PDA

View Full Version : Coming Estes Kits

Chas Russell
09-25-2017, 02:28 PM
https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/

Three new kits on the website. The Astron Explorer is Skill Level 4 and appears to be a ducted ejection like the Trident based on the BT-55.

Super Big Bertha re-released for 29mm BP motors with laminated fins.

Could be interesting.

Chas

Newbomb Turk
09-25-2017, 04:18 PM
I don't see slots in the Super Big Bertha toobs. Cut your own?

Doug Sams
09-25-2017, 04:42 PM
I don't see slots in the Super Big Bertha toobs. Cut your own?I suppose you'd have to. There are clearly tabs on the fins (in the pic of the parts layout).

Doug

Newbomb Turk
09-25-2017, 05:22 PM
To be clear, I 'm buying anyway...

Les
09-25-2017, 07:00 PM
sigh.... more stuff to buy

BEC
09-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Gee, we ought to ask John (JumpJet) about those fin tabs. I would have expected the production kits to have the slots cut. The “bag of parts” that I got from him at NSL required me to cut the slots but I thought he told me that they’d be cut in the released kit....

neil_w
09-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Three new kits on the website. The Astron Explorer is Skill Level 4 and appears to be a ducted ejection like the Trident based on the BT-55.

The website actually says that one is skill level 3, which is a bit surprising if you have to cut the ducts yourself (it appears as if you do indeed).

It's an interesting looking kit, especially with the nose cone in the middle of the main BT.

Initiator001
09-26-2017, 01:42 AM
I don't see slots in the Super Big Bertha toobs. Cut your own?

Yup.

I contacted Estes about that question.

The response was, "...We planned to have slots cut in the tubes but it's a long story..."

A cutting guide is included and the kit will come in a box.

Chas Russell
09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
"The website actually says that one is skill level 3, which is a bit surprising if you have to cut the ducts yourself (it appears as if you do indeed)."

True, but it says "4" twice in the kit description. I was surprised that it includes a baffle and alignment fixture (like the SEMROC Trident kit). John Boren is really bringing it. He designs using the currently available Estes parts, but my first thought was "SPEV?"

Chas

BEC
09-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Yup.

I contacted Estes about that question.

The response was, "...We planned to have slots cut in the tubes but it's a long story..."

A cutting guide is included and the kit will come in a box.

Ah..... another one of those. I managed to cut the slots pretty easily using the paper guide that John included in the parts bag at NSL, so it certainly isn't a deal-breaker.

I've flown the one I have in primer twice, both on E16-6s. It gets to not quite 600 feet that way.

BEC
09-26-2017, 01:58 PM
"The website actually says that one is skill level 3, which is a bit surprising if you have to cut the ducts yourself (it appears as if you do indeed)."

True, but it says "4" twice in the kit description. I was surprised that it includes a baffle and alignment fixture (like the SEMROC Trident kit). John Boren is really bringing it. He designs using the currently available Estes parts, but my first thought was "SPEV?"

Chas

It might be. He told me when the Estes SLV came out that it was a SPEV. The SLV uses 5 BNC-50Js....and I gather they're getting completely away from balsa nose cones.

It's funny that whenever it comes up in conversation, Bill Simon, the designer of the original SPEV, he claims he wishes everyone would forget that one.... :)

There is also the recent packaging change to some of the Estes line that changed "skill level" to just "level" and basically redefined everything up two levels, so that RTFs and E2X/ARF types had a level number. One obvious effect of that was to make the 1225 Alpha a "Level 3" model! As I understand it, this was done with little and pretty much after-the-fact input from the folks in Penrose who know a few things about model rockets....

That project was apparently not completed, so there is a mixture of the older skill level and newer "just level" packaging out there. When that web page was created, one might wonder which level system was on the mind of the page creator.

Newbomb Turk
09-26-2017, 04:45 PM
I noticed that on the Alpha packaging and couldn't get my brain around it.

blackshire
09-28-2017, 09:38 AM
It might be. He told me when the Estes SLV came out that it was a SPEV. The SLV uses 5 BNC-50Js....and I gather they're getting completely away from balsa nose cones.

