PDA

View Full Version : Nose cone question

emolczan
10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm new here and already have question. :) I recently bought an Estes Designer Special
and it included the following nose cone. Can someone tell me what kit this was from?

I flew Estes stuff as a kid and as I got back into rocketry I mostly built scratch scale stuff,
working mostly through Peter Alway's book. So I'm not up on what Estes has offered lately.

Thanks for any clues.

Eric

foose4string
10-08-2007, 06:14 PM
This is from the OOP Sidewinder kit. Molded together, but there's actually two pieces there, the nose cone itself and a plastic midsection. They get cut into two pieces at the narrowest spot and then have a section of BT55 glued between them during the build. Of course, you can use it for whatever you want.

emolczan
10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Sidewinder, thanks. I had a feeling it was meant to be cut apart. I'll throw it in the parts box for now. Maybe some day I'll clone one.

Eric

Skippy
10-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Sidewinder, thanks. I had a feeling it was meant to be cut apart. I'll throw it in the parts box for now. Maybe some day I'll clone one.

Eric

Here are the plans, clone one now :)

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2125/est2125.htm

foose4string
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
This one's on my "to do" list also. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I plan do upgrade to a 24mm mount when I do. Also wondering if I should even bother canting the fins?

ScaleNut
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
the canted fin gives it the sidewinder flight profile........ sorta

emolczan
10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Here are the plans, clone one now :)

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est2125/est2125.htm

Thanks for the link. I'd build it now but the Sidewinder just doesn't interest me that much. Is this NC readily available? I'd be willing to trade it to somebody if its not easy to come by.

foose4string
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
It's still fairly common. I see them regularly in the PNC55 nose cone packs. Usually 2 out of the 4 cones in the bag are this one, but I've also seen several bags where all 4 cones have been Sidewinder cones! So no, not rare at all. I think some interesting scratch designs could be built with them, but I haven't seen too many examples yet.