the Quest motor making machines were at the AeroTech plant.

pterodactyl
07-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Walt-

Make sure to PM me with your dates and I'll try to grab lunch with you and show you around the MOF a bit.
That offer stands for any of you other "steely eyed missile men (or women)" visiting the Seattle area.

We are a community and this National Collection is part of each of us in some way.

Ltvscout
07-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Chris,

That is an excellent suggestion. The blog post you did regarding your conversation with Myke was very interesting as well.
Additionally Bill Stine filled in a few blanks for me today from the Fortress of Solitude in Arizona.

Here's a link to that excellent blog post about Myke and MPC.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-mri-mpc-and-avi-questions-answered.html
You could try sending him an email from here as well. His handle here is Myke. He hasn't logged on in a number of years but I'd bet his email hasn't changed. He was living in Mineral Point, WI when he registered here.

hcmbanjo
07-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Chris,

While Quest did initially have it's motors made with the MPC/AVI/FSI 18mm motor making machine, Quest later had it's own motor making machines made.

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the clarification.

pterodactyl
07-07-2017, 12:50 AM
In the middle weeks of 1969, in the midst of that ethereal summer of Apollo 11, the phone rang in G. Harry Stine’s home on Bickford Lane in New Canaan, Connecticut. Model Products Corporation was on the phone and they had a problem.

MPC’s new acquisition of Model Rocket Industries along with principals Myke Bergenske and Ron Day had gone well. Myke and Ron joined Gil Leutz at MPC to create a formidable team which quickly secured a large order from Kmart; at the time a dominant player in the American retail scene. Along with the big order from Kmart came big exposure to a whole variety of characters unfamiliar to the plastic model manufacturer; Fire Marshalls. New stores selling model rockets meant new exposure to the varied opinions expressed by regional Fire Marshalls across the country. MPC needed Stine’s expertise to fight those battles.

As the first summer of Apollo drew into autumn, Stine met with the MPC brass for the first time. Gathered in the board room at MPC, the man at the end of the long table told the assembled that “MPC would have a rocket that cost a dollar” as he gestured to show the size of the future kit’s box.

The small story on page 12 of the October 1969 issue of Model Rocketry magazine headlined “MPC Retains Stine as Consultant”. The story didn’t address the regulatory aspect of Stine’s duties despite their importance. Rather, the announcement focused on his future role “for design and technical advice in the field of model rocketry”. As Stine quietly joined in the regulatory battle being waged behind the scenes, he also got to work on creating rocket designs and innovations still felt in the hobby today.

The same October 1969 issue of Model Rocketry announcing Stine’s employ by MPC also signaled their entry into the model rocket market. The page 25 headline read “MPC Enters Rocket Field”. Absent from these initial rocketry offerings were any of Stine’s design contributions; he was too new to the company. These models were all innovative creations from the fertile imaginations of the MRI crew.

The first MPC kits announced in October were the Redstone Maverick, Moon-Go, Flare Patriot, Lambda Payloader, Theta-Cajun, and the Icarus. Prices ranged from $1.50-$2.00. Their lineage was MRI all the way.

As Stine busied himself designing and creating new set of MPC models in his workshop, yet another Saturn V destined for the moon rolled to Pad 39A. Apollo 12 would leave for Luna on November 14. As Conrad, Gordon, and Bean went about their mission to the Ocean of Storms, Stine attended to his. Planet Earth loomed large in the windows of the Yankee Clipper spacecraft, only one day removed from its Pacific Ocean splashdown, as Stine set his first design onto its pad in Waveny Park (Waveny Park Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveny_Park)) , a short distance from his home in New Canaan.

For the first entry into “MPC Week” it seems appropriate to share the rocket from the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection that was conceived at Stine’s first MPC meeting; the MPC Pioneer 1. The box is 9 3/8 inches long and yes, the kit retailed for a dollar.

Here is the Pioneer 1 as it appeared on hobby shop shelves in the latter days of 1969 (except perhaps vertically).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEGfM7kVwAA03zf.jpg

The first Pioneer 1 as seen in the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEHBXhUW0AAYfeR.jpg

stefanj
07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
I have a fondness for the old MPC kits, which were among the first I purchsed. A hobby shop in Glen Cove, the next town over, carried them.

I also mail-ordered a metric buttload of them in the mid 70s. I won an AVI contest in 77 or so, and $50 of models at their prices went a long way!

That preserved Pioneer looks beautiful. Kept carefully stored all this time I guess!

Initiator001
07-08-2017, 03:16 PM
MPC’s new acquisition of Model Rocket Industries along with principals Myke Bergenske and Ron Day had gone well. Myke and Ron joined Gil Leutz at MPC to create a formidable team which quickly secured a large order from Kmart; at the time a dominant player in the American retail scene. Along with the big order from Kmart came big exposure to a whole variety of characters unfamiliar to the plastic model manufacturer; Fire Marshalls. New stores selling model rockets meant new exposure to the varied opinions expressed by regional Fire Marshalls across the country. MPC needed Stine’s expertise to fight those battles.

MPC was the first model rocket company to have their products for sale through a mass-market outlet (Kmart). That was a big deal.

It wasn't so much a fire marshal problem as a laws and regulations issue.

Kmart stores were all over the place back in the late 1960s-early 1970s. At that time model rocketry was still not quantified in many fire codes around the country. Some counties/towns/cities had either no regulations concerning model rocketry or lumped them in with fireworks.

This caused massive headaches for Kmart. While the rockets may be legal in one town, the next city over may ban them and fine Kmart for selling the MPC products.

Eventually Kmart gave up and asked MPC to take back all the rocket products and give Kmart a refund.

We were talking about a lot of unsold product. Not pallets but entire tractor-trailer loads of items.

MPC took a bath and decided to get out of the model rocketry business.

According to what I heard, Myke Bergenske was able to buy the remaining MPC product at fire sale prices.

Around 25 years ago some of this original MPC product was discovered and distributed to hobby shops. I managed to pick up model (kits and RTF) along with motors (Don't use them).
But, that's another story. ;)

pterodactyl
07-08-2017, 04:12 PM
Bob,

As usual that is just excellent input, thanks for sharing that insight. Posts like yours demonstrate why YORF is the perfect place for this blog-ish thread.

Thanks to you and all the others for their ongoing input. This is what an online community is supposed to look like.

More MPC tomorrow.

Pat

stefanj
07-08-2017, 07:00 PM
According to what I heard, Myke Bergenske was able to buy the remaining MPC product at fire sale prices.

Which he sold at amazing prices via AVI. You can find old sales brochures on Ninfinger I think.

He also sold MRI back-stock, and repackaged AVI parts to make "new" MRI kits.

I had a $15 balance on a AVI gift certificate when they went under. Man the stuff I could have bought with those $15! Pretty much one of everything that MPC made.

Another source of MPC stuff was Commonwealth Displays, a Michigan outfit which sold rocketry and fireworks stuff for many years. I recall buying very cheap FSI motors from them, and some of MPC's little-known RTF models.

pterodactyl
07-09-2017, 11:02 AM
The Flat Cat was a favorite boost glider design of G. Harry Stine, designed and developed in the mid 1960’s. Numerous examples were built and successfully flown by his YMCA Space Pioneers NAR Section in 1967 and onward.

Stine’s original Flat Cat plans and photographs remain in the unprocessed portion of his archive so we won't be able to see those for a few years. We hope the current rate of processing changes, but at the current speed it could be a long while. Maybe we can find a way to change that.

In August 1969, Model Rocketry magazine published detailed plans, a building guide, and history of the model in Stine’s monthly “Old Rocketeer” column. That column is still one of the best introductory boost glide construction ever written.

Model Rocketry Magazine, August 1969 (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v01n10_08-69.pdf)

At the end of the piece mention is made that Model Rocket Industries would soon be releasing the model as a kit. As it turned out Flat Cat would be released as a kit, but it wouldn’t be by MRI. The MPC buyout of MRI would change all that.

Flat Cat was intended as an easy to build model that a beginning modeler could assemble without need for airfoiling or difficult trimming prior to flight. The model abandoned the earlier V-Tail configuration of Stine’s Unicorn B/G design which could be challenging in the hands of a beginner.

Flat Cat made its first appearance in the Fourth Edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry. The model pictured here very closely resembles the model shown in the Fourth Edition. Note the "flat cat" cartoon Stine has drawn on the raw balsa looks identical to the 4th Edition kitty.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETaLyiUQAA7YtE.jpg

This second model is the first production MPC Flat Cat from Stine's collection. Note he built it without airfoils or rounded surfaces as 90 percent of the builders likely did also. The wing planform has been also been reversed from the model shown in the 4th Edition (thanks for pointing that out Walt!).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETapoDUQAAGMLk.jpg

Stine included a hand written tag identifying the significance of the model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETbXvqUAAA6k0d.jpg

The MPC retail packaging of the Flat Cat kit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETbxM0V0AAqx1m.jpg

Here's what you got inside the Flat Cat box. What percentage of kids today would be able to do this build?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DETcGzlUIAAlPaf.jpg

pterodactyl
07-12-2017, 02:49 PM
As Stine's consulting work for MPC progressed he began to leverage the company's expertise in plastics to produce their first scale model offerings; the Titan III, and the Vostok with its R-7 booster.

The models were announced at the Chicago Hobby Show in March of 1970 which was dutifully covered by Model Rocketry magazine in April 1970, the month Apollo 13 flew (too bad Cox didn't release the full Saturn tower instead of just the base).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjsa6jVYAMKMEg.jpg

Harry Stine showed off the MPC Vostok at the Pittsburgh Spring Convention as shown in this image from the June 1970 issue of Model Rocketry.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjtPq7V0AQY-bL.jpg

Despite the secretive nature of the early Soviet space program restrictions were relaxed in 1967 with the exhibition of a Vostok/R7 stack at the 1967 Paris Airshow and a release of scale information for modelers from Novosti Press Agency. Information that would have got you a ticket to Siberia or worse only a few years earlier!

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/E0XMAR/may-16-1967-soviet-rocket-launcher-vostok-at-paris-air-show-E0XMAR.jpg

Here's the Stine built MPC Vostok in the National Collection. It appears to be a different model from the one seen in the Pittsburgh Convention photo. The tiny Vostok sphere is visible in the nose.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjGFamUIAEkfpW.jpg

The obverse of the Vostok with Stine's characteristic "2" in evidence.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjFW0yUAAEKs-g.jpg

The MPC Vostok separated into its post-ejection components. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjGpeWVYAA7cs3.jpg

MPC re-released both the Vostok and Titan III several years ago, so interested modelers should find them fairly easy online.

hcmbanjo
07-12-2017, 03:06 PM
My MPC Vostok kit (original, not the reissue) had a single 20" thin Mylar parachute.
The instructions showed both the upper and lower sections were to descend on the single chute.

Those clear fins weren't part of the original MPC kit, two sets of white plastic fins were included.
Smaller fins for display, larger fins for stable flight. Both sets of fins snapped into the boosters.

http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/MPC%20Vostok

pterodactyl
07-12-2017, 03:57 PM
Chris,

You raise an interesting point regarding the fins. Could this be an earlier prototype with clear plastic fins or did Stine make a modification to a stock kit to boost stability?

Perhaps an enterprising forum member can scan the competition records to see if the model was a Stine entry in a scale or plastic model event.

Pat

pterodactyl
07-14-2017, 10:41 AM
The Nike Smoke was one of Stine's favorites. It was featured in an extensive "Astro-Scale" article he wrote for Model Rocketry magazine, which was supported with detailed scale data accumulated in his time at White Sands.

As we have seen before, Stine would provide 3x5 cards which told the history behind models in his collection he felt were significant. This MPC model Nike Smoke is likely the first one built from the test examples of the initial plastic parts created by MPC. The same molds were used by Quest in their commemorative Nike Smoke production run.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEtKoztVoAEI4q2.jpg

Here's another different completed model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEtKR1RVYAYzc_4.jpg

rocket.aero
07-15-2017, 09:21 AM
While the National Collection contains many significant artifacts from the development of MPC's rocket line, what is lacking is a detailed history of the why and how of their development. Some of that story is captured in Stine's "Old Rocketeer" columns published in Model Rocketry magazine during that period, but there are many gaps. To our loss, I don't believe Harry Stine ever sat down for an oral history interview to discuss that period almost 50 years ago.

Pat (and others),

The Stine archives at NASM have a significant amount of correspondence related to GHS and the MPC foray into the modroc market. While I do not have any copies of the documents here, the correspondence starts with an enthusiastic and optimistic tone on the part of all involved, then declines as the projected sales volumes fail to materialize, illustrating exactly what Myke Bergenske shared in his conversation with Chris Michielssen.

After MPC exits the market there is additional conversation between GHS and Myke concerning AVI, but it is hinted in the documents that the new venture lacked both the capital and capabilities to sustain the business.

James

pterodactyl
07-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Like all model rocket manufacturers MPC felt compelled to offer a starter kit. This one might have came and went too fast for any of us to see it in a chain store or hobby shop. The kit contained the essential elements that would allow a rocketeer to get flying. I won't picture all the components here, so if you need a detail shot let me know. You'll notice a small AVI sticker on this kit, indicating it was part of the post MPC model rocketry apocalypse.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE-qtPMUQAAjlQM.jpg

The contents were neatly restrained for transport. To my knowledge MPC was the first manufacturer to use the parabolic ceramic deflector. It's partially visible under the arched cardboard piece.

