PDA

View Full Version : "And then there was light..."

Tau Zero
05-22-2005, 02:25 AM
I just tossed this together in Rocksim to unwind tonight. It wasn't until I was done that I realized I'd (unconsciously) stolen the general color scheme from the Centuri Tauruses? / Taurae? / Taruii? ...that Bill E. and Buzz N. ("Fishhead" and "Eagle3") posted pictures of (or links to pictures) on TRF (The Rocketry Forum).

Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list and donate this to a certain BarClone site. ;)

In the meantime, please drool at will, should you so desire.

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-22-2005, 03:15 AM
Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list...
Here you go:

1 BC-733 Nose cone
2 ST-73 Body tubes
2 CR-57 Centering ring - TR-7
1 ST-54 Body tube
1 BR-510 Transition - Balsa reducer
1 SE-10 Screw eye
1 EC-18 Elastic cord
1 SCK-24 Kevlar shock cord
1 ST-1080 Body tube
1 Engine block - TR-7
2 CR-710 Centering rings
1 EH-28 Engine hook, standard
1 Launch lug - LL-122
1 Parachute - CP-12
Custom fin set - 3/32" Balsa

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-22-2005, 03:26 AM
And yes, the ST-10 tube is now 8" long (as reflected in the parts list above), instead of 6" as shown in the original picture in the first post above.

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-22-2005, 07:09 AM
And yes, the ST-10 tube is now 8" long (as reflected in the parts list above), instead of 6" as shown in the original picture in the first post above.

...Maybe I'll cough up a Semroc parts list and donate this to a certain BarClone site. ..

--Jay

The aforementioned BARCLONE site would appreciate this very much! :)

If you can pack the RKT file into a ZIP, you can post it here, too. Then we can see how it flies before it flies... :D

Craig McGraw

CPMcGraw
05-22-2005, 07:14 AM
1 ST-73 Body tube
1 Engine block - TR-7
2 CR-710 Centering rings
1 EH-28 Engine hook, standard

For the sake of simplicity to those wanting to build this model, these components are available packaged as a SEMROC EM-710...

RockSIM doesn't know this, of course... :eek:

Craig McGraw

Doug Sams
05-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Jay wrote: I just tossed this together in Rocksim to unwind tonight. It wasn't until I was done that I realized I'd (unconsciously) stolen the general color scheme from the Centuri Tauruses...that Bill E. and Buzz N. posted pictures of (or links to pictures) on TRF...
Must be where I got my inspiration for this, so I'm guilty, too.

http://home.flash.net/~samily/core3/c3-niteloader3.jpg

The Pringles can rocekt (with forward BT-55) had been sitting in the probably-never-to-be-finished queue for nearly four years when I scored the uncommonly-sized 2.25" nosecone and forward tube. I shortened the BT-55, cut some rings, and made the two transitions from 1/64" ply. It will use the same interchangeable motor mounts as this rocket: http://home.flash.net/~samily/elenalou/

Since the pic was taken, I've added strakes to the BT-55 for rigidity. Here's a Rocksim file (sans strakes): http://home.flash.net/~samily/core3/Core3.rkt

I won't have it completely finished but I hope to fly it next weekend. (The rocket on the right is my Niteloader for next weekend's night launch.)

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Haven't had a night launch since 2001. Where will you mount your lights or glow sticks, or is that payload somewhat translucent? :confused:

Tau Zero
05-22-2005, 07:58 PM
The aforementioned BARCLONE site would appreciate this very much! :) Then... One Particular Rocketeer shall endeavour "to give pleasure," in the sense of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves of "Jeeves and Wooster" renown. ;)

If you can pack the RKT file into a ZIP, you can post it here, too. Then we can see how it flies before it flies... :DAh. *Excellent!* I tried to upload it (quite unsuccessfully) without ZIPping, so I'll "have another go, eh wot?" :D

Cheerio (Pip, pip!),

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-22-2005, 08:05 PM
For the sake of simplicity to those wanting to build this model, these components are available packaged as a SEMROC EM-710...

RockSIM doesn't know this, of course... :eek: And this particular RockSimmer (TM) :p apparently hasn't bothered to learn how to use subassemblies, either. :o

But you'll still need to order some extra TR-7 thrust rings/engine blocks (CR-57s). And you may need to add a strip of paper to "shim" the inside diameter, if you happen to get the "old" shipment of TR-7s. (Check with Carl McLawhorn, and tell him I sent you.) :cool:

Thanks, Craig!

