PDA

View Full Version : NSL 2008 in Orangeburg, SC

Royatl
09-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Just received this from Trip Barber:

"The NAR National Events Committee is pleased to announce that the 2008 NAR National Sport Launch has been awarded to the team of ROSCO (NAR section 648) and SoAR (NAR section 571), with the event to be held May 24-26, 2008 at Orangeburg, SC at the well-known Super Sod farm field near Orangeburg and with a 10,000 foot FAA waiver. Burl Finkelstein and Mark Canepa will be co-directors."

Web Site Coming Soon

Carl@Semroc
09-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Great news, Roy!

snaquin
09-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Excellent!! I attended LDRS XV in 1996 at that field in Orangeburg, SC.

NSL 2008 might be the one national launch that I can make next year. I think I made it to Orangeburg, SC in about 12 hours with a couple of brief stops along the way.

Thanks for the announcement Roy!

tbzep
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Excellent!! I attended LDRS XV in 1996 at that field in Orangeburg, SC.

NSL 2008 might be the one national launch that I can make next year. I think I made it to Orangeburg, SC in about 12 hours with a couple of brief stops along the way.

Thanks for the announcement Roy!

I was there for XV also! I flew my 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi on the "Small Balls" experimental day, met a bunch of nice folks, and saw a bunch of cool stuff.

Rocket Doctor
09-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Just received this from Trip Barber:

"The NAR National Events Committee is pleased to announce that the 2008 NAR National Sport Launch has been awarded to the team of ROSCO (NAR section 648) and SoAR (NAR section 571), with the event to be held May 24-26, 2008 at Orangeburg, SC at the well-known Super Sod farm field near Orangeburg and with a 10,000 foot FAA waiver. Burl Finkelstein and Mark Canepa will be co-directors."

Web Site Coming Soon

What is Orangeburg SC near, how fae from Rock Hill SC and Charlotte NC?

Green Dragon
09-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I was there for XV also! I flew my 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi on the "Small Balls" experimental day, met a bunch of nice folks, and saw a bunch of cool stuff.

I was also at LDRS XV Orangburg.. small world :)

did you fly the 1/2 Aerobee on a DPS Yellowjacket motor ? ( I both remember that live and from Earls video ) ?

I already have plans for NARAM 50 in Virginia, but might have to add NArCon as well, as my best friend / flying buddy just relocated to Myrtle Beach and is now flying in Orangeburg monthly ( lucky dude :)

Look forward to meeting persons from the forum in person at either of the mentioned national launches.

~ AL

pantherjon
09-08-2007, 11:22 PM
What is Orangeburg SC near, how fae from Rock Hill SC and Charlotte NC?
Not far at all! Just head straight down I-77 to Columbia, hang a left onto I-26 towards Charleston and got like 25 miles and your at the exit! Nice field to fly from!

This is most AWESOME news!! I WILL be there come heck or high water! I had to check and make sure the race in Darlington wasn't on that weekend(it's on the 10th)..So, I am good to go!!

Only 9 months of anticipation! Any coincidence in THAT?!?!:eek::D:p

tbzep
09-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I was also at LDRS XV Orangburg.. small world :)

did you fly the 1/2 Aerobee on a DPS Yellowjacket motor ? ( I both remember that live and from Earls video ) ?

~ AL

That's the one. We didn't have any big chutes, so we all pooled our chute supply and I brought it down with six chutes. I still laugh at HPR guys that can't get a single chute recovery system to work. :D

I live about 5 miles from Jim, so we did a lot of propellant making and motor testing together. That was an L-1000 Yellowjacket that echoed off the trees in the distance. IMHO, it was a much more impressive flight than the bigger M's and clusters at LDRS. What a motor! I got into motor making myself after that, but the PEPCON explosion and post 9/11 regulations and BATFE bullcrap pretty much turned me off to HPR all together.

Green Dragon
09-09-2007, 01:39 PM
That's the one. We didn't have any big chutes, so we all pooled our chute supply and I brought it down with six chutes. I still laugh at HPR guys that can't get a single chute recovery system to work. :D

I live about 5 miles from Jim, so we did a lot of propellant making and motor testing together. That was an L-1000 Yellowjacket that echoed off the trees in the distance. IMHO, it was a much more impressive flight than the bigger M's and clusters at LDRS. What a motor! I got into motor making myself after that, but the PEPCON explosion and post 9/11 regulations and BATFE bullcrap pretty much turned me off to HPR all together.

