PDA

View Full Version : 8-26-07 Launch

foose4string
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Today was a scheduled club launch for MDRA. I attended, bringing a handful of rockets that hadn't flown before, or others that were simply recent additions to my fleet. The launch site for the summer months is at the Central Sod Farm in Centreville, MD. Last night's rain storm created a muddy mess of the immediate launch area. The racks where set up in an area where the sod had been harvested. I was unaware of the field condition before heading down to fly, but I wore my boots as a precautionary. My decision paid off.

I was one of the first to arrive this morning, and as such, had the privilege of moving(carrying) the Port-o John that had blown over in the middle of the night. Fun, fun. :rolleyes:

Nobody was in a hurry load the racks up this morning, so casually paced flight prep, and some good 'ol fashioned BS'ing took place while the (partial) morning sun and light breeze slowly dried things out . The very light winds were blowing towards the grassy part of the field which lay behind the racks, so it wasn't too long before we started burning propellant.

Here's a few of my launch pics from today. The only one I didn't capture was my upscaled OT. It had been repaired from last month's faulty deploy when the shroud lines got caught around the booster wing on it's second flight. Crimped the body tube just forward of the wings and cracked one of thewings.

I didn't want to be saddled to my camera lens for the OT flight, that one deserves full attention! ;) Besides, I already have pics of it from last months first successful launch. This time, the glider and booster turned in a beautiful flight and both pieces landed in the soft, grassy field.

I want to give a special shoutout for the Semroc Texas Firefly. Loaded it with a C6-0, B6-6 combo. Man, what a great flight and perfect combo for this rocket. The booster windmill tumbed into the soft grass, and the sustainer returned safely to the partially dried mud, none the worse. Awesome kit.

pantherjon
08-26-2007, 11:32 PM
You better get back to the future before Marty finds out! :eek:...Thread title 08-26-08, hmmmmm..:p

Great pics! One of these days- HOPEFULLY before '08- I will get a chance to burn some BP and send some of my rockets skyward!

Hurry! Marty WILL miss his DeLorean!

:p

foose4string
08-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Thanks for catching that. Gotta love the edit feature.

Ltvscout
08-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Thanks for catching that. Gotta love the edit feature.
I fixed the title for you.

cas2047
08-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Great pics and that Blue Bird Zero just looks AWSOME going up!:D

MonsterRocket
08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Great pics!!
I was just eyeing the Semroc Texas Firefly yesterday on their site.

foose4string
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Great pics and that Blue Bird Zero just looks AWSOME going up!:D

Thanks! The Blue Bird is fun to watch. It actually got more altitude than I remembered it getting on a C motor, probably 500 ft. or more. While I was building, I kept wondering if I made a mistake by not upgrading to 24mm, but I'm glad I didn't. The 3 second delay was just a wee bit early. Still, it's in the slow and low class and I'm fine with that. ;)

Great pics!!
I was just eyeing the Semroc Texas Firefly yesterday on their site.

Thanks!
It's the only multistage in my current fleet, and it doesn't disappoint. The vented centering rings in the booster stage are brilliant. Gap staging at it's best.

I meant to attach the dowel pieces to the fins, but didn't remember to do it until after it was already painted. No big deal, I think it looks fine without them. One less thing to break off.

Here's an up-close photo of the Texas Firefly....