Cheers,

--Jay :eek: (who happens to be especially tickled by this particular emoticon)

Doug Sams
05-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Bill asked: Where will you mount your lights or glow sticks, or is that payload somewhat translucent? Bill,
The payload section is indeed translucent. It's a plastic tube from a roll of plotter paper.

There will be 9 blinking LED's in the payload section - 3 red, 3 yellow and 3 green. The rocket will also have three incandescent bulbs externally mounted on the airframe. That way, in case of a separation, both ends are lighted.

The blinking LED's need about 6-6.5V. I wired them in series with regular LED's and connected them to a 9V alkaline. This works well, sorta like Christmas tree lights, with the blinker making the other lights in series blink, too.

One blinker in series with two regular LEDs in parallel are taped to a dowel inside the payload section forming a blinking ring of three LED's 120° apart. Three of these rings are stacked on the dowel with the 9V battery tie-wrapped to the bottom. The battery clip doubles as my on-off switch.

For the incandescent lights, I mounted three stand-offs on the airframe, then glued 2V flashlights bulbs into three spent motor cases - two 13's and an 18. The 18 includes a 6V battery and a screw switch. These will be wired in series then tie-wrapped to the stand-offs providing 3 aft-aimed lights.

My daughter Haley is flying a Quest Payloader One. It will have three white, high brightness LED's in the payload section. I had hoped to make the red tinted plastic payload section glow, but there's not enough room in the bay for the stack of LED's plus two AAA batteries. I thought about getting some of the small, 3V batteries (N size?), but I had a clear tube that could readily be cut to the necessary length to accomodate the AAA's.

Now I need to do some Rocksimming to figure out what motor-delay combos will work best in these puppies as well as finish painting them and rig the recovery harnesses.

For the NiteLoader, there's still room for glow sticks, too, but I probably won't use any.

Doug

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
I think Tony and I flew Estes HiJax rockets when we launched at night. We bought glow sticks that they used at "raves" back when that was popular. Got some neat pics, but the novelty wore off quick with only two people flying one rocket. I'd like to do a club launch like that, but we're somewhat restricted in use of the field after sundown.

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 12:37 AM
And this particular RockSimmer (TM) :p apparently hasn't bothered to learn how to use subassemblies, either. :o However, I appear to be more than capable of learning. :p

Here are the updated images, with the RockSim 8 file cleverly disguised in the latest in ZIP wear, which all the young, fashionable (read "hopelessly impressionable") Compression Archives are wearing... :rolleyes:

Last but not least, any feedback on this design prior to its submission to "The Attack of the BarClones" :eek: website is greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm starting to think I might be missing something by not being a part of the hip, happenin' RocSim crowd. Maybe I do need to download that demo, just so I can figure out what you guys are talking about.

CPMcGraw
05-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Here are the updated images, with the RockSim 8 file cleverly disguised in the latest in ZIP wear, which all the young, fashionable (read "hopelessly impressionable") Compression Archives are wearing... :rolleyes:

Last but not least, any feedback on this design prior to its submission to "The Attack of the BarClones" :eek: website is greatly appreciated. :D

Jay,

The RKT file looks fine, I'm running the sim as I type this...

A terribly wicked thought came to me as I started looking at the sim file: If we just added a booster... :eek:

For the record: I like it just as it is -- single stage. :)

Did you have anything in mind about decals for this bird?

Craig

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
1 BC-734 Nose coneSorry, that should be BC-*733.* Here's a side-by-side comparison:

BC-734:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=428

BC-733:
http://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=36

*Not* the same thing. :eek:

Apparently I got my measurements correct, but my part number wrong. :o

So if you've already downloaded the Rocksim file, just change the name BC-734 to BC-733. Yeah, I could upload the updated file, but I guess I'm just too stinkin' lazy to do that... yet. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
The RKT file looks fine, I'm running the sim as I type this...

A terribly wicked thought came to me as I started looking at the sim file: If we just added a booster... :eek: (ANNOUNCER'S VOICE) "Craig McGraw -- YORF's official Multi-Stage Addict." ;)

For the record: I like it just as it is -- single stage. :) *My* recurring thought today was (pause for effect) ..."175% Large Scale." :eek:

Did you have anything in mind about decals for this bird?Unfortunately, the color scheme I've chosen seems to scream for decals with significant amounts of white and silver. :p Drat and darn!

