PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito lol

MonsterRocket
08-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I originall had this as part of my "Nebulon Warrior (and others) post, but when I tried to post I got an error that there were too many images. Bah!

Anyway - We wrapped things up this morning with a cloned Mosquito! Typical Mosquito launch -

Now you see it
http://www.deathstalkerstudios.com/rockets/mos1.jpg

Now you don't
http://www.deathstalkerstudios.com/rockets/mos2.jpg

One of the home owners UPWIND of us returned it to me while I was searching in the oppiste direction. I'm also not sure wht it hit when it landed, but it's now grounded for repairs. LOL

http://www.deathstalkerstudios.com/rockets/mos3.jpg

CPMcGraw
08-11-2007, 05:49 PM
...One of the home owners UPWIND of us returned it to me while I was searching in the oppiste direction. I'm also not sure wht it hit when it landed, but it's now grounded for repairs...

Probably hit asphalt or a roof. Mosquitos are notorious for being sacrificial animals (or, sacrificial insects...) by their consistent lack of returning home. These critters need a 1/8 A motor to stay within visual range, say less than 150'...

dwmzmm
08-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I lost every single Mosquitos I bought & built; gave up on them after the last flight in the
early 1970's....

barone
08-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I lost every single Mosquitos I bought & built; gave up on them after the last flight in the
early 1970's....
We used to have a fun contest with them....Had to launch with an A10-3T. Person to return their rocket to the launch table in the least amount of time won. Only saw one person win when his Mosquito landed five feet from the table! :rolleyes:

Bob H
08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
early 1970's....
My Micro-Maxx powered Mosquito always come back.

dwmzmm
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
My Micro-Maxx powered Mosquito always come back.

Don't think Micro-Maxx were around back then (didn't know about them until I became
a BAR after 2003). After losing the Astron Streak several times on the 18 mm engines,
I tried the Mosquitos on the new 13 mm's and got the same results. Had better luck on
the Astron Scout; mine lasted from 1969 until January 2004, when I lost it at Rushing Park
(Challenger Club's usual launch site, although I didn't know it at the time) on a C6-7 :( .
Good news is I think I have enough spare parts (some from BMS) to build a "new" Astron
Scout clone :) .

Initiator001
08-11-2007, 08:56 PM
I still have my original issue (1972?) Mosquito which I flew several times. ;)

Bob

pantherjon
08-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I used to launch my Mosquito quite often when I was first in rocketry..Had a 90% recovery rate..Lost it right after I lost another rocket that I had spent a lot of time on- back then 'a lot of time' was like 2 hours! I never painted my mosquito, but I was bummed more over losing it then any other rocket I lost as it had the most flights on it..I may need to build a couple now, I have the body tubes and balsa, just need the nose cones...

space_bus
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Nice igniter plug shot!

mrhemi1971
09-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Love the old skeeter! I had one I flew amazingly about 15 times till I put it up with an a10-4t
now I'm doing upscale mosquitos. I know evertbody has done them, but I still love that little bugger. Estes should never have discontinued it. Just my 2 cents...

garmtn
10-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Have a story. Just can't remember if rocket the mosquito or scout. Anyway, launched it with a B6-4. The thing was so loud it roared overhead! Some kids were playing basketball and didn't know what it was. They got so scared they "hit the dirt." Never saw the rocket again but, was worth the look on the b-ball players faces.

tbzep
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Have a story. Just can't remember if rocket the mosquito or scout. Anyway, launched it with a B6-4. The thing was so loud it roared overhead! Some kids were playing basketball and didn't know what it was. They got so scared they "hit the dirt." Never saw the rocket again but, was worth the look on the b-ball players faces.

It couldn't have been a Mosquito. They use mini-motors. It had to be the Scout or more likely the Streak.

garmtn
10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
u r probably right. Plum of smoke was so long, 300 ft or better, u thought was space shuttle lifting off, ( to use modern day terminology.

Rocket Doctor
10-03-2007, 05:43 AM
Could it have been the Estes 0802 Quark or the 0810 Swift ??page 22-23 2007 Estes catalog.

tbzep
10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Could it have been the Estes 0802 Quark or the 0810 Swift ??page 22-23 2007 Estes catalog.

Those are mini-motor kits using BT-5 body tubes like the Mosquito. The B6-4 could have only been used in a BT-20 or larger rocket.

tfischer
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Years ago I once launched a "Scout II" on a C6-7. We mananged to recover one fin from it!

Not sure what the deal with the Scout II was... it was supposedly an "improved" version of the Scout, but it was only around a couple of years.

-Tim