PDA

View Full Version : Goony Curiosity

K.M.Knox
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
OK, I did a little search and really could not come up with some concrete numbers and current methodology about the goonies of yesteryear and today.

The originals were 13mm but people today seem to use the Baby Bertha kit to make goonies. Does that mean the current batch of goonified models are 18mm models? Also what are the tube lengths? Are people keeping the BB kit intact and just modding the fins/canopies/etc? The old Estes catalogs just state the goonies are about 8" long.

With the surfacing of the original sketches I am getting the bug to make some goonies. While I might make larger versions later on, the 13mm would be great for my small areas to launch. I did see a post (by scigs30?) showing some original kits and it appeared that the tubes were 5" long. I am going to ask on that thread also but am also wondering about some of the other things I asked just above.

A Fish Named Wallyum
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
The Baby Bertha is a great Goony starting point, but the decision on how to make them is yours. I go with the original length 5" tube and 18mm power. A lot of the time this requires some nose weight, so I go the BB and epoxy route. They're more fun as 24mm BT-80 birds. (Trust me on this. ;) :rolleyes: )

gpoehlein
09-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Like Bill said.

You can build them any way you like. Download the Estes instructions and fin layouts (you can get most if not all here). You might also download the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog from Jimz - it will tell you how long the body tube is based on its part number (BT-60R is 5" long). Or you can look up the same info on Ninfinger.

As for motor mounts, that is up to you. Personally, I think one thing that makes a Goony a Goony is the 13mm motor mount. Just substitute a 1.75" length of BT-5 and two RA-560 centering rings for those in the Baby Bertha.

Upscales and downscales are definitely possibilities. Upscale by building from a Fat Boy (or buy a length of BT-80 and a PNC-80BB). To downscale, use a BT-5 and PNC-5V (Mosquito nose cone - you can still get them in the PNC-5 Nose Cone Packs). I would personally use a micromaxx motor mount in a BT-5 downscale if you want to get them back.

Just remember that Goony is as Goony does! ;)

Greg

CPMcGraw
09-30-2007, 11:45 PM
...The originals were 13mm but people today seem to use the Baby Bertha kit to make goonies. Does that mean the current batch of goonified models are 18mm models?...

I can't speak for everyone, but I built my clone Goonies from BB kits, and went with the 18mm mounts. They fly great on a mild A8-3 without any ballast; they might need some in "B" and "C" power, though.

Solomoriah
10-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Why not downscale with BT-20 and a 13mm engine mount? ... hmm, 5" == 2 3/8" at that scale. You'd need an appropriate nose cone, perhaps a Semroc BNC-20A (not exact, but it wouldn't be hard to sand it down to shape). It would still be small enough to tumble recover.

Dang, I may have to build one of these now...

CPMcGraw
10-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Why not downscale with BT-20 and a 13mm engine mount? ... hmm, 5" == 2 3/8" at that scale. You'd need an appropriate nose cone, perhaps a Semroc BNC-20A (not exact, but it wouldn't be hard to sand it down to shape). It would still be small enough to tumble recover.

Dang, I may have to build one of these now...

BT-20 might be a little too small, but I'd think an ST-10 size might be more workable for 13mm. That gives you enough room for at least some leader line and maybe a streamer for recovery. It might be easier to see, too...

pantherjon
10-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Seems I have gotten the Goony bug too! I just ordered some BB's to bash!LOL And ordered some kit/decal plans from Phred...Gonna throw together the 'Goony-Dent'..Should go nicely with my Astron Trident...lol..The Trident and it's short pudgy cousin..lmao

Ltvscout
10-01-2007, 07:53 AM
You might also download the 1974 Custom Parts Catalog from Jimz - it will tell you how long the body tube is based on its part number (BT-60R is 5" long). Or you can look up the same info on Ninfinger.
Or you can use the even handier Estes body tube reference chart that John Brohm made for us located here:

http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Body_Tube_List.pdf

K.M.Knox
10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
I had thought about those charts as soon as I posted and realized all I had to do was look up the part number off of the plans, I searched but I did not search hard enough I guess.

Thanks for all the input, I think the 5" with 13mm mount says goony all the way. Now to get some supplies and start goonifying. Clone the originals and create the original originals!

Phred
10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
I guess I started the latest GOONY boom with my decal/plansets that use the Baby Bertha as a base. I chose this for several reasons: 1) my original 13mm, BT60 Goonies did not fly very high, and 2) I bought a pile of Baby Berthas on clearence a few years ago. I figured I could build something else. My first was the Goony Goblin. I built a Baby Bertha with Goblin fins, and it well... looked goony, so it was all downhill (on several levels) from there.....