At the very least, I have a font I'll be using to print the name in a couple of different sizes. I may have to grab a cartoonist/computer animator friend of mine and see if he can make a finished drawing with the theme "Stealing Fire" (slightly "inside" mythology reference). :D

I *could* do some lame roll patterns, but... nah.

Again, any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 11:08 PM
When in doubt, go with flames. Flames rock.

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I'm starting to think I might be missing something by not being a part of the hip, happenin' RocSim crowd. Maybe I do need to download that demo, just so I can figure out what you guys are talking about.It'll run for 30 days, *and* at least you can save the files, if you want to change anything on them.

Although a 26MB download at dial-up speeds (~2 hours or so) just plain "steenks." :mad:

--Jay

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
When in doubt, go with flames. Flames rock.Or burn. :eek:

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 11:16 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is my inherent non-creative nature. I'm not much on doing my own thinking when I can have someone do it for me. Does this program come stocked with actual ideas, or do I have to supply my own? :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Or burn. :eek:

Even COOLER! Flaming CARE BEARS!!! (Pastel flames, of course.) :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
05-23-2005, 11:27 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is my inherent non-creative nature. I'm not much on doing my own thinking when I can have someone do it for me. Does this program come stocked with actual ideas, or do I have to supply my own? :D(heavy melodramatic sigh) Okay, *okay,* I'll e-mail you a bunch of my closely-guarded Rocksim files... if you ask *nicely.*

Okay, I guess you already did. Just lemme know when you're ready.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

(chuckling) :D

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 11:37 PM
That's not what I was angling for. I just don't know if I have a burning desire to design rockets as opposed to a burning desire to clone and build existing plans. I'm a pretty boring guy deep down. :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Then again, I DO like to look at pretty pictures. If you want someone ot critique your vision, I'm all about that. :D

Tau Zero
05-24-2005, 12:17 AM
That's not what I was angling for.I know. I was just pretending that you were actually stringing me along.

I just don't know if I have a burning desire to design rockets as opposed to a burning desire to clone and build existing plans. I'm a pretty boring guy deep down. (chuckling) Better down deep than on the surface. That way other folks don't catch on as fast.

Then again, I DO like to look at pretty pictures. If you want someone to critique your vision, I'm all about that. :DOkay. Any comments about this latest exorcism? :D

Craig seems to think the thing needs decals. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-24-2005, 12:23 AM
A triple-breasted, green-skinned cyclops? (Hmmm. Maybe that should be ORANGE skinned. Maybe in an old tractor color?)
Seriously, you're talking to the wrong guy to be asking artistic questions. I still think that a set of dual exhausts on a V-8 Duster is art. :confused:

CPMcGraw
05-24-2005, 12:07 PM
Craig seems to think the thing needs decals. :rolleyes:

Actually, the second dangerous thought about this rocket was to get Doug to come up with something Greek-related... ;)

Preferably something tame and "G" rated, not UNTAMED and in a G-String... :eek:

Craig...

Tau Zero
05-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Craig seems to think the thing needs decals. :rolleyes:Here's a picture with the font I've chosen for the name. Sorry, no logo or roll pattern.

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Here's a picture with the font I've chosen for the name. Sorry, no logo or roll pattern.

I like it, Jay.

Now, can you do this...

Send a TIF image of just that name decal, at 300 dpi and at the full-size that you want it to be on the rocket. Clip around the name image with only a little clear space around the edges [nothing fancy, just make it a rectangular decal a little taller and a little wider than the name itself].

I'll look around and see if I can find something Greek to match up with it. I'm thinking about a fin decal here. I'll throw in a shamefully gratuitous BARCLONE logo for good measure. :D Then, I'll "package" it all up and shoot the whole thing over to Scott.

Do you think we need any special instructions for this model? It really looks straightforward to build, maybe even qualifying as an upper Skill Level 1, borderline Skill Level 2.

Craig

Tau Zero
05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Send a TIF image of just that name decal, at 300 dpi and at the full-size that you want it to be on the rocket. Clip around the name image with only a little clear space around the edges [nothing fancy, just make it a rectangular decal a little taller and a little wider than the name itself].Yeah, I can do that. I just need to decide how big I want the name. ;) I was trying to figure out how to make a "halo" around the letters to help them stand out against the darker colors.