It's funny that whenever it comes up in conversation, Bill Simon, the designer of the original SPEV, he claims he wishes everyone would forget that one.... :)His attitude toward his S.P.E.V. kit sounds like Tom Cruise's "dis-ownership" of the movie "Legend," which--considering how both the kit and the movie have become well-loved over the years--is a bit strange. The S.P.E.V. is actually two kits in one; itself, and a Thor-Agena B (which Estes always printed incorrectly as "Thor Agena-B," see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/68estp16.html ), "plus extra parts."There is also the recent packaging change to some of the Estes line that changed "skill level" to just "level" and basically redefined everything up two levels, so that RTFs and E2X/ARF types had a level number. One obvious effect of that was to make the 1225 Alpha a "Level 3" model! As I understand it, this was done with little and pretty much after-the-fact input from the folks in Penrose who know a few things about model rockets....

That project was apparently not completed, so there is a mixture of the older skill level and newer "just level" packaging out there. When that web page was created, one might wonder which level system was on the mind of the page creator....So in addition to the latest iteration of the Alpha, the packaging of all of the new kits--with its "half 'n half" skill level/level nomenclature--will also be collectible (shades of the artist Pablo Picasso signing his utilities checks and other payments' checks, whose recipients never cashed them, but sold them instead, because his signature was worth more as a collectible item)... :-)

BEC
09-28-2017, 12:49 PM
His attitude toward his S.P.E.V. kit sounds like Tom Cruise's "dis-ownership" of the movie "Legend," which--considering how both the kit and the movie have become well-loved over the years--is a bit strange. The S.P.E.V. is actually two kits in one; itself, and a Thor-Agena B (which Estes always printed incorrectly as "Thor Agena-B," see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/68estp16.html ), "plus extra parts."

Based on some of the other things Bill has told me, the S.P.E.V. being essentially another kit with extra parts (the ones, presumably, that had been over ordered and were then excess to need) is not surprising. He has mentioned on more than one occasion that he tried to use existing parts whenever possible in a new design. Even in the Alpha's case, every part in its original incarnation was already used somewhere else in the Estes line save the fin pattern sheet and the instructions.

...So in addition to the latest iteration of the Alpha, the packaging of all of the new kits--with its "half 'n half" skill level/level nomenclature--will also be collectible (shades of the artist Pablo Picasso signing his utilities checks and other payments' checks, whose recipients never cashed them, but sold them instead, because his signature was worth more as a collectible item)... :-)

Well....at least for those who want to collect every single packaging variation of a given model, I suppose so. I strongly doubt that was the intent behind it. :)

To get back somewhat to topic - I finally got the white paint on my SBB yesterday. I hope the weather holds out long enough for me to shoot the red tomorrow or Saturday so that it can be finished before our next club launch and so that I can get some pictures.

But the weather forecast is not encouraging - after getting to 80 today it looks like it's going to be wet, windy and struggling to get to 60 for the next several days. *sigh*

mwtoelle
09-28-2017, 04:21 PM
His attitude toward his S.P.E.V. kit sounds like Tom Cruise's "dis-ownership" of the movie "Legend," which--considering how both the kit and the movie have become well-loved over the years--is a bit strange. The S.P.E.V. is actually two kits in one; itself, and a Thor-Agena B (which Estes always printed incorrectly as "Thor Agena-B," see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/68estp16.html ), "plus extra parts."...So in addition to the latest iteration of the Alpha, the packaging of all of the new kits--with its "half 'n half" skill level/level nomenclature--will also be collectible (shades of the artist Pablo Picasso signing his utilities checks and other payments' checks, whose recipients never cashed them, but sold them instead, because his signature was worth more as a collectible item)... :-)
The Thor-Agena B actually used the BT-60K from the Ranger (Payload tube). The SPEV used the BT-60FG from the Mars Lander which was approximately 0.3" shorter (6.7" vs. 7"). I still think the SPEV is an interesting design and a creative way to eliminate some excess parts.

Jerry Irvine
09-28-2017, 06:57 PM
It's funny that whenever it comes up in conversation, Bill Simon, the designer of the original SPEV, he claims he wishes everyone would forget that one.... :)GFL.

