PDA

View Full Version : Scout Troop 941/Challenger 498 Club Launch @ Rushing Park Today

dwmzmm
08-04-2007, 04:45 PM
We had our big launch with the Scout Troop 941 along with the Challenger 498 Section today
at Rushing Park in far west Houston, Katy, TX. Fortunately, there was no rain to make us
scrub this time! The Scout Troop 941 are from Fulshear, TX (also far west Houston, more like
a rural area) and had asked us to help their kids with the Space Exploration badge for their
program.

We had a nice turnout of Troop/Pack 941 (along with their parents & Scout leaders) and had
four from Challenger 498 that assisted and also flew some models. The leaders of the Scout
Troop 941 are Johnny Moreno & Crystal McGill. They were so excited with the festivities of
the launches today that they want to do more!

I was able to get (finally) several of my classic scale models up; these include the Centuri
Mercury Redstone & 1/100 Saturn - V, and the PDRocketry's Gemini Titan - 3 models. All
three flew extremely well and performed as designed. John Thro, also a Challenger 498 club
member, was present and flew his Odssey and a pop-pod B/G several times. Chris Coffin was
there with his daughter and flew his Aerotech Mustang, but mostly did a lot of assisting of the youngsters and their parents on the finer points of prepping and launching model rockets. Without further ado, I'll post some pics that you all might be interested in:

dwmzmm
08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
More pics for the first post above:

dwmzmm
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
And the last batch of pics I have for this thread:

Shreadvector
08-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Was there any effort to record first timers and hand out certificates?

http://www.nar.org/2006/08/nars_50th_birthday_celebration.php

dwmzmm
08-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Was there any effort to record first timers and hand out certificates?

http://www.nar.org/2006/08/nars_50th_birthday_celebration.php

While glancing throught the NAR Sections Yahoo Groups website last night, I came across
the "50,000" program postings made recently. I completely forgot about that, but not
to worry, as I can easily get the names of all the boys who flew and get the certificates for
them. I think only about 15 or so were present, and most flew two or three times each (not
counting the Challenger club members who were on hand to assist and also fly their models,
too). This group of Scouts and their adult leaders/parents definitely want to be in on our
future launches. I already explained to one of the leaders about the NAR and TARC. So, we'll
see what happens....

Shreadvector
08-07-2007, 07:48 AM
While glancing throught the NAR Sections Yahoo Groups website last night, I came across
the "50,000" program postings made recently. I completely forgot about that, but not
to worry, as I can easily get the names of all the boys who flew and get the certificates for
them. I think only about 15 or so were present, and most flew two or three times each (not
counting the Challenger club members who were on hand to assist and also fly their models,
too). This group of Scouts and their adult leaders/parents definitely want to be in on our
future launches. I already explained to one of the leaders about the NAR and TARC. So, we'll
see what happens....

Just to be clear (because of the comment about "most flew two or three times each"), the number to be reported is the number of first time ever Model Rocket flyers, not the number of flights they made in total.

Thanks!

dwmzmm
08-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Just to be clear (because of the comment about "most flew two or three times each"), the number to be reported is the number of first time ever Model Rocket flyers, not the number of flights they made in total.

Thanks!

Understood; got it!