PDA

View Full Version : More freebies from a friend...

Vanel
11-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Latest gifts from my friend - Patriot is still in shrink wrap, and the Alpha has a balsa nose. Dunno what year it is, since hang tag is missing. The biggest surprise to me was the 360 deg swivel assembly - I didn't know Estes made those. Cat # is 711-LP-2, and the package says it can accept 1/8 and 3/16" rods, along with the C-rail. I am assuming these were produced for rack launchers - my friend has 2 more of these units, which were purchased to help build a club launch pad.

Now if I can only relieve him of the boxed Cineroc and the Mars Lander. Then my victory will be complete :D

Rocket Doctor
11-11-2007, 04:19 AM
The Alpha was produced starting in 1966, check out MRN V6 N2.

The red pivots were used on the Estes Multi Pad, which can be found in, I believe, the 1970 - 1972 catalogs.

This was a six posistion multiple launching pad, and, at the time cost $150.00. I have one of those with an extra rack for a total of twelve posistions, it also had a built in PA system as well.

From what I have been told, only about 100 were produced and I have heard of only two others still in existance.

The multipad was the creation of Bob Cannon, who was the educational director at Estes until he passed many years ago, Bob was a great guy.

Royatl
11-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Latest gifts from my friend - Patriot is still in shrink wrap, and the Alpha has a balsa nose. Dunno what year it is, since hang tag is missing.

The Alpha was in that packaging for most of the later 70's and early 80's. I have six or seven of them. A few I bought at KayBee in 1989 when they were blowing out Estes and Centuri rockets dirt cheap.

tbzep
11-11-2007, 09:13 AM
The 360 deg. swivel was also sold seperately as late as 1978.

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/78est054.jpg

Ltvscout
11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Latest gifts from my friend
Man, I have to find me some new friends! :D

That Alpha came out of a starter set or a FROGS box which is why it doesn't have a hang tag.

Green Dragon
11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Of interest ( maybe I'm out of the loop, lol ) was the Bertha kit in the lot .

I've not seen that kit panel / decor before.. looks like the catalog yellow / white scheme, but with the old style nosecone, as well as all one color fins .

What vintage is that ?

And how long was that photo used ?

~ AL

Rocket Doctor
11-11-2007, 10:27 AM
take notice, the Fin Kwik is pictured at the bottom of the catalog page, down from the swivel.

A lot of photos used by Estes can also be found in Centuri publications, just remember, Centuri and Estes had joined forces down the road after Damon purchased both companies, and eventually, Centuri products were being shipped from Penrose.

pantherjon
11-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Man, I need to get some new friends! Great score, especially for that Shuttle kit! :) Be careful when you build that Patriot! I read(I think over at TRF) that it flies 'poopy'...

Rocket Doctor
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Built the Patriot when it first came out, flew it many, many times without any problems.

tbzep
11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Man, I need to get some new friends! Great score, especially for that Shuttle kit! :) Be careful when you build that Patriot! I read(I think over at TRF) that it flies 'poopy'...

I respectfully disagree with whoever made the comment. It's an excellent flying rocket. It boosts straight, and flies true. He's either a really poor builder, really poor at motor selection, or thinks that every rocket should fly beyond visual range at mach 20.

Leo
11-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Vern, when you read this;

You have a lovely web site :)

Rocket Doctor
11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Vern, when you read this;

You have a lovely web site :)

Leo
Why don't you introduce yourself to Vern and give him the message with an email directly to him?