PDA

View Full Version : Opening attachments in new window?

rocketguy101
05-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I ran a search on this and did not find an answer. Is there a setting somewhere that will force attachments to open in a new window? I know I can press "shift"-select and it will open in a new window (running IE), but sometimes I forget, and hit the "X" to close the window and loose the thread I was viewing.

Other forums seem to have this set by default (not sure if you can turn it off LOL), so I get into a habit of closing the window rather than hitting "Back". Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but inquiring minds want to know ;)

CPMcGraw
05-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I ran a search on this and did not find an answer. Is there a setting somewhere that will force attachments to open in a new window? I know I can press "shift"-select and it will open in a new window (running IE), but sometimes I forget, and hit the "X" to close the window and loose the thread I was viewing.

Other forums seem to have this set by default (not sure if you can turn it off LOL), so I get into a habit of closing the window rather than hitting "Back". Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but inquiring minds want to know ;)

I think I understand what you're looking for. You need a TABBED browser, like IE7, or Mozilla, or a "skin" program like SlimBrowser. This way you can open the attachments (images mostly) in a new tab separate from the main thread.

Do a Goole search on "SlimBrowser". It's available from FlashPeak, and it's a free download. I've been using it for over three years and like it a lot better than "standard" Internet Explorer.

rocketguy101
05-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks Craig, I hoping more for some setting w/ the Forum that would open in a new window (if desired). When I click on a link in a post on TRF, it opens in a new window. I was just wondering if there was a setting here, and I am just missing it.

Ltvscout
05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks Craig, I hoping more for some setting w/ the Forum that would open in a new window (if desired). When I click on a link in a post on TRF, it opens in a new window. I was just wondering if there was a setting here, and I am just missing it.
It works that way in TRF because they're running the old, clunky version of vBulletin. In the new version(s) of vBulletin it works the way you are now seeing here. There is now way to make it open in a separate window with the new versions, I checked.

Even my version of VB is old by today's standards. I'm running version 3.0.7 and they are now at v3.6.6.

Ltvscout
05-13-2007, 02:11 PM
I take that back. If you go into your control panel and go to the Thread Display Options, there's a checkmark for Display Images. If you remove that checkmark it may work the way you want. It's worth a shot at least. You won't see inline images anymore though for sure, and you may or may not see thumbnails. Test it out and let me know how it works for you. You can always turn it back on if it's not what you wanted.

rocketguy101
05-13-2007, 03:22 PM
It just turned off the thumbnails. When I click on the link, it still opens in the same window. Oh, well I will just try to remember to "shift"-click.

Thx

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm running version 3.0.7 and they are now at v3.6.6.

You know what's next!? v3.6.6.6, the ANTI-VB!
Be afraid. Be very afraid. :eek:

rocketguy101
07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
It works that way in TRF because they're running the old, clunky version of vBulletin.

OK, they upgraded, and the behavior w/ opening attachments and links still opens in a separate window. Over here, I still occasionally hit the close button and shut down the whole IE session grrrrrrrr.

JRThro
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
OK, they upgraded, and the behavior w/ opening attachments and links still opens in a separate window. Over here, I still occasionally hit the close button and shut down the whole IE session grrrrrrrr.
And in Firefox, which I use, attachments at TRF open in separate tabs. That is a behavior that I've decided I prefer to the way things work here at YORF.

rocketguy101
07-10-2007, 05:32 PM
And in Firefox, which I use, attachments at TRF open in separate tabs. That is a behavior that I've decided I prefer to the way things work here at YORF.

IE7 opens in a separate tab too, and yes that is preferred for me too. In fact Rocketry Planet works the same way, so 2/3 forums I regularly visit work one way and YORF is different, which why I get frustrated because I shut down the session.

Ltvscout
07-10-2007, 09:47 PM
IE7 opens in a separate tab too, and yes that is preferred for me too. In fact Rocketry Planet works the same way, so 2/3 forums I regularly visit work one way and YORF is different, which why I get frustrated because I shut down the session.
Ok, ok. Check it out now. Is that what you guys wanted?

I'm going to make a poll for a show of hands to see who likes the thumbnail images opened in a new window and who likes them opened in the same window.

As I orginally stated, the old vBulletin that TRF was running opened images in a new window by default. The newer version 3.0.7 that I run removed that setting from the hardcoded template. It wasn't a "setting" I could turn on or off, I had to go in and edit a postbit template to add back in the target="_blank" that was removed from this newer version. Now, TRF and Rocketry Planet are currently running newer versions of VB than I am. TRF has the newest version, 3.6.7 and RP has version 3.5.4. Either those newer versions put that code back into the postbit template, or, they manually added it back in themselves.

rocketguy101
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
LTV
Yes, this is the behavior I was expecting--I noticed it on another thread and thought "Cool!" and came over here to post, finding your post that the mod had been made.

So this can't be a user pref that we check in our CP settings? Bummer. I like the new window for the reasons I listed.

Thanks. If the majority says "go back", then I'll go along, but grudgingly :rolleyes:

CPMcGraw
07-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I like the new window (new tab) method. Makes it easier to switch between the images and the message text...

James Pierson
07-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Scott,
will it make a difference when posting Rocksim images that are restricted to 620x280? I have always wanted to post bigger 3D images with higher resolution. That is hard to do when you are restricted to 620x280 and 21 KB.

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Ltvscout
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Scott,
will it make a difference when posting Rocksim images that are restricted to 620x280? I have always wanted to post bigger 3D images with higher resolution. That is hard to do when you are restricted to 620x280 and 21 KB.
It has nothing to do with filesize what I did. What is the extension used on the files you're talking about?