Since then, Many have build Goonys from BT-5 based micromaxx versions to Big BT-80 versions, some using the Fat Boy as a starting point.

The only real rule us that you must ensure your design is stable ....

Phred

maricopasem
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
I go with the BB kit but have used different MMT's. The Goony Asteroid Explorer has a 2x18mm MMT and the Goony LOC Viper is 3x18mm, obviously.

K.M.Knox
10-01-2007, 11:01 AM
So Phred, your decals are 1.5x bigger then? No that does not make sense because the BT is the same diameter, it is just longer. So are you guys just leaving the BB kit tube stock at 7.5" and just making the goony off that, or actually cutting it down to 5" and using the 18mm mount?

I know in the end it is up to me and whatever I feel like doing, but I like to know what others are doing and get ideas from that. I know there is a local club (kinda local), checked out there web site and I might have to stop in at their next meeting and say hi. I don't know anyone nearby that enjoys the addiction and apparently I don't have any real friends ;) because none of them are into it either.

Though the 13mm sizes intrigue me for the novelty, maybe the 18mm BB kit is the way to go. Good thing I have a few in the queue that it might be a while before I start the goony journey.

Phred
10-01-2007, 01:33 PM
The original GOONYS had 5.5" body tubes. Since the Baby Bertha has a 7.5" tube, most people just use the tube as is. It make the model a bit more stable. As these are the same diameter tubes, all of the decals fit fine on either length tube...

Ph

mrhemi1971
10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Now I know what to do with my leftover bt-80 nose cones...I like that cloud hopper....

scigs30
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I measured my Bt-60Rs from my Goony kits and from the Omega. The Bt-60R is 5 inches making it short. The problem you will have with cutting the BB tube down to 5 inches is the new PNC-60MS has a longer underside than the PNC-60L. So if you have a 5 inch body tube that does not leave much room for recovery materials. Here is a picture showing the 5 inch body tube, engine mount and both nose cones.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k211/scigs30/goony002.jpg

dtomko
10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
For my Missile Toe clone I cut off the bottom of the cone and glued on a disk of cardboard so the parachute wouldn't blow up inside the cone.

Drew

pantherjon
10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
And for y'all that are going to kit bash Baby Berthas into Goonies..I have found that A2Z Hobbies has the lowest price for the BB kits at $5.27 each :)

Link to A2Z Hobbies Baby Bertha page (http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Estes/Skill_1/EST-1261.html)

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I just made the little ones nose-blow recovery and I make sure to fly them over grass.

Phred
10-02-2007, 06:45 AM
I usually cut off the bottom funnel shaped portion of the cone when making a 5" Goony. Then I epoxy a screw eye to the inside of the cone.

Phred

tbzep
10-02-2007, 07:17 AM
I just made the little ones nose-blow recovery and I make sure to fly them over grass.

Nose blow recovery... Just paint a nose on the front instead of an eyeball. You already have the tissue paper wadding. If you could just get the ejection charge to sound like a sneeze instead of a shotgun you'd have something special! :D

Arley Davis
10-08-2007, 10:16 AM
If your looking for the RA-560 centering rings you can get them from Balsa Machining Service.

Also if you’re going to upscale a Goony, do it Big. My Daughter’s 5 times upscaled Estes Zoom Broom, on a J-570, Because it weight’s 26 lbs. It uses a 7.5” body Tube, and I did the decals, with the one of Her in the cockpit.

Maniac BAR
10-20-2007, 02:16 PM
That is a mega goony! :D

Man, I have been away for about two months and this place has gotten way too far ahead of me! :o I have had a few build sessions as well and they happen to fall into the forum's latest threads. I'll start posting them as I get throught all of the new threads.

Here is my goony fleet with the latest build of the Goonydent. After emailing Fred, I decided to do mine with BT-20 outboard tubes and place the fins on them as the original was. His plan placed them on the main BT-60 tubes but I thought that was just a little too goony for me. I liked the look of the original I have and wanted this one to be goony but still close to the orginal. He was concerned about stability but after two flights that has not been a problem. This bird is a great flyer but you will need a good size field for the D12 engines. Mine went at least 500/600'. There are some gootchas in the instructions so be careful how you align the outboard tube vents with the lower main body one. The vents have to be towards the front not the back! If you have built an original you willl know what to do. He also calls for a D12-3 engine, however, on mine it was way too early! It flew a nearly perfect flight on a -5 delay.