LeeR
09-28-2017, 08:25 PM
To get back somewhat to topic - I finally got the white paint on my SBB yesterday. I hope the weather holds out long enough for me to shoot the red tomorrow or Saturday so that it can be finished before our next club launch and so that I can get some pictures.

But the weather forecast is not encouraging - after getting to 80 today it looks like it's going to be wet, windy and struggling to get to 60 for the next several days. *sigh*

Bernard,

I didn't know you ended up with an SBB from NSL. Congratulations. I attended Chili Blaster in a Pueblo a few week ago and John Boren brought several SBBs, and Red Novas, to raffle off. I was lucky enough to get a Red Nova. I have not started it yet but I'd like to get it done before the masses have them at launches. I also won a Madcow Cricket, a 4" upscale of the 220 Swift. I've never had that kind of luck before!

I'll be interested to see your completed SBB. Hopefully you'll get a break in the weather. It's rainy here in Colorado, so not much painting going on here either.

BEC
09-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Lee,

John handed me a bag of parts and a couple of printed templates....which built into a Super Big Bertha. It was in primer in mid-July when it was first flown (twice) on E16-6s. As I say got it’s first actual top coat of white paint yesterday.

Some time it’ll get finished. It looks like maybe there will be a break in the rain on Tuesday next week (though I don’t know about wind that far out yet).

rocket.aero
09-28-2017, 08:48 PM
...the artist Pablo Picasso signing his utilities checks and other payments' checks, whose recipients never cashed them, but sold them instead, because his signature was worth more as a collectible item)... :-)

Early American astronauts were notable for making small, sundry purchases with personal checks. Picture Alan Shepard buying a Coke and a candy bar with his checkbook and you'll get the idea. Who would cash that check?

James

blackshire
09-29-2017, 02:24 AM
Based on some of the other things Bill has told me, the S.P.E.V. being essentially another kit with extra parts (the ones, presumably, that had been over ordered and were then excess to need) is not surprising. He has mentioned on more than one occasion that he tried to use existing parts whenever possible in a new design. Even in the Alpha's case, every part in its original incarnation was already used somewhere else in the Estes line save the fin pattern sheet and the instructions.There's nothing wrong with that; in fact, parts that are/were used in only one kit--except scale kits, of course--are unusual. If memory serves, some of the S.P.E.V.'s parts were estimated to have 50-year supplies at Estes!Well....at least for those who want to collect every single packaging variation of a given model, I suppose so. I strongly doubt that was the intent behind it. :)I don’t think it was intended, either; but if I worked at Estes and was aware of the “transition collectors,” I might buy a few such “transition” kits and stash them away...The Thor-Agena B actually used the BT-60K from the Ranger (Payload tube). The SPEV used the BT-60FG from the Mars Lander which was approximately 0.3" shorter (6.7" vs. 7"). I still think the SPEV is an interesting design and a creative way to eliminate some excess parts.Thank you. Never having had either of those kits, I wasn’t aware of that slight BT-60 length difference. It’s small enough, though, that the motor mount (which uses a JT-60 stage coupler in the Thor-Agena B kit, see: http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-28.pdf [oddly, “Thor-Agena B” is printed correctly in the kit instructions, unlike in the catalogs’ listings for the kit]) could just be allowed to protrude 0.3” out the rear of the S.P.E.V.’s BT-60FG, and a 0.3” wide strip of card stock (or scrap BT-60) could fill the 0.3” wide “gap.”Early American astronauts were notable for making small, sundry purchases with personal checks. Picture Alan Shepard buying a Coke and a candy bar with his checkbook and you'll get the idea. Who would cash that check?

JamesI hadn’t known that, but if I were that famous, I’d do that, too! :-)

JumpJet
09-29-2017, 09:48 AM
Unless it's a scale kit or a bring back that uses a special length tube just about every design I've done for Estes uses Excess Parts or standard 18" long tubes. The name of the rocket can even reflect this such as EPM, (Excess Parts Model) followed by a number that may be the year it cam out. STM ( Slotted Tube Model ). Many time we pick a working name for the model while its going through the design and manufacturing process to have something to reference. Some times this temporary name becomes the final name.

