PDA

View Full Version : My first real model rocket kit launch.

Alan
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi, I just joined, but I am not new to model rockets! :) Tomorrow I will launch the first model rocket kit I have ever built. :D It is an Alpha model rocket from Estes. I will post results tomorrow.

Intruder
11-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Good luck. Don't land it in a tree. :D (Hope I didn't jinx you!)

Alan
11-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Dont worry, I have never landed one in a tree. (Oops, that means I am bound to. :eek: )

:D

CPMcGraw
11-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi, I just joined, but I am not new to model rockets! :) Tomorrow I will launch the first model rocket kit I have ever built. :D It is an Alpha model rocket from Estes. I will post results tomorrow.

Alan,

The Alpha is a great first rocket. You'll get a lot of flight time with it because it is such a nice flyer. I presume your avatar is a photo of your model?

For a real experience in models, however, you need to collect the parts to build a clone of the early K-25 version, with a balsa nose cone and balsa fins. :D No plastic allowed!

The nearest alternate to the Alpha is the Quest Astra. It is also a good flyer, and builds nearly identically.

Browse over to the "Scrounged..." threads for some scratch-build designs from the past two years. These two threads, and the new "Designer's Studio" thread, is where you will see the newest BARCLONE originals before they appear on the BARCLONE website. You'll need a copy of RockSim to open and view RKT files...

Welcome to the asylum, Alan! :D

Green Dragon
11-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Alan,

Welcome to our little asyllum here in cyberland .

where are you in New York ????

I'm in the Binghamton area myself - other forum mebers are in NY as well ( Albany area, Syracuse, etc ) , also a few god clubs to fly with, depending on your location .

~ AL

( another Allen, does that make us kindred spirits, lol :D )

tbzep
11-10-2007, 09:29 AM
The nearest alternate to the Alpha is the Quest Astra. It is also a good flyer, and builds nearly identically.

The Centuri Astro-1 is a great alternative too. Semroc's version has a balsa nosecone. :)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/tbzep/Rockets/Fleet/DSC_0018.jpg

CPMcGraw
11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
The Centuri Astro-1 is a great alternative too. Semroc's version has a balsa nosecone.

Now how could I possibly have missed that one? :o

Alan
11-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Well, I just got back from launch. I launched the rocket, it went the highest I have ever launched one, I took my eyes off of it for a second, and it was gone. Oh well, I got a great launch! :D

barone
11-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, I just got back from launch. I launched the rocket, it went the highest I have ever launched one, I took my eyes off of it for a second, and it was gone. Oh well, I got a great launch! :D
Yep....a second is all it takes...The good thing is that it's easily replaceable. The bad thing....your first rocket. What did you fly it with?

The last time I flew my Alpha, I used an A8-3. Drifted into a neiborhood about half mile away. Didn't think I'd find it, but there it was, in someones front yard. Yep, next time I think that rocket will fly on a streamer....

Alan
11-10-2007, 03:49 PM
The last time I flew my Alpha, I used an A8-3

I used a C6-7...

I hate to think where it is now... ;)

barone
11-10-2007, 03:57 PM
I used a C6-7...

Well, maybe Pennsylvannia...... :eek:

tbzep
11-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I used a C6-7...

Yikes!

Always start out with a small motor to check wind conditions above the tree line. It is often stronger and even a different direction than what you feel down between the trees. Cut a good size spill hole in the center of your chute to help speed the decent of the rocket. The Alpha, and most other Estes/Quest type rockets have chutes that are bigger than needed unless you're landing them on concrete.

Oh, one more thing. Always take a picture of your rockets on the pad before you launch them. If you forget, you're guaranteed to lose them or to have a cato. That's an addendum to Murphy's Law. ;)

Alan
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
The C6-7 is all there was at Wal-Mart.

tbzep
11-10-2007, 06:18 PM
The C6-7 is all there was at Wal-Mart.

I have no idea how old you are or where you live, but are you able to order online or travel to other stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

Hobby Lobby should have a better selection. The best selection would be found by ordering online.

There's boatloads of places that you can get kits. There are nearly as many that offer Estes and Quest motors.

I order most of my A through E motors from AC Supply. (http://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets.htm) If you are able to order online, let us know and we can hook you up with some really good vendors for the products you are looking for.

Rocket Doctor
11-11-2007, 04:54 AM
So, I guess that is what I saw drifting above my head the other day, Alan's rocket ?

Always use the smallest suggested motor when launching to check out how the rocket may drift and fly.

Unfortunately, WM doesn't have a good selection of motors as is evedent in anotheer thread, but, as suggested, there are many online suppliers that you can purchase motors as well as kits from.

You could have also built the Baby Bertha, balsa fins, a little largere than the Alpha, and a great flyer.

Good luck in your future rocketry projects.