I'll look around and see if I can find something Greek to match up with it. I'm thinking about a fin decal here. I'll throw in a shamefully gratuitous BARCLONE logo for good measure. :D Then, I'll "package" it all up and shoot the whole thing over to Scott.I've been thinking in terms of a (left) human hand holding a flaming torch, with the flames trailing backward. Unfortunately, that seems to work on the right-hand side of the name, and not really so much for the fins, given their slightly unusual shape.

But I *am* likin' the idea of the gratuitous BARCLONE logo. ;)

Do you think we need any special instructions for this model? It really looks straightforward to build, maybe even qualifying as an upper Skill Level 1, borderline Skill Level 2.I can throw something together. It's not really complex (for those of us who are "Experienced" :cool: ), it's just a slightly unusual combination of pieces. And the Skill Level 1-2 rating is probably right on.

Well, I'd better get cracking. :D

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I can do that. I just need to decide how big I want the name.

I've been thinking in terms of a (left) human hand holding a flaming torch, with the flames trailing backward. Unfortunately, that seems to work on the right-hand side of the name, and not really so much for the fins, given their slightly unusual shape.

But I *am* likin' the idea of the gratuitous BARCLONE logo. ;)

I might suggest no more than 1.25" tall and 4.5" wide for the name decal. On a piece of ST-13, 1.25" is a little less than 1/3 the distance around the tube. That's plenty of height. Let the text fill a block this size without exceeding it. Keep in mind the decals everyone will probably be applying -- self-made decals. Large decals have a tendency to tear and break unless they're several layers thick. You also only need one of these...

For the fins, if you put the torch close to the root edge/leading edge area, then the flames can easily trail off toward the tip edge/trailing edge area. The effect works when the rocket is held horizontal instead of vertical. Many of the Estes rockets use this orientation for their fin decals, you know, so it wouldn't be "out of character" to do it this way. Use your "skew" and "distort" features to adjust the actual dimensions to the fin outline.

If you want the image on both sides of one fin (this is likely how I would have done it), or on facing sides of two fins, take that "left-hand" image and flip it 180 degrees horizontal. True, this makes it a "right hand", but this is just a model. Keep it simple, and it usually works best. Just don't put any text with the image until after you've flipped it... :D

The shamefully gratuitous BARCLONE logo is attached. :)

Craig

Tau Zero
05-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Keep in mind the decals everyone will probably be applying -- self-made decals. Large decals have a tendency to tear and break unless they're several layers thick. You also only need one of these... [SNIP]

If you want the image on both sides of one fin (this is likely how I would have done it), or on facing sides of two fins, take that "left-hand" image and flip it 180 degrees horizontal. True, this makes it a "right hand", but this is just a model. Keep it simple, and it usually works best. Just don't put any text with the image until after you've flipped it... :D

Craig,

Thanks for the pointers. Great minds think alike (or at least in the same circles), because I was thinking how simple it would be to "flip" the image once I got it into the computer. :) That, and how most people will be "building their own decals." :cool:

Unfortunately, I need to get real life out of the way before I can get to this. Having to pay bills with the end of the month looming in sight is a bit inconvenient, yes? :o

The shamefully gratuitous BARCLONE logo is attached. :)(Oriental voice) "Gratuitous though it is, shameful perhaps it is not." ;)

I especially liked the secret message discernable only by electron microscope: "By this time tomorrow, I'll rule the world!" "Well, okay. Good luck with that."

Oh, sorry. Apparently I've seen the commercial for the Sponge Bob Square Pants movie at least *once* too often.

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
05-28-2005, 07:16 AM
I especially liked the secret message discernable only by electron microscope: "By this time tomorrow, I'll rule the world!"

Jay,

Plankton's going to get you...

You missed the smaller one which reads "And if you can read this...I already DO!"...

Craig...

CPMcGraw
05-30-2005, 11:45 PM
I can throw something together. It's not really complex (for those of us who are "Experienced" :cool: ), it's just a slightly unusual combination of pieces. And the Skill Level 1-2 rating is probably right on.

Jay,

I'm working the plan up into a PDF form for you, with the fin template, alignment guide, and whatever decal patterns you decide on. This will cover the tedious, "step-by-step" hand-holding we always see in 'professional' plan sheets.

There's a few tweaks I've picked up concerning the motor mounts and attaching the Kevlar thread that RS doesn't touch, and I like to add these to all of my instructions. If you've read my other PDF plans, you know about the way I finish (try to finish would be more accurate...) models, so if you do things differently, let me know and I'll include your method instead.

Craig...

