PDA

View Full Version : Model Rocket finish question

WRATHofGOD
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm a bit confused about the different methods to finish a rocket. Specifically what kinds of layers to put on the rocket. I want a smooth, light finish with a solid semi/bright green. The rocket is a featherweight rocket so weight is a concern.

The way I understand it, I need some sort of "primer" to put on the sanded, cleaned rocket body tube. Next I would put the actual color (light green) on the rocket, followed by some sort of clear coat for that smooth, shiny finish.

Now having said that- what are some options for the primer and the clear coat with a very small, light rocket?

Thanks for your help,
Jesse

Royatl
09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Generally, the smoother, shinier the finish, the greater the weight. However, for the optimum amount of both, the best solution is butyrate dope based sanding sealer - three or four coats, sanding between each coat, then as light a coat of white as you can and get an even coat, then the top coat. If the green is opaque, you can try skipping the white.

Most all other methods of getting a smooth finish end up putting a good bit of weight on the model.

WRATHofGOD
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks- do you have a brand to recommend?

Rocket Doctor
09-04-2007, 01:50 PM
SIG or Midwest

Try a local hobby shop that sells airplanes.

tbzep
09-04-2007, 02:25 PM
then as light a coat of white as you can and get an even coat, then the top coat. If the green is opaque, you can try skipping the white.

Even with supposedly opaque colors, a light coat of white seems to brighten the final color when using brighter colors like yellows and reds. I don't notice it with darker colors. YMMV. :)

Solomoriah
09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
You can get a perfectly good finish using just primer and paint. I use Miracal gray primer, purchased for a buck a can at Dollar General; the Wal-Mart ColorPlace gray primer, also about a buck a can, appears to be the same thing (but I have the opportunity to hit Dollar General a bit more often). Spray on, wait until it's good and dry, sand it with fine or very fine sandpaper, repeat until the grain disappears.

I'm told that a coat of primer, then a light sanding, then another coat, then a serious partly-down-to-the paper sanding followed by one more coat should get that result. I haven't tried that exact procedure yet. Generally I need about four coats of primer to get that smooth finish (sanding all but the last coat almost entirely off).

I've also had some trouble with spray-on clearcoat eating into the paint and making that orange-peel finish. I have used Future floor finish, applied with a rag, as a topcoat with good results, but beware... if you make decals or stickers on a laser printer, the Future will eat into THAT. I think next time I'm going to use my new airbrush to apply two or three light coats of thinned polyurethane varnish as a topcoat next time around.

mrhemi1971
09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
I've always been big into urethanes. I use house of Kolor automotive paints for my custom paint work. But I still use good old krylon for some of my small projects or some of my quickie builds. I have always had problems with using decals under a clear coat. if the design is relatively simple I have a buddy who does vynil stencils that let me paint on the design. then clearcoat isnt a problem.

scigs30
09-10-2007, 09:36 AM
I apply 4 or more coats of Aerogloss sealer to the balsa and it comes out smooth and hard. I have been using Krylon primer, but sanding has been poor. I did some reading and found out that Krylon changed there primer and it no longer says sandable on the front. I am in the process of searching for a sandable primer that I can use Krylon gloss paints over.

Rocket Doctor
09-10-2007, 10:17 AM
I apply 4 or more coats of Aerogloss sealer to the balsa and it comes out smooth and hard. I have been using Krylon primer, but sanding has been poor. I did some reading and found out that Krylon changed there primer and it no longer says sandable on the front. I am in the process of searching for a sandable primer that I can use Krylon gloss paints over.

I am surprised that the Krylon 's primer doesn't say sandable.

I think I am goimg to call them and find out what the deal is.

scigs30
09-10-2007, 12:20 PM
RD, the first couple cans I had, I think were old, because it said " sandable" on the front. Now I notice the primer has a different front label, the balls are black and white not color.

PaulK
09-10-2007, 03:46 PM
I am surprised that the Krylon 's primer doesn't say sandable.

