PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Gyroc....?

BEC
12-30-2017, 01:11 AM
In poking around eRockets.biz looking at the discontinued Semroc stuff (see other threads for that discussion) I came across this: http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-gyroc-kv-94/

In the description it says "motor pod is steamer recovery". Really?

The Gyroc I remember (and I have a recent BMS clone as well) just ejected the motor.

Oh.....it uses 13mm motors. That would make room for a recovery system for a "motor pod". Hmmmmm.......

K'Tesh
12-30-2017, 06:55 AM
In poking around eRockets.biz looking at the discontinued Semroc stuff (see other threads for that discussion) I came across this: http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flying-model-rocket-kit-gyroc-kv-94/

In the description it says "motor pod is steamer recovery". Really?

The Gyroc I remember (and I have a recent BMS clone as well) just ejected the motor.

Oh.....it uses 13mm motors. That would make room for a recovery system for a "motor pod". Hmmmmm.......

The guys at eRockets/Semroc are working on a line of smaller inexpensive kits based on old classics. The're scaling back the motors to the smaller ones to improve odds of recovery. While losing rockets might drive up sales, it also likely drives up frustration, and people exiting the hobby.

Sheryl@Semroc
12-31-2017, 02:24 AM
The guys at eRockets/Semroc are working on a line of smaller inexpensive kits based on old classics. The're scaling back the motors to the smaller ones to improve odds of recovery. While losing rockets might drive up sales, it also likely drives up frustration, and people exiting the hobby.

K'Tesh, you're right. Carl wanted to make sure everyone (from new to experienced rocketeer) could find something from our site.

Royatl
12-31-2017, 04:32 PM

used to fly my Gyroc in the front yard back when 1/4A standard motors were plentiful and available. 1/2A standard is still available but not always and they don't have long enough delays (I fly my Golden Scouts on 1/2A3-4T in Estes plastic adapters. Next best thing). Flying a Gyroc on anything larger than A8 is asking for trouble.

BEC
12-31-2017, 11:58 PM
Flying a Gyroc on anything larger than A8 is asking for trouble.

Yeah, I think that's been my experience as well. I don't recall if I ever flew one on more than an A in my first rocketry period (late 1960s-early 1970s). I do remember taking one on a family vacation trip and flying it near Furnace Creek in Death Valley, but I don't remember what I used for a motor.

I will definitely have to get this reimagined version a try. And with a streamer on the motor pod, it's square with the NAR safety code in its current form.

PaulK
01-01-2018, 03:36 PM
<snip> And with a streamer on the motor pod, it's square with the NAR safety code in its current form.FWIW, the original Gyroc is flyable with the NAR safety code. The only restriction for model rockets kicking motors is in competition.

BEC
01-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Fair point. And I'm not likely to be competing in A Helicopter Duration with an original-design Gyroc - though it would be simpler and more reliable than a lot of other helicopter recovery models :D

tbzep
01-02-2018, 02:28 PM
Fair point. And I'm not likely to be competing in A Helicopter Duration with an original-design Gyroc - though it would be simpler and more reliable than a lot of other helicopter recovery models :D
It would make a decent spot landing bird. :cool:

Initiator001
01-02-2018, 11:34 PM
used to fly my Gyroc in the front yard back when 1/4A standard motors were plentiful and available. 1/2A standard is still available but not always and they don't have long enough delays (I fly my Golden Scouts on 1/2A3-4T in Estes plastic adapters. Next best thing). Flying a Gyroc on anything larger than A8 is asking for trouble.

My friend Marc McReynolds flies his Gyroc with D12s all the time...

Initiator001
01-02-2018, 11:35 PM
...Marc's Gyroc is a little bigger than the traditional kit. ;)

GuyNoir
01-03-2018, 07:46 AM

Bob, is that Gyroc BT-70 sized?

Initiator001
01-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Bob, is that Gyroc BT-70 sized?

It's BT-80.

Scott_650
01-03-2018, 05:28 PM
That’s awesome! And probably an easier build than an original - sometimes I think upscales are as much about my lousy eyesight as they are about the wow factor :chuckle:

SCooke123
02-19-2018, 01:12 AM
I remember flying my Gyroc in the late 60's - was great with the small engine but of course I had to try to send it way up there. Put a C engine in it and tore the wings off it.

LeeR
02-21-2018, 06:12 PM

That D-powered Gyroc is Gynormous ... :)

Zooming in on the picture, it looks like it might have replaceable nose cone tips? Is that the case? Seems like a good idea!

motley16
02-25-2018, 08:30 AM
That is sick. Gyroc is on my top 25 list of best kits. I have three in my collection.

GlenP
05-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Taking a break from my regular cardstock builds to work on this SEMROC Gyroc I ordered along with some Kevlar shock cord from eRockets. A few updates from the original kit I remember building as a kid.

13mm rear-eject engine through tube with streamer and the notched fins with rubber bands are new. Slots and tabs help align the vertical stabilizers on the main wing fins, and a handy jig to align the fins with a sanding guide for the edge angle on the flap retention tabs.

I am thinking of painting one side of this yellow and the other side blue to see if it appears green when spinning down. A few pictures of the build so far ...

GlenP
06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
one small modification: to reinforce the tabs for the rubber bands, I laminated some cardstock strips in between the slots. Probably not really needed, but this should help keep the tabs from splitting along the grain lines over time, hopefully. A drop of CA would probably do the trick just as well, but white glue smells better.

Yeah, I know, lots of sanding in my future. Would have been easier before assembly, but I will try to round off those leading edges.

UPDATE: a couple coats of sanding sealer, sanding, then yellow and blue coats, still leaves some grain showing through, but good enough, looks about like how I finished it the first time around, 1980's facecard inspired livery.

SCooke123
07-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Like the 2 - tone paint!