PDA

View Full Version : Update Ebay Fraud

UMRS
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
For anyone who remembers the "Upnorthguy" aka Jeff C Jones. He is still loose and running on ebay under a new User ID.

joecoolsnoopy50

So as always "Caveat Emptor"

For detailed information see link below
jonesy saga (http://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Deadbeats/Jeff_Jones.html)

Daniel Runyon
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I checked his Ebay page and it looks like he is doing legit business now, as evidenced by the last few years of positive feedback from both buyers and sellers. I wonder if he just went through some kind of weirdness back when all those people were not getting their merchandise (listed at the bottom of the page on your site)?

It would be interesting to know what the deal is with him, and what was behind the period that he ripped people off.

Gus
04-26-2007, 08:34 PM
... it looks like he is doing legit business now,....
"Legit business" would be using the income from his Ebay sales to pay back the people he so blatantly defrauded. It's not like this happened once, it was a big misunderstanding, and it's never happened again. Jonesy recirculates his list from time to time to take advantage of newbies like yourself.

I've yet to see the uplifting story of one of these folks who ripped people off turning over a new leaf and refunding everybody's money. What I HAVE seen is these guys change their identities, engage in brief periods of reputation rebuilding, and then go back to ripping people off again.

Neither ebay, paypal, or the postmaster general give you any real protection from this sort of behavior.

My hat's off to Mike for staying on top of this guy and continuing to refresh the warning.

A Fish Named Wallyum
04-26-2007, 09:18 PM
"Legit business" would be using the income from his Ebay sales to pay back the people he so blatantly defrauded. It's not like this happened once, it was a big misunderstanding, and it's never happened again. Jonesy recirculates his list from time to time to take advantage of newbies like yourself.

I've yet to see the uplifting story of one of these folks who ripped people off turning over a new leaf and refunding everybody's money. What I HAVE seen is these guys change their identities, engage in brief periods of reputation rebuilding, and then go back to ripping people off again.

Neither ebay, paypal, or the postmaster general give you any real protection from this sort of behavior.

My hat's off to Mike for staying on top of this guy and continuing to refresh the warning.

He dropped in on Yahoo OldRockets a couple of months back like the big steaming turd that he is. I think there are enough people out here who know his history that it will be difficult for him to pull off his scam like he did in the past. He'll have to change tactics, so be very wary of any unsolicited e-mails you might receive that offer kits at "too good to be true" prices. Chances are, "too good to be true" is exactly what they'll be. :mad:

Daniel Runyon
04-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Ah, I didn't realize there had been any fairly recent activity out of him. I was just curious as to what could have been the story behind the story. I suppose he's just running the Ebay thing legit to have a solid ground, and does the ripoff thing "on the side" whenever he can.

I'm definitely grateful to have run up on the info about him a few months ago, cause if I had seen his list without knowing about it I would have definitely gotten ripped too.

Bob H
04-26-2007, 10:40 PM

I couldn't agree more.

Mike has done a great service to the rocketry community by keeping the "Jonesy" warnings alive.

I, personally, don't purchase things off Ebay but I know plenty of people that do and I would hate to see them get ripped off.

tbzep
04-27-2007, 09:32 AM
I checked his Ebay page and it looks like he is doing legit business now, as evidenced by the last few years of positive feedback from both buyers and sellers. I wonder if he just went through some kind of weirdness back when all those people were not getting their merchandise (listed at the bottom of the page on your site)?

It would be interesting to know what the deal is with him, and what was behind the period that he ripped people off.

That "legit business" could be him and his friends doing fake auctions to build positive feedback.

Gus
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Jonesy listed a PDR Galactic Taxi on ebay today.

Buyer Beware.

UMRS
06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Good work, Im going to keep my eye on it. I would suggest we email as many bidders as possible and warn them.

Nice Catch :)

dwmzmm
06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Jonesy listed a PDR Galactic Taxi on ebay today.

Buyer Beware.

Why would anyone want to get this kit on e-bay, when they can just order it from PDRocketry directly?!