For bonus points can anybody tell us who is generally credited with developing this type of deflector?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE-q8QEVwAA3jZS.jpg

Like most starter kits, this one also has "some assembly required". These pieces yield a pretty cool looking launch controller that looked more like a slot car rheostat control than anything else on the market.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE-sCEEUQAAndbz.jpg

Here we have the first model rocket launcher to include a weather vane. However unlike its farmyard cousin, it lacked the important rooster accompaniment. An oversight in my opinion...... ;)

This style launcher would surface once again under the Canaroc label.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DE-sUsmV0AATv5D.jpg

stefanj
07-18-2017, 09:00 AM
I have couple of the MPC launchers, complete with "egg" deflectors, but never managed to snag a launch controller. I wish I had, back when had AVI loot!

I may have gotten one of the pads in the remains of an MPC starter set bought at a garage sale. Maybe.

LeeR
07-18-2017, 10:09 AM
I do not recall seeing the MPC launch pad and controller items or sets in Colorado hobby shops as a kid. It may have been a regional thing. I also never saw Centuri's products. I did manage to see a catalog and ordered some motors. Ironically, those were the motors made by Estes and looked mostly identical, with the colored ink bands and company markings. I cannot believe I never ordered any kits, but I was more of a scratch-builder as a kid.

I guess the Estes influence in Colorado was very strong. We had some hobby shops that stocked every kit, motor, and part available, but not until maybe the mid-60s. It was all mail order for me in the beginning. Some of my fondest memories of childhood were hearing the doorbell ring early in the morning, and running downstairs to see the mailman standing on the porch with a long skinny box from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World" -- Penrose. :)

Vern
07-18-2017, 01:07 PM
The MPC entry into the market was not viewed lightly in Penrose. Backed by giant General Mills, and assisted by the expertise and knowledge of Harry Stine, it looked like it might be something of real competitive concern. We watched with great interest as the future unfolded. Let's put it this way:

"MPC's rocket like high level thrust into the market soon entered the coasting phase which delayed their anticipated progress. The MPC marketing coast phase abruptly ended with the opening of a rescue parachute, drifting slowly to the ground. Like the flight of a model rocket, it didn't last long."

MPC was trying to plow new ground in how model rockets were offered to the public. Unfortunately, even with their innovative products, it was not where the market was at the time. As had been the case for many years, we focused our attention on Centuri, who continued nipping at our heals for market share. My estimate at the time would have been Estes 70%, Centuri 30% of the model rocket market. (not allowing for other smaller companies) -- Vern

tbzep
07-18-2017, 01:48 PM
As had been the case for many years, we focused our attention on Centuri, who continued nipping at our heals for market share. My estimate at the time would have been Estes 70%, Centuri 30% of the model rocket market. (not allowing for other smaller companies) -- Vern
With Estes and Centuri competition in mind, how did it play out for Centuri to sell rebranded Estes motors throughout the 70's while the two Damon companies still operated separately and competed with each other? I can understand that Mabel and her sisters were able to crank out more motors than Estes could sell, but it seems that holding back on the motors and allowing Centuri to wither on the vine would have resulted in that 30% migrating to Estes.

Vern
07-18-2017, 03:50 PM
The only time I regretted selling engines to Centuri was a short time in the mid 1960's. Mabel was running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and could not keep up. We had orders we could not fill, and still shared the available supply with Centuri. The problem was solved when Mabel 2 came on line.

Centuri brought a lot to the table in terms of their contribution and advancement of the hobby. Lee and Betty were our friends. We traveled together to enjoy the sights of Paris, London, New York, etc. Their may have been times when we could have taken action to harm Centuri, but I do not think it would have served us well. I have frequently said that "Centuri was an important part of our success.". Nothing makes you run faster than having someone behind you nipping at your heals.

I well remember in the early/mid 1960's receiving a box from Lee. I opened it at my desk in Penrose. Inside was a brand new Centuri full color catalog, far superior in appearance to the catalog we were using at the time. Included with the catalog was a Crying Towel. Believe me, our next catalog showed a vast improvement. Thank you Centuri! -- Vern

Pat -- Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic. Looking forward to your next post on MOF collection. Enjoying seeing all of the historic items in the collection. -- Vern

stefanj
07-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic.

Heck, Vern, these comments are invaluable business / personal context! The kind of thing that will be cited in a history book someday.

Thinking back: I learned about model rocketry through a little B&W Estes advertisement in Boy's Life in 1970. (I didn't follow through until I found an actual catalog at summer camp, which made the amazing promises in that ad real!) There was a more colorful ad (maybe 1/6th page) with a bonus kit offer later that year that I used to order my own first catalog. (Estes & Centuri also took out classified ads in the back of Popular Science and similar magazines; virtually the same ad year after year.)

MPC ran ads in Boy's Life as well, and they were full page! I imagine that required a healthy advertising budget.

I got my first rockets and motors from Estes, mail order, perhaps fall 1970.

MPC motors and Centuri kits appeared in a local (Glen Cove, LI) hardware / variety store late in 1970. MPC motors and kits, as well as the Cox line, appeared in a small hobby shop up the road at about the same time.

Estes kits started showing up in 1972 or so, at a toy shop across the street from the hardware store. I was a loyal Estes kid, and this was welcome. Oh, and a little later a "card shop" (a variety store, with a newsstand and candy counter up front, and stationary, toys, and gifts in back) carried Estes kits.

I don't recall any model rockets, other than perhaps Vashon, showing up in the big toy superstores that were starting to appear at the time.

So . . . lots of distribution in a wide variety of outlets.

rocketguy101
07-18-2017, 05:56 PM
I do not recall seeing the MPC launch pad and controller items or sets in Colorado hobby shops as a kid. It may have been a regional thing. I also never saw Centuri's products. I did manage to see a catalog and ordered some motors. Ironically, those were the motors made by Estes and looked mostly identical, with the colored ink bands and company markings. I cannot believe I never ordered any kits, but I was more of a scratch-builder as a kid.

I guess the Estes influence in Colorado was very strong. We had some hobby shops that stocked every kit, motor, and part available, but not until maybe the mid-60s. It was all mail order for me in the beginning. Some of my fondest memories of childhood were hearing the doorbell ring early in the morning, and running downstairs to see the mailman standing on the porch with a long skinny box from "The Model Rocket Capital of the World" -- Penrose. :)
Lee I had nearly the opposite experience growing up in a small Arizona town...the hobby shop there was strictly Centuri! He did carry Model Rocketry magazine and it was in there I learned about Estes and the other companies :D I didn't start mail ordering until we moved to Tucson. The hobby shops there had more balanced stock of Centuri, Estes, and later Cox and MPC.

Rocketaholic
07-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I am using that kind of pad. The launch control is different but still a classic.

pterodactyl
07-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Vern: Your comments are always welcome. The contributions of other forum members can also be invaluable and are encouraged at any time.

Pat

Rocketaholic
07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Picture of controller powered on attached.

LeeR
07-18-2017, 10:50 PM
Lee I had nearly the opposite experience growing up in a small Arizona town...the hobby shop there was strictly Centuri! He did carry Model Rocketry magazine and it was in there I learned about Estes and the other companies :D I didn't start mail ordering until we moved to Tucson. The hobby shops there had more balanced stock of Centuri, Estes, and later Cox and MPC.

Dave, interesting! I still mentally kick myself for placing an engine-only order with Centuri! :) I do still have the cool little shipping boxes they came in. Looks like they could hold about 6 motors. I'll have to see. I still have a couple B14s (booster and upper stage) which by the date on them may have been from that order.

Initiator001
07-18-2017, 10:56 PM
This thread has been fantastic!

Please keep posting Pat, Vern (and Gleda ;) )

pterodactyl
07-19-2017, 09:53 AM
The MPC starter kit pictured earlier featured a unique parabolic blast deflector. The design made its first appearance as an R&D entry at NARAM 11 submitted by Sven Englund of New Canaan, CT.

This was the very same Sven Englund who was the winner of the Estes "Launch Pad Sweepstakes" which had a trip to see the Apollo 11 launch with Vern Estes as its grand prize. Methinks that ol' Sven might have been the object of envy by a few thousand rocketeers over that win!

Only a few months later the April 7, 1970 issue of Model Rocketry magazine would report that MPC had purchased the rights to his deflector design from Sven for the princely sum of $75 dollars. Here's the story from Ninfinger.org: Model Rocketry Magazine April, 1970 (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v02n07_04-70.pdf)

The design is still available today from various model rocketry dealers.

Quixote
07-19-2017, 11:04 AM
PAT, Remember that Canaroc acquired the MPC Pad, plus the COX Launch Controller, renaming it the "Transa-pad" it also included Sven's Ceramic deflector. Love those little units, I still have a half dozen or so in my Ground Equipment inventory. They are fragile , and don't survive blown nozzles on those rare motor cato's. :) .

I too am enjoying this history thread.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

rocketguy101
07-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Dave, interesting! I still mentally kick myself for placing an engine-only order with Centuri! :) I do still have the cool little shipping boxes they came in. Looks like they could hold about 6 motors. I'll have to see. I still have a couple B14s (booster and upper stage) which by the date on them may have been from that order.
I don't recall a special motor shipping box...could you post a pic? It's a part of history just like blue and red tubes, right?

Rocketaholic
07-20-2017, 11:58 AM
When will Vern Estes or Lee Piesters books be released?
The videos that they both have presented (NARCON 2014 and at NARCON 2017) were priceless.

pterodactyl
07-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Vern recently mentioned (ie yesterday) that his book is still a work in progress. He and Gleda plan to be at NARAM 59, so if you're there you could ask him for an update or he may offer one here. As an aside, based on what he told me his next planned update here should prove very interesting.

Lee has not mentioned his book idea for a few months so it might not be an active project at this point. Having said that he is doing some organizational work on his collection and that could be part of an overall plan to which I am not privy.

Rocketaholic
07-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Video of rocket history

Estes:

https://youtu.be/sLn8UX2UYaQ

Centuri:

https://youtu.be/DtfS540a5Ck

Rocketaholic
07-20-2017, 01:17 PM
It's nice seeing you give the opening speech for Vern at the MOF 2014

pterodactyl
07-21-2017, 09:50 AM
The first issue of Model Rocketry magazine I ever saw was on the rack in a store in Revelstoke, British Columbia in July, 1971. The fact the magazine somehow made its way into the Rocky Mountains of Canada always puzzled me until decades later when Trip Barber (former magazine staffer) explained my find was a result of Model Rocketry's brief foray into mass marketing publication. We know that experiment didn't end well, but as a new rocketeer the magazine opened a door to an entirely new universe. Thank you Editor/Publisher George Flynn.

In that July, 1971 issue was G. Harry Stine's Old Rocketeer column entitled "Engines: Full Circle" which describes the history of model rocket engine development from Orville Carlisle to the newly released MPC Minijets developed by Myke Bergenske. This is G. Harry Stine's writing at its absolute best, so if you haven't read the piece you can find it here: Model Rocketry magazine, July 1971. (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v03n09_07-71.pdf)

In the article Stine describes the process he followed to design and test the first MPC Minijet kits. Some of the people who read this might have attended that MIT Convention and witnessed the first flight of the MPC minijet Pipsqueak at the convention demonstration launch.

If you saw the Minijet launches at MIT please do tell us about your recollections!

The Pipsqueak's design stands up very well today, even though its a tiny "fire and forget" model almost guaranteed to be lost under anything but the smallest motor. An MPC minijet B motor? Adios baby.

Here's a very clean example of a Pipsqueak in the National Collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFRCLgMUQAAzJBN.jpg

Who knew the Pipsqueak had an ugly, rejected cousin who had been locked away for decades? Here it is, revealed to the world for the first time. I'd say somebody made a good call to kill this design.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFRCjKIU0AQ4DE6.jpg

This shot looks pretty funky due to the detached fin, but it gives a perspective on the overall lines of the model. The fin would be repaired if/when the model was exhibited. From a museum perspective it doesn't make sense to expend finite resources to repair things that aren't about to go on exhibit. As a modeler that does not sit well, but I get it!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFRHX50UIAEtsTw.jpg

Trip Barber
07-22-2017, 09:40 PM
I was the chairman of the 1971 MIT Convention, and that is where I met Harry Stine for the first time. I was an MIT sophomore, not yet fully accustomed to running things and public speaking, and he was a mythic god-like figure to me.

The plan that Harry had developed for the mini-jet rollout involved press coverage at the MITCON launch, which was supposed to be out at a large flying field outside of Boston. We were planning to bus the MITCON participants to the launch, the normal practice for MITCONs.

The year before I arrived at MIT the convention had its cash box stolen and ended up with a big debt to MIT for convention expenses. I had held MIT off from collection when I ran the 1970 MITCON (and paid part of the debt from that event's profits), but shortly before the 1971 MITCON the school demanded full payment for the balance. I had to make a major cut in the MITCON 1971 expenses at the last minute, so I canceled the buses and shifted the launch to be on the MIT athletic field, not a large launch site.

When Harry arrived at MITCON and heard the news, he was absolutely furious at the disruption to his public relations plan. He got right in my face, and used not very pleasant language to express his displeasure. You can imagine how a 19-year-old college student felt about this introduction!

We did the launch on the MIT fields and it went fine.

Harry and I became good friends over the subsequent years of working together on rocketry safety issues and NAR business, and he even dedicated one of his sci-fi books to me due to my career Navy service. But I'll never forget how I met him!