John Boren

BEC
09-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Ah - one more insight into the naming conundrum. Bill Simon echoes the sentiments that you’ve expressed more than once that naming the durn things is sometimes harder than designing them. :D

Shreadvector
09-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Bring back The DUDE !!!!

Woody's Workshop
09-29-2017, 06:19 PM
2 things.
It's good see more old kits coming back, and...
It's good to see Estes doing a work around for the lack of plywood fins on Pro II builder kits.

Jerry Irvine
09-29-2017, 06:38 PM
I wasn’t aware of that slight BT-60 length difference. Estes is long on tube length variances over the years. They have a surprising number of diameters, some of which make sense (Centuri ST-13 Astrocam) and some of which do not (BT-52/56).

Jerry

Jerry Irvine
09-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Bring back The DUDE !!!!No!!! Dude ++ 29mm. Estes' first drop stage recommended kit. E16-0 E16-4. Tape dowels to two sides of the "bubble". Eject the upper motor too.

While on this topic why don't they have a 29mm Blender kit? Why pay less for power?

Jerry

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/sonic160.htm

blackshire
09-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Bring back The DUDE !!!!It would offer interesting possibilities, which would also make it a good educational rocket. For example:

By inflating it with helium instead of air so that it would be lighter (I don't think it could be made neutrally buoyant due to the weight of its fins and motor mount [the inflatable hull envelope by itself might be light enough to become so, though]), one might achieve long flight durations even with its lowest-impulse recommended motors, or:

By inflating it with a gas that's heavier than air (xenon would be interesting, but very expensive; carbon dioxide or carbon tetrachloride [CCl4 is only dangerous in large quantities, or in the presence of hot copper or brass] would be good alternatives), it should coast higher because it would then have a greater mass/frontal area ratio.

JumpJet
09-30-2017, 12:20 PM
It is my understanding that the Dude was a Dud when it came to sales so you won't be seeing that model come back.

John Boren

blackshire
09-30-2017, 12:37 PM
It is my understanding that the Dude was a Dud when it came to sales so you won't be seeing that model come back.

John BorenThat's not one I'll greatly miss... :-)

Gus
09-30-2017, 04:56 PM

John Boren
Believe it or not, John, I once saw the Dude flown in competition. It flew in E-SuperRoc at NARAM 49. :0

Initiator001
10-01-2017, 12:59 AM
Here's a picture of the three new kits which were just announced.

The Super Big Bertha is in a bag but the kit is changing to a box when it becomes available.
The change was required because the body tubes were getting damaged during shipment.

Woody's Workshop
10-01-2017, 03:42 PM
I like all three.
It's too bad I am forced to sell many of my items in my collection right now.
I've missed out on many of new releases the past few years.
Including many of the "Classic Series".
Maybe if life ever starts treating me good again I will be able to buy some off Ebay and over pay just to have some to build and fly.
Such as life.

Jerry Irvine
10-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Here's a picture of the three new kits which were just announced.

The Super Big Bertha is in a bag but the kit is changing to a box when it becomes available.
The change was required because the body tubes were getting damaged during shipment.
The Astron explorer has too many nose cones. The Bertha deserves a box.

aeppel_cpm
10-02-2017, 08:15 AM
[QUOTE=Jerry Irvine]While on this topic why don't they have a 29mm Blender kit? Why pay less for power?[QUOTE]

29mm Blender = awesome g80 flights!
38mm Quinstar = more awesomer.

Royatl
10-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Estes is long on tube length variances over the years. They have a surprising number of diameters, some of which make sense (Centuri ST-13 Astrocam) and some of which do not (BT-52/56).

Jerry

BT-56 is just Estes' name for ST-13

BT-52 is a slip fit of BT-50 and it was used for the Thor Agena.

96 (thor diam.) / 60 (agena diam.) = 1.637 (bt-60 diam.) / 1.024 (bt-52 diam. + 0.01 -- I wonder if that wasn't an off-by-one error originally when specifying to the tube manufacturer?)

mwtoelle
10-02-2017, 03:18 PM
A shorter piece of BT-52 was also used in the K-39 Saturn V.