Tau Zero
06-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm working the plan up into a PDF form for you, with the fin template, alignment guide, and whatever decal patterns you decide on. This will cover the tedious, "step-by-step" hand-holding we always see in 'professional' plan sheets.Craig,

I downloaded your "Centuri Probe" PDF file, and (Ed Grimley voice), "I must say," ;) you've already got a pretty professional layout! :D I'll need to take a closer look, and get back to you with specific suggestions for the Prometheus design.

There's a few tweaks I've picked up concerning the motor mounts and attaching the Kevlar thread that RS doesn't touch, and I like to add these to all of my instructions. If you've read my other PDF plans, you know about the way I finish (try to finish would be more accurate...) models, so if you do things differently, let me know and I'll include your method instead.I would have made progress on the decal design last night, except for the fact that I got a package in the mail from SEMROC! :D ...and actually cut the body tubes, assembled the ersatz "payload bay," installed the engine mount and shock cord, and just generally had an amazingly good time. ;) :D

I (re-)discovered you need to mark the fin locations *before* you install the engine mount. :o

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
06-02-2005, 12:56 AM
I downloaded your "Centuri Probe" PDF file, and (Ed Grimley voice), "I must say," ;) you've already got a pretty professional layout! :D I'll need to take a closer look, and get back to you with specific suggestions for the Prometheus design.

Thanks. Glad you like the format. I'm tweaking that, too, in the Series III group... :D

I would have made progress on the decal design last night, except for the fact that I got a package in the mail from SEMROC! :D ...and actually cut the body tubes, assembled the ersatz "payload bay," installed the engine mount and shock cord, and just generally had an amazingly good time. ;) :D

Carl and Sheryl really know how to take otherwise grown adults and turn them into a bunch of overenergetic kids, don't they? :p

I (re-)discovered you need to mark the fin locations *before* you install the engine mount.

Picture confusion on my face here...

Depends on the design. A lot of times, I install the mount first to keep the tube from collapsing while I mark it, or sand it, or otherwise do something with it. That's one of the advantages of the full-size cardstock alignment guide. You just glue the guide sheet to a thicker piece of cardboard (I may not have mentioned that step in the sequence, I just started adding it to the new Series III plans...), remove the area inside the outline, trim off the "corners" at the root of each fin, and slide the whole thing down over the tube. Then, you just put the fin in place and glue it down. The guide will hold the fin exactly in position.

The instructions for the Centuri Probe do have the mounts in place before the fins are attached. The only really important thing to remember is attaching the Kevlar thread to the sustainer mount before gluing that into the tube. Kinda hard to do afterward... :rolleyes:

Craig...

CPMcGraw
06-02-2005, 01:06 AM

And this is why typing at 1 AM is not the wisest thing... :o

You were talking about "marking" the tube before installing the mount...

I had to mention it somewhere in the sequence. It's only important that you mark the tubes before attaching the fins... :D

Another one of those "difficult to do after the fact" steps... :rolleyes:

Craig...

Tau Zero
06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Carl and Sheryl really know how to take otherwise grown adults and turn them into a bunch of overenergetic kids, don't they? :p

(Austin Powers voice) "Yeah, baby, YEAH!" :D And I hope they keep up the good work for many years to come!

Jay wrote:
I (re-)discovered you need to mark the fin locations *before* you install the engine mount.

...and Craig responded:

Depends on the design.

*Or* (as I should have clarified) *if* you are using the traditional Centuri "tube cross section with fin lines" marking guide. :o It's hard to set the aft end of the outer body tube down flush on the circle when you have an engine hook protruding from the inner body tube. :eek:

That's one of the advantages of the full-size cardstock alignment guide. You just glue the guide sheet to a thicker piece of cardboard (I may not have mentioned that step in the sequence, I just started adding it to the new Series III plans...), remove the area inside the outline, trim off the "corners" at the root of each fin, and slide the whole thing down over the tube. Then, you just put the fin in place and glue it down. The guide will hold the fin exactly in position.

I'm thinking this would work nicely for a five-finned rocket (Vector-V), since my "old-school" plastic Estes Fin Alignment Guide ("jig") will only correctly align fins on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6-finned rockets. :o :mad:

The only really important thing to remember is attaching the Kevlar thread to the sustainer mount before gluing that into the tube. Kinda hard to do afterward... :rolleyes:

(scoffing) Shyeah. :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking this would work nicely for a five-finned rocket (Vector-V), since my "old-school" plastic Estes Fin Alignment Guide ("jig") will only correctly align fins on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6-finned rockets.