Trip Barber
NAR 4322

Doug Sams
07-23-2017, 08:29 AM
I was the chairman of the 1971 MIT Convention, and that is where I met Harry Stine for the first time. I was an MIT sophomore, not yet fully accustomed to running things and public speaking, and he was a mythic god-like figure to me.

The plan that Harry had developed for the mini-jet rollout involved press coverage at the MITCON launch, which was supposed to be out at a large flying field outside of Boston. We were planning to bus the MITCON participants to the launch, the normal practice for MITCONs.

The year before I arrived at MIT the convention had its cash box stolen and ended up with a big debt to MIT for convention expenses. I had held MIT off from collection when I ran the 1970 MITCON (and paid part of the debt from that event's profits), but shortly before the 1971 MITCON the school demanded full payment for the balance. I had to make a major cut in the MITCON 1971 expenses at the last minute, so I canceled the buses and shifted the launch to be on the MIT athletic field, not a large launch site.

When Harry arrived at MITCON and heard the news, he was absolutely furious at the disruption to his public relations plan. He got right in my face, and used not very pleasant language to express his displeasure. You can imagine how a 19-year-old college student felt about this introduction!

We did the launch on the MIT fields and it went fine.

Harry and I became good friends over the subsequent years of working together on rocketry safety issues and NAR business, and he even dedicated one of his sci-fi books to me due to my career Navy service. But I'll never forget how I met him!

Trip Barber
NAR 4322

LIKE!

Doug

pterodactyl
07-23-2017, 09:15 AM
As Trip's account suggests, Harry Stine was feeling the pressure of the Minijet debut. MITCON was one of the largest model rocket conventions in the country and a lot rode on the performance of the new MPC Minijet line in front of one of the most influential audiences in the hobby.

The six new MiniJet kits were Stine's babies, and none more than the Delta Katt. In the April 1971 of his Old Rocketeer column, Stine promised an article on the glider, and in the November issue of Model Rocketry the Delta Katt article (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v04n02_11-71.pdf) would appear.

Stine's article goes into a lot of the technical thought behind the design. Terms like "vortex lift", a discussion of the dihedral on the canard, and the angles of the tip rudders all are bandied about. However, Stine never once acknowledges the real reason behind the overall design of the model.

Here's very clean example of a Delta Katt in the National Collection, carrying an inconspicuous "2" as its only marking.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFbKPD5WsAQsolv.jpg

Here's another view of Stine's Delta Katt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFbLrTkWAAEU8wj.jpg

So what was Stine's unstated design motivation behind Delta Katt? The answer is a completely different flying machine, that like its smaller B/G cousin, looks completely at home in the 21st century.

Here's an example of the unbuilt MPC kit in retail packaging.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFbOveYXkAAYiwG.jpg

Here's the wikipedia entry on the North American XB-70. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie)

https://media.defense.gov/2006/Nov/22/2000533297/-1/-1/0/061122-F-1234P-019.JPG

http://www.justplaneprints.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/fsx-2014-09-09-09-02-48-94.jpg

Rocketaholic
07-23-2017, 10:31 AM
This is valuable history not well known. Thank you for sharing this interesting behind the scenes of the hobby.

vcp
07-25-2017, 11:33 PM
FWIW and maybe this is already known, but the Heinlein Archives http://www.heinleinarchives.net/upload/index.php contains a lot of correspondence between RAH and GHS. Heinlein was outraged when Harry was fired from his job at White Sands and wrote to newspapers and everyone in authority he could find.

I have some of the pieces from the archive, but it's all copyright and for profit. Not sure that I could even find the bits I have now.

pterodactyl
07-26-2017, 12:36 PM
Over forty years ago, in April 1977 the Alberta Association of Rocket Clubs held what was at the time the largest model rocketry convention ever hosted in Canada. The three day event was held at the Calgary Centennial Planetarium in Calgary, Alberta and the guest of honor was G. Harry Stine.
At the time the Alberta government was flush with cash from oil revenues and was distributing money to community groups and associations like the AARC. Under the leadership of Roger Lufkin, the owner and founder of Canaroc Industries, the association had formed and held at least 5 member clubs which likely totaled somewhere around 200-250 rocketeers. AARCON 77 was the first rocketry convention hosted by the group.
Trip Barber earlier mentioned experiencing some nerves the first time he met the model rocketry demi-god known as G. Harry Stine at MITCON in 1971. In similar fashion, as I waited for Stine to clear Canadian Customs at the Calgary airport, there were a few Flat Cats catching thermals in my stomach.
Finally he appeared well attired in a blazer and tie carrying a suitcase and a smaller well-travelled looking attaché case. I was to learn that the smaller case held what even then were considered extremely rare artifacts. They would go on to become the crown jewels of the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection.

Stine at AARCON '77 in April, 1977.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFrQJOOWsAAmfG2.jpg

We exchanged greetings and Harry commented on how the flight’s cabin altitude had enhanced the effects of alcohol during the first class service he had enjoyed on the Western Airlines flight from Phoenix. I have no idea what that first class airline ticket cost in pre-Deregulation dollars, but it’s a good indication how well financed the Alberta association was at that time.

Some of the rare rocketry goodies that Stine brought northward to Calgary, Canada.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFrQplUWAAA7uxI.jpg

Stine hooks up his FlatCat at the AARCON '77 launch at Calgary in April, 1977.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFrQ63bWsAI7Iar.jpg

Those first class drinks might also have made for a more candid and revealing conversation from Stine than might otherwise been volunteered. We made our way to my father’s shiny new blue Plymouth Fury sedan for the ride to Stine’s five star lodging at the Calgary Inn (now the Westin) in downtown Calgary.
On the drive to the hotel the conversation would reveal another MPC secret.

The MPC Titan III kit (www.spaceistheplace.ca)

http://www.spaceistheplace.ca/titaniiic_mpc.jpg

Perhaps somebody here knows why the Air Force Titan III was selected as a subject for MPC’s first American scale rocket kit. Maybe the movie Marooned had something to do with its suspenseful Titan III launch. Here’s a link to the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 send-up of Marooned (MST3K Marooned ((https://youtu.be/ax3q-RkVIt4?list=PLcbDZAnKs0zbT2XuaVhNwB6ShuZ3RukgN) ). If you go to the scene at the 55:00 minute mark you’ll find a scene with a funny crack most of us can appreciate. The object of the comment is no other than G. Harry Stine’s friend Martin (Marty to Harry) Caidin who authored the sci-fi novel version of Marooned. He's the guy in glasses, with lambchop sideburns and the "interesting" hat.

In our drive to the hotel I mentioned to Stine that the MPC Titan kit was one of my favorites.
His response was “it turned out pretty well-except its wrong. The strap-on diameters are way off; they’re too small”.

The parts from the MPC Titan III (scalemodelnews.com)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-r4k97FeoP28/U9iqOamdWUI/AAAAAAAAUCQ/eL7Gg9UJicA/s1600/MPC_TitanIIIC%5B04%5D.JPG

Today over forty years later I checked his statement out with a ruler. With reference to Alway's Rockets of the World, measurement of the MPC reissue of the Titan III confirms it. The kit’s core stage is pretty close to 1/100 scale’s 1.2 inches at 1.125.
The strap-on boosters are way out of scale. The kit boosters are 1 inch in diameter versus the 122.3 advertised in Rockets of the World. In real measure on the kit that’s about 1/8 of an inch, on the real beast it would be a difference of 22.3 inches. Oops.

-Folks: I'm headed to NARAM. Updates should return in a week or 10 days. If you're at NARAM please say hello. I'll be the guy sweating in the sweaty MOF tee shirt.-

pterodactyl
08-13-2017, 04:28 PM
In January, 1977 the eight part television miniseries "Roots" appeared and broke records for television network program viewership. Over 130 million people were estimated to have seen the program which was based on author Alex Haley's book of the same name.

In the spring of 1977 the NAR was on the cusp of its 20th anniversary. As a student of history, Stine was well aware of the importance of self-identify to a successful organization and borrowed the "roots" appellation for the story of model rocketry and the NAR.

In April of 1977 one of the his first presentations of "The Roots of Model Rocketry" was delivered to a rapt gathering of model rocketry enthusiasts assembled at the Calgary Centennial Planetarium. Stine brought the "crown jewels" of model rocketry with him to Calgary along with a tray full of slide images and would show them off.

The models that traveled to Calgary in his battered attache case were a Carlisle Mark II, original Model Missile Inc AerobeeHi, an original Dirty Bird, and some of the first Rock-A-Chute model rocket motors.

All of these models and the rare slides of NAR's formative years are now in the Collection of Model and Sport Rocketry at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

These photos, never before seen in public, show that presentation as it happened on Saturday, April 2, 1977.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHIdsrcUIAAHwpj.jpg

Stine with his Carlisle Mark II model. He informed the audience that rubber shock cords "don't last 20 years".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHIfB4bUwAAHhcv.jpg

This close-up of the Mark II clearly shows the Leeds Sweete red plastic crayon sharpener used as a nosecone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHIeW2nUQAAaDyl.jpg

Here Harry Stine shows off an original Model Missiles AerobeeHi complete with rubber nosecone. As a baby Bill Stine would be given one of the rubber noses to chew on when he was cutting a tooth.

The next day the convention crowd would attend a launch at the Scenic Acres launch site. Here Stine did something almost inconceivable today; he flew an original MMI AerobeeHi model!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHIf8BTUMAA3-uS.jpg

Look closely and you'll see Stine's original MMI AerobeeHi set up on the Calgary Rocket Club launch rack. It had a perfect flight. This field became a housing development a couple of decades ago.

LeeR
08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't recall a special motor shipping box...could you post a pic? It's a part of history just like blue and red tubes, right?

David, sorry for the delay. Here is the box. I put 6 motors in it. Clearly there is extra room to put some wrap in the box to protect the motors. I don't recall exactly what it looked like. The postage on the side shows June 2, 1970. This was within a days from my high school graduation! It also shows that postage was 12 cents! (And that explains the red ink "12" at top of box -- shipping charges to be used to generate the postage label.)

Clearly in high school I could not write, or fit, "Miscellaneous" on the box, so it stored "Junk". :)

The little wires are rusted, but they were loops that passed thru slits in the cover, and folded over, so I guess contents could be inspected. The box was not sealed with tape.

LeeR
08-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Sorry, a little off topic - I'm really enjoying the National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection.

Now that Estes is doing mail orders now, why can't they print:
"From The Model Rocket Capitol of the World!"
on their boxes?

I can understand why it can't go on the postage label so why not the box?
It's be nostalgic and a big kick for us older guys.

Agreed! I wish I had one of those shipping boxes and postage label from my childhood.

pterodactyl
09-01-2017, 01:47 PM
The Stine Collection at The Museum of Flight contains several examples of the original 1970 era 1/100 scale MPC plastic kit of the Soviet R7 booster. This particular model depicts the Sputnik configuration of the kit finished in bright aluminum finish. A clear plastic nose allows a view of a tiny Sputnik satellite housed within.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIqAo9qUEAAACqV.jpg:large

This finish is quite close to the appearance of the actual vehicle used to loft Sputnik 1 on October 4, 1957; almost 60 years ago. The event sent shockwaves across the world and heralded the beginning of the space race and changed the course of history. Getty Images has a nice color photo of the vehicle, but since they claim to own the image rights from an old Soviet propaganda film we can't embed the image in here: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/170983479

A frequently repeated myth is that people could see Sputnik 1 from the Earth; a myth perpetuated in the movie October Sky. While Sputnik was highly polished, visually acquiring the beachball sized satellite would have been at the limits of visual acuity. What observers were likely seeing was the much larger R7 core vehicle which also was also in orbit for a few days after the launch.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIqCLksVYAAwxhT.jpg

Here we see the business end of the R7 booster and its clustered RD-107 booster engines. The location of the four core engines are replaced by the model rocket engine tube.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIqCaYDUQAEGl4I.jpg

The MPC model was long out of production, but a recent reissue of the kit made from the orginal molds will make it easy for modelers to build their own flying examples in time for the October anniversary.

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/images/MPC792%20Vostok%20Rocket.JPG

Rocketaholic
09-01-2017, 01:58 PM
Awesome detail.

I'm glad it has been preserved.

mbauer
09-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Wow, what a read!

Just finished start to end so far, this is my favorite thread from any rocket forum.

Thank you everyone, please keep more heading our way.

Talk about memory road, bought my Estes from the back of Boy's Life, glad to see others mention it as well.

BTW-Was planning on being at the airport in Kenai for a flight today, instead got side-tracked, now I can go fly after finishing. On the other hand, the last image of the XB-70, looks like from X-Plane simulator, has me thinking it has been awhile since I have flown it as well. Maybe get it all done today.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Jerry Irvine
09-04-2017, 05:44 PM
The only time I regretted selling engines to Centuri was a short time in the mid 1960's. Mabel was running 24 hours a day, seven days a week and could not keep up. We had orders we could not fill, and still shared the available supply with Centuri. The problem was solved when Mabel 2 came on line.

Centuri brought a lot to the table in terms of their contribution and advancement of the hobby. Lee and Betty were our friends. We traveled together to enjoy the sights of Paris, London, New York, etc. Their may have been times when we could have taken action to harm Centuri, but I do not think it would have served us well. I have frequently said that "Centuri was an important part of our success.". Nothing makes you run faster than having someone behind you nipping at your heals.