Cool to know that was the flight - most likely I met you at LDRS XV then, without knowing it -0f course that was before my 'non-BAR-dom', or this forum ....

Jim's a good guy, know him a long time, not really a mentor, but he DID convince me to go back to0 HTPB from Pban ( I;d started in 1886 with HTPB, then switched to Pban - from Firefox - due to costs, flew a few Pban motors at Oraneburg, then after talking with Jim and others, ordered some more R45 and never looked back (and have not had the liner bonding issues we had with PBan, but have not been able to make a good 'effects' propellant like we had with PBan - picture a YJ or Spitfire without the titanium, loud, pulsating and no sparks ) .

I still dabble in exp, but not much 'regular high power' so my main interests ( current, lol ) in rocketry are nostalgia / repro model rockets and exp motors....

now put the two together, lol ( exp e-f, including Enerjet E24 'epro' and FSI 22mm sized composite motors :)

~ AL

Rocket Doctor
09-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Not far at all! Just head straight down I-77 to Columbia, hang a left onto I-26 towards Charleston and got like 25 miles and your at the exit! Nice field to fly from!

This is most AWESOME news!! I WILL be there come heck or high water! I had to check and make sure the race in Darlington wasn't on that weekend(it's on the 10th)..So, I am good to go!!

Only 9 months of anticipation! Any coincidence in THAT?!?!:eek::D:p

Thanks for the directions. Will you also be attending NARAM 60?

tbzep
09-09-2007, 04:09 PM
now put the two together, lol ( exp e-f, including Enerjet E24 'epro' and FSI 22mm sized composite motors :)

~ AL

LOL....the first few 22mm F class reloadable EX motors Jim and I fooled with were so fast and progressive that they sounded like a shotgun going off at burnout. POW!

I never cared for PBAN even though it has a bit more ISP. Jim did a little PBAN stuff and the P'fesser likes fooling with it. I don't like having to mix/heat/vacuum at the same time considering HTPB is easier to work with and you don't lose that much energy with it. Oh...and I don't like the smell either. ;)

On the up side of EX....when I did something stupid, my excuse was isocyanate use. Brain cells? What brain cells? ;)

pantherjon
09-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the directions. Will you also be attending NARAM 60?
I am going to try and make it to MARAM 50...It IS about a 10 hour drive, but, I think for the 50th anniversary of our great hobby I think I will make it..It will be penciled in to my schedule..Will have to see what life throws at me between now and then..:)

Leo
09-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Good news for this German guy :)

I've never been at an event such as this one and since my Uncle lives in Greenville it's not so far away.

So, I'll try to be there in 2008 :)

Rocket Doctor
09-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Good news for this German guy :)

I've never been at an event such as this one and since my Uncle lives in Greenville it's not so far away.

So, I'll try to be there in 2008 :)

Leo

Are you coming over for NARAM 50?

Leo
09-10-2007, 06:47 AM
Leo

Are you coming over for NARAM 50?

EDIT: I goofed. You guys are talking about 2 different events doh :o

I will try to attend the event in SC, whatever it's called :D

Also, I shall not make the same mistake twice when by pure coinsidence I bought a kit from a company called Fliskits at a Deuceswild event (I think) in Florida 2005 and I later (while back in Germany) realised the boss himself sold me the kit :eek: I could have had the kit signed :rolleyes:

:)

AstronMike
09-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Hey, I was at that same LDRS at Orangeburg back in 96, even though I couldnt bring the really large gliders, did fly some on H/I motors up there.

The one you see in the Point 39 video with music is mine of course.....

Might try to make it back up there for NSL, that is a heck of a nice site as I remember it!

Rocket Doctor
09-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Leo

Orangeburg SC NSL

Virginia July 26 - Aug 1,2008 NARAM 50 50th Anniversary
Speaking about autographs, you need to attend this one.

There is supposed to be info on the NAR web site around Sept 15th www.nar.org

tbzep
09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey, I was at that same LDRS at Orangeburg back in 96, even though I couldnt bring the really large gliders, did fly some on H/I motors up there.

The one you see in the Point 39 video with music is mine of course.....

Might try to make it back up there for NSL, that is a heck of a nice site as I remember it!

I was hanging out on r.m.r. back then and read about your larger gliders so I stopped what I was doing to watch them when they announced your flights. :)