PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Rocket on Ebay ouch

scigs30
10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I do not collect Centuri kits, but wasn't this a starter kit back in the day just like the Estes Alpha?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120166805980&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

tbzep
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
It was available with the "Powr Pad" as a starter set like the Alpha III starter set. I have a Screamin Eagle starter set that I got off eBay last year. The rocket was already built (poorly). It had to be repaired before I flew it, but the pad was in near new condition. I got the whole thing including original box, instructions, etc. for a price close to what starter sets cost today.

K.M.Knox
10-05-2007, 10:07 AM
There were a few not so older Centuri kits a week ago that all ended in the $120's I think. There was a Scorpion that I would have loved to get but it's hard for me to justify that kind of money...

pantherjon
10-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Criminy!:eek: And the bid skyrocketed from $35.00 to $222.22 in 1 bid..crazy...shakes head and mutters something about fools and money going separate directions....

tbzep
10-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Criminy!:eek: And the bid skyrocketed from $35.00 to $222.22 in 1 bid..crazy...shakes head and mutters something about fools and money going separate directions....

It wasn't just one bid. Somebody put a huge maximum bid in and all the folks that bid after that didn't show up because their bids were lower than his. If I were to bid $1000, ebay will only bid the lowest amount above the current bid, which would be somewhere around $225. There's no way a single bid will jump from $35 up to $222 in one bid because of that feature.

tfischer
10-05-2007, 02:29 PM
It wasn't just one bid. Somebody put a huge maximum bid in and all the folks that bid after that didn't show up because their bids were lower than his. If I were to bid $1000, ebay will only bid the lowest amount above the current bid, which would be somewhere around $225. There's no way a single bid will jump from $35 up to $222 in one bid because of that feature.

Sure it could. Bidder A could have, like you said, bid $225, but currently had the bid at, say, $20.
Bidder B comes in and bids $223. He is outbid (by Bidder A's max proxy bid), but Bidder A now has it at $224 (or whatever).

One bid causes the (apparent) amount to rise from $20 to $224...

-Tim

tbzep
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Sure it could. Bidder A could have, like you said, bid $225, but currently had the bid at, say, $20.
Bidder B comes in and bids $223. He is outbid (by Bidder A's max proxy bid), but Bidder A now has it at $224 (or whatever).

One bid causes the (apparent) amount to rise from $20 to $224...

-Tim

To me, that's two bids. Bidder B makes his bid, and eBay automagically bids again for bidder A. :)

I know it's a point of view thing. You are explaining it where Bidder B is the only one to physically do anything. I see each electronic jump in price as a seperate bid. :cool:

tfischer
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
To me, that's two bids. Bidder B makes his bid, and eBay automagically bids again for bidder A. :)

I know it's a point of view thing. You are explaining it where Bidder B is the only one to physically do anything. I see each electronic jump in price as a seperate bid. :cool:

Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant it would take more than one bid (a bid being an actual human typing in an amount) after the first one.

As my wife will tell you, I often misunderstand things or am just plain wrong! :D

-Tim

A Fish Named Wallyum
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I have two. My most recent one cost me $10. ;)

tbzep
10-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Ah, gotcha. I thought you meant it would take more than one bid (a bid being an actual human typing in an amount) after the first one.

As my wife will tell you, I often misunderstand things or am just plain wrong! :D

-Tim

You definately aren't wrong. We just have different terminology. :)

lurker01
10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
I do not collect Centuri kits, but wasn't this a starter kit back in the day just like the Estes Alpha?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120166805980&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Wow that final price was a surprise!

Robert

dtomko
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow that final price was a surprise!

Robert

Ouch! That's just ridiculous.

I was looking at a couple of Centuri kits on ebay; there was a half Centaur, a Centaur clone, and what looked like a decently finished T-Bird. I put a couple bids in just to check. I gave up on the Centaurs when I noticed I could get the parts from Semroc for about 15 bucks ( I have enough balsa)! Sheesh. The T-Bird went for somewhere around $25 - a steal, I think - but if I had kept bidding I am sure the winner was going to go higher.

Drew