PDA

View Full Version : Semroc Discontinued cc:Kits

Carl@Semroc
08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Many people have noticed that a few of our kits are not on our web pages any more.

After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone. A few are still available in stores and from online vendors.

Almost all our complaints and warranty issues have been with the cc: kits.

1. No instructions in kit.
2. Links broken to instructions or can't get to the internet.
3. Bad design.
4. Poorly written instructions.
5. Not up to Semroc's standards.

Far too many customers missed the point of building historically significant kits using Vern's instructions and Lee's instructions. Several people said we should re-release them with "better parts" and Semroc written instructions.

If the market is there we will look at releasing them with our instructions and improvements sometime in the future. Thanks for your patience with these "old birds."

Ltvscout
08-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I believe that Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack is one of the only online places with X-21's and Space Plane's left. There are still a couple places with the SST available, including Semroc's own store. People may want to check their LHS as well for any of these kits if they're looking to snap up a few before they're all gone.

Leo
08-21-2007, 01:43 AM
I just ordered 2 Space Plane's. Gotta build those.

It's a shame that the kits are being discontinued but quiet understandable.

tbzep
08-21-2007, 07:19 AM
I enjoyed building the SST. The Centuri instructions were a bit vague in a spot or two, but that was fine with me. I'd like to thank you for kitting it when you did so that I didn't have to clone it myself!

UMRS
08-21-2007, 07:26 AM
As a follow up our last 2 space planes were bought this morning. We now only have 2 SST shuttles left and we dont expect those to last the day.

Thank you

foose4string
08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
The kits were very nice, I'm glad I purchased them when I had the chance. The good thing is, they'll still have the parts in stock, they just won't be in kit form.

Ltvscout
08-21-2007, 08:25 AM
I was just informed by John at JonRocket that he has "one" X-21 left if anyone is looking for one still. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6044754497&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11

Ltvscout
08-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I was just informed by John at JonRocket that he has "one" X-21 left if anyone is looking for one still. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6044754497&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11
This one is now gone. That didn't take long. :D

JonRocket
08-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Boy, that was quick!

We also have one of the Shuttles remaining. If it's not gone by this evening, I'll probably just take it off the site, stick it in the drawer and forget about it.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Leo
08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
As a follow up our last 2 space planes were bought this morning.

Yaaaeeeeeeks, I guess one German rocketeer got lucky :D

JonRocket
08-21-2007, 12:35 PM
The last Shuttle is gone.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Ltvscout
08-21-2007, 08:01 PM
The last Shuttle is gone.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com
I'm not sure if Uncle Mike's still has them or not. I know that the Semroc store still had them as of this morning.

UMRS
08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure if Uncle Mike's still has them or not. I know that the Semroc store still had them as of this morning.

We have 2 shuttles left, we picked up a few last ones from the gang at Semroc.

Chris_Timm
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle

Will the fin-sets still be available?

-Chris

Carl@Semroc
08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Will the fin-sets still be available?

-ChrisWe will keep the fin sets and all other parts.

Chris_Timm
08-22-2007, 12:14 PM
We will keep the fin sets and all other parts.

That sounds a little selfish Carl.................. :D
Discontinuing the kits is one thing, but keeping ALL the parts too!!!!

Seriously, its good to hear that the parts are still available for modelers who don't require
step-by-step instructions. Most of us are capable of building rockets blindfolded. And if you seen any of my rockets, you've probably thought I DID build them with a blindfold on!

Carl@Semroc
08-22-2007, 04:37 PM
That sounds a little selfish Carl.................. :D
Discontinuing the kits is one thing, but keeping ALL the parts too!!!!
If we get rid of EVERYTHING, then we would not be a rocket company any more and I would not be able to easily get the parts to build anything I want (as long as Sheryl does not catch me pulling parts out of stock!)

Sirius Rocketry
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
If we get rid of EVERYTHING, then we would not be a rocket company any more and I would not be able to easily get the parts to build anything I want (as long as Sheryl does not catch me pulling parts out of stock!)

Carl, you mean we're really not supposed to be pulling parts out of stock? Darn, now I'll have to have Evie scold me now....

Sheryl@Semroc
08-23-2007, 05:02 AM

Carl scolds me for not keeping good track of our inventory (getting the right numbers in our data base) but when he pulls parts out of stock he forgets to delete the numbers . What am I going to do with him? :confused:

Sheryl

PaulK
08-23-2007, 08:31 AM
After long deliberations, we have decided to discontinue all the CC: Kits. We are out of stock on the Space Plane and X-21 and do not plan on re-kitting the SST Shuttle as a cc: kit when they are gone. A few are still available in stores ...Gee, I go on vacation for a week and look what happens? ;) Fortunately, the LHS still had two SSTs on the shelf last night, now they have one. Thanks for bringing us these cc: kits, they are enjoyable to build.

