PDA

View Full Version : Estes Parachute Protector

shockwaveriderz
06-11-2007, 07:35 PM
I am looking for what I beleive to be an estes order form from the early 60's..circa 1960-1965. Its my understanding that these order forms have printed on them a 'cut-out" for a parachute wrapper/protector.... If anybody has a 65 Handbook of Modle Rocketry or later you can probably see a diagram of what I think first appeared on the estes order form. If you have an old estes order form that has this outline on it, please scan and email me a copy and or post it here.

tia

Terry Dean

Ltvscout
06-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I am looking for what I beleive to be an estes order form from the early 60's..circa 1960-1965. Its my understanding that these order forms have printed on them a 'cut-out" for a parachute wrapper/protector.... If anybody has a 65 Handbook of Modle Rocketry or later you can probably see a diagram of what I think first appeared on the estes order form. If you have an old estes order form that has this outline on it, please scan and email me a copy and or post it here.
Actually, it was printed on the paper instructions included in the tubes of motors. I especially got a kick out of the stereotypical Chinese guy drawing the instructions had on them as well. :D

shockwaveriderz
06-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Actually, it was printed on the paper instructions included in the tubes of motors. I especially got a kick out of the stereotypical Chinese guy drawing the instructions had on them as well. :D

scott, thanks for that. regardless of where it appeared, if you have a cvopy please send me a scan.

tia

Terry Dean
nar 16158

Ltvscout
06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
scott, thanks for that. regardless of where it appeared, if you have a cvopy please send me a scan.
I do, but it's literally buried. You'd have to see my basement to understand what I mean. I would bet there's someone else on the forum that has one as well that can get it scanned for us. It would be years before I found it in this mess. :o

Gus
06-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Terry,

I think I might have one I can scan and send.

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Gus

shockwaveriderz
06-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Terry,

I think I might have one I can scan and send.

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Gus

it would much appreciated Gus if you do have one.

tia

Terry Dean
NAR 16158

Gus
06-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Terry,

It turns out I don't have what you are looking for, sorry. I do have Red Tube motors and their instruction sheets (with the picture of the Chinaman :o ), but these instructions do not have any parachute protector printed on them. By the time these motors were produced Estes must have been selling wadding because the instructions include the following:

PREPARING FOR LAUNCHING: Always double-check the recovery system of your model before launching. Parachute and streamer recovered models should have enough wadding between the engine and recovery system to prevent scorching the parachute or streamer and assure positive ejection. Usually the wadding should fill the tube for a distance of at least 1-1/2 body tube diameters.

Can you give us a page number from the Handbook of Model Rocketry showing the diagram you're interested in?

Maybe an email to Dale Windsor (http://jdwindsor.net/Rocketry/Motors.html) would be worthwhile since he has such an extensive collection of motors.

Gus

shockwaveriderz
06-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Gus:

will do. thanks for looking!

terry dean
nar 16158

barone
06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
My blue-tubes instructions from '70 doesn't have the protector printed on it. My copy of the handbook has a diagram of the parachute protector on page 43.....

Ltvscout
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM
My blue-tubes instructions from '70 doesn't have the protector printed on it. My copy of the handbook has a diagram of the parachute protector on page 43.....
No, that was only printed on early to possibly mid 60's motor instructions.

shockwaveriderz
06-14-2007, 09:27 PM
No, that was only printed on early to possibly mid 60's motor instructions.

scott is correct. This parachute protector outline was a cutout that only appeared from approx 1960-65. And yes I have also seen the diagram in the Handbook of Model Rocketry 65 edition... but I really need the instruction sheet version .

thanks to all

terry dean
nar 16158

mojo1986
06-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Scott, are you sure the protector pattern was printed on a set of engine instructions? I went through all of mine back to my oldest version which appears to have been printed on an old mimeograph machine and predates zip codes (with an Estes telephone number reference as SU4-6345) and none of them has a pattern for a 'chute protector. Not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall seeing the pattern on an engine instructions sheet. Any additional info you can supply on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Joe