I well remember in the early/mid 1960's receiving a box from Lee. I opened it at my desk in Penrose. Inside was a brand new Centuri full color catalog, far superior in appearance to the catalog we were using at the time. Included with the catalog was a Crying Towel. Believe me, our next catalog showed a vast improvement. Thank you Centuri! -- Vern

Pat -- Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic. Looking forward to your next post on MOF collection. Enjoying seeing all of the historic items in the collection. -- VernLike. It was an honour to share a drink with you, Lee and Lonnie at NARWIN-1.

Technically it was also an honour for you to show up at my Lucerne launch and ask I remove certified Firestarter motors from the market. While I declined because I was limiting distribution to launch dealers, and the subsequent tests proved me right, It was awesome!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR ENTIRE SOCIETY VERN.

pterodactyl
09-05-2017, 06:04 PM
In November 1969, as eyes were turned toward Apollo 12's lunar explorations, G. Harry Stine brought model rocketeers back to Earth with a column that would recall the first American rocket to successfully orbit a satellite; the Jupiter C and its Explorer 1 payload.

In the November 1969 issue of model rocketry Stine wrote an exceptionally detailed article on converting the Hawk Jupiter C kit to flight. The article and its detailed instructions read as well as they day they were published nearly a half century ago. Jupiter C Plastic Model Conversion by G. Harry Stine (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/Model_Rocketry_v02n02_11-69.pdf)

Could Stine have written the article as a means to generate interest and acceptance of plastic model rockets, knowing in a few months that MPC would offer modelers detailed examples of both the Vostok booster and Titan III? We may never know the answer to that question, but The Museum of Flight does have the model, still in exceptionally fine condition, build by Stine and presented in the original article.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEjOXxTUIAAMptn.jpg:large

This model is one of at least two Hawk Jupiter C's built by Stine. Apparently one was destroyed during competition at NARAM-9 in Mankato, Minnesota. The exceptionally clean condition of this model suggests that it has never been flown.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI_mbMZVoAAjY48.jpg

Some of the fine detail on the Hawk kit is shown here. True space nerds will recall that the drum structure with the vertical stripe seen here was spun prior to launch to spin stabilize the third stage of the configuration that put Explorer 1 into its final orbit.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI_n1wAUMAEHCpd.jpg

Good fin details on the model are noted in this image. Readers may find it interesting that the thrust produced by the Jupiter C motor is less than that produced by a single Boeing 777 engine at takeoff thrust.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI_sjJ-XoAAap3f.jpg

A good chunk of nose weight in the model will bring it into stable flight margins.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mQ0AAOSwdIFXxNkr/s-l1600.jpg

The original Hawk kit and Glencoe reissue appear to be readily available online, so a nostalgia minded modeler should have no problem recreating this beauty in time for the Explorer 1 60th.

Rocketaholic
09-05-2017, 08:49 PM
That is really neat

pterodactyl
09-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Astron Alpha at the Museum of Flight and get free admission via Smithsonian Museum Day Live*!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJXteTJUMAAFj9y.jpg

Join us as we celebrate 50 years of the Estes Astron Alpha model rocket! The Alpha, which has been in continuous production for over 50 years, has introduced thousands to the hobby of model rocketry since its appearance in 1967. One of Estes best sellers, the Astron Alpha is a favorite of experienced rocketeers in its original form as well as subsequent variations created over the past half-century.

Displays: The National Association of Rocketry will exhibit models showcasing the evolution and descendants of the Alpha, including the world's largest, at 12 feet tall!
Meet and Greet: Bill Simon, the designer of the original Alpha will be on hand to talk with the public.
The Boeing Employees Model Rocket Club will host a special Alpha Anniversary launch on Sunday, Sept. 24 at the club's Kent launch site. Ask at the tables for details.

*Get Free Museum Admission Coupon Here (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/museum-day-live-2017/)

pterodactyl
09-13-2017, 08:47 AM
As the NAR and MOF salute to the Estes Astron Alpha approaches it is appropriate to discuss our guest of honor Bill Simon, longtime VP at Estes and designer of many classic Estes kits. If you haven't been there already Eric Higgins excellent website has an informative page on Bill's kit designs. Bill Simon's career at Estes. (http://vintageestesrockets.com/k-kit-registry/designers/bill-simon.htm)

http://vintageestesrockets.com/images/designers/bill-simon.png

Image courtesy of Vintage Estes Rockets/ Eric Higgins. (http://vintageestesrockets.com/index.htm)

You can follow the link on Eric's page to an interview with Bill Simon or see the attached file. The article discusses the origins of the Alpha design and the excitement at Estes during the Golden Age of model rocketry.

Local Seattle collector Dan French will have his own personal collection of Alpha variants on display Saturday September 23rd at the Museum of Flight. Dan has more Alphas in his collection than G. Harry Stine! Also on display will be the world's biggest Alpha; generously loaned for display by US Rockets. Thank you!

The G. Harry Stine Collection contains several examples of the Alpha. Here we see one of the early examples of the Alpha using plastic components.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJiQ9xGUIAEMPKw.jpg:large

While marketed as the Phantom II, it was really just a clear plastic Alpha and one of the coolest education aids ever brought to market!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJiUdBKU8AAqkPJ.jpg

How many young people started their rocketry hobby with an Alpha Starter Kit? Hundreds of thousands would be my guess.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJiRRdJUIAATEqx.jpg

pterodactyl
09-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Bill Simon had a problem. After working long hours writing copy for the "Estes Model Rocket News" he was also responsible for putting together the layout for the 1964 Estes model rocket catalog. The problem was he had a partially blank page he had to fill, and he wanted to fill it with a new rocket design.

This is the cover of the 64-1 catalog which features the Cobra, also a Bill Simon design.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes64/64estf.jpg

The "page filler" rocket that was born was none other than the Astron Sky Hook, catalog number K-8. Here's how that once blank page (page 15) turned out.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes64/64est14.jpg

As Estes catalogs transitioned to model photos the Sky Hook would retain its original paint scheme. This particular model (or a close cousin) is in the Vern Estes Collection.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/72est012.jpg

The Sky Hook was faithfully reproduced as part of Semroc's SLS line as shown in this eRockets image. Reports from Canada are that it positively screams on an Estes E9 (even with the exchange rate).

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTcxWDU5Nw==/z/rl0AAOSwJMhXD-DX/$_58.JPG

After a one year sabbatical in 1986, the Sky Hook would reappear as the "new" Sky Hook in 1987 for its final catalog appearance.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes87/87est20.jpg

The G. Harry Stine collection has a very nice example of Bill Simon's Astron Sky Hook which has been finished in the traditional catalog paint scheme.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJxNDXTVoAMT9_E.jpg:large

Ltvscout
09-15-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm still extremely grateful for Bill scanning his collection of Estes' internal newsletter called, The Estes Launch Pad, for me to post for all to enjoy. You can find that collection here along with an introduction he wrote for it:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/elp.htm

pterodactyl
09-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Here's a quick factoid that Bill offered on the Sky Hook:

Skyhook K-8 1963 I had built this as a personal model, but it was popular enough at Estes Ind. that we did a free plan in the MRN. Our customers started asking for a kit of it, so we obliged.

tbzep
09-16-2017, 08:34 AM
The December 24, 1970 issue mentions that a 1 minute experimental tv advertisement was to be shot and aired in Wichita, KS and Salt Lake City, UT. Did this take place and did anybody see it?

BTW, the January 9, 1970 issue shows 331 employees at Estes. Wow!

Royatl
09-16-2017, 03:32 PM
The December 24, 1970 issue mentions that a 1 minute experimental tv advertisement was to be shot and aired in Wichita, KS and Salt Lake City, UT. Did this take place and did anybody see it?

BTW, the January 9, 1970 issue shows 331 employees at Estes. Wow!

I think I saw bits and pieces of it on NBC's First Tuesday news magazine where Sander Vanocur did a report on modern, high-tech toys.

pterodactyl
09-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Apogee K-5 1963: Vern wanted a two-stage kit, so this is what we came up with. Forty plus years later I was the project management grunt in building another vehicle named Apogee--Bill Anders' 55 foot expedition yacht.

Apogee II K-5 1963: And later, when Vern was tackling the problem of multi-stage reliability, I suggested he try taping the two engines together to delay separation long enough to ensure upper stage ignition. This is the version with adaptations for better reliability.

Here we see G. Harry Stine's personal Apogee II displaying his characteristic NAR 2 identification.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKBAJF8WkAAlcyq.jpg:small

pterodactyl
09-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Scrambler K-37 1968: Somebody was egging me on . . . . .

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKMirfwU8AAIJ_l.jpg

Cobra K-10 1963: I don't recall why we produced this kit, but it was well-received at the time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKMkB9XV4AA0C-1.jpg

stefanj
09-21-2017, 01:00 PM
The Cobra's fins are so great - looking. Like they're the legs of an animal that just took a might leap into the air.

Thanks for the inside look . . .

pterodactyl
09-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Farside K-12 1964: If two stages are good, three are better. I wanted to build a model for maximum altitude, but large enough to be visible at the top of its trajectory.

Farside X K-12X 1964: If you're going to launch a tarantula, you need a larger payload compartment. "Smile little 8-legged fuzz ball; you are going where no spider has gone before."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRDS1tVAAAjjme.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRESinUQAAzXTf.jpg

pterodactyl
09-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Meet Bill Simon at the Museum of Flight Saturday, September 23. Doors open at 10 am.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKRvrJHV4AAzJJy.jpg:large

Bill says.......

L-R

Delta K-16 1965: "Launch vehicle for the Camroc; over-size fins to compensate for the relatively high-drag payload."

Little Joe II K-30 1968: "Interest in the Apollo program was heating up, so this was an ideal scale model to offer our rocketeers. It had large enough fins that no special provisions for stability were needed."

Avenger K-38 1968: "I just had to do it . . . . Long models tend to have much better stability, and are easier to see (and recover)."

SPEV K-59 1969: "We had an accumulation of parts in the warehouse that weren't being used. Either the kit that they were intended for had been discontinued, or some items had been over-ordered when the warehouseman thought the shelf was too empty. I gathered the various items on my desk and set out to find a rational way to combine them into a model. My recollection is that we just offered this in the MRN, and once the inventory situation was taken care of, forgot the design--until years later when Carl at Semroc dusted it off and offered a clone. If the Alpha is my favorite child, this is the kid you try to keep under the stairs."

Alpha K-25 1965: "Vern had been after me for quite some time to produce a new beginner's model. I built the first one in my spare time at home, and then went to work at writing instructions that would be perfectly clear to the beginning builder. I still like the looks of this model."

(Note: These models are not part of the National Collection)

Jerry Irvine
09-21-2017, 04:48 PM
SPEV K-59 1969: "We had an accumulation of parts in the warehouse that weren't being used. Either the kit that they were intended for had been discontinued, or some items had been over-ordered when the warehouseman thought the shelf was too empty. I gathered the various items on my desk and set out to find a rational way to combine them into a model. My recollection is that we just offered this in the MRN, and once the inventory situation was taken care of, forgot the design--until years later when Carl at Semroc dusted it off and offered a clone. If the Alpha is my favorite child, this is the kid you try to keep under the stairs."
I just find it amusing the SPEV (deprecated parts rocket) is so popular and all these years later is loved.

I resemble that remark.

The fact it has a literal name appeals to me.

BEC
09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Pat, is that your Alpha in post 120? It's an interesting mixture of time periods - it has a post 2011 motor mount arrangement but is painted in early 1970s livery. It does look like you have either a balsa or first-version plastic nose cone though. Balsa would match the paint scheme.

(This whole Alpha 50th project has turned me into an Alpha history geek....!)

pterodactyl
09-21-2017, 05:36 PM
It's a modern Alpha with a Semroc clone balsa nosecone. I probably should have stuck with a vintage engine hook for the right look!

BEC
09-21-2017, 05:38 PM
That, and have the end of the motor mount flush with the aft end of the main body....that's really what I was picking up on. :)

The Semroc BNC-50K has a slightly less well-defined point than a real BNC-50K from an old kit, but it's much closer to the right look than the blow-molded cone that comes in the kits since 1993.....

Semroc sells serviceable versions of the old-style hooks.

pterodactyl
09-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Perhaps no other scale model rocket is more closely associated with G. Harry Stine than the Tomahawk sounding rocket. His interest in the vehicle dates back over a half century to the mid 1960's during his time in New Canaan, CT.
The scale data Stine assembled (still preserved in the as yet unprocessed archival portion of his collection) spawned a series of commercial model rocket kits by a wide variety of manufacturers, some of which are still in production to this day. Not surprisingly many of these kits were designed by Stine himself.
The ubiquitous nature of the rocket is revealed in an informal inventory of the Stine Collection which contains over 10 different built examples of the round. Over the next few weeks we'll examine some of these models and their lineage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKqeMmrUMAAoDQA.jpg:large

pterodactyl
09-29-2017, 03:21 PM
Over 50 years ago G. Harry Stine began to popularize the IQSY Tomahawk as an ideal beginner scale model rocket. We can’t say with certainty why he selected that particular rocket for his attention out of all the other sounding rocket options available. In the fullness of time a thorough review of his papers may eventually reveal the specific answer to that question, but it’s likely a combination of the following factors.

The IQSY Tomahawk is an easy beginner model, allowing ease of construction through the use of pre-manufactured parts. Through industry connections he was able to obtain voluminous scale data and photography to support accurate scale substantiation and construction by modelers. The vehicle and its scale model were aerodynamically stable relieving the builder of any additional measures to ensure stable flight. Stine was sufficiently enamored of the design to write in the Fourth Edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry Stine that the rocket was “the beginner’s best introduction to scale modeling”.

