PDA

View Full Version : Brown craft paper tubes, over 18" long?

Phred
10-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know of a vendor that supoplies those classic, Brown craft paper, glassine covered tubes that we all know and love, that are over 18" long?

Phred

Shreadvector
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know of a vendor that supoplies those classic, Brown craft paper, glassine covered tubes that we all know and love, that are over 18" long?

Phred

I sell 36 inch long BT-5, 20, 50 and 55 tubes made by Euclid Spiral Paper Tube Company.

I have a LOT of BT-5 and not so many of the rest at this point in time.

http://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/prdctinf.pdf

Phred
10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Hi Fred,

Thanks, I will be placing an order soon. The heartbreaker is that I am really searching for BT-60. Arrgh! :(

Oh well.

I can still use the other though!!

Ph

foose4string
10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm guessing your talking spiral wound. Euclid seems like the common direct source for most vendors these days, but there are probably others. I've gotten the 36" brown tubes through BMS in the past, but it's been over a year, maybe more since I've order tubes from them. Not sure if they are still going that route. Jonrocket carries some nice quality brown tubes, but he only sells in 18" lengths, but maybe he can help find what your looking for. His tubes look like they come from the same source as the Fliskit tubes, which is another vendor you could probably look into. Those tubes are my favorite to work with, they seem a bit sturdier then any others I've used recently. But, I'm not too picky when it comes to tubes.

tbzep
10-26-2007, 02:37 PM
My last BMS tube purchase was all white tubes. I don't think they were offering brown at the time. I don't recall seeing it in the online catalog, but I've been known to overlook things.

Doug Sams
10-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know of a vendor that supoplies those classic, Brown craft paper, glassine covered tubes that we all know and love, that are over 18" long? Alright, Phred, since no one else is doing it, I have to ask: Why do they need to be brown? Why won't white work?

Doug
Unintentionally alliterative today....

Phred
10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I just plain old like'em better.

I prefer the brown tubes as they are a bit stiffer than comparable white tubes. I also find thatthe spiral tends to be wider or deeper in the white tubes.....

And... I received a BMS order today: all white tubes.

Ph

sandman
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I use white tubes all the time but yea...I like the brown ones better.

foose4string
10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
My last BMS tube purchase was all white tubes. I don't think they were offering brown at the time. I don't recall seeing it in the online catalog, but I've been known to overlook things.
You know, now that you mention it, it's been a few years since I got the brown ones from BMS. My last order from them WERE indeed white.(like I said, about a year or more ago). They must have switched over at some point in between.

Ltvscout
10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
What about the tubes from Totally Tubular? Buzz, are TT's tubes brown?

It's been so long since I last ordered from TT that I don't recall.

sandman
10-26-2007, 10:56 PM

No, all of TT tubes are white...oh wait...I'm not Buzz. :eek:

dtomko
10-26-2007, 11:11 PM
TT's tubes are white.

Red Arrow Hobbies has brown ones, but I believe only up to 18" lengths for BT-60.

Drew

Phred
10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
All the tubes from TT are white as far as I know. I have never rec'd brown tubes from TT.

Ph

Ltvscout
10-27-2007, 09:58 AM
All the tubes from TT are white as far as I know. I have never rec'd brown tubes from TT.
I prefer the brown tubes myself, if nothing else but for the "retro" factor.

Maybe there's a reason people are having the white tubes made. Carl, Semroc is using white tubes. Any reason for going with this type of tube vs the old style brown Kraft tube?

scigs30
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Estes still sells brown kraft tubes.

Phred
10-27-2007, 01:27 PM
My completely uneductaed guess would be price. As mentioned, ESTES is back to them, Fliskits uses them, Red Arrow uses them.....

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Ph

foose4string
10-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I'll bet they can be ordered from Euclid both ways. I have to agree with Fred and say it's probably a cost thing, but I can't see where it would be more than a few cents either way per tube. When your talking a LARGE order, those pennies probably add up. I certainly don't ding any kit points for white tubes, they work pretty well, but the brown ones just feel good. The new Interceptor tube was nice to work with.

scigs30
10-28-2007, 01:46 PM
I like the brown Glassine tubes myself and have a stock pile from Estes. I don't know why white is now being used. The new Interceptor has a brown tube and it came nice and round. I have 10 new Der Red Max kits and all the white tubes are oval. I wish Semroc would go to brown since they have an awesome choice of tube sizes. I would pay the difference if it cost more than the white tubes it sure beats me cutting my own tubes.

Brian L Raney
10-29-2007, 01:59 AM
Never tried these guys, as they don't ship to Canada, but you might find some of what you're looking for here:

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php?ref=BRSHobbies&recview=11&dt=1129&disp=name

Phred
10-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks!! I have just ordered from them, and will give a report.

Phred

Carl@Semroc
10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
We have always used white tubes since 1968. I always liked the white surface instead of brown for painting since it uses slightly less paint to get it to a white base coat. (lazy... I know) I always liked bleached kraft (white) instead of unbleached kraft (brown) in napkins, paper, etc. since it seemed to look a little more expensive. (Snobbish...I know) When we started back up in 2002, we kept the white tubes and white boxes as a "trademark" to set us apart from others; to make us a little different.

I don't think there is much difference in the strength of the tubes due to the outer paper type. Most of the standard tubes are either .013" or .020/.021" wall thickness. The .013" are two wraps of kraft paper and a final wrap of glassine. The .020/.021" are three wraps of kraft paper and a final wrap of glassine. The seams of the last paper wrap and the glassine wrap are both much closer than they were years ago so the tubes seem smoother. If you look inside the thin tubes (BT-5, BT-20) the white wrap shows since the first wrap does not meet as close as the last wrap. If you look in an all brown tube, it has the same gap, but is not as noticeable since the color of both wraps is the same.

We pay more for "white" tubes and rings than we would for "brown" and we pay more for white boxes than we would for brown, but it is not because they are better, it is just because that is what we want to do to help "brand" our products.

When we added the "Estes" sized tubes, we almost went with brown so we could tell ST-13 and BT-55 tubes apart, as well as ST-16 and BT-60. We resisted, so we have to keep them on opposite sides of the room so they don't get mixed together. :eek:

foose4string
10-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the explanation Carl, very insightful. I thought for sure it would be a cost decision. Since many have gone to the white tubes in recent years, it seemed like a logical conclusion. But it does make sense that the white tubes cost more, because of the extra processing that goes into making white paper. But something to consider, if Semroc ever decided to go brown on the Estes sizes, I don't think anyone would mind. It would save the company money, and like you said, it would help with keeping inventory straight. The idea of "branding" the tubes by color is smart though. I'll buy a Semroc kit either way, hasn't stopped me thus far. ;) :D

Phred
10-29-2007, 02:03 PM
THanks Carl,

A case of 'perception is all'? Or just plain old nostalgia on my part. Thanks to everyone who provided links. I received 1 set of BT5 through BT55 tubes from Fred today, and just ordered BT60s from BRS.

And no, tube color would NEVER prevent me from purchasing a Semroc kit, be they white or brown tubes.

Phred

UMRS
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Scott last I know of Jims stash, he had some brown tubes. Dont know the sizes however.

Tom Swift
11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Never tried these guys, as they don't ship to Canada, but you might find some of what you're looking for here:

http://www.brshobbies.com/catalog.php?ref=BRSHobbies&recview=11&dt=1129&disp=name
I ordered from BRS Hobbies last Spring. The tubes were brown and of excellent quality. Nice and rigid, with small shallow seams. Hope they still carry them as I need to place another order soon. Only 18" long though.