Jerry Irvine
10-02-2017, 05:50 PM
I wonder if BT-52 is Centuri ST-10?

hcmbanjo
10-02-2017, 09:17 PM

From the Semroc website:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Products/BodyTubes.asp

Estes BT-52 I.D. 0.988" O.D. 1.014"
Centuri ST-10 I.D. 1.000" O.D. 1.040"

Royatl
10-03-2017, 02:01 AM

no, ST-10 was 1.04" od, BT-52 was 1.014 od

mwtoelle
10-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Another thing to consider is that ST-10 has a wall thickness of 0.020", and the equivalent dimension on the BT-52 is 0.013". The Centuri tube has an extra layer of paper in it, so ST-10 is a bit sturdier than BT-52.

Jerry Irvine
10-03-2017, 07:33 PM
Sorry on BT-52.

blackshire
10-04-2017, 11:13 AM
BT-56 is just Estes' name for ST-13

BT-52 is a slip fit of BT-50 and it was used for the Thor Agena.

96 (thor diam.) / 60 (agena diam.) = 1.637 (bt-60 diam.) / 1.024 (bt-52 diam. + 0.01 -- I wonder if that wasn't an off-by-one error originally when specifying to the tube manufacturer?)I'm not sure. I have never had a Thor-Agena B kit, nor was I aware--until I looked up its instructions *here* http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/k-28.pdf just now, after reading the above postings--that it used/uses BT-52 tubing for the Agena B second stage (it could be cut shorter to make a Thor-Agena A [Thor-Hustler, so called because the JP-4/nitric acid-burning second stage engine was originally designed to power the cancelled "powered bomb pod" for the B-58 Hustler])...but:

I had previously seen BT-52 tubing listed, many years ago, and it wasn't in a regular Estes catalog. I may have seen it listed in Estes' "Custom Parts Catalog" (which dates to 1974), but I think I saw it listed in the instructions of an Estes kit that I once built--but I can't remember which one it might have been. ALSO--speaking of the Estes Thor-Agena B kit, *here* www.google.com/search?q=Estes+Thor-Agena+B+kit+instructions&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin4tqxqNfWAhVQ0WMKHWVKAMAQsAQINg&biw=1440&bih=794 is a set of nice color photographs of Hans "Chris" Michielssen’s beautifully-built-and-detailed Thor-Agena B model.

mwtoelle
10-04-2017, 04:10 PM
About the only places that I have seen the BT-52 used as an external tube are the Thor-Agena B (K-28), the Semi-Scale Saturn V (K-39/1239), and the Colonial Viper (1310) kits. BT-52 was more often used as a sleeve over the BT-50 motor tubes in several 'D'-powered kits. John Brohm's Estes tube reference goes into a bit more detail about which kits used the BT-52 as a sleeve. An interesting note is that the BT-52 used on the K-39 is actually a bit too small for the correct scale (1.014" as opposed to 1.081"). I suspect that Estes just used the closest available tube for that kit to save money.

blackshire
10-04-2017, 04:45 PM
About the only places that I have seen the BT-52 used as an external tube are the Thor-Agena B (K-28), the Semi-Scale Saturn V (K-39/1239), and the Colonial Viper (1310) kits. BT-52 was more often used as a sleeve over the BT-50 motor tubes in several 'D'-powered kits. John Brohm's Estes tube reference goes into a bit more detail about which kits used the BT-52 as a sleeve. An interesting note is that the BT-52 used on the K-39 is actually a bit too small for the correct scale (1.014" as opposed to 1.081"). I suspect that Estes just used the closest available tube for that kit to save money.The Semi-Scale (1:242 scale) Saturn V was a "budget" version of the 1:100 scale one, so if they did use BT-52 for that reason, it was "in that spirit." :-)

eljefe
01-03-2018, 03:26 PM
I just noticed today the Super Big Bertha and Astron Explorer are listed in stock. Order away!

https://www.estesrockets.com/new/009719-pro-series-iitm-super-big-berthatm

https://www.estesrockets.com/new/007264-astron-explorertm

ghrocketman
01-03-2018, 05:52 PM
BT-52 was used in the SPEV also.

stefanj
01-03-2018, 08:01 PM
If I got the Explorer, I'd kitbash it, to make it more of a Sci-Fi spaceship.