G. Harry Stine inked this blueprint of an IQSY Tomahawk in 1969. It appeared in the June issue of Model Rocketry.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6fAxsVYAAXh6N.jpg:large

The scale Tomahawk also supported Stine’s goal to increase the number and quality of scale modelers in model rocketry. It also supported his personal interest in promoting NAR scale competition events such as Super Scale and Space Systems.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6sz8AUMAA-fMq.jpg:large

Stine encouraged his NAR Section in New Canaan, Connecticut to build and fly the model in local competitions. This photograph from Model Rocketry magazine shows entrants in just such a regional scale competition.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6foRmUIAAwAO9.jpg:large

Stine would also partner with Centuri Engineering to create the first of what would become a half century of commercially available IQSY Tomahawk kits. Many manufacturers would produce the kit including some, such as the Aerotech Tomahawk, are still in production today. Stine produced a series of prototypes from various commercially available parts as a means to research which size would be most desirable for commercial production.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6hJXpU8AAQPT6.jpg:large

This image show’s Stine’s final Centuri kit prototype which ironically sports an Estes "pre-zip code" parachute.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6lLEGU8AAosmZ.jpg

The Centuri KC-40 kit is shown with its initial catalog entry in the 1969 catalog.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DK6kChRUEAA0soG.jpg

As James Duffy points out in his excellent presentation at NARCON 2016, the kit did not quite live up to Stine’s expectations. The presentation begins at the 29:00 minute mark, but if you have an interest in Stine’s career you will enjoy the entire presentation.

James Duffy Stine History NARCON 2016 Presentation (https://youtu.be/ofqk-Bw45zc)

The Aerotech IQSY Tomahawk is available from Apogee Rockets and other dealers to this day.

https://www.apogeerockets.com/bmz_cache/5/5e5e15bc1de306074fe9c0182113a314.image.320x328.jpg

BEC
09-29-2017, 05:15 PM
I enjoyed the presentation and learned quite a bit.

Of course the “Dead Sea Scrolls” that he refers to are in the MoF collection now. Mr. Duffy several times recommended going to the Quest site to read those letters. They’re not there anymore since the Aerotech merger (or perhaps before) but they ARE available thanks to the Internet Archive. For example here: https://web.archive.org/web/20141107224904/http://www.questaerospace.com/q-museum.htm

Royatl
10-02-2017, 03:09 PM
I enjoyed the presentation and learned quite a bit.

Of course the “Dead Sea Scrolls” that he refers to are in the MoF collection now. Mr. Duffy several times recommended going to the Quest site to read those letters. They’re not there anymore since the Aerotech merger (or perhaps before) but they ARE available thanks to the Internet Archive. For example here: https://web.archive.org/web/20141107224904/http://www.questaerospace.com/q-museum.htm

And they are at: https://www.soarrocketry.org/genesis-model-rocketry-1957/

pterodactyl
10-04-2017, 11:08 AM
The original "Sputnik Moment" happened 60 years ago today leading to a cascading series of events that reshaped society and created the circumstances that led to disparate events such as the first steps on Luna and even this website.

G. Harry Stine gets fired from Martin Corporation due to a blunt comment to a reporter about the Sputnik launch. The reporter tracked down Stine through his authorship of "Earth Satellites".

Stine wrote this book months BEFORE the Sputnik launch.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51k2fB-Hu8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stine needed a job. Due to a series of fortuitous interactions with model rocketry inventor Orville Carisle model rocketry Model Missiles Incorporated was founded.

A dozen years later this 1/100 scale Sputnik launch vehicle was created by Stine for MPC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLThoLwVoAUOjZL.jpg:large

Jerry Irvine
10-04-2017, 01:09 PM
Over 50 years ago G. Harry Stine began to popularize the IQSY Tomahawk as an ideal beginner scale model rocket. We can’t say with certainty why he selected that particular rocket for his attention out of all the other sounding rocket options available. In the fullness of time a thorough review of his papers may eventually reveal the specific answer to that question, but it’s likely a combination of the following factors. The Thiokol 9" x 141" TE-416 motor has since been built full size by me:

http://v-serv.com/usr/motors/229mm.9inch.jpg

pterodactyl
10-07-2017, 06:56 PM
In the first weeks after Sputnik the West began to respond. Everything was under examination, from the perceived inadequacy of our rocket technology to fears of sub standard science education standards for youth.

As Sputnik silently crossed America this magazine was on thousands of magazine racks below.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLkctpoUMAEmFmm.jpg

Inside the magazine was an article by G. Harry Stine that would introduce Orville Carlisle and model rocketry to the world. Mr. Stine had an impeccable sense of timing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLkpMgzVoAAHIO3.jpg

Millions of dollars were poured into upgrading science education in the United States and Canada. The N.A.C.A. suddenly found itself obsolete and was soon replaced by NASA. Billions of dollars of defense contracts were signed to accelerate rocket development budgets.

Along with the increased awareness of space and rocketry came home rocketry experimentation and the "Youth Rocketry Problem" otherwise known as the rise of the "Basement Bomber". Thankfully a quiet shoe salesman from Norfolk, Nebraska would come to the rescue with his invention of a safe and reliable motor technology. His invention would save untold thousands from injury and even death.

Here we see a somewhat shelfworn example of a Carlisle Mark II from the Stine Collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLkq9ueUMAAAECB.jpg:large

Orville Carlisle perfected reusable rocket technology long before Space X.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLkrlq_U8AAvOc-.jpg

Jerry Irvine
10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
The ignition method is a punk for the fuse.

cite:
http://v-serv.com/usr/images/rocket.pinup.jpg

Rock-a-Chute safety code 1957

http://v-serv.com/usr/images/1stSafetyCode.jpg

pterodactyl
10-24-2017, 04:15 PM
Sputnik 1 created a problem for G. Harry Stine; he no longer had a job. As the author of Earth Satellites and the Race for Space Superiority he was one of the first people asked for reaction to the Sputnik news. His answer to a reporter was a paraphrase of what had been written in his book months before. Nonetheless his words got him canned by Martin Corporation.

Despite outrage and appeals on his behalf from his friend and mentor Robert Henlein, Stine still lacked a paycheck. With increased urgency he began to put the finishing touches on a project that had been brewing in background; creation of Model Missiles Incorporated.

Deep within inner realm of The Museum of Flight lies a dusty and somewhat mysterious crate. It could be easily overlooked by a casual observer. It's open wooden lathwork sides reveal a hidden treasure, obscured by over a half century of dust, a holy relic for both a hobby and a rocketry association on the cusp of it's 60th birthday.

When will it see the light of day?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DM7koCwUIAAUuad.jpg

JohnNGA
10-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Open the crate!!

Faithwalker
10-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Look's like Rocket Doctor's dream is finally coming true:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5140

I hope the Seattle Museum of Flight will be able to display these rare unique items for all to see.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Faithwalker
10-25-2017, 01:16 AM
Quest has a photo on their Model Rocket Museum Photo Library archive site of the Model Missiles, Inc. booth being set up at the 1958 Chicago Hobby Show:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305184309/http://www.questaerospace.com/q_museumgallery.htm

Quest link for additional G. Harry Stine history:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305184309/http://www.questaerospace.com/q-museum.htm

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

Faithwalker
10-25-2017, 01:50 AM
FYI. James Duffy (Rocket.aero) made a nice tribute video to G. Harry Stine commemorating several of his accomplishments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmpnknOOlc&t

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR

pterodactyl
11-05-2017, 01:32 PM
You'll be seeing more of this Project Apollo inspired logo very soon! Can anybody find the hidden symbology?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN5FAomVAAAcOqa.jpg

Art by Dave Ginsberg of Planet Pixel Pictures http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/about/about.htm

Royatl
11-05-2017, 03:05 PM
You'll be seeing more of this Project Apollo inspired logo very soon! Can anybody find the hidden symbology?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DN5FAomVAAAcOqa.jpg

Art by Dave Ginsberg of Planet Pixel Pictures http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/about/about.htm

Sorry, but I really don't like "patch" inspired logos, unless they really are going to be only patches.

The NAR logo is fine as it is. Though, I've always preferred the gold finned version of the 60's/early 70's (see attached file). The version we've had since the mid 70's always looked clunkier, but probably saved spot ink costs and registration errors. Having the name spelled out, with 'Pay Forward' as the motto is nice.

As for symbology, the only things I can see are four stars and eight planets, or could be 12 stars. At first thought, it doesn't seem fit into any tribute that I can see other than the 12 who walked on the moon. The Bahamas seem to have gotten huge, along with the polar ice cap!

There's a path to the moon (one way, it seems). Is this meant to connect us to the 50th anniversary of the moon flights?

Rocketflyer
11-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Sorry, but I really don't like "patch" inspired logos, unless they really are going to be only patches.

The NAR logo is fine as it is. Though, I've always preferred the gold finned version of the 60's/early 70's (see attached file). The version we've had since the mid 70's always looked clunkier, but probably saved spot ink costs and registration errors. Having the name spelled out, with 'Pay Forward' as the motto is nice.

As for symbology, the only things I can see are four stars and eight planets, or could be 12 stars. At first thought, it doesn't seem fit into any tribute that I can see other than the 12 who walked on the moon. The Bahamas seem to have gotten huge, along with the polar ice cap!

There's a path to the moon (one way, it seems). Is this meant to connect us to the 50th anniversary of the moon flights?

I agree with much of what you say here, Roy. I would like to see the old gold NAR patch come back, as well as a "Special Edition" NAR Nozzle patch. Limited edition sales to raise some money would be cool. I'd sure buy a couple!

kevinj
11-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Well... the orbits make up the numbers "6" and "0", so is there a certain 60th anniversary that has to do with the NAR that is coming up?

kj

Royatl
11-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Well... the orbits make up the numbers "6" and "0", so is there a certain 60th anniversary that has to do with the NAR that is coming up?

kj

Well, I can see it, sorta, only because you mentioned it, but even then, it doens't jump out at me. And before, I looked at the orbits all sorts of ways, and didn't get "60" out of it.

If the earth orbit was in the same plane as the moon orbit, and the earth were lower, that might help, but then there's no way to put the NAR logo without looking awkward.

jetlag
11-06-2017, 04:20 PM
The NAR logo is just too large; it looks ridiculous.

Allen

Royatl
11-06-2017, 05:54 PM
The NAR logo is just too large; it looks ridiculous.

Allen

No, I get the relative sizes of the circle and the triangle. And I'm warming up to the idea that it's a 60th anniversary patch. I.e. not a permanent change. However, if kevinj's right about the '6' and the '0', it doesn't work at all for me.

kevinj
11-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Yeah it's subtle. Definitely playing on the Apollo 8 mission patch, and relies on drawing the eyeline from lower left to upper right by the NAR logo.

kj

Gus
11-07-2017, 08:00 PM
I got the homage to the Apollo 8 patch, but this one looks like a liftoff from Kazakhstan, single orbit then a one way trip to a landing on the dark side of the moon. :eek:

Jerry Irvine
11-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Pat -- Sorry if my posts are a diversion form the topic. Looking forward to your next post on MOF collection. Enjoying seeing all of the historic items in the collection. -- VernLike!

Jerry Irvine
11-07-2017, 09:55 PM
The pay forward thing was championed by a guy named Mark Bundick.

GuyNoir
11-09-2017, 09:08 PM
The pay forward thing was championed by a guy named Mark Bundick.

Actually, I was just repeating what Harry always told me. Seemed like a good principal then, and I think it still is today.

Royatl
11-09-2017, 09:49 PM
Actually, I was just repeating what Harry always told me. Seemed like a good principal then, and I think it still is today.

And didn't G. Harry get it from Heinlein?

pterodactyl
11-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Roy,

The wikipedia entry for "pay it forward" has a lot of good background, the term predates Heinlein according to that reference.

pterodactyl
11-16-2017, 01:10 PM
If you have read the Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry you'll know that the NAR has launched a campaign to raise money to accelerate the processing and accessibility of the G. Harry Stine Collection at The Museum of Flight. This potentially could benefit everyone on this forum who ever wanted to see what treasures resided inside the almost mythical "Stine Archive".

"Pay Forward Proud" Model Rocket History Preservation Campaign (http://www.nar.org/donate/)

In addition to the warm satisfying glow you'll receive from supporting your hobby and joining the "Pay Forward Proud" fraternity every donor will receive a "Pay Foward" NAR pin which you can show off to your friends, neighbors and rocket buddies. It will feature the logo some of you like so much. (not you Roy....lol)

A donation will also gain you the exclusive ability to purchase some pretty cool canvas reproductions of vintage model rocketry prints from the Golden Age of the hobby done by NAR vendor "Stretch and Staple" (https://www.stretchandstaple.com/)

This rare vintage Centuri poster was scanned by Lee Piester's daughter to support this campaign. This could be your living room!

