PDA

View Full Version : SpaceShipOne E

Royatl
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Anyone else gotten this rocket? I've had it for over a year and haven't built it yet (not so odd for me, I know).

If you've seen the RTF SpaceshipOne, you'll know almost exactly how the E ship is constructed, as it seems to be just a 2x scale up in every way.

One reason why I haven't built it yet is that I'm trying to figure out how to strengthen the booms so that they don't snap as soon as the rocket lands. I've bought carbon strips and thought of either laminating them to the sides or slotting the booms and gluing the strips into the slots. I've also thought of just taking some carbon fiber or some light fiberglass and wrapping the whole boom. In any case I'll have to paint it with white Testors so it doesn't attack the foam (Testors still doesn't attack foam, does it?).

Any other ideas?

CraigF
10-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Can't help, but I'm also curious about the paint. I have an SR-X that's just about ready for paint (that makes me even slower than you!), and there was extremely little "spare" foam to test on. Do you think I could test on a foam plate, looks like almost the same stuff...?

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Can't help, but I'm also curious about the paint. I have an SR-X that's just about ready for paint (that makes me even slower than you!), and there was extremely little "spare" foam to test on. Do you think I could test on a foam plate, looks like almost the same stuff...?

If my Death Star is any indication, go with something extremely non-aggressive. The Death Star looks like it's in need of a serious dermal abrasion. :eek:

CraigF
10-02-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm pretty sure lacquer/Krylon-type paints are out. I've read Testors enamel is OK. I will test on the plates, it really does look the same as the "shiny" foam the SSO etc. bodies are made of. Definitely water-based paints would be fine...is there such a thing as spray-can latex? I have a cheap Badger airbrush but have never used it, I wonder if it would do a water-based artists paint.

barone
10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Anyone else gotten this rocket? I've had it for over a year and haven't built it yet (not so odd for me, I know).

If you've seen the RTF SpaceshipOne, you'll know almost exactly how the E ship is constructed, as it seems to be just a 2x scale up in every way.

One reason why I haven't built it yet is that I'm trying to figure out how to strengthen the booms so that they don't snap as soon as the rocket lands. I've bought carbon strips and thought of either laminating them to the sides or slotting the booms and gluing the strips into the slots. I've also thought of just taking some carbon fiber or some light fiberglass and wrapping the whole boom. In any case I'll have to paint it with white Testors so it doesn't attack the foam (Testors still doesn't attack foam, does it?).

Any other ideas?
Are the booms hollow? If so, how about some expanding foam?

Rocket Doctor
10-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Try some balsa strips along the biims,
As far as paint goes, there is paint available that is friendly towards styrofoam, go to any craft store and ask.

Solomoriah
10-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm pretty sure lacquer/Krylon-type paints are out. I've read Testors enamel is OK. I will test on the plates, it really does look the same as the "shiny" foam the SSO etc. bodies are made of. Definitely water-based paints would be fine...is there such a thing as spray-can latex? I have a cheap Badger airbrush but have never used it, I wonder if it would do a water-based artists paint.
Yes, there are latex rattlecan paints available from Krylon... don't know how they work on foam though. Wal-Mart sells them.

Here's more info:

http://www.krylon.com/sprayyourway/h2oproducts/

JRThro
10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
In any case I'll have to paint it with white Testors so it doesn't attack the foam (Testors still doesn't attack foam, does it?).

Any other ideas?
Roy, I painted my Death Star with Testor's flat gray spray paint with no ill effects on the foam at all.

moonzero2
10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes, there are latex rattlecan paints available from Krylon... don't know how they work on foam though. Wal-Mart sells them.

Here's more info:

I see they have White Primer listed here. Has anyone tried this Krylon Latex White Primer? Is it sandable?

CraigF
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Here's more info:

Doh, I checked my (vast) store of sprayers and I do have some primers in latex. It was cheap stuff, a "Canadian" brand, and IIRC what I didn't like about that primer was it didn't cover well because it went on so thin. In that I use (Krylon etc.) primer to cover up any surface flaws. But for spraying on foam, it may be just the thing.

Solomoriah
10-02-2007, 07:31 PM
I see they have White Primer listed here. Has anyone tried this Krylon Latex White Primer? Is it sandable?
It seems that someone said it isn't. I'll stick with my cheapo Dollar General primer, it works fine...

CraigF
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I guess that's what I meant by the latex primer I've used: it isn't sandable. For using on light foam, that doesn't seem to be a huge lacking?? Bear in mind I've never used it on foam...