Make the connecting tubes longer.

Make the upper tube shorter.

Cut the nose cone apart and add transparent tubing . . . that is what that cone was designed for originally, as I recall!

Turn the fins around. Maybe add pods on the tips.

jeffyjeep
01-03-2018, 09:00 PM
If I got the Explorer, I'd kitbash it, to make it more of a Sci-Fi spaceship.

Make the connecting tubes longer.

Make the upper tube shorter.

Cut the nose cone apart and add transparent tubing . . . that is what that cone was designed for originally, as I recall!

Turn the fins around. Maybe add pods on the tips.

I might kitbash mine with ducted ejection—Trident style.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-03-2018, 09:00 PM

:confused: Explain.

blackshire
01-04-2018, 06:01 AM
:confused: Explain.The earliest kit I know of that used that nose cone--or one very similar to it--was Estes' Odyssey (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/77est024.html ), which first appeared in their 1977 catalog. The Odyssey was--judging by the "real" vehicle's description in the catalog listing--part of Estes' "Star Trek canon" that began with their licensed Starship Enterprise and Klingon Battle Cruiser kits in 1975 (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes75/75est22.html ), and was continued in 1976 with their Alien Invader (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/76est028.html ), Photon Disruptor, and U.S.S. Atlantis kits (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/76est024.html ). (Their Andromeda [see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes75/75est24h.html ], another starship kit that also first appeared in the 1975 Estes catalog, may have been inspired by this, although to me, it "felt" more like it was from the SF universe in which "The Starlost" occurred.)

astronwolf
01-04-2018, 07:42 AM
:confused: Explain.
This a picture of the parts that come with the Astron Explorer 7264 kit. That nose cone looks like it should be cut apart and not used as one piece. A bunch of kits used it as some sort of "exotic" sci-fi kind of nose cone. But I see a nose cone and a couple tube connectors. I think that's what Stefan meant.

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/a/parts_layout_wrong_small_nosecone_9.18.17.jpg

tbzep
01-04-2018, 08:08 AM
The lower section doesn't have a long enough shoulder on the front end to use as a coupler. The middle section could easily be used as a coupler. It may be an optical illusion, but the upper section looks like the shoulder is curved, eliminating its use as a stand alone nose cone unless the BT is shaped accordingly. I'll have to dig out my Dark Energy kit that I bought for parts to make an Odyssey when I get the chance and have a better look.

rraeford
01-04-2018, 08:38 AM
It I should difficult to see on the photos of this kit that I have seen, but is that the end cap/tail cone from the Interceptor I see?

blackshire
01-04-2018, 09:03 AM
It I should difficult to see on the photos of this kit that I have seen, but is that the end cap/tail cone from the Interceptor I see?It certainly looks like one (immediately to the right of the coiled-up shock cord). The Explorer kit's diameter (1.325" [rounded to 1.33" in the kit's listing; it's BT-55]) is also the same as that of the original, 18 mm motor powered, Interceptor kit (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/77est032.html ). Also:

The Falcon Commander (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/81est014.html and http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/81est006.html ), a rather "Interceptor-esque" model that used the 0.976" BT-50 tubing, could be made in a BT-55 up-scaled version (with a ribbed tail cone, which the original BT-50 size kit lacked) using the Interceptor nose cone and tail cone.

Jerry Irvine
01-04-2018, 09:37 AM
https://www.estesrockets.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/a/parts_layout_wrong_small_nosecone_9.18.17.jpg
It never ceases to amaze me how inefficiently Estes uses balsa. Those poor, rare trees.

stefanj
01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
This a picture of the parts that come with the Astron Explorer 7264 kit. That nose cone looks like it should be cut apart and not used as one piece. A bunch of kits used it as some sort of "exotic" sci-fi kind of nose cone. But I see a nose cone and a couple tube connectors. I think that's what Stefan meant.[/IMG]

Yes . . . but I also think (looking at the kit photos that blackshire posted) that I may have been thinking of another plastic piece. Specifically, the satellite body and transition that was used in a space booster kit (with a transparent payload section) and also as the SDI satellite.