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/c7c9b8_9245343b8c9342e0a03897ca7fb161de~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_202,h_420,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/c7c9b8_9245343b8c9342e0a03897ca7fb161de~mv2.jpg https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOxqdbiUMAApAZr.jpg

The NAR is hoping to raise 25K by July of next year to permit that effort to begin. More information is available at:

"Pay Forward Proud" Model Rocket History Preservation Campaign (http://www.nar.org/donate/)

Royatl
11-16-2017, 01:20 PM
In addition to the warm satisfying glow you'll receive from supporting your hobby and joining the "Pay Forward Proud" fraternity every donor will receive a "Pay Foward" NAR pin which you can show off to your friends, neighbors and rocket buddies. It will feature the logo some of you like so much. (not you Roy....lol)

OK, OK, OK!!! :chuckle: I was just afraid that was going to replace the NAR logo. As a PIN it is fine and I will be proud to wear it (see upcoming PM about something you might be interested in)!

stefanj
11-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Great poster!

I'm going to have to check the finances.

astronwolf
11-17-2017, 10:53 AM

The NAR is hoping to raise 25K by July of next year to permit that effort to begin. More information is available at:

The link leads me to this sentence:

"With each donation you will be granted exclusive access to an increasing level of content based on your donation level."

So.... what level of donation grants me exclusive access to... what... exactly?
-W

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 11:02 AM
The link leads me to this sentence:

"With each donation you will be granted exclusive access to an increasing level of content based on your donation level."

So.... what level of donation grants me exclusive access to... what... exactly?
-W

Wolf,

Head back to the nar.org/donate page and click on the "Preview Gallery" link, or go to Preview Gallery (http://www.nar.org/donate/pay-forward-proud-preview-gallery-its-as-easy-as-3-2-1-0/) . That will give you a bit of a preview.

I am working on enhancing that preview function, it's admittedly too thin now. It's something the vendor was expected to do, but he's doing this work largely out of good will for the NAR so I didn't want to lean on him too much.

In the meantime, check my next post!

Pat

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Over the next few days I'm to post some of my favorite poster images available in the "Pay Forward Proud" campaign: More Information! (http://www.nar.org/donate/)

Here's a cool image of Vern Estes and Bill Simon taken back in the late 1960's with prototypes of the Sandhawk and Interceptor. Rendered in black and white to enhance that retro feel, can you imagine how cool a canvas would look signed in silver ink by those guys?

The Old Rocketeer Reunion is coming next summer......(just sayin.....)!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO2WcbHVwAEHXbT.jpg

astronwolf
11-17-2017, 11:54 AM
I am working on enhancing that preview function, it's admittedly too thin now. It's something the vendor was expected to do, but he's doing this work largely out of good will for the NAR so I didn't want to lean on him too much.

Just a narrative description of what the donor levels are would suffice. You imply that there is a tiered donor level, i.e. if you give $100 you get this, but if you donate $1000 you get the big prize. Just wondering what that was. I'll donate just to support this project. The pin and the perks are nice, but aren't very important to me.
-W

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Just a narrative description of what the donor levels are would suffice. You imply that there is a tiered donor level, i.e. if you give $100 you get this, but if you donate $1000 you get the big prize. Just wondering what that was. I'll donate just to support this project. The pin and the perks are nice, but aren't very important to me.
-W

Wolf,

Purchasing a print is optional with a donation. You can donate and all you'll get is a cool pin. Pins don't take up much wall space either. All the donation money (minus small Paypal fees) goes to the NAR Historical Preservation Fund.

Generally the bigger the donation the wider the print purchase options.

Pat

astronwolf
11-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Generally the bigger the donation the wider the print purchase options.

And you aren't yet ready to tell us what those wider options are. I get it. I still think this is a great way to stimulate fund raising at the levels needed for this project.
-W

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 02:21 PM
And you aren't yet ready to tell us what those wider options are.
-W

Tell me what NAR donation level you're interested in and I'll accelerate that print preview for you. This is mitigation for the vendor web design which is obviously lacking in that regard. The shortfall will be fixed as soon as possible.

Keep in mind that the NAR Donation and the print purchase are two different transactions.
The print portion is a simple retail transaction

Details here: Post NAR Donation Prints Available for Purchase (http://www.nar.org/donate/pay-forward-proud-preview-gallery-its-as-easy-as-3-2-1-0/)

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 02:54 PM
It's as easy as, "3, 2, 1, 0"! (http://www.nar.org/donate/pay-forward-proud-preview-gallery-its-as-easy-as-3-2-1-0/)

3….. Make a “Pay Forward Proud” Donation to the NAR History Fund (100% to NAR, less Paypal fees*) All donors will receive a NAR “Pay Forward” souvenir pin.

2….. If you desire, select a print for purchase from Stretch and Staple. Bigger donations get bigger selection of classic prints for purchase.

1…… Purchase from Stretch and Staple (separate retail transaction)

0…….Launch your rocket room!

Print Purchase Options at the Base Donation Level of $25.00

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO2WcbHVwAEHXbT.jpg

Vern Estes (L) and Bill Simon examine prototypes of the Estes Sandhawk and Interceptor kits in this Estes PR shot from the late 1960's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO3LUEiVwAAcSsP.jpg

Shady Side Academy Rocketry Club, Pittsburgh PA in January 1965. A Space Age view of rocketry enthusiasts from over a half century ago selected by our vendor for its period charm.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO3LwNYU8AAETza.jpg

The "Pay Forward" campaign logo is available on canvas as well as a souvenir pin for all donors.

**PayPal offers discounted transaction rates for 501(c)(3) charities for most products, and consistently low rates for all other nonprofits. No extra fees for setup, statements, withdrawals or cancellation. 2.2% +$0.30 per transaction and no monthly fee for charities.

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 07:08 PM
It's as easy as, "3, 2, 1, 0"! (http://www.nar.org/donate/pay-forward-proud-preview-gallery-its-as-easy-as-3-2-1-0/)

3….. Make a “Pay Forward Proud” Donation to the NAR History Fund (100% to NAR, less Paypal fees*) All donors will receive a NAR “Pay Forward” souvenir pin.

2….. If you desire, select a print for purchase from Stretch and Staple. Bigger donations get bigger selection of classic prints for purchase.

Additional Print Purchase Options at the Atlas Donation Level of $100.00

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4C7gZVoAEdoF5.jpg

G. Harry Stine (R) at the world model rocket championships in Dubnica, Czechoslovakia in 1966, with Jim Kukowski lurking at his four o'clock position.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4BlfPU8AAeSzJ.jpg

The mid-century/space age feel of this image grabs the attention of even non-rocket people who see it for the first time. The exhibit developers at The Museum of Flight knew the image would be part of the exhibit as soon as they found it. Freudian influences aside it nicely captures the timeless enthusiasm that rockets and space exploration evoke in people of all ages. It's made even more significant by the career of the gentleman on the right who many will recognize as Jay Apt.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4CwzOV4AAyYG1.jpg

Another image selected by the vendor for its composition and artistic merits. An MMI kit sitting in the grass; maybe there's an art major out there who can help me out.

**PayPal offers discounted transaction rates for 501(c)(3) charities for most products, and consistently low rates for all other nonprofits. No extra fees for setup, statements, withdrawals or cancellation. 2.2% +$0.30 per transaction and no monthly fee for charities.

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 07:58 PM

Additional Print Purchase Option at the Titan Donation Level of $250.00

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4JZnEUMAAMQWZ.jpg

This image was taken from an original Model Missiles hobby shop poster not widely available to the public. Likely one of the first examples that existed in the sixty year history of the hobby. Again the artistic merits of this image saw it selected to be part of the G. Harry Stine exhibit at The Museum of Flight.

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Additional Print Purchase Option at the Saturn Donation Level of $500.00

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4KXudVoAEZqwD.jpg

This image was taken from an Estes hobby shop poster and is based on the cover of the 1971 Estes catalog cover. The iconic Interceptor kit is shown against the backdrop of a solar eclipse seen from Apollo 12 on its way back from the moon 48 years ago this month. This was the first solar eclipse witnessed by humans that had the earth as the intervening celestial body.

pterodactyl
11-17-2017, 09:04 PM

Additional Additional Print Purchase Options after the Nova Donation Level of 1000.00

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4des2U8AAvVfZ.jpg

This exceptionally rare mid 1960's Centuri poster is seldom seen. The image was taken from Lee Piester's personal copy.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4hFA4UMAA1Vra.jpg

If you walked into a hobby shop in 1971 you might have seen this poster introducing the Mini Brute line of mini engine powered rockets!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4cmvwVoAA5HUZ.jpg

A canvas print of this beauty would look great in your rocket room; in the 1969 Estes catalog they sold for 75 cents. The guy in the picture is now likely eligible for Social Security!

Royatl
11-18-2017, 06:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO4hFA4UMAA1Vra.jpg

If you walked into a hobby shop in 1970 you might have seen this poster introducing the Mini Brute line of mini engine powered rockets!

Late Summer 1971 (they introduced them at NARAM 13).

Roy, just bein' picky.

Ok, I can be more picky and say that they flew some at the Pittsburgh convention and other east coast model rocket events, but I think the first time they were available to the general public was at NARAM 13.

pterodactyl
11-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Good catch; I'll fix it!

pterodactyl
11-22-2017, 08:54 PM
http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/2d/_images/NAR-Pay-Forward-2017_PUBLISH_close-crop_400x400_transparent.png

Dave Ginsberg, the artist who created NAR's Pay Forward logo, has created a page on his Pixel Planet Pictures (http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/index.htm) website which tells the story behind the image.

The Untold Story of NAR's Pay Forward Logo! (http://pixel-planet-pictures.com/2d/nar-pay-forward-logo.htm)

BEC
11-23-2017, 12:47 AM
I had a hunch Ginsberg was more than just a software guy (that’s the role he played in my group at Boeing). Fun stuff.

pterodactyl
11-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Today is Giving Tuesday! If you're so inclined head over to nar.org/donate and make yourself "Pay Forward Proud". Every donor will receive a beautiful pin featuring the Pay Forward NAR logo! You'll also qualify to purchase some vintage rocketry prints from Stretch and Staple, NAR's vendor partner.

Go to nar.org/donate to Pay Forward! (http://www.nar.org/donate)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPSQJo7UEAAWdkB.jpg

Rocketflyer
11-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Today is Giving Tuesday! If you're so inclined head over to nar.org/donate and make yourself "Pay Forward Proud". Every donor will receive a beautiful pin featuring the Pay Forward NAR logo! You'll also qualify to purchase some vintage rocketry prints from Stretch and Staple, NAR's vendor partner.

Go to nar.org/donate to Pay Forward! (http://www.nar.org/donate)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPSQJo7UEAAWdkB.jpg

Done. :)

pterodactyl
11-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Thank you to you and to all the other members who have stepped up to the plate today! If every NAR member donated the equivalent of a Starbucks coffee we would meet the goal. (I sound like the Wikipedia guy!)

BEC
11-28-2017, 01:03 PM
(I sound like the Wikipedia guy!)

Yes, Pat, yes you do :)

pterodactyl
11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
NAR members may have noticed a set of plans included with the center page of their Nov/Dec issue. It was drawn by G. Harry Stine and was one of the first scale rockets put to paper for members of the young National Association of Rocketry.

His selection of this rocket as a scale model was no accident. G. Harry Stine's career in aerospace started at White Sands Proving Ground (as it was then known) in the early 1950's and a large number of Viking test flights took place during his tenure. We expect to find many images and files relevant to this rocket when the collection is fully cataloged.

Wikipedia has a good entry on the Viking here. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_(rocket))

The Stine Collection has a nice example of a Viking model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP5CrolV4AE5zPV.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP5DM2TV4AADbCP.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP5DaEgVwAUYeim.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP5DghMU8AAu1lI.jpg

These images leave a bit to be desired and the model will be reshot in the fullness of time. It is a BT-20 designed for 18mm motors to give you a size reference.

pterodactyl
12-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Many of us of a certain generation remember the Aurora brand of hobby products. They produced a wide variety of hobby products from plastic model kits to HO scale slot racing products. While their HO slot car products dominated that realm the quality of their plastic model kits were found wanting compared to those offered by Revell and Monogram.

Aurora produced a good number of plastic model of missiles and rockets none were ever specifically designed as model rockets. Over 50 years ago G. Harry Stine attempted to change that trend with his prototype of an all plastic rocket that was demonstrated to Aurora Plastics executives at Waveny Park, just a short distance from his home in New Canaan, CT.

Stine machined the nosecone out of solid acrylic. How many modeler today could do that?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQtoOKkV4AA5kZ8.jpg:large

The model bears a strong resemblance to several rockets which have appeared over the years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQtp1ZTUIAAZHKk.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQtqAyuVoAA4A02.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQtqJVUUQAAMIL8.jpg

pterodactyl
12-14-2017, 02:25 PM
G. Harry Stine knew how to have fun and his whimsical sense of humor would manifest itself in various ways. Rudolf is a good example of that side of his personality.

Hard to say when Rudolf was built since the model uses a variety of parts spanning a couple of decades.

Here's one thing I can say with certainty:

Happy Holidays Everybody!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRCHSwEVwAAa--O.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRCHch0UMAAXF6H.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRCHg2-UEAA1T5f.jpg

pterodactyl
12-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Here is an MPC offering which could qualify as the first RTF model rocket ever widely available to the public.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR_4FwyVAAACtvz.jpg:large

pterodactyl
12-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Here are some of the models we'll feature in these spaces in 2018:

The unboxing of a timeless classic.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR_4rw8V4AANTuR.jpg:large

One of the oldest scale models in the G. Harry Stine Collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR_5jwLUQAA2gKe.jpg

A beat-up little old glider with an interesting back story.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR_8TD9VoAANLR_.jpg:large

astronwolf
12-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Anyone else not seeing the inline images in the recent posts?

stefanj
12-27-2017, 07:31 AM
I had, but never "assembled" or flew, a Yankee 1.

