PDA

View Full Version : Launch photos or lack thereof

DaveR
10-30-2007, 12:43 AM
A couple of weeks ago, my son and I launched a few rockets. I took along the digital camera and it didn't take long to realize my photography skills stink. Most of my launch pics provide nothing more than a smoke trail; however, I did manage 1 rather cool pic (or at least I think so) of the moment of ignition of a C6-3.
If you'll notice, the rocket is still resting on my "custom made" standoff about halfway up the launch rod.

Apparently, I lost some image quality when I reduced the images, my apologies. I have no idea what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

mojo1986
10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
You shouldn't be so apologetic............90% of us have the same problems. And by the way, that really is a nice grab of your engine at the moment of ignition. You should be sure to save that one!

Joe

Green Dragon
10-30-2007, 08:52 AM
not bad pics, good focus and color.

Launch photos are TOUGH ... not sure how Tzep gets em ..... especially on digital.

My bro used to take all our pics ( he's an ammateur shutterbug who took a few classes while at RIT ) , and even he has trouble with smoke trails, cut off nosecones, or the opposite = just at ignition before movement .. it's truly an art, and more than a little luck.

(ps: and my bro has had nothing but issues since switching to digital from his SLR 35mm stuff, keep trying to get him to go back to film, but he wants to play with the Olympus ... )

~ AL

Green Dragon
10-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Saved that launch pic.

Neat looking bird - is that 100% scratchbuiult ?

guessing BT55 due tot he long conical nose...

is the visible lug ( halfway up the tube ), the only launch lug ? ( might cock on the rod if thats not at the CG ) .

again, neat model, keep em coming .

~ AL

... who will post some more of his own pics once my home computer is up and running ( ethernet card/ connection issues :(

JoeLaunchman
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Those are very good pictures, and I'd also like to hear how you built that pad, what materials, etc.

For launch picts, I'm a strong advocate of good old-fashioned 35mm film. You don't have that momentary delay between button and shutter with digital cameras. My technique is to press the shutter when I first hear the sound of ignition.

DaveR
10-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the compliments. My son is 6 so it took a couple of launches before I figured out his countdown enough to grab that pic. Really it's just dumb luck.

Saved that launch pic.

Neat looking bird - is that 100% scratchbuiult ?

guessing BT55 due tot he long conical nose...

is the visible lug ( halfway up the tube ), the only launch lug ? ( might cock on the rod if thats not at the CG ) .

again, neat model, keep em coming .

~ AL

You are correct sir, 100% scratch. The nose cone is a 55BB. Basswood fins. It also has a tail cone (from a Bullpup kit) that is part of the "Particle Cannon" engine mount. (My bizarre engine mount system that eliminates the need for a stuffer tube (sort of), probably adds a little weight to the rear though but I don't mind and my son thinks it's cool :cool: )
Yes, that is the only lug. It was originally going to be 36" long but I changed my mind after I had glued the lug on. Haven't had any issues as of yet. This rocket really is a good flyer.

Those are very good pictures, and I'd also like to hear how you built that pad, what materials, etc.

Sorry, no info on the pad. It was in with a bunch of things I got from a fellow who was looking to get rid of his rocket stuff. I think it may be some sort of Quest pad but I have no evidence that it is. If you want, I'd be glad to get the specs and post here.

tbzep
10-30-2007, 11:37 AM
The pad looks like an old Quest PVC unit. It could be homemade too.

As for dumb luck, that's my area of expertise. Looks like you nailed it good on your first time out. :)

Green Dragon
10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments. My son is 6 so it took a couple of launches before I figured out his countdown enough to grab that pic. Really it's just dumb luck.

You are correct sir, 100% scratch. The nose cone is a 55BB. Basswood fins. It also has a tail cone (from a Bullpup kit) that is part of the "Particle Cannon" engine mount. (My bizarre engine mount system that eliminates the need for a stuffer tube (sort of), probably adds a little weight to the rear though but I don't mind and my son thinks it's cool :cool: )
Yes, that is the only lug. It was originally going to be 36" long but I changed my mind after I had glued the lug on. Haven't had any issues as of yet. This rocket really is a good flyer.

Sorry, no info on the pad. It was in with a bunch of things I got from a fellow who was looking to get rid of his rocket stuff. I think it may be some sort of Quest pad but I have no evidence that it is. If you want, I'd be glad to get the specs and post here.

might have to steal your design , lol :D

would be a nice bird for BARclone, actually, do you have the fin pattern or rocksim file available, sure Craig would like this one ( good use for all those PNC-55BB I have laying around - keep getitng those in nosecone paks I buy for the PNC-55AC's ) .

not sure on the pad, might be quest as noted, or, I could be mistaken, but didn't pre-Estes North Coast offer a PVC pad as well ?

~ AL

tbzep
10-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure on NCR. That pad looks a little small for the mid/high power kits they had.

Take a look at the Quest pad. It looks the same to me minus the decals and black end caps.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/92qst04.jpg

Initiator001
10-30-2007, 06:09 PM

For launch picts, I'm a strong advocate of good old-fashioned 35mm film. You don't have that momentary delay between button and shutter with digital cameras. My technique is to press the shutter when I first hear the sound of ignition.

