PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day weekend

A Fish Named Wallyum
05-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Three day weekends ROCK! Anyone else got a launch planned? The Tuesday forecast for Saturday doesn't look too promising, but things have been known to change frequently and without warning around here in the spring. I still have a boatload of rockets that need flying, and from the looks of things, I'll have at least two more come Saturday. I built one of the Big Dawg kits that I got from CrazyApe and I think I'll make enough progress on the big Atlantis and the Defender to at least get them launched. Add that to a couple of MPC kits and a couple of Goonys and I should have a busy day.

CPMcGraw
05-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Three day weekends ROCK! Anyone else got a launch planned? The Tuesday forecast for Saturday doesn't look too promising, but things have been known to change frequently and without warning around here in the spring.

The weather forcast here in Mobile is suggesting rain for Saturday. Not really sure for Sunday.

If the sky doesn't fall, I hope to get in a few flights...

Craig

six-o-one
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Yep, I'm hoping to get some up this weekend. Ready for the maiden flight of my Vigilante remake, and hope for better conditions so I can put the Navaho AGM up on C's. Anything over 5 mph winds and you can't put the Navaho up B-to-B or C-to-C, too light with too much altitude. Of course, the Cherokee-D (yes, plain ole single "D", not yet up to speed with the "DD" crowd) will fly along with the Harpoon AGM. Still trying to get a non-arcing flight out of the Harpoon. Heck, may even fly the old Bullpup 12D just to round out the fleet. To those who fly this weekend, may your flights be true, the winds be light, and let's not forget those parachutes working.

ShieldWolf
05-25-2005, 02:26 PM
The forecast for the next several days includes thunderstorms, with the chance that some will be severe. Looks like I'll be building, not flying. Oh well, that's my favorite part anyway. :cool:

Randal

CPMcGraw
05-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Anything over 5 mph winds and you can't put the Navaho up B-to-B or C-to-C, too light with too much altitude. Of course, the Cherokee-D (yes, plain ole single "D", not yet up to speed with the "DD" crowd) will fly.

Build yourself an 18mm-to-24mm adapter and fly that Cherokee-D on a C6. You'll be surprised at the actual performance.

That's how I have to fly mine at the neighborhood school yard.

Fly the Navaho single-stage on an A8 or B4. If we had 13mm boosters, I'd suggest using those. I agree, this is a very light design.

Craig...

six-o-one
05-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Yeah, once I have my newest Cherokee-D done to be my centerpiece (just love this rocket) and flown once, I will feel more like modifying this one. Of course, motor adapter is not exactly a modification, but I just love the "D" motor flights this rocket puts up--straight, with real nice altitude without disappearing. My local field is plenty big enough as long as the wind isn't blowing towards the trees (famous last words, huh).

On the other hand, I am anxious to fly that Navaho again on Bs also. It's first 2-stage launch on Bs was about half an hour before dark, and it just disappeared into the blue sky. Wonder if a launch with more daylight will allow me to track it better. Of course, Cs will put it out of sight regardless, but gotta admit, I want to do it at least once or twice.

CPMcGraw
05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
...I am anxious to fly that Navaho again on Bs also. It's first 2-stage launch on Bs was about half an hour before dark, and it just disappeared into the blue sky. Wonder if a launch with more daylight will allow me to track it better. Of course, Cs will put it out of sight regardless, but gotta admit, I want to do it at least once or twice.

Swap out the parachute(s) with a streamer. It will probably come down horizontal, since it's so light...

Craig