PDA

View Full Version : White Casket, er Castle AKA "Tiny Burger Thread"

JRThro
06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
And what's a 'White Castle'?"
:D :rolleyes: :eek: :p p
Ooh! They have White Castles in Wisconsin??? I *KNOW* I'll be there, then!

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Ooh! They have White Castles in Wisconsin??? I *KNOW* I'll be there, then!

I was kidding, but I could swear that when Scott and I pulled off the expressway, a White Castle was one of the first things we saw.
If they're there, I'm buying. ;) :cool:

JRThro
06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
I was kidding, but I could swear that when Scott and I pulled off the expressway, a White Castle was one of the first things we saw.
And if you're buying, I'm there!

JRThro
06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I checked at www.whitecastle.com, and there are at least 3 White Castles in the Milwaukee/Kenosha area. :eek: :rolleyes: :o :) :p

See here: http://tinyurl.com/9xskr

Ltvscout
06-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I checked at www.whitecastle.com, and there are at least 3 White Castles in the Milwaukee/Kenosha area. :eek: :rolleyes: :o :) :p

See here: http://tinyurl.com/9xskr
Heh, I stand corrected. I just made a post (since deleted) that there aren't any in WI. I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held. ;)

dtomko
06-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Heh, I stand corrected. I just made a post (since deleted) that there aren't any in WI. I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held. ;)
This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them. I think I still have remnants coursing through my bloodstream from all that I ate in high school.

Next you'll be telling me someone's bringing a few cases of PBR or Piels to wash them down.

Drew Tomko

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them. I think I still have remannats coursing through my bloodstream from all that I ate in high school.

Next you'll be telling me someone's bringing a few cases of PBR or Piels to wash them down.

Drew Tomko

:D
Must be a regional thing. I think of Wiedemann when I eat White Castles. I'm gettin this mental picture of a chambermaid crying in the hall outside a certain Kenosha motel room. Everyone assumes she's found a dead body until a guy in a "Why Yes, I Am A Rocket Scientist" t-shirt walks out of the room, followed by a near-lethal cloud of "exhaust". Seeing this sends the maid screeching down the hall where she tries to jump through the window into the parking lot.

CPMcGraw
06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
This isn't funny. There are few things that can pull me immediately off the road when I'm driving. White Castle is one of them.

I see that there is one in Kenosha, which just so happens to be the city where NARCON is being held.

And if you're buying, I'm there!

Folks,

Down here in Mobile, and in various other places along the Gulf Coast, we have our own variation of the White Castle. It's called a Krystal, and the description of the little burgers is identical. One of them is certainly the original, and the other a direct copy, down to the size of the buns and patties.

The way Krystals are cooked is in every way the same. When I watched the Food Channel "Unwrapped" segment on White Castle, the technique for laying out the onions, then the patties, and then the buns with a lid placed over them to steam them, is absolutely the same technique used at Krystal. They're finished off with a squirt of mustard and a pickle.

So, if you're ever down this way, now you know what to look for! A different name, perhaps, but the same taste and after-effect!

Craig...

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-23-2005, 11:40 PM
I discovered Krystal back in college. We noticed one on a football road trip and stopped for a sack. Then a few hours later we noticed another one and stopped for another sack. My buddy still lets me have it for that. I think I ate about 20 in the course of the two stops. I love 'em, and I even introduced my parents (avowed Whitey lovers) to them on the way back from spring break this year. Neither chain is entirely consistent in the preparation. Some White Castles are served with mustard, some with ketchup, some with pickle, some with a combination of these. In the Cincy/Northern KY area, it's just a pickle. Krystal is the same way. Some of them use fresh onion in place of the steamed onion, pickle and onion. Like you said, the end result is similar, and I've grown to love both.
(I should mention that I'm a member of the White Castle Cravers Hall Of Fame. Somewhere on the website is the story that I sent them to start myself down the road to this honor. I've got a pin and everything.)

JRThro
06-24-2005, 11:07 AM
(I should mention that I'm a member of the White Castle Cravers Hall Of Fame. Somewhere on the website is the story that I sent them to start myself down the road to this honor. I've got a pin and everything.)
I can't even begin to imagine how proud you must be.

Doug Sams
06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Folks,
Down here in Mobile, and in various other places along the Gulf Coast, we have our own variation of the White Castle. It's called a Krystal,

I've had those. There used to be another one, too - Jiffy Burger, IIRC. We had one in central Kentucky. Later, it was a Claudia Sanders (Anybody want to take at swag at whose wife she was?)

I want to say there's another WC clone still around, but the name escapes me...or maybe I'm thinking of Krystal.

Doug

ScaleNut
06-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Folks,

Down here in Mobile, and in various other places along the Gulf Coast, we have our own variation of the White Castle. It's called a Krystal, and the description of the little burgers is identical. One of them is certainly the original, and the other a direct copy, down to the size of the buns and patties.

The way Krystals are cooked is in every way the same. When I watched the Food Channel "Unwrapped" segment on White Castle, the technique for laying out the onions, then the patties, and then the buns with a lid placed over them to steam them, is absolutely the same technique used at Krystal. They're finished off with a squirt of mustard and a pickle.

So, if you're ever down this way, now you know what to look for! A different name, perhaps, but the same taste and after-effect!

Craig...

both restarants are plentifull around here ,, the big difference is white castle uses spicey brown mustard and krystal uses yellow mustard.. the tastes is quite different(I preferr white castle) the secret to krystal is that they use a reconstituted dry onion bits, I'm guessing white castle uses plain old chopped onions .