PDA

View Full Version : DRM and Interceptor

Mach1
08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
Would anyone know how well are these kits selling? Lots of folks here and on other forms (including myself) have reported buying multiple copies of these kits. My guess is they are selling well.

I was just thinking that it might grease the skids for more reissues from Penrose if these kits sold well. Comments?

Rocket Doctor
09-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Since this was one of the most requested kit on the Estes Forum, Estes decided to reissue the 1250 and expand it to include the 1350 (D/E)

You can only assume that they are selling well.

And, it would make no sense to hold back on planned reissues of other kits.

If Estes sticks to their schedule, there will/should be more vinyage kits coming out.

There has been personal changes at Estes, so, the schedule might be off slightly, bit, I'm sure their working hard on the balance of their schedule.

Bruce Temple
09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
What was the second and third most requested RD?

Thanks, Bruce

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Saturn 1 -B

Saturn V

Gemini - Titan

Maxi Brute Pershing

Goony's

Gyroc

Centuri (any fantasy kits)

Ltvscout
09-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Saturn 1 -B

Saturn V

Gemini - Titan

Maxi Brute Pershing

Goony's

Gyroc

Centuri (any fantasy kits)
Semroc beat them to the punch on the 1B. The Saturn V had already been re-released just a few years back. Quest is supposed to be releasing a Gyroc knockoff. I'm told the Pershing molds are no more. I don't know that Estes would stick the money into making new molds.

Now, re-releasing Goonybirds or the 2-engine cluster Gemini-Titan would be cool.

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
These were the most requested kits from a pole on the Estes Forum, I didn't say that Estes was going to produce any of them.

I know what has been scheduled, quite a selection, but, even though I'm not connected with Estes anymore, I can't reveal the list.

Kits were scheduled, but, slow to come out due to personal changes over the past two months.

scigs30
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Rd, Do you thinks Estes will stick to this list based on how well the DRM and Interceptor do? Meaning if they do well in sells Estes would continue releasing kits, as opposed to poor sells.

Initiator001
09-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Now, re-releasing Goonybirds or the 2-engine cluster Gemini-Titan would be cool.

The Goonybirds will never happen. :(

At NARAM-32 in Texas (1990), I was walking with a group of fellow competitors outside the NARAM hotel.

Mary Roberts happened to be walking with us (Just coincidence). We had just come back from the flying field.

As we were walking, Mary asked out loud, "What kits would you like Estes to re-issue?"

I didn't miss a beat. "Goonybirds!" I called out.

Mary stopped walking, turned to me and said, "Oh, Bob" (Like a parent scolding a child).

She then continued walking on.

Gee, I wonder what she had against those kits? :confused:

Bob

foose4string
09-04-2007, 09:34 PM
The Goonies don't really need to happen as long as the Baby Bertha is around, and they're easy enough to clone. I suppose decals could pose a problem. There's lots of stuff that's tough to clone, that's what I want to see... Master Series and Maxi Brutes for starters. ;)

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Rd, Do you thinks Estes will stick to this list based on how well the DRM and Interceptor do? Meaning if they do well in sells Estes would continue releasing kits, as opposed to poor sells.

NO
Many requests have gone on deaf ears,that's why the Forum is gone.
I had four of my designs scheduled to be out by now, Shooting Stat, JumpZone, Siren and BwllX-1.

Also other kits scheduled to come out early next years won't.

As far as Goony's go, NO, again, they were brought up and shot down.

If they do a fractuon of the proposed list, you all will be very happy, but, as you can see, things chande daily.

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Semroc beat them to the punch on the 1B. The Saturn V had already been re-released just a few years back. Quest is supposed to be releasing a Gyroc knockoff. I'm told the Pershing molds are no more. I don't know that Estes would stick the money into making new molds.

Goony's were discussed and shot dowm. The Gyroc was also brought up, but, with the Gyroc, the engine is expelled out at apogee which would create a potential hazard on those on the ground.

I developed two updated versions of the Gyroc, one based on a BT-50, using a engine holder that would come down on a streamer, and one based on a bt-60, using a engine holder with streamer as well.

Both were tested and worked well with the engibe holders.

The BT-60 version was awesome.

Royatl
09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
As we were walking, Mary asked out loud, "What kits would you like Estes to re-issue?"

I didn't miss a beat. "Goonybirds!" I called out.

Mary stopped walking, turned to me and said, "Oh, Bob" (Like a parent scolding a child).

She then continued walking on.

Gee, I wonder what she had against those kits? :confused:

Bob

I'm afraid I'm 100% with Mary on that!

To me in 1973, the GooneyBirds were the first sign of the decline of Estes! A total admission that model rockets were nothing but toys (I tried to hold on to the delusion for many more years).

Initiator001
09-05-2007, 12:50 AM
I developed two updated versions of the Gyroc, one based on a BT-50, using a engine holder that would come down on a streamer, and one based on a bt-60, using a engine holder with streamer as well.

Both were tested and worked well with the engibe holders.

The BT-60 version was awesome.

My friend Marc McReynolds has a BT-80 based Gyroc which he flies on D12-3s.

He flew it for the first time at NARAM-48 and flew it, again, last week at the SCRA launch in Los Angeles.

It's pretty cool! :D

Bob

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-05-2007, 01:35 AM
My friend Marc McReynolds has a BT-80 based Gyroc which he flies on D12-3s.

He flew it for the first time at NARAM-48 and flew it, again, last week at the SCRA launch in Los Angeles.

It's pretty cool! :D

Bob

That must be one tough bird! :eek:

Rocket Doctor
09-05-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm afraid I'm 100% with Mary on that!

To me in 1973, the GooneyBirds were the first sign of the decline of Estes! A total admission that model rockets were nothing but toys (I tried to hold on to the delusion for many more years).

Not all rockets need to be all rocket related!!
What about kit bashing?
This is the fun side of the hobby.
And, you can't say that the current management had anything to do with the Goony's going back to 1973.

What's your take on RTF's? Would you consider these toys?
After nearly 50 years, one can be hard pressed to come up with new designs and names year after year.

Would you consider my Skywriter a toy as well. And some say that this is a copy of a MRN design of the month, not true, there is quite a difference between the two.
I felt that school children needed a rocket that they could relate to. or. would a RTF be better?

In my opinion, we all are much too serious at times, all participant should have the opportunity to select kits of their liking.

Better yet, the BAR's have alot of creative talent and have come up with some really great designs.

Initiator001
09-05-2007, 01:39 PM
That must be one tough bird! :eek:

Marc builds light-weight models. His Gyroc weighs well under one pound and uses standard Estes BT-80. It takes longer to come down from apogee then it takes to get there.

The tip of the nose cone is designed to take the impact and can be replaced.

Bob

Royatl
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Marc builds light-weight models. His Gyroc weighs well under one pound and uses standard Estes BT-80. It takes longer to come down from apogee then it takes to get there.

Bob

There was someone in our club many years ago that built dozens of gyroc-like upscale rockets, but his were all way too dense and failed miserably, usually becoming just slightly slow lawn darts. Then he went light and his rockets became too feathery. Just never could get the right density.

Rocket Doctor
09-05-2007, 08:28 PM

Bob

My BT-60 version came down with a thud due to the size and weight.Mine had a seperate engine holder that came down on a streamer.

Made a BT-50 version to replace the BT-20 version so the egine wouldn't be expelled.

Initiator001
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
My BT-60 version came down with a thud due to the size and weight.Mine had a seperate engine holder that came down on a streamer.

Made a BT-50 version to replace the BT-20 version so the egine wouldn't be expelled.

Marc's BT-80 Gyroc ejects the motor mount on a streamer.

Bob