PDA

View Full Version : BBZ balsa thickness?

foose4string
06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Can someone tell me what the fin stock thickness should be on the Blue Bird Zero? 3/32" or 1/8"? Looks like it could go either way. Thanks.

Tau Zero
06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Can someone tell me what the fin stock thickness should be on the Blue Bird Zero? 3/32" or 1/8"? Looks like it could go either way. Thanks.Craig,

The RockSim file at EMRR by Roger Banks (based on info from JimZ) lists the fin thickness as 1/8":

http://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/searchall.cgi?Blue+Bird+Zero

I couldn't get to the JimZ website for some reason just now. Additionally, the reviews at EMRR don't list the fin stock thickness. :(

There ya go! Anybody else?

Cheers,

foose4string
06-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Luckily, I downloaded the plans a while ago, but I don't see any mention of it. Thanks for the EEMR links. I only thought to check the Estes reviews, which obviously there are none. 1/8 inch sounds good, 3/32 looked a little flimsy for a bird this size(but would be a light), but I want to be sure I get the right specs for the original before I start.

John Brohm
06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Can someone tell me what the fin stock thickness should be on the Blue Bird Zero? 3/32" or 1/8"? Looks like it could go either way. Thanks.

The fin stock for #1335 Blue Bird Zero is 3/32" (both the upper and lower fin set). Best of luck with your repro; don't forget to update us with photos.

foose4string
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
The fin stock for #1335 Blue Bird Zero is 3/32" (both the upper and lower fin set). Best of luck with your repro; don't forget to update us with photos.

Are you sure about that John??? I cut them out and glued them on, and I gotta tell ya, they feel real flimsy. I may paper the fins to help stiffen them up. I think I should have used 1/8" stock, regardless of what the original might have had.

Royatl
07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Are you sure about that John??? I cut them out and glued them on, and I gotta tell ya, they feel real flimsy. I may paper the fins to help stiffen them up. I think I should have used 1/8" stock, regardless of what the original might have had.

3/32". Measured a few moments ago from my original.

3/32" (without paper) is plenty. Over the past 27 years the fins have survived two catoes and three chute-less landings, five moves, and many transports to and from fields. It even mostly survived the onslaught of my cat, who decided many years ago that the fins might taste good.

John Brohm
07-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Are you sure about that John??? ...

Yes.

Keep us posted on your progress; best of luck.

foose4string
07-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Ok then, I'll let it ride. I really didn't want to laminate them anyway, since they've already been coated with filler. Guess I'll finish sanding and start painting this bad boy.

That's quite a testimonial Roy! :)

Thanks John!

John Brohm
07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Ok then, I'll let it ride. I really didn't want to laminate them anyway, since they've already been coated with filler. Guess I'll finish sanding and start painting this bad boy.

That's quite a testimonial Roy! :)

Thanks John!

My pleasure.

Since you're approaching the paint stage, have you decided on the shade of blue? Something dark? Something light?

foose4string
07-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Before I started building I thought I wanted more of a Baby or Sky Blue, which I have in Rustoleum, but I'm really trying to avoid Rustoleum these days. The very first BBZ I laid eyes on as a kid was painted that way, and it looked sharp. I also have Krylon "True Blue" which may ultimately win out in the end.

Royatl
07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
or you can do like I did and use Candy Flake Purple!

BCFPZ !!

foose4string
08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Yes.

Keep us posted on your progress; best of luck.

Finished it today. Decals by Excelsior.

DaveR
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
BBZ was always one of my favorite kits. Nice job!!

Vanel
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Very nice job! :D

foose4string
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks, can't wait to fly it!