It had one of those yellow plastic T-25 cones with the ridges and removeable T5 cap. (The cone could be used as a T25-T5 coupler of sorts.) See a picture of the Martian Patrol to see what the cone looked like.

The American Flyer models had a replacable liner tube; a length of T20 with punch holes to lock it in place. I don't recall if the company sold replacement liners.

The series "reusable wadding" was a red plastic plug that slid loosely along the liner. I don't recall the attachement details. An image of the instructions would be revealing.

hcmbanjo
12-27-2017, 09:03 AM
I had, but never "assembled" or flew, a Yankee 1.
It had one of those yellow plastic T-25 cones with the ridges and removeable T5 cap. (The cone could be used as a T25-T5 coupler of sorts.) See a picture of the Martian Patrol to see what the cone looked like.
The American Flyer models had a replacable liner tube; a length of T20 with punch holes to lock it in place. I don't recall if the company sold replacement liners.
The series "reusable wadding" was a red plastic plug that slid loosely along the liner. I don't recall the attachement details. An image of the instructions would be revealing.

Here's the instructions from oldrocketplans.com:
http://oldrocketplans.com/mpc/mpcR-300/R-300.pdf

Initiator001
12-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Here is an MPC offering which could qualify as the first RTF model rocket ever widely available to the public.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DR_4FwyVAAACtvz.jpg:large

I bought four of those Yankee-1 models at a hobby shop which 'suddenly' had a large selection of MPC products in the late 1980s.

I noticed that with many of the Yankee-1 models at the hobby shop the nose cone had fallen off down into the bottom of the box. Most the boxes had some water damage.

At the time Scott Pearce and I had been working to create some 18mm 'E' and 'F' motors (Scott did the development and design work. I was just the 'assistant' ).

This resulted in the E45 and F55 motors.

LDRS-8 was coming up in Hartsel, Colorado.
I decided to demo fly the E45 and F55 motors there.

What rocket to use?

I opened one of the MPC Yankee-1 model boxes and prepared the model for use.
I removed the two motor hooks so I could use longer motors in the model.

At LDRS-8, I flew the Yankee-1 first with the E45 motor. That was a fast flight and the ejection broke the round elastic shock cord. I located all the parts and decided to use the F55 motor later in the launch.

A few days later the Yankee-1 was loaded with the F55 motor. The motor ignited and disappeared. I had no idea where it went.

A little searching found the sustainer. Three of the four fins had come off in flight at some point and the nose cone with parachute were gone and not found.

After videotaping the model post-landing I tossed the model in the trash.

Hmmm, I still have three more Yankee-1 models here somewhere...

pterodactyl
01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
For almost as long as the NAR has existed the organization has promoted scale modeling by distributing plans of various full scale rockets. This practice continues to this day with NAR Technical Services or NARTS distributing plans via CD to interested modelers. The promotion of scale modeling reflected the wishes of G. Harry Stine who felt that scale was an important way to differentiate model rocketry from fireworks and the basement bombers that were the antithesis of the "safe, scientific, space-age hobby" image that the hobby's leaders wanted to convey.

In 1961 G. Harry Stine fired up his Leroy Lettering set and inked this plan to the Astrobee 1500 sounding rocket, which is still available from NARTS. The -1500 is an interesting looking rocket with unusual lines which render it a challenge to the casual modeler. This is not your usual 4FNC model.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNPbUiVoAAcJq6.jpg

The release of this plan did NOT lead to a flood of scale model rockets. There have been few of these models built either from scratch or released by model rocket companies (more on that later). Not surprisingly the first flying model rocket example of the Astrobee 1500 was probably built by G. Harry Stine himself even before the first flight of the real bird in 1962. Here's the model in the Stine Collection at The Museum of Flight.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNGMUaVwAAWrXH.jpg:large

Some 'googling' revealed that none other than FAI scale medalist Marc McReynolds had designed an Astrobee 1500 kit that was to be released by Enertek in 1988. Enertek Catalog (http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/enertek891/89enertek4.html)

Alas t'was not to be, but Marc did offer the following about Stine's model via email:

"My connection to the Astrobee 1500 actually dates to 1969, when I entered one for Scale Altitude at NARAM-11. That model was based on the Stine/NARTS drawing you referenced. My subsequent models, such as the 1988 Enertek one, used data first published in a 1969 issue of Model Rocketry magazine.

One difference between the Stine/NARTS drawing and later, more detailed drawings is the method of attachment shown for the two strap-on rocket motors. A simple cylindrical sleeve in the earlier drawing, vs a series of clamping bands on the as-flown vehicles and in later drawings.

Aside: A vehicle apparently derived from the Astrobee 1500 design, called Strypi, did use sleeves.

The sleeve/band discrepancy, along with the 1960 date, suggests to me that the Stine drawing was based on preliminary information as the vehicle was being developed -- prior to first flight and maybe even prior to the prototype's completion.

[The museum model's other noticeable deviation from any of the drawings is the non-conical SRM nose, with its tip right up against the body. However, I'm guessing the modeler simply wanted to ease construction. A proper "tube + cone, not touching the body" would have taken somewhat longer than what was done here. So probably not an indication of some different/earlier data source.]

Perhaps the most telling indication of the model's vintage is the choice for the marking.

I haven't seen this sort of marking on any of the handful of Astrobee 1500's which were flown (I've seen photos of about half of them). It is, however, the same marking style which was used for Aerojet's preceding vehicle, the Astrobee 500:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNINwJVQAAyDOo.jpg

Likewise, the 1500 museum model's silver fin, silver fin can cylinder, silver SRM sleeve and silver cylinder below the nose were also not found on any flown vehicles as far as I know.

Conclusions: Based on the model's inaccuracies, it was likely built based on data which pre-dated the actual vehicle. Whomever built it was likely connected to either Aerojet General or White Sands, since the Astrobee 500's logo would not have been known to most modelers (At the time Marc wrote this we hadn't found the photo with the NAR-2, identifying it as Stine's model- Thank you Marc! ).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTNIDZ-VAAApzG1.jpg

Many years later Peter Alway wisely noted the market void for Astrobee 1500 models and produced this kit under his Saturn Press kit line. Here's a sales page from Uncle Mike's (sorry team the kit appears to be sold out/out of production):

http://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/sitebuilder/images/astrobee1500-195x375.jpg

The kit description goes on to say the following:

Astrobee 1500

• 1/19 scale model of the Astrobee 1500 research rocket
• Flies on Estes B6-4, C6-5, C11-5, and D12-7 engines (smaller engines require an adapter
that can be made from an expended D engine)
• 21 3/4" tall
• 1.637" in diameter
• Advanced construction including over 40 laser-cut parts, built-up, through-the-wall-to-
engine-mount fins, scale booster brackets with tab-and-slot assembly
• Parachute recovery
• Kit designed by Rockets of the World author Peter Alway
Aerojet General was famous for building the Aerobee sounding (research) rockets starting in the
1940’s. This spin-off of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory turned to solid-fueled rockets in the 1950’
s. It called these its Astrobee sounding rockets.The largest of the Astrobees was the Astrobee
1500, a two-stage rocket designed to carry 75 lb to 1500 miles. The first stage was Aerojet’s
version of the Sergeant motor, called the Aerojet Junior. Two small Recruit motors gave the
vehicle an extra kick at launch. These boosters remained attached to the first stage after burnout.
The long, clamshell nose of the Astrobee 1500 concealed a spin-stabilized upper stage. Two metal
bands, Marmon clamps, held the nose together during boost.The US Air Force launched the first
Astrobee 1500’s from the Pacific Missile Range in 1961. The first flight failed, but the second, on
December 8, launched explosive flares that allowed trackers to survey a more accurate distance
from California to Hawaii.NASA flew its first Astrobee 1500 from Wallops Island, Virginia, on
April 8, 1963. This rocket broke up at an altitude of 47 miles. The second NASA Astrobee 1500,
flight 16.02 GT, fared better, reaching 1182 miles above the Atlantic Ocean on October 21, 1964.
This kit’s painting instructions represent that flight. NASA flew four more Astrobee 1500’s
through 1969. The last flight successfully tested a receiver for the Explorer 38 radio astronomy
satellite.

It's too bad that this model isn't available today as a kit (yes I am too lazy to scratch build one). Its unique lines, rich history, and these images of Stine's model from almost 60 years ago really make me want to get my mitts on one.

pterodactyl
01-26-2018, 11:21 AM
Sixty years ago right now these people were busy (very busy) getting ready for separate events that are inextricably linked. In a few days you'll find out what happened and you might even see an object that hasn't been seen by anybody in 60 years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUe2iFHU8AA0SG9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUe2lZlVMAA_r-z.jpg

mojo1986
01-26-2018, 02:18 PM
The Peter Alway kit of the Aerobee 1500 was just exceptional and a really great one to build and fly. I built one a number of years ago and I think I still have another unopened kit around here somewhere. I would be reluctant to part with it though since the kit has been OOP for quite a while.

Joe

mojo1986
01-26-2018, 02:26 PM
I used white dope which I shot with an airbrush. Went on beautifully but shrank over time giving fine cracks in the white finish. A common problem with dopes.

Initiator001
01-27-2018, 12:00 AM
Sixty years ago right now these people were busy (very busy) getting ready for separate events that are inextricably linked. In a few days you'll find out what happened and you might even see an object that hasn't been seen by anybody in 60 years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUe2iFHU8AA0SG9.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUe2lZlVMAA_r-z.jpg

Honest Ivan lives! :D

Dewalt
01-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Joe that is a very fine looking Aerobee 1500.

mojo1986
01-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Sean. I have never flown it. That's gonna change this summer. Don't know whether you can see it in my photo, but it's already loaded with an Estes D and igniter.

Joe

pterodactyl
01-30-2018, 09:41 AM
Since the 1958 Chicago Hobby Show the rocket inside this crate has laid unseen and untouched. After its 60 year slumber, deep in the bowels of The Museum of Flight the crate's hinges will once again creak open. Stay tuned February 1st.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUzNSceV4AElQMI.jpg

Gus
01-30-2018, 10:03 AM
WOW!!

When that one gets uncrated and dusted off, it definitely needs to go on display! Who would have had any idea that still existed?

And I wonder what the reason was for the "vent" holes in the crate. Maybe just to save weight in hauling it around? Only G. Harry... :)

tbzep
01-30-2018, 11:10 AM
And I wonder what the reason was for the "vent" holes in the crate. Maybe just to save weight in hauling it around? Only G. Harry... :)
So that Aerobee can breathe! :D

It may be windows so people can see what's inside....advertisement!

BEC
01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Be careful picking that up....one of the hasps is missing and the lid might just pop open and spill the contents :eek:

jdbectec
01-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Since the 1958 Chicago Hobby Show the rocket inside this crate has laid unseen and untouched. After its 60 year slumber, deep in the bowels of The Museum of Flight the crate's hinges will once again creak open. Stay tuned February 1st.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUzNSceV4AElQMI.jpg

Wow! That must be like opening King Tut's tomb! :D

rocketguy101
01-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Yer killing me, Pat! Twitter and imgur are blocked at work (thankfully YORF isn't :) ) so all day your posts sit there and I have to wonder what you guys are talking about. Could you please upload your photos to the forum so they are visible? This is a neat thread, I just don't get to enjoy it fully until I get home...

tbzep
01-30-2018, 08:14 PM
Yer killing me, Pat! Twitter and imgur are blocked at work (thankfully YORF isn't :) ) so all day your posts sit there and I have to wonder what you guys are talking about. Could you please upload your photos to the forum so they are visible? This is a neat thread, I just don't get to enjoy it fully until I get home...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8

pterodactyl
01-31-2018, 01:32 PM
Sixty years ago today Explorer 1, the first US satellite. was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida (now known as Canaveral Air Force Station adjacent to KSC). This a model of the Jupiter C launch vehicle converted to flight from the 1/48 scale Hawk plastic model kit by G. Harry Stine in the 1960's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU4-04PVoAY-cxd.jpg:large

Meanwhile over at the venue for the Chicago hobby show Harry Stine, Dick Keller, and Mel Johnson were very busy readying the Model Missiles Inc exhibit that would open the next day.

pterodactyl
01-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Here is a good YouTube video of newsreel coverage of the Explorer 1 launch.

Explorer 1: First US Satellite (https://youtu.be/WT39gTs9X7k)

Here is a link to a live "A Celebration of the Explorer I Mission and the Discovery of Earth's Radiation Belts" hosted by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

http://sites.nationalacademies.org/SSB/SSB_184089

pterodactyl
02-01-2018, 08:45 AM
Sixty years ago in the late evening of January 31st America entered the Space Race with the launch of the country's first Earth satellite Explorer 1 atop a Jupiter C rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida. A few short hours later on February 1st the doors to the 1958 Chicago Hobby Show opened and a brand new company named Model Missiles Inc. suddenly found itself the surprise hit of the show. The Model Missiles booth, with its Space Age decor and a large orange scale model of an AerobeeHi sounding rocket, was soon overrun with hobby industry executives anxious to learn about this rocketry phenomenon. In recognition of this event we descended into the Archive’s basement vault to unlock a dusty treasure unseen by the public for 60 years—the very same orange AerobeeHi model that helped Model Missiles Inc. launch a model rocketry craze that has grown into the global hobby of today.