I think I am goimg to call them and find out what the deal is.Their white primer doesn't say sandable. And IMHO, isn't as sandable as the automotive grey primers that indicate sandable. I have never had a problem applying krylon over automotive grey primer, I've used Rustoleum, ACE, Bondo, all work well. Only problem is they are GREY, so for things like fluorescents, I need a coat of white too. Wish I could find an automotive sandable white primer.

mrhemi1971
09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Their white primer doesn't say sandable. And IMHO, isn't as sandable as the automotive grey primers that indicate sandable. I have never had a problem applying krylon over automotive grey primer, I've used Rustoleum, ACE, Bondo, all work well. Only problem is they are GREY, so for things like fluorescents, I need a coat of white too. Wish I could find an automotive sandable white primer.

Check your local auto parts or paint store, I use a white primer that you have to reduce, but I know that there is a rattle can version. Try a NAPA or body shop supply store.

Royatl
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Their white primer doesn't say sandable. And IMHO, isn't as sandable as the automotive grey primers that indicate sandable. I have never had a problem applying krylon over automotive grey primer, I've used Rustoleum, ACE, Bondo, all work well. Only problem is they are GREY, so for things like fluorescents, I need a coat of white too. Wish I could find an automotive sandable white primer.

I've used both Plastikote and Duplicolor Sandable Primer, but neither are as useful to me as Plastikote's Spot Filler And Primer. Many years ago you could get that at Pep Boys in White, Grey, and Dark Brown. Now Pep Boys sells only Duplicolor. I've seen the Spot Filler at WalMart, but only the Grey.

Rocket Doctor
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I've contacted Krylon to see what they say about their primers.
Using a dark primer and then a top coat would make me wonder about the final color.

I usually prime with white, a coat of white, then a top coat of color.

Hopefullt, we can all come up with a solution to our painting concerns.

Maybe we should contact rougepink since he does the Estes photo models.

ScaleNut
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
krylon no longer makes the excellent sandable primer that they had a few years ago.
it was really good primer , the current stuff is more like thin paint.

I did contact them about it back when it dissapeared from the shelves
they felt (without really saying it) that sandable primer was geared tword the automotive market and they are not in that business.

as far as colors go I >always< start with a basecoat of (krylon) white no matter what .
than start "painting" i look at it as a fresh canvas.And it's a great surface for airbrushing

white is not really a popular color for primer, because it's very hard to see blemishes with a bright white surface.

thats just my way , everyone has their preferred technique

Bob H
09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Their white primer doesn't say sandable. And IMHO, isn't as sandable as the automotive grey primers that indicate sandable. I have never had a problem applying krylon over automotive grey primer, I've used Rustoleum, ACE, Bondo, all work well. Only problem is they are GREY, so for things like fluorescents, I need a coat of white too. Wish I could find an automotive sandable white primer.The Painters Touch (by Rustoleum) white primer I just got at Home Depot says it's sandable.

Rocket Doctor
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm waiting for a reply from Krylon, and when I do I will post what they have to say.

foose4string
09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
The Painters Touch (by Rustoleum) white primer I just got at Home Depot says it's sandable.

I've used this one too. It works well and seems to be compatible with Krylon. Not as good at filling as some of the grey primers, but sands nicely. I haven't used it recently though.

PaulK
09-11-2007, 09:20 AM
The Painters Touch (by Rustoleum) white primer I just got at Home Depot says it's sandable.Thanks Bob, I'll give that a try.

Rocket Doctor
09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
I just got a reply from Krylon, a bit lengthy, but, I will post it later.

Bob H
09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
I've used this one too. It works well and seems to be compatible with Krylon. Not as good at filling as some of the grey primers, but sands nicely. I haven't used it recently though.I think that's the idea. You use the gray primer first for the craters and canyons and then the white primer for the fine lines.

I'm not a fanatic about finish but the white primer covers the gray nicely and I would rather have a white base to start with.

scigs30
09-11-2007, 07:42 PM
I bought some grey and white sandable Duplicolor primer. Will let you know how it does. I will test both.