PDA

View Full Version : Estes X-15 Voluntary Recall

Ltvscout
08-07-2007, 08:15 AM
I found this information over on TRF (http://www.rocketryforum.com). I thought it may be of interest to the users here. The following is a message from Estes Customer Service:

Hi,

We are offering a voluntary recall on the X15. Please allow us to replace the rocket. You may choose from any of the following list of rockets. These are equivalent in price and value. To obtain a replacement send your X-15 rocket to us at Estes Industries, 1295 "H" Street, Penrose, CO 81240 in an envelope or small box.

You choices are:

Ready to Fly E2X
#1894 Sky Hawker and #886 Gnome or

E2X
#1327 AstroCam
#2027 Pop Fly
#2186 Eagle Boost Glider

Skill level One
#0651 Der Red Max
#1948 Big Bertha
#2145 Porta Pot Shot

Skill Level Two
#2146 Rock-it Stone Age Flyer

Skill Level Three
#2109 Renegade

Thank you,

Sandra

Chas Russell
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I have one or two in storage. The one I fly is an early purchase. Could they have moved production? Anyway, the one I fly was modified with a real cardboard motor tube epoxied in with the retention device used to align it. I also put in a kevlar shock cord and a thin mil ripstop nylon parachute. I have not had any problems with flying the X-15, although another one drag racing with me did go squirrelly.

I think the recall is a good thing for the modeling community and Estes. It is too bad that Joe Consumer doesn't know where to look to get this information.

Chas

Shreadvector
08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I have one or two in storage. The one I fly is an early purchase. Could they have moved production? Anyway, the one I fly was modified with a real cardboard motor tube epoxied in with the retention device used to align it. I also put in a kevlar shock cord and a thin mil ripstop nylon parachute. I have not had any problems with flying the X-15, although another one drag racing with me did go squirrelly.

I think the recall is a good thing for the modeling community and Estes. It is too bad that Joe Consumer doesn't know where to look to get this information.

Chas

A follow up post to the thread i started on TRF said that when they tried to buy one at Wal-mart the computer refused to allow the sale to go through. I have seen the recall efforts at Wal-Mart when I visited a few stores early in the day on a "vacation day" from work. The store staff gets an urgent e-mail or fax and must post the signs on the shelf to warn consumers who may have bought recalled items. They also pull all the recalled items.

I saw this for the Estes electric planes that got recalled.

Expect a recall notice on the Estes website in the near future.

mojo1986
08-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Does anyone know what the kit number or product number is for the recalled kit?

Joe

jadebox
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Does anyone know what the kit number or product number is for the recalled kit?

Estes X-15 Ready to Fly Rocket (ES-1890)

I'm not going to return mine. It's a reissue of the Cox RTF X-15 that I lost along with some Knickerbocker stuffed toys and a set of Jarts when someone rear-ended our Pinto back in the 1970s.

http://www.payloadbay.com/gallery/v/rock/2006-10-07-ROCK-Launch/2006-10-07+ROCK+Launch+475.jpg.html

-- Roger