In this image Dick Keller (left) and G. Harry Stine (right) man the MMI booth. A large orange rocket can be seen peeking over Keller's shoulder. That is an Aerobee Hi model which has not been seen for sixty years. We change that today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9N0OmU0AAu_Zf.jpg:large

pterodactyl
02-01-2018, 11:50 AM
In recognition of this event we descended into the museum's basement vault to unlock a dusty treasure unseen by the public for 60 years—the very same orange AerobeeHi model that helped Model Missiles Inc. launch a model rocketry craze that has grown into the global hobby of today. Museum volunteer Pat Fitzpatrick and Museum Registrar Christine Runte performed the honors.

The Aerobee Hi display rocket is one of the many unique artifacts in the Museum’s G. Harry Stine Collection.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9k8zsUMAAvgRx.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9lC-2VoAAv4d2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9lQnnU0AAuG3A.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9lWVjVoAAR9Bg.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9oGICU0AAnquA.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9oL2SVoAEBsFI.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9oO6FUQAAtVhV.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9oSRYUMAUQcwh.jpg

I am not a user of Facebook to any extent but there is a video of the model coming out of the crate on the NAR Group Facebook page.

tbzep
02-01-2018, 04:34 PM
That's a big model for a hobby that only had the "B" motor until around 63 or 64. Was it a cluster model?

mojo1986
02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
I'm betting that was a display (promo) model and was not flyable.

pterodactyl
02-01-2018, 05:00 PM
It was only intended for display and does not contain any flight hardware. As somebody else suggested it would not be hard to produce a flying version with today's materials and engines.

BEC
02-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Pat posted an “unboxing” video of this on the NAR Facebook page for those of you who either go there or like me have significant others who do Facebook.

(oh - I see now Pat mentioned this at the bottom of his post, while disavowing any use of Facebook.... :D)

Initiator001
02-02-2018, 01:04 AM
It was only intended for display and does not contain any flight hardware. As somebody else suggested it would not be hard to produce a flying version with today's materials and engines.

Or something close to it. ;)

Rocketaholic
02-02-2018, 10:38 AM
That is really a great piece of model rocket history 🚀👍🏼😊

rocketguy101
02-02-2018, 06:12 PM
[snip]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DU9oGICU0AAnquA.jpg

I am struck by how beautiful the hand-painted logos are! GHS had an artist's touch.

Initiator001
02-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures of Harry's large Aerobee Hi model, Pat.

As Harry stated in an article he wrote it was the first 'Maxi' model.

Will the museum be putting the model on display and will the model get cleaned up/repaired/repainted?

Gus
02-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Also Pat, any evidence that this was somehow to be a flyable model? Or, more likely, just a display.

Steve

pterodactyl
02-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Bob-

Great question which I hope also gets asked at NARCON so you can hear the response from Amy Heidrick who is the Director of Collections at MOF. This represents my best guess based on watching the MOF for a couple of decades.

The Museum has final authority over the National Collection, but NAR does have a voice which is heard on a steering commitee consisting of representatives of both organizations.

Here's the steps that will likely take place before any restoration work takes place on any part of the collection.

1. Finalize cataloging of Stine, Estes, and Piester collections. This will be a multi year effort and is the emphasis of the "Pay Forward" fund raising campaign by NAR.

This step includes stabilization and archival storage of artifacts. The "maxi Aerobee" will soon get an upgrade in that regard.

2. Develop an exhibit plan for updating NAR's "Inspiring Rockets" exhibit (MOF Exhibit Dept and NAR committee task). The exhibit plan will determine items are scheduled for Step 3 work.

3. Perform expert restoration work for relevant artifacts scheduled for upcoming exhibit in accordance with Smithsonian Best Practices. (This isn't obvious until you think about it. Museums including NASM don't fully restore items that aren't going on exhibit. They also don't make repairs to historic artifacts that sustained damage in service. Therefore the inflight damage to Bob Biedron's Ariane during the WSMC remains unrepaired)

It's tough to give a timescale on this sequence of tasks. There are lots of variables as you can imagine, not all of which are in NAR control.

Pat

pterodactyl
02-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Steve-

There is no structural evidence at all that this model was ever intended to fly. As somebody else pointed out no model rocket engines in existence at that time were up to the task of lifting it, short of an "Honest Ivan" type effort. This model is a good bit bigger and heavier than "Ivan" so even that would likely not have worked.

As well here was a note with the model stating that it was "unflown" (likely by design).

Pat

stefanj
02-03-2018, 08:58 PM
That model probably looked enormous to modelers back in the day. Today we think nothing of flying models that large!

Even a Coaster "G" motor -- the largest thing available in that time frame, but really a few years later -- would have a hard time budging that Aerobee!

ghrocketman
02-04-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm thinking that giant Aerobee should be flown at least once.

pterodactyl
02-04-2018, 01:59 PM
We'll schedule the Aerobee flight the same day NASM fires up the Wright Flyer.

BEC
02-04-2018, 06:46 PM
In the comics today was a great encapsulation of what the MoF/NAR effort is really about:

http://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2018/02/04

Royatl
02-04-2018, 08:50 PM
On today's CBS Sunday Morning, there was brief archival footage of the Boy Scout Jamboree of 1969 which was held during Apollo 11's flight, and showed a couple of Estes Saturn IBs and Big Berthas being checked in for launch next to what looks like a 1/10 scale model Saturn V (maybe the same one that stayed crated all during NARAM 13).

tdracer
02-20-2018, 02:24 AM
Pat, we need to get together some time and talk about this - I have some items from the 1960s and early 1970's that might go well in the MoF collection, and better that then sitting in my closet.
Back then, I lived in Pueblo, ~30 miles from the Estes plant in Penrose. After we formed a Pueblo rocket club, we become 'known' at Estes and they worked with us. I have an early 1960's BT40 plastic spin fin can and rubber nose cone that I was gifted by someone at Estes back then. Also, around 1972 Boy's Life did an article on model rocketry featuring our club (long story, including getting my car stuck in the mud :mad: ) - I have a few copies of that issue of Boy's Life.
At one time I had a lot more, but much of it has been sold off on ebay over the years. :eek:

tbzep
02-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Also, around 1972 Boy's Life did an article on model rocketry featuring our club (long story, including getting my car stuck in the mud :mad: ) - I have a few copies of that issue of Boy's Life.
I believe I have found it. Click this link and choose page 38 in the table of contents.

October 1972 Boy's Life Magazine (https://books.google.com/books?id=RF0MClK8qN0C&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=1972+boy%27s+life+model+rocketry&source=bl&ots=waZGF18sbJ&sig=Ejl_b6gHzRxwel-JqLMOXV2kL88&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjAwqbA4bTZAhWPyVMKHbOvDFIQ6AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=1972%20boy's%20life%20model%20rocketry&f=false)

tdracer
02-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks tbzep, that's the one. You can sort of see my young, smiling face behind the Mars Lander as I'm hooking up the igniter ;) .

pterodactyl
03-16-2019, 09:14 AM
The Museum of Flight has announced the creation of an online collection of images from the first 10 NARAMs. Lots of great archival images, many of which are lacking information about the pictured subjects. You can help!

The collection is hosted by Flickr and is available to peruse now. If you see someone you recognize or have some other relevant information you can comment on any of the 135 photos uploaded with a Flickr account (free) or you can email MOF at: curator@museumofflight.org

Here's the link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stine_collection/albums

Ltvscout
03-16-2019, 07:57 PM
The Museum of Flight has announced the creation of an online collection of images from the first 10 NARAMs. Lots of great archival images, many of which are lacking information about the pictured subjects. You can help!

The collection is hosted by Flickr and is available to peruse now. If you see someone you recognize or have some other relevant information you can comment on any of the 135 photos uploaded with a Flickr account (free) or you can email MOF at: curator@museumofflight.org

Here's the link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stine_collection/albums
Great stuff. Thank you, Pat!

pterodactyl
03-17-2019, 11:39 AM
The picture on the back of the 1969 Centuri catalog is striking to this day. I'm wondering if anybody has any information about the origins of the model and its eventual fate. If the YORF hive mind doesn't know who does? (yes I'll ask Lee Piester too)

Centuri 1969 catalog: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/69cenb.html

It looks to me like the same model made an appearance at NARAM-10:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stine_collection/33354988378/in/album-72157707063068775/

pterodactyl
05-23-2019, 01:30 PM
The NAR has just announced the release of a new limited edition print to support the preservation of rocketry history at the MOF which commemorates Apollo 11 and the Golden Age of model rocketry. Information can be found here nar.org/donate (https://www.nar.org/donate/)

The piece, titled Saturn Rising, was created by NASA Art Program artist Chris Calle and shows the launch of Apollo 11 flanked by the two iconic Saturn V kits produced by Centuri and Estes. The piece blends elements of Power to Go which was painted by Chris Calle's father Paul, for the NASA art program.

Vern Estes and Lee Piester will sign the LE print along with artist Chris Calle, providing a direct link to both Apollo 11 and the hobby we love. For more Calle space art visit Calle Space Art (www.callespaceart.com)

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Saturn-Rising.jpg

pterodactyl
10-29-2019, 01:04 PM
The National Association of Rocketry and The Museum of Flight are pleased to announce the release of a major online resource for model rocketry hobbyists, space historians, science researchers and space enthusiasts. After nearly an 18 month effort involving Museum professional archivists, NAR volunteers, and museum science interns the G. Harry Stine Collection online finding is now available for the archival portion of the space visionary’s collection, at The Museum of Flight. The G. Harry Stine Collection is a foundational component of the National Collection of Model and Sport Rocketry.
The project is led by professional archivist Charise Michelsen who reports to MOF Director of Collections Amy Heidrick and MOF Senior Curator Matthew Burchette.
The $100,000 project is jointly funded by the NAR and The Museum of Flight via donations from its members and interested members of the public. The collection is comprised of three major components; Small Objects (mostly model rockets and space items), Library Materials (books), and Archival Materials (ephemera, files, plans, manuscripts, photos, slides, and oversize materials).
The archival portion of the Collection is summarized on the Museum website as follows:
“The G. Harry Stine Space History and Model Rocketry Collection consist of the personal papers of rocket scientist and early model rocket pioneer George Harry Stine. The material in the collection is made up of correspondence, technical drawings, manuscripts, research files, photographic and audiovisual materials, and ephemera. The papers document the founding of the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), the growth of the model rocketry industry, and other research and developments on rocketry in the latter half of the twentieth century. The collection has been organized in six series: I. Model Rocketry, 1957-2008; II. Writings, 1957-1994; III. Aeronautical Research Files, 1918-1994; IV. Personal and Other Professional Work, 1955-1997; V. Slides and Audiovisual Materials, 1946-1992; and VI. Henri Coanda Archives, 1914-1965. The materials are primarily in English, with a few items in French, German and Russian.”
An online Finding Aid to the Stine Collection can be found at: https://archives.museumofflight.org/repositories/2/resources/268
Note: The Finding Aid is essentially a roadmap to the collection. If you want specific information on a rocket, large or small, or some other aspect of the collection you will may need to submit a free online research request form on the specific topic. This is a good thing! Eventually these research requests will be collated into an online resource that will provide specific details and images on topics and items of interest.
MOF Research Request online form:
https://www.museumofflight.org/Collections-and-Research/Research-Request
NAR members are invited to review the online Finding Aid, or the 60 page PDF document found on the NAR website (https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Stine-Collection-Finding-Aid-V.1.pdf ). Corrections maybe submitted to Pat Fitzpatrick on the NAR Facebook page, or via email to pterodactyl101@gmail.com.

Ez2cDave
07-23-2020, 03:29 PM
The picture on the back of the 1969 Centuri catalog is striking to this day. I'm wondering if anybody has any information about the origins of the model and its eventual fate. If the YORF hive mind doesn't know who does? (yes I'll ask Lee Piester too)

Centuri 1969 catalog: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/69cenb.html

It looks to me like the same model made an appearance at NARAM-10:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stine_collection/33354988378/in/album-72157707063068775/

Notice that model is painted as 500F, the non-flying "training boilerplate" for the SATURN-V.
Estes used to sell a NON-FLYING display model "K-36NF". . . EXTREMELY RARE !

Dave F.

Ez2cDave
07-23-2020, 03:33 PM
More on K-36NF . . .

Dave F.

Earl
07-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Notice that model is painted as 500F, the non-flying "training boilerplate" for the SATURN-V.
Estes used to sell a NON-FLYING display model "K-36NF". . . EXTREMELY RARE !

Dave F.

Here's the original thread that discusses it:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=11977&highlight=non-flying+saturn

Earl

Ez2cDave
07-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Batch . . .

Dave F.

pterodactyl
10-23-2021, 06:02 PM
The Museum of Flight is hosting a live virtual tour of the G. Harry Stine Space and Rocketry History Collection on November 9, at 6pm Pacific. The live event is for MOF and NAR members. A few weeks after the event it will be available on the MOF YouTube channel.

https://museumofflight.org/Plan-Your-Visit/Calendar-of-Events/6454/member-exclusive-virtual-coffee-with-the-curator

pterodactyl
11-04-2021, 02:42 PM
For TBT here's a very 60's Estes Astron Ranger from the G. Harry Stine Space History and Model Rocketry Collection. See more of the collection in a livestream from the Museum of Flight on Tuesday Nov 9, at 9pm Eastern, 6pm Pacific. Look for your NAR exclusive access code in the latest Electronic Rocketeer!