PDA

View Full Version : PNC-55AO versus BNC-55AO

Green Dragon
04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I've been pondering this for a while - I know, I need a life. .. even dropped Carl a note re: differences.

Anyways, in a nutshell, when starting clones the last couple years, and PNC-55AO drying up, I've been using the BNC from either BMS or now Semroc.

should be ok - however, the tips of the BNC's seems 'fatter' than the PNC, and always looked 'odd' to me .

I had my Vigilante clone done and the cone looked to 'flat / fat' so I wound up stealing the PNC from my Magician ( rough original, replaced cone with a Custom Rockets).
the Custom Rockets cone is in between a PNC-55AO and 55AC, so not quite right either ( have not tried 'blunting' one yet, soon ...will post results.

Anyways, the BMS and Semroc cones are very similar, so assumed that's how the BNC's came and the PNC is slightly diffeent, ala the Pnc-50K and bnc-50K, etc.

However, as photos below will show - my vintage original Goblin has a 'narrow tip' cone, near exact copy of the PNC.
in comparison is the cone (white) shown , a BMS cone on my Bandit clone.

I;s suggested to Carl re: making a "plastic version" profile cone for the NC-55AO, but would anyone but me care ?
am I being too anal ? or does the 'wide' profile look 'wrong' on some builds ?

looks good on the Bandit, or Goblin, but, least to me - bad for Cobra 1500, Vigilante, not sure on my NASA Pegasus I just started ( might try to 'blunt' a Custom Rockets nc for that )

can anyone else comment on ORIGINAL balsa cones profile and usage ?

~ AL

sandman
04-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a fairly good sized collection of "original" nose cone that I use to make duplicates.

Especially for upscales...and the occasional downscale.

Yes! A lot of people care...a whole bunch! ;) When you're making a clone stuff like that is important.

You are right though. The PNC-55AO is pointier than the BNC-55AO.

But to say that SEMROC cones are like BMS cones...well maybe the shape, but that's where the similarity ends.

The SEMROC cone are much better finished.

Green Dragon
04-26-2007, 08:12 AM
But to say that SEMROC cones are like BMS cones...well maybe the shape, but that's where the similarity ends.

The SEMROC cone are much better finished.

I agree - what I meant was, yes, the same profile / tip shape.

Semroc cones ARE better finished, and have nice shoulder edges ( flat ends and generally beveled slightly ).
in my experience the Semroc cones generally need some slight sanding of theshoulders to fit my tubing - I blame that on NY humidity - so appears BMS cones might be using a slightly smaller shoulder dia / more clearance to fit.

now back to ou regularly scheduled program .....

~ AL

Phred
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I have been using the Custom BNC 55. It is very close to the PNC 55.

Phred

Green Dragon
04-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I have been using the Custom BNC 55. It is very close to the PNC 55.

Phred

Assume you meant Pnc-55 from Custom ? ( if they have a bnc, was not aware of it ) ...

anyways, the Custom Rockets cone has a fairly close profile to the PNC-55AO, best I can tell, but the tip is pointier / longer.

I have not yet tried to round one off, possibly fill the last 3/8" with epoxy, alumilite or ??, then cut off and round the tip - would be a nice way to replicate thePNC-55AO.

Phred - not 'picking on you' , lol.. but can you possibly post pics of clones done witht he Custom cones so I / we can see the comparison (ie: if it looks good, or if they look a little 'not right', like I felt about my Vigilante with either BNC from Semroc, or the Custom cone, had to find a vintage for the right lines ( although my Magician I stole the vintage cone from looks ok with the Custom cone, just still ' hmm....' .

~ AL

Phred
04-27-2007, 09:56 PM
No prob Al,

I menat to type: NC-55... but my fingers often do not listen... ;)

I will try to get some comparison pics for everyone.

PH

foose4string
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Phred, I got the Custom NC 55 to go with Bluebird decals you made me. I assume you have used these as well for your clones? Since this cone doesn't come with a cap for the base, what is your solution for these? I thought about rounding out a balsa block, or cutting out a circle from an 1/8 or better sheet of balsa, and epoxying it to the bottom. Then, I can run a screweye in it. But I'm not sure if this is the best solution. Do you, or anyone, have any ideas?

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Phred, I got the Custom NC 55 to go with Bluebird decals you made me. I assume you have used these as well for your clones? Since this cone doesn't come with a cap for the base, what is your solution for these? I thought about rounding out a balsa block, or cutting out a circle from an 1/8 or better sheet of balsa, and epoxying it to the bottom. Then, I can run a screweye in it. But I'm not sure if this is the best solution. Do you, or anyone, have any ideas?

That'll work. It's how QModeling does it, and that setup has yet to fail me. :cool:

Phred
05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
I chunked out a balsa block to fir into the opening.

That worked fine, but a bulkhead as you describe of 3/32" or 1/8" ply would work.

Ph

foose4string
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I've got one of those Midwest balsa grab bags that has blocks and and assorted scrap stuff in it.
Shouldn't be too hard to find something that will work with a little carving and sanding. I'm assuming 5 min epoxy will be ok with that plastic.

Phred
05-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Even gel super glue should work.