That said . . . if that "cone" can be cut up and strung along on a transparent tube, it should! Heck, add LEDs and greebles.

blackshire
01-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Yes . . . but I also think (looking at the kit photos that blackshire posted) that I may have been thinking of another plastic piece. Specifically, the satellite body and transition that was used in a space booster kit (with a transparent payload section) and also as the SDI satellite.

That said . . . if that "cone" can be cut up and strung along on a transparent tube, it should! Heck, add LEDs and greebles.Are you referring to the GEO SAT LV kit (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes87/87est54.html )? It recycled several parts from other kits, and it's another one of those kits that--if *hint, hint* Estes brought back--I'd buy one or three (or more) of...

turbofireball
01-04-2018, 12:08 PM
The nose cone in this new Asteroid Explorer is the same one that was in the Dark Energy #7219 kit. It was a new tool to duplicate the nose cone originally found in the Odyssey #1289. Both were BT-55 based, It has nothing to do with the Geo Sat #1977 plastic parts.

astronwolf
01-04-2018, 12:28 PM
The nose cone in this new Asteroid Explorer is the same one that was in the Dark Energy #7219 kit. It was a new tool to duplicate the nose cone originally found in the Odyssey #1289. Both were BT-55 based, It has nothing to do with the Geo Sat #1977 plastic parts.
It's all good cause Stefan is just brainstorming a way that the new Astron Explorer can be kitbashed. You can get clear tubing to fit BT-55 size parts from eRockets and Apogee.

Did you guys notice the new "Space Crater?" I laughed out loud at the name. An egglofter known as the.... Space Crater.... lolz... This one has easy night launch possibilities. :cool:

https://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/007265-space-cratertm

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/a/parts_layout_for_web_1.jpg

ghrocketman
01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
The Asteroid Explorer cone can be used to clone the Rigel 3 futuristic two-stage in addition to the Odyssey.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Ah, gotcha. I have that cone in the basement waiting for me to get interested in building an SDI Satellite. I think I ordered the tubes that surround the main body tube with an idea of getting started on the project, but that's as far as I got. I have the GeoSat downstairs as well, which I think is the kit you're referring to. :cool:

Initiator001
01-04-2018, 04:06 PM
It I should difficult to see on the photos of this kit that I have seen, but is that the end cap/tail cone from the Interceptor I see?

Yes.

I have the Astron Explorer along with a Dark Energy and the last iteration of the Interceptor kits.

All three have the same tail cone.

JumpJet
01-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Actually the Tail cone of the Interceptor is different and is only used in the Interceptor kit since it is molded along with all the other plastic parts that comes in that kit. I needed just a tail cone for other designs so I came up with a new one, that is similar yet different.

John Boren

bernomatic
01-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Here's a side by side comparison of the interceptor tail cone and the Xarconian Cruiser

Tailcones (http://forum.starportsagitta.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5&sid=15cc78ba87d9404d343287a81ea172d2)

foamy
01-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Are you referring to the GEO SAT LV kit (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes87/87est54.html )? It recycled several parts from other kits, and it's another one of those kits that--if *hint, hint* Estes brought back--I'd buy one or three (or more) of...

The Geo Sat was a really cool looking model. A bit heavy for an 18mm, but then l may just have been heavy handed with glue and paint. Never launched it that I didn’t have to re-attach one or more fins. Still, style-wise, one of my favorites.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-06-2018, 02:01 PM
The Geo Sat was a really cool looking model. A bit heavy for an 18mm, but then l may just have been heavy handed with glue and paint. Never launched it that I didn’t have to re-attach one or more fins. Still, style-wise, one of my favorites.

Flown twice since in my care. I've yet to pop a fin, but I can see how it would be a concern.

chrism
01-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Bring back The DUDE !!!!