Although it uses six fins, check out the Ascender plan. I use a cardstock guide on this one, and it works quite well. The Vector-V would be even easier. Same principle.

If you glue some 6" (adjust the height to suit the rocket) balsa standoff posts to the guide, you can use it in combination with a SEMROC Rocket Rack to make the job even easier. The rocket rack holds the rocket straight, while the posts set the guide at just the right height without flopping around.

Craig

Carl@Semroc
06-03-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't think it takes THAT much with this group!

Tau Zero
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
CPMcGraw wrote:
Carl and Sheryl really know how to take otherwise grown adults and turn them into a bunch of overenergetic kids, don't they?

I don't think it takes THAT much with this group!Which just goes to show you have good source material (i.e., a "niche market") to begin with. :D

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-18-2005, 01:09 AM
*This* one has flames (just for Bill): :D :p

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon14/prometheus.html

--Jay

Tau Zero
01-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Here's a picture with the font I've chosen for the name.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=1099&postcount=28

Today I *finally* had a stretch of uninterrupted time *and* a hankering to mess with rockets. :cool: I marked the lower body tube for the fins and launch lug (well *after* installing the engine mount and Kevlar/elastic shock cord!), and managed to glue a couple of fins on (with a few hours inbetween to allow the glue to set up on the first one). [Figure 1.]

Just now, I spray painted the ersatz "payload" bay silver, and the nose cone "Centuri" (read "Krylon") orange. ;) :D [Figure 2.]

"Yeah, baby, YEAH!" :)

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Today I *finally* had a stretch of uninterrupted time *and* a hankering to mess with rockets. :cool: I marked the lower body tube for the fins and launch lug (well *after* installing the engine mount and Kevlar/elastic shock cord!), and managed to glue a couple of fins on (with a few hours inbetween to allow the glue to set up on the first one). [Figure 1.]

Just now, I spray painted the ersatz "payload" bay silver, and the nose cone "Centuri" (read "Krylon") orange. ;) :D [Figure 2.

"Yeah, baby, YEAH!" :)

Cheers,

--Jay

Looking forward to a full flight report, Jay. That color scheme ought to be quite visible, especially after touchdown...

Tau Zero
01-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Looking forward to a full flight report, Jay. That color scheme ought to be quite visible, especially after touchdown...I'm toying with the idea of using a red and white SEMROC chute, too... :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
01-02-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm toying with the idea of using a red and white SEMROC chute, too... :D :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay

Prometheus is on my list of "to do" models, Jay. It just "has the look" about it...

Classic colors...

Tau Zero
01-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Prometheus is on my list of "to do" models, Jay. It just "has the look" about it...... (chuckling) Glad you think so. Bill E. told me it gives off a "sci-fi" vibe... :D :cool:

Classic colors...The choices were subconscious. :eek: No, *really*... ;) :D

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
01-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Classic colors...I added the third fin and the launch lug to the lower tube tonight, and sprayed second coats on the nose cone and payload assembly. So plenty of paint on the top, ;) but not on the bottom. :(

Hence, the following virtual renditions :o from RockSim 8:

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I added the third fin and the launch lug to the lower tube tonight, and sprayed second coats on the nose cone and payload assembly. So plenty of paint on the top, ;) but not on the bottom. :(

Hence, the following virtual renditions :o from RockSim 8:

Cheers,

--Jay

Like minds think alike, and sometimes act... well, similar, anyway...:D

I was working up the BARCLONE Streak last night, applying fins, listening to some ON-J on the CD...

Maybe a future upgrade to the BARCLONE site would be a "Builder's Showcase" page to show photos of "live" models. Prometheus would fit in well...

Tau Zero
01-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Like minds think alike, and sometimes act... well, similar, anyway...:D

I was working up the BARCLONE Streak last night, applying fins, listening to some ON-J on the CD...During the last week, "Power Windows" by Rush has been making plenty of revolutions in my CD player. Last night was no exception. :D ;) :cool:

Maybe a future upgrade to the BARCLONE site would be a "Builder's Showcase" page to show photos of "live" models. Prometheus would fit in well...That's an excellent idea... which just means I have to "get cracking," doesn't it? :o

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
01-03-2006, 10:57 PM
That's an excellent idea... which just means I have to "get cracking," doesn't it? :o

You and me, both! I've got a few here that have been looking dirty at me, wondering why they haven't flown yet, or even been photographed...:eek:

