PDA

View Full Version : Some OOP parts???

K.M.Knox
08-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Well I made it over to a seldom visited hobby shop today with little to choose from in rocket stuff. However I came across some odd packages I think... I found one NC-80B package that contained a Phoenix style nose cone? That does not sync with the catalog stating it is a Fat Boy style. Am I off base? The other nose cone package consisted of 5 (I think) cones with the spaceship styling (SR-71, Cockpit styles, Cockpit style with the two wings). I am not sure this nose cone package is still available, I am probably wrong though. Wondering if I shouldn't go back and pick them all up, I know I want to clone my Phoenix since the original build was not all that good and my fins are snapping in pieces at the edges. I am pretty sure that cone is not available from Estes anymore...

Anyone with some insight to my findings? I also saw two Command Control Launch Controllers on the shelf. And I know for a fact that those are not produced anymore...

Huh.

Ltvscout
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Well I made it over to a seldom visited hobby shop today with little to choose from in rocket stuff. However I came across some odd packages I think... I found one NC-80B package that contained a Phoenix style nose cone? That does not sync with the catalog stating it is a Fat Boy style. Am I off base? The other nose cone package consisted of 5 (I think) cones with the spaceship styling (SR-71, Cockpit styles, Cockpit style with the two wings). I am not sure this nose cone package is still available, I am probably wrong though. Wondering if I shouldn't go back and pick them all up, I know I want to clone my Phoenix since the original build was not all that good and my fins are snapping in pieces at the edges. I am pretty sure that cone is not available from Estes anymore...

Anyone with some insight to my findings? I also saw two Command Control Launch Controllers on the shelf. And I know for a fact that those are not produced anymore...

Huh.
I'd pick 'em up. The Phoenix cone isn't available anymore and the other cones can be bashed into some cool designs.

CPMcGraw
08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
...I came across some odd packages I think... I found one NC-80B package that contained a Phoenix style nose cone...The other nose cone package consisted of 5 (I think) cones with the spaceship styling (SR-71, Cockpit styles, Cockpit style with the two wings)...Anyone with some insight to my findings...

When it comes to parts bags, the "new" Estes has had a bad habit of making them "pot luck" instead of the way the company used to sell them years ago. The "Designer's Special" is often described in a similar way, using phrases such as "shop floor sweepings"... :(

Generally if you see them at all in the store, examine them for the overall oddity value instead of looking for specific items.

sandman
08-15-2007, 10:15 PM
The Command Control Launch Controller was probably one of the best things that Estes ever made.

The only drawback is that you also need to buy two 7.2V battery packs but with 14.4V you will be able to launch darn near anything you can build.

Remember...it's only a bargain if it's something you want. :D

K.M.Knox
08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I always wanted one of the Command Control Launchers but could never justify the price since my good old 1972 Cox pad on D's would launch all my stuff at the time. My heavier stuff fits on my Pro Series pad Estes put out back in their NCR days. My issue with it is it is a little wobbly, have not used it in a while but I am sure I can get it solidified. I did notice they wanted $45 for the launcher, still a lot of money if you ask me. That could be 3 new kits for the fleet that will launch just fine with my current set-up. Hmmmm.

Solomoriah
08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
One thing that just doesn't make sense to me... Estes sells the Electron Beam controller for almost $30.00 by itself (list price) with a "street price" of around $21.00 or so. But you can go to Wal-Mart and buy the "Super Shot Mini Model Rocket Starter Set" for around $9.00 with an Electron Beam controller, a junky mini-only launch pad, a junky plastic rocket, and a couple of mini engines. What gives there? What sort of idiot, knowing this, would buy just the controller?

K.M.Knox
08-16-2007, 09:12 AM
The same goes for the Launchables sets that Wal-Mart carries. I picked up the sizzler/Star Dart combo for $9 and I just saw the Sizzler at the hobby shop for $12, and I think you can not get the Star Dart individually anymore... (Might be wrong on that one.)

Solomoriah
08-16-2007, 09:41 AM
You are correct, the Star Dart in that package is not available elsewhere anymore.

JRThro
08-16-2007, 01:02 PM
I always wanted one of the Command Control Launchers but could never justify the price since my good old 1972 Cox pad on D's would launch all my stuff at the time. My heavier stuff fits on my Pro Series pad Estes put out back in their NCR days. My issue with it is it is a little wobbly, have not used it in a while but I am sure I can get it solidified. I did notice they wanted $45 for the launcher, still a lot of money if you ask me. That could be 3 new kits for the fleet that will launch just fine with my current set-up. Hmmmm.
You might ask if they'd be willing to take less for the Command Control launch controller, since it obviously has been on the shelf for (at least) a few years. I bought one on clearance at Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago for a *lot* less than $45. (In fact, it was less than $7.)

dwmzmm
08-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Back in March 2004, I bought the NOVA Launch Control Box from David Bachelder of
QuickBurst for only $35 (minus the wiring, which I did on my own)... Take a look and see
how much they cost now.