PDA

View Full Version : How long has Krylon been around?

scigs30
10-29-2007, 02:49 PM
I was looking at my directions to my Estes Mars lander and noticed a picture of the landing gear with paint next to them. On the can of spray paint you can see that it is Krylon. I am guessing the directions were made in the early to mid 70's.

ghrocketman
10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Krylon has been around a lot longer than the Mars Lander, which came out in 1969 or 1970.

Royatl
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I was looking at my directions to my Estes Mars lander and noticed a picture of the landing gear with paint next to them. On the can of spray paint you can see that it is Krylon. I am guessing the directions were made in the early to mid 70's.

Pretty sure it has been around since the 50's. At least the very early 60's. The name sorta puts it in the 40's/50's as products were sometimes named after other substances to give them some of the same cache'. Nylon was considered very tough, so if a paint maker wanted customers to think it's brand of spray paint was pretty tough, might make up a name based on nylon.

----- and then, turning to the game board, "the Survey says...."

"Krylon® History

More than 50 years ago, two gentlemen named Foster & Kester created Krylon® products. They had been manufacturing a clear acrylic coating to protect artwork and print advertisements when, in 1947, E.I. duPont de Nemours and Company introduced aerosol technology. Krylon® aerosol clear coatings soon followed. Howard Kester developed the brand name Krylon® by combining his last name with the word Nylon®, another recent invention from duPont. Initial sales of Krylon® clear aerosol coatings were limited to the artist-advertising trade, but business quickly grew as color coatings were added to the Krylon® product line. By 1965, Krylon® was the largest U.S. producer of aerosol paints, with 112 different products and $7 million in annual sales. "

http://www.krylon.com/main/level_template.cfm?levelid=1&sub_levelid=1&content=sub_level

Pretty darn close, eh?