Guess I've been "Tied Up" with "Something Better To Do" too often...:rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-03-2006, 11:17 PM
We've been busy with the final cleaning out of the old house, but I've also been squeezing some building in lately. I spent an hour or so on New Years Eve working on the Cosmik Debris fins, and I'm hoping to find some time to affix them this weekend. Other than that I also hope to fly the following at the next Quark launch next weekend:
Upscale Missile Toe
Upscale Zoom Broom
1:1 Zoom Broom
1:1 Missile Toe
1:1 Cloud Hopper
1:1 Star Snoop
Semroc Mark II
SLS Vector V
I'm sure there are others. This is just off the top of my head. :rolleyes: :cool:

Patriot Pilot
01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
We've been busy with the final cleaning out of the old house, but I've also been squeezing some building in lately. I spent an hour or so on New Years Eve working on the Cosmik Debris fins, and I'm hoping to find some time to affix them this weekend. Other than that I also hope to fly the following at the next Quark launch next weekend:
Upscale Missile Toe
Upscale Zoom Broom
1:1 Zoom Broom
1:1 Missile Toe
1:1 Cloud Hopper
1:1 Star Snoop
Semroc Mark II
SLS Vector V
I'm sure there are others. This is just off the top of my head. :rolleyes: :cool:

That will be 4 bad ejections.
2 tangled chutes.
1 lawn dart.
1 perfect flight that sails over the road.
And there is nothing on the top of your head, your BALD! :D :D :p

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
That will be 4 bad ejections.
2 tangled chutes.
1 lawn dart.
1 perfect flight that sails over the road.
And there is nothing on the top of your head, your BALD! :D :D :p

Ladies and gentlemen, Steve Carr with his classic "The Four Launches Of Christmas". (You forgot the 3, Steve.)

Tau Zero
01-04-2006, 11:08 PM
You and me, both! I've got a few here that have been looking dirty at me, wondering why they haven't flown yet, or even been photographed...:eek:

Guess I've been "Tied Up" with "Something Better To Do" too often...:rolleyes:Or as Bill Eichelberger asked me,

"So. You *admit* you've been seeing other hobbies..." :eek: :o

--Jay

Ltvscout
01-05-2006, 07:34 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Steve Carr with his classic "The Four Launches Of Christmas". (You forgot the 3, Steve.)
Ya, I thought you were supposed to shoot down the partridge in the pear tree also!

Patriot Pilot
01-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, but if you would have listed 10 rockets it would have worked.
Nine would have worked also. I could have finished off with a bald joke. ;) :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
01-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Maybe a future upgrade to the BARCLONE site would be a "Builder's Showcase" page to show photos of "live" models. Prometheus would fit in well...Today I glued the orange nose cone to the silver payload section, and painted the lower body tube using Krylon "Classic Gray." I was hoping to get a darker gray, which looks like I'll need to see if my local Fred Meyer (i.e., "Krylon supplier") has a can of "Smoke Gray," which appears to be somewhat darker than my present spray can.

Then, the two "lower" fins will get some black gloss, while the "upper" (dorsal) fin is targeted for silver (to provide contrast for a festive decal on both sides).

The latest pics are attached below. :D

Cheers,

--Jay

P.S. Bill and Craig: Is it just me, or does the "real thing" look different than most any other rocket you've seen? :eek: :cool:

P.P.S. Craig: For the YORP .PDF file, notice how I had to put the launch lug and engine lock/hook at 60 degree angles from the fins. Usually if I have a symmetrical 4-fin design, I'll just put the LL halfway between 2 fins, with the EL/H 180 degrees opposite.

CPMcGraw
01-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Today I glued the orange nose cone to the silver payload section...

Good progress. Prometheus appears to be coming along nicely. First flight ought to be this weekend, right?:) :rolleyes:

P.S. Bill and Craig: Is it just me, or does the "real thing" look different than most any other rocket you've seen? :eek: :cool:

To me, it looks like it would have fit into the Estes catalog lineup during the late 70s to mid 80s. Maybe as a carry-over from Centuri. Prometheus doesn't have a bunch of breakable bits like some of Estes' later offerings, but it has a "Spartan hint" of Sci-Fi flavoring...:cool:

A rocket called "The Real Thing"... A flying Coke Bottle... Hmmnnn...:eek:

P.P.S. Craig: For the YORP .PDF file, notice how I had to put the launch lug and engine lock/hook at 60 degree angles from the fins. Usually if I have a symmetrical 4-fin design, I'll just put the LL halfway between 2 fins, with the EL/H 180 degrees opposite.