Ltvscout
08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Gee, I go on vacation for a week and look what happens? ;) Fortunately, the LHS still had two SSTs on the shelf last night, now they have one. Thanks for bringing us these cc: kits, they are enjoyable to build.
Paul,

Which LHS did you go to?

cas2047
08-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Carl scolds me for not keeping good track of our inventory (getting the right numbers in our data base) but when he pulls parts out of stock he forgets to delete the numbers . What am I going to do with him? :confused:

Sheryl

As punishment you could sit him in a corner with a bunch of parts and make him prototype a Semroc Sat V to keep the now famous Semroc Sat 1B company. ;)

It's just a thought. :rolleyes:

PaulK
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Paul,

Which LHS did you go to?Greenfield News & Hobby. I need to talk with someone there, their stock of semroc started out quite nice, now they have only a few kits left. Any idea who is in charge of ordering stuff there?

Ltvscout
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Greenfield News & Hobby. I need to talk with someone there, their stock of semroc started out quite nice, now they have only a few kits left. Any idea who is in charge of ordering stuff there?
Scott G. would probably know. It's probably the owner. I think his name is Jay, but I'd verify that with Scott.

Did they have the X-21 or Space Plane there?

Carl@Semroc
08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
What am I going to do with him? :confused:

SherylI hope no one answers that and gives her any ideas! I forgot she watches the forums like a hawk.

cas2047
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
I hope no one answers that and gives her any ideas! I forgot she watches the forums like a hawk.

One idea has already been generated: Sheryl has Carl start work on a Semroc Sat V :)

Ltvscout
08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
If anyone is looking to pickup a Space Plane or X-21 it appears that Commonwealth still has some in stock. Just make sure you request that they inspect the kit(s) for damage before shipment. It would seem that Royatl got a damaged Intereceptor from them.

http://www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore/rocketryframes.html

PaulK
08-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Did they have the X-21 or Space Plane there?I don't think so, but wasn't really looking for those, so can't be sure. Sorry.

Ltvscout
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't think so, but wasn't really looking for those, so can't be sure. Sorry.
Did you happen to notice if they had any Der Red Max's or Interceptor's? (I'm too lazy to drive over there and look myself. heh)

pantherjon
08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
If anyone is looking to pickup a Space Plane or X-21 it appears that Commonwealth still has some in stock. Just make sure you request that they inspect the kit(s) for damage before shipment. It would seem that Royatl got a damaged Intereceptor from them.

http://www.commonwealth.net/rocketstore/rocketryframes.html
Just ordered a Space Plane(and a couple other kits) from Commonwealth :)

PaulK
08-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Did you happen to notice if they had any Der Red Max's or Interceptor's? (I'm too lazy to drive over there and look myself. heh)They did not have either.

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Carl,

I just logged onto Semroc and noticed that the X-21 is showing as available again. Did you find some extra parts or did you decide to not discontinue it?

Carl@Semroc
08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Carl,

I just logged onto Semroc and noticed that the X-21 is showing as available again. Did you find some extra parts or did you decide to not discontinue it?We had a customer (Commonwealth) that had an order that was started before the X-21 was discontinued. We had the remaining X-21's saved in his cart. They were shipped yesterday. The processing of the order set it back to active status, but they are really gone now.

Commonwealth should have a few for a short while!

Ltvscout
08-30-2007, 03:11 PM
We had a customer (Commonwealth) that had an order that was started before the X-21 was discontinued. We had the remaining X-21's saved in his cart. They were shipped yesterday. The processing of the order set it back to active status, but they are really gone now.

Commonwealth should have a few for a short while!
Ok you guys. Anyone else need X-21's, you know where to get them!

DeWain
09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Discontinued Semroc kits? Yikes!! I also noticed that it appears that the Astro Jr is no longer available. I was planning on getting one when I got around to cloning kits from the 1974 Centuri catalog. Do you mean there aren't enough Centuri nuts like me to keep production going? I had better bump up those cloning plans lest other kits become discontinued.

Carl and Sheryl, you guys are great. Semroc is an invaluable service to classic rocket fans. I had no problem at all with the cc kits, and I sorry to hear that you revieved so many complaints about them (so here is a compliment to counter the complaints). I love building from old plans, and I have even clone some of my old rockets using the original templates and instructions.

DeWain

DeWain
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Just checked the Semroc website again, and the Astro Jr. is in fact still available. Not sure why I didn't see it before. Sorry if I caused mass hysteria among Centuri fans.

DeWain

Carl@Semroc
09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Just checked the Semroc website again, and the Astro Jr. is in fact still available. Not sure why I didn't see it before. Sorry if I caused mass hysteria among Centuri fans.

DeWainMade me look!

It was just re-kitted this week, so it might have been on backorder for a short time.

Skippy
10-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Anyone still looking for a cc:Space Plane? Bones at Suburban Rocketry here in Australia still has one in stock. (I grabbed the third last!)

http://www.suburbanrocketry.com

:)