The Optigoon is my tribute to Fred for his excellent designs. BTW, Fred I have tried to contact you about it but have not gotten a reply. I would like to send you the fin pattern and decal scans for your use. :eek:

The third picture is my two goonies with the righthand one being the Goony Max (duh). However, the lefthand one is Mr. Tripp about to go goony around the house. If you have ever had a crazy kitty episode you will know what that means! :p

mikeyd
01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
After seeing some new Goonies on "The Other Forum" I Finally Decided to add a Goony of my own. It still needs the top conduit, sanding, sealing, and nose weight, but thought I would share it anyway.

Leo
01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
This goony stuff is getting outa control!

I LOVE IT :)

Rocket Doctor
01-26-2008, 03:12 PM
This goony stuff is getting outa control!

I LOVE IT :)

My poor Goony Baby Bertha??????

Ltvscout
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM
After seeing some new Goonies on "The Other Forum" I Finally Decided to add a Goony of my own. It still needs the top conduit, sanding, sealing, and nose weight, but thought I would share it anyway.
Cool! A Goonarc!

mikeyd
01-26-2008, 04:10 PM
My poor Goony Baby Bertha??????
Yep, Now it carries War-Heads!!

I could not resist the Goony-Marc

James Pierson
01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
mikeyd Quote:
Yep, Now it carries War-Heads!!
I could not resist the Goony-Marc

Now that's good stuff. LOL ;) Can't wait to see it painted!

James Pierson
NAR# 77907

Maniac BAR
01-26-2008, 05:14 PM
That is a really great one :p

Now what are you going to do for the decals! That is what really sets these things off from the rest of the rocket world.

Can't wait to see it finished and hear about the flight report.

This could very quickly go completely goony out of control :eek: Lets make some more!!

johnnwwa
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM
And for y'all that are going to kit bash Baby Berthas into Goonies..I have found that A2Z Hobbies has the lowest price for the BB kits at $5.27 each :)

Link to A2Z Hobbies Baby Bertha page (http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Estes/Skill_1/EST-1261.html)

Actually Hobbylic price is lower @ $5.19

BAR
John

Rocket Doctor
01-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Actually Hobbylic price is lower @ $5.19

BAR
John

Baby Bertha mania.......I didn't know that the Baby had siblings???????

johnnwwa
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Baby Bertha mania.......I didn't know that the Baby had siblings???????

Ahh maybe the Mini-Bertha :) And just got the decals from Fred.

BAR
John

Rocket Doctor
01-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Goony Mania is running wild..........Oh Yea !!!!!

mikeyd
01-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Goony-Marc coming along! Playing with The Testors Decal Maker for the Decals.

RD, Wish you got a commision on every Baby Bertha Kit!

Rocket Doctor
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM

RD, Wish you got a commision on every Baby Bertha Kit!

Me too !! Long live the Baby.....

CPMcGraw
01-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Me too !! Long live the Baby.....

RD,

I keep a couple on the rack unopened just for...emergencies...:D

Never know when a Goony moment will strike...:eek:

LeeR
01-28-2008, 12:34 AM

Love the Goony-Marc. Tell us more about the software, if you would . I've seen it at the hobby store, and wondered if it had reasonable drawing functions.

Also, has anyone tried printing decals on the low-end HP Color LaserJet -- the 2605?

Rocket Doctor
01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
RD,

I keep a couple on the rack unopened just for...emergencies...:D

Never know when a Goony moment will strike...:eek:

The Baby Bertha is in the top 5 sellers.

mikeyd
01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Love the Goony-Marc. Tell us more about the software, if you would . I've seen it at the hobby store, and wondered if it had reasonable drawing functions.

Also, has anyone tried printing decals on the low-end HP Color LaserJet -- the 2605?
The software is more ad-ware. If you want it to do anything you have to purchase the options. What it does allow, is to let you inport, and then size pictures form other "Paint" programs, and overlay text on them, as well as it has some pre built graphics with it, then print them to a their standard size decal paper. The decals are a pain to get ready. I ruined the first set, because I sprayed the top "fix" to thick, and it attcked the ink. It does come with some white background decal paper, so I am trying to setup white letters with black background, to lay on the black paint. We will see how the next set does.

mikeyd
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I finished up the decals, and they are more resiliant than expected. I had fold over on itself, and I was able to unfold it without tearing it. I did note one I did not get enough Fix agent on, and you could see the ink starting to come off in the water. Once again, put the fix on in multiple light coats!. In one of the pictures you can see the Decals I messed this up on!

ga1ba2
01-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I knows one when I sees one , never built one but just what is the definition of a Goony?
:D

LeeR
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
The software is more ad-ware.