I don't have the LL and the EH aligned yet in the PDF, but that's something I can correct. Would you rather the PDF show the LL and EH aligned together, 180 from the top fin? Or do you specifically want them aligned as you have them in the photo?

Tau Zero
01-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Good progress. Prometheus appears to be coming along nicely. First flight ought to be this weekend, right? :rolleyes: The fields are a little soggy here this week, and we're expecting snow the next two days. So, in a word, *no.* :(

To me, it looks like it would have fit into the Estes catalog lineup during the late 70s to mid 80s. Maybe as a carry-over from Centuri. Prometheus doesn't have a bunch of breakable bits like some of Estes' later offerings, but it has a "Spartan hint" of Sci-Fi flavoring...:cool: :D Thanks!

A rocket called "The Real Thing"... A flying Coke Bottle... Hmmnnn...:eek: Actually, it's Already Been Done... :eek: :cool: by one Robert Galejs in DesCon 8:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/descon8/bottle_rocket.html

I don't have the LL and the EH aligned yet in the PDF, but that's something I can correct. Would you rather the PDF show the LL and EH aligned together, 180 from the top fin? Or do you specifically want them aligned as you have them in the photo?Let's do it the way it's shown in the photo. :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Any further paint progress pictures? I should have several more later this week. :cool:

CPMcGraw
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Let's do it the way it's shown in the photo.

OK. EH and LL not aligned together, but 120 degrees apart...

Will do...

Tau Zero
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM
... with apologies to Procol Harum

Any further paint progress pictures?With the MLK holiday, it was a slow "news day" at work, which meant I was able to slip over to Fred Meyer, and they *did* have cans of "Smoke Gray" Krylon in stock. :D :cool:

Then I slipped home for lunch and sprayed a coat of the "newer, darker gray" on the lower section of the Prometheus. (Note the A/B side-by-side comparison below.) That's *exactly* the shade of gray I was looking for. :D

I should have several more later this week. :cool:(tapping foot impatiently) Okay, where are they? (realizing) Oh, I have to *wait.* *Now* I get it...

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-17-2006, 12:10 AM
... with apologies to Procol Harum

With the MLK holiday, it was a slow "news day" at work, which meant I was able to slip over to Fred Meyer, and they *did* have cans of "Smoke Gray" Krylon in stock. :D :cool:

Then I slipped home for lunch and sprayed a coat of the "newer, darker gray" on the lower section of the Prometheus. (Note the A/B side-by-side comparison below.) That's *exactly* the shade of gray I was looking for. :D

(tapping foot impatiently) Okay, where are they? (realizing) Oh, I have to *wait.* *Now* I get it...

Cheers,

--Jay

So, you and your rocket had a "nooner", eh?
As for my pics, they're taken, but not downloaded. The 1:1 Star Snoop, upscale Missile Toe and fully decaled Q-Modeling Rogue. I bought a bunch of retro decals from Excelsior last month when I bought the cluster mounts for the next wave of big Goonys. I think I might use some of them to dress up the Semroc Micron a little, so I may have that ready to go also.
It really killed me not to be able to fly this weekend. Sunday was beautiful and today was better. :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
01-17-2006, 11:13 AM
...Then I slipped home for lunch and sprayed a coat of the "newer, darker gray" on the lower section of the Prometheus. (Note the A/B side-by-side comparison below.) That's *exactly* the shade of gray I was looking for. :D

Much better contrast between the upper and lower sections.

Just needs those decals, now...:D

CPMcGraw
01-17-2006, 11:29 AM
It really killed me not to be able to fly this weekend. Sunday was beautiful and today was better. :rolleyes:

Here in the balmy South, the wind was up this weekend; today it is raining, the temperature is dropping, and I'm stuck with another lingering cold bug that just makes me icky all over. (Technical term -- ICKY. Means feeling generally blech and urrgghhh from head to foot...)

The up-side to all of this nastiness is I was able to get the building done on my SEMROC Recruiter and ARCON, and BARCLONE Lynx and Clipper. It's good therapy...:rolleyes:

Tau Zero
01-17-2006, 11:52 PM
OK. EH and LL not aligned together, but 120 degrees apart...

Will do...Attaboy, Craig. ;) :D

BTW, thanks for your (offlist) submission. :cool:

Cheers,

--Jay