PDA

View Full Version : ebay oddball, any info ? Thunderbolt

Green Dragon
08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
saw this one on ebay this morning.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-ESTES-Thunderbolt-Flying-MODEL-ROCKET-Range-Box_W0QQitemZ330120417169QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2567QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

never heard of, or seen this one before .. one of the 'department store / wally world ' specials ?

any idea what the base kit is ? redecorated ?

appears to be BT55AC cone, but unsure what 4 fin rocket could have been 'recycled' ?

guys ??

~ AL

Ltvscout
08-25-2007, 09:32 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-ESTES-Thunderbolt-Flying-MODEL-ROCKET-Range-Box_W0QQitemZ330120417169QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2567QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

never heard of, or seen this one before .. one of the 'department store / wally world ' specials ?

appears to be BT55AC cone, but unsure what 4 fin rocket could have been 'recycled' ?

guys ??

~ AL
Estes made a number of starter sets that never appeared in their catalogs. This was one of them. I have it in my Estes Starter Set Kit List found on Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe. It was kit #1429 and was made around '87-'88.

The set obviously isn't complete as stated in their description since it is missing the motors. ;)

snaquin
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM

guys ??

~ AL

The rocket looks like the Estes Comet only with a PNC-55AC nose cone.

CPMcGraw
08-25-2007, 02:06 PM
The rocket looks like the Estes Comet only with a PNC-55AC nose cone.

Which makes it close to being a Defender with Comet / Vigilante fins. Red plastic for the launch pad, blue plastic for the controller. Black plastic started coming into use for the pads in 1982. The Electron Beam controller showed up in 1986. Red pads could still be found. Oldest it could be, then, is 21. Might just be legal drinking age...

The BT-55 is really mangled, though. To Mobile, Alabama, the shipping would be $10.67 for Parcel Post, making the total $30.67. YMMV...

snaquin
08-25-2007, 04:32 PM
The BT-55 is really mangled, though. To Mobile, Alabama, the shipping would be $10.67 for Parcel Post, making the total $30.67. YMMV...

I was trying to figure out the reason for the line drawn on the body tube & the cuts in the body tube since there doesn't appear to be any assembly on it yet other than the fins separating from the balsa sheet? Check out the close up shot of the parachute where you can see the end of the body tube ..... almost looks like they wanted to slip fit that Bt-55 into something smaller.

I guess eBay hasn't noticed the engine in the mix yet and pulled it the auction.

CPMcGraw
08-25-2007, 07:58 PM
...I guess eBay hasn't noticed the engine in the mix yet and pulled it the auction...

Either someone has already purchased it, or eBay spotted the infraction, because it's been removed...

I suspect the builder was trying to improvise and do TTW fins instead of following the instructions. The mistake may have been embarrasing to the point of tossing the contents back into the box and pretending it was just a bad dream...

Ltvscout
08-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Either someone has already purchased it, or eBay spotted the infraction, because it's been removed...

I suspect the builder was trying to improvise and do TTW fins instead of following the instructions. The mistake may have been embarrasing to the point of tossing the contents back into the box and pretending it was just a bad dream...
The seller pulled it. Probably due to the message I sent them. I asked them to re-word their inaccurate description. It says complete, but there are no motors shown. It says good condition, yet the body tube is trashed. I asked them to re-word the description to better fit the actual condition and instead they pulled it. Oh well.

duobob
08-25-2007, 11:04 PM
I have one of these the fins are identical to the Comet / Viglante and it has a 18" BT-55 with a PNC-55AC cone. I can scan decals, Fins or instructions if needed. ;)
Bob

CPMcGraw
08-26-2007, 12:17 AM
I have one of these the fins are identical to the Comet / Viglante and it has a 18" BT-55 with a PNC-55AC cone. I can scan decals, Fins or instructions if needed. ;)
Bob

Bob,

Yes! To all of those items! Send scans of all of them to Scott. Also, what was the catalog number on that starter set? Is there any indication what years the set was available? As Scott said earlier, Estes didn't include this one in any catalog.

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Bob
But of course! If you could scan the whole shebang for me that would be great. Plans, decals, fins, etc. Thank you!

Here are guidelines you can use for scanning:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/sendscans.htm

Ltvscout
08-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Also, what was the catalog number on that starter set? Is there any indication what years the set was available? As Scott said earlier, Estes didn't include this one in any catalog.
It was #1429. I have it in my Estes Starter Kit List.