Heavens No!!

ghrocketman
01-07-2018, 01:50 PM
"The DUDE" was perhaps the WORST idea to ever come from Estes.
Naturally that turd was during the "toy company" so-called "leadership" era there.
I'd rather try to FLY a PORTA-PAD.

hcmbanjo
01-07-2018, 03:30 PM
I'd never own a DUDE.
But once in a while one will show up at a club launch.
Everybody stops what they're doing to watch it.
Everybody gets a good laugh and the owner a round of applause.

Jerry Irvine
01-07-2018, 06:44 PM
"The DUDE" was perhaps the WORST idea to ever come from Estes.I'd rather try to FLY a PORTA-PAD.Quote of the week.

foamy
01-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Flown twice since in my care. I've yet to pop a fin, but I can see how it would be a concern.
Nice. Wish I still had one.

jeffyjeep
01-09-2018, 02:57 PM
I'd never own a DUDE.
But once in a while one will show up at a club launch.
Everybody stops what they're doing to watch it.
Everybody gets a good laugh and the owner a round of applause.

Ooo! Ooo! I’ve got an idea! Fill the Dude up with hydrogen, power it with a D12-0, and reenact the Hindenburg’s final moments!

“FWOOM”!
“Oh the humanity!”

On second thought, it might not be a good idea. :o

Joe Wooten
01-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Ooo! Ooo! I’ve got an idea! Fill the Dude up with hydrogen, power it with a D12-0, and reenact the Hindenburg’s final moments!

“FWOOM”!
“Oh the humanity!”

A great idea for a night launch on July 4th....... :D
Make it an E12-5 instead so the ejection charge can ignite the hydrogen.....

mojo1986
01-09-2018, 04:19 PM
GH?

chrism
01-09-2018, 06:47 PM

“FWOOM”!
“Oh the humanity!”

That would be the best thing to happen to The Dude!!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Nice. Wish I still had one.
I was kind of surprised to be the only bidder on this one. :confused: That's actually happened more often than not with built rockets.

blackshire
01-10-2018, 02:24 AM
"The DUDE" was perhaps the WORST idea to ever come from Estes.
Naturally that turd was during the "toy company" so-called "leadership" era there.
I'd rather try to FLY a PORTA-PAD.An Estes Astron Spaceman (see: http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes711/711est50.html ) built to depict Mr. Tunick would be a good "expendable, first-flight-of-each-flying-session" wind-check rocket. :-) (The other [flyable] rocket on the above-linked 1971 catalog page, the Astron Birdie, would also make a nice Estes kit re-issue, for Mini Motors.)

blackshire
01-10-2018, 02:59 AM
A great idea for a night launch on July 4th....... :D
Make it an E12-5 instead so the ejection charge can ignite the hydrogen.....Hmmm...while I wouldn't want a Dude myself, you've inspired another type of recovery system...instead of boost-glider (B/G), we could have boost-floater (B/F) models, which would use mostly aerostatic lift (like a balloon or an airship), rather than aerodynamic lift (like a glider or an airplane). It might be like this:

A B/F model rocket might resemble the Dude, which was rather Zeppelin-shaped (or perhaps a lifting body airship, like the Aereon 26 "Deltoid Pumpkin Seed" shape [see: www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/the-rocky-road-to-discovery/72142/ ]), but would be heavier than air with its model rocket motor(s) installed. It could be designed to be neutrally buoyant--or very nearly so--when inflated with helium, becoming slightly buoyant (for a short length of time) due to the transmitted heat from an ejection charge (using a metal or ceramic heat transmission strip) and/or from the warm spent motor case. (A type of this model which retained its spent rocket motor or motors--instead of ejecting the motor(s) or a motor pod--would be a "rocket floater" [R/F].) With either variation, as the lifting gas cooled, the model would slowly descend. Also:

Even axis-symmetrical airships such as blimps and modern Zeppelins often fly with the aid of aerodynamic lift (by flying at a slightly nose-up angle, using the hull as an airfoil); in fact, blimps very commonly utilize an airplane-like running takeoff, flying with slightly negative aerostatic lift and using aerodynamic lift to fly level at altitude (the older Zeppelins used aerodynamic lift when necessary to compensate for rain or ice loads, once they were under way). A B/F model rocket of this configuration could also slowly glide down in this way.