[...]

mikeyd,

Thanks for the info. BTW -- it looks great. I'm inspired to try my hand at decals this year, as if I do not have enough other things to do, modroc-wise.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Don't remember the model number of my HP LaserJet, but I had some success printing on it a few years back. Lots of trial and error, (more error than anything,) but I eventually came up with some decent results. I know it was low end because it came with the computer and they never put high quality stuff in package deals like that.

maricopasem
01-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Sorry the picture isn't better, but here's my most recent Goony. I Goonified the Sizzler and renamed it the Guzzler. Perhaps it's not a true Goony because I used parts I had instead of a Baby Bertha kit, but I think it will be a fun one with 24mm motor.

barone
01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I knows one when I sees one , never built one but just what is the definition of a Goony?
Today, a Goony is basically any rocket that you kit bash from a Baby Bertha kit to make it resemble some other kit. In this thread, the Goony is modeled after a Bomarc (and a damn fine job he's doing...it looks great :) ). You can check out Excelsiors web site for some examples.

http://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id6.html

You can do a goony serch and fine lots of examples. The folks here can be pretty creative.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=2743&highlight=goony

Gingerdawg
01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

The estes catalog sez they are "The zaniest flying freaks in the universe"
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/catalogs/estes74/74est16.html

IMO, There are two kinds of Goonys. Phred, at Excelsior Rocketry, originated the idea of the Goony Retro-bash. Basicly a caricature of a classic (often Estes, but not limited) kit based on the Baby Bertha parts and nose cone. The second kind of Goony, isn't based on any existing or classic kit, just a zany rocket based(bashed) on the Baby Bertha or similar.
Semroc has come out with their line of Groonies, based on the original Estes designer sketches.
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-12
http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KA-11

Rocket Doctor
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
The Rocket Doctor loves Goony Mania............The Baby has many faces !!!

ga1ba2
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the explainations, Kinda thought it was something like that just wasn't sure. :rolleyes:

ga1ba2

Mark II
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
goony (noun) alt. sp. "gooney"; deriv.: Estes Indust. (1973) "Goonybird™" - stubby, large diameter model rocket with short, broad and thick fins, a bulbous nose cone and a certain unserious attitude. WARNING: please approach with irony, as subject may be droll and hilarious.

:D:D:D

Mark

tbzep
02-02-2008, 10:35 AM
goony (noun) alt. sp. "gooney"; deriv.: Estes Indust. (1973) "Goonybird™" - stubby, large diameter model rocket with short, broad and thick fins, a bulbous nose cone and a certain unserious attitude. WARNING: please approach with irony, as subject may be droll and hilarious.

:D:D:D

Mark

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gifhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-006.gif

mikeyd
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Here is the latest from the Goonie Skunkworks!. Sorry RD it was based on a Quest Full-Moon, had to save my BB for the Goony-Dent.

Leo
02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Ok, this is just too great :)

I've posted this on the other forum aswell.

I think the goonies deserve a special web page.

Therefore, if all think it's a good idea, I would set up a web page with a picture of all the goonies that have been built.

All you need to do is send me your best full resolution picture of the bird plus builder and goonie name. Email it to leo@nutz.de

If you have any special comments concerning the goonie you built add that aswell.

Comments?

Rocket Doctor
02-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Baby Bertha = Goony Mania
Keep em coming!!!

mikeyd
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Sandman, inspired me to start on my next Goonie! Wish I had his skills, for the transitions!

Excelsior has the Nike-G, How about a Nike-Goon! :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Ok, this is just too great :)

I've posted this on the other forum aswell.

I think the goonies deserve a special web page.

Therefore, if all think it's a good idea, I would set up a web page with a picture of all the goonies that have been built.

All you need to do is send me your best full resolution picture of the bird plus builder and goonie name. Email it to leo@nutz.de

If you have any special comments concerning the goonie you built add that aswell.

Comments?

I missed this the first time around. I'll get my pics together and shoot a few your way. :cool:

Leo
03-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Bill,

I posted this here and in the other forum.

I got in total of ... drum roll ..... 1 Email !!

So I scrapped the idea.

LeeR
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Bill,

I posted this here and in the other forum.

I got in total of ... drum roll ..... 1 Email !!

So I scrapped the idea.

Make that 2 emails now (or really another post suggesting the idea is a good one). I missed the post prior to now, but think it is a good one. I haven't done a Goony yet, but have enjoyed the posts I've seen, and the creativity is pretty amazing. If you were thinking of doing a dedicated Goony website, how about assembling a page on your current site dedicated to Goonies?

tbzep
03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm at the decal stage of my first one. I've got to wait until a warm dry day to clearcoat them and then I'll post. :)

the mole
03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I wish there was a place where everyone could post the wing and tail patterns for all the different goonys that have been posted. Is there a change there is such a place?