This is true of digital cameras UNLESS you are using a digital SLR camera.

I have a Canon EOS 20D and it can shoot five frames per second.

I can usually get a liftoff shot with this camera. :D

Zeus-cat
10-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Sadmug,

Might I suggest you crop your photos on the left and right keeping the rocket centered in the photo. Windows Picture Manager allows you to crop a photo in seconds. Getting rid of all the grass on the sides will allow you to post a better photo of the rocket since you won't need to reduce the size of the photo so much to post it.

Like Intiator001 I also have an EOS 20D; great camera for rocket pics. I always start taking photos at the 2 second point in the countdown to be sure I get a photo of the ignition. Of course, the last time I went 2 little kids were in charge of the launch controller and the countdown. 5...4...2...3...4...1...2......... I got 20 shots of my friend's Aerotech Intiator just sitting on the pad before I finally stopped taking photos. Two seconds later they pushed the button and the Intiator roared away.

By the way, I think your photo just after ignition is a great shot. Well done.

DaveR
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure on NCR. That pad looks a little small for the mid/high power kits they had.

Take a look at the Quest pad. It looks the same to me minus the decals and black end caps.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/92qst04.jpg

I do believe this is the pad I have. It has the black caps on the legs and there was quite a bit of Quest items (kits, motors, etc.) in the stuff I got. I also have the PVC NCR pad which was also in with all the stuff. It has a broken leg so I need to replace it. Below is a partial listing of some the goodies I scored:

Complete kits still in bags/boxes::
Estes--
1204 Streak
2002 Thunderhawk
1208 Skyhook
0873 Hawkeye
0872 Sparrow
2008 Yellow Jacket
1973 Interceptor II
0601 Mosquito (2 kits)
1937 Astro
1938 Laser
0898 Explorer
0872 Sparrow
0678 Scout III
1940 Marte Mark II
2011 Super Nova
1274 Klingon Battle Cruiser!
2158 AGM Heatseeker
1997 Pathfinder
2061 Rampage
1271 Baby Bertha
1301 Stormcaster
1223 Big Bertha (Old style with stripes)
1936 Sunbird
1225 Alpha (PNC; Red and black and white version)
1225 Alpha (PNC: Red and blue and white version)
7163 Twister
1381 Yankee
1972 Bullpup 12D
K-2 Mark II

Quest--
Big Betty
Icarus
Commander

Other companies--
MRC TR104-- Hornet
MPC -- Tomahawk

Plus about 90 Engines and 3 large rubbermaid tubs filled with old magazines, decals, tubes, face cards, plans, nosecones, and parachutes)

Definately the sweetest deal I've ever made.

DaveR
10-31-2007, 12:51 PM
might have to steal your design , lol :D

would be a nice bird for BARclone, actually, do you have the fin pattern or rocksim file available, sure Craig would like this one ( good use for all those PNC-55BB I have laying around - keep getitng those in nosecone paks I buy for the PNC-55AC's ) .

not sure on the pad, might be quest as noted, or, I could be mistaken, but didn't pre-Estes North Coast offer a PVC pad as well ?

~ AL

You don't have to steal it, I'll give it up willingly. :) It's just a 3FNC, nothing fancy.
1 - 18" BT-55
1 - PNC55BB (NO nose weight added)
I'll trace my extra fin (if I can find it) and post in this thread.
The tail cone is a different story, I'll try to take some pics so you can see what I mean.
Sorry, Don't have rocksim. Out here in the country, it either flies or it don't. :D

barone
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
I do believe this is the pad I have. It has the black caps on the legs and there was quite a bit of Quest items (kits, motors, etc.) in the stuff I got. I also have the PVC NCR pad which was also in with all the stuff. It has a broken leg so I need to replace it. Below is a partial listing of some the goodies I scored:

Complete kits still in bags/boxes::
Estes--
1204 Streak
2002 Thunderhawk
1208 Skyhook
0873 Hawkeye
0872 Sparrow
2008 Yellow Jacket
1973 Interceptor II
0601 Mosquito (2 kits)
1937 Astro
1938 Laser
0898 Explorer
0872 Sparrow
0678 Scout III
1940 Marte Mark II
2011 Super Nova
1274 Klingon Battle Cruiser!
2158 AGM Heatseeker
1997 Pathfinder
2061 Rampage
1271 Baby Bertha
1301 Stormcaster
1223 Big Bertha (Old style with stripes)
1936 Sunbird
1225 Alpha (PNC; Red and black and white version)
1225 Alpha (PNC: Red and blue and white version)
7163 Twister
1381 Yankee
1972 Bullpup 12D
K-2 Mark II

Quest--
Big Betty
Icarus
Commander

Other companies--
MRC TR104-- Hornet
MPC -- Tomahawk

Plus about 90 Engines and 3 large rubbermaid tubs filled with old magazines, decals, tubes, face cards, plans, nosecones, and parachutes)

Definately the sweetest deal I've ever made.
And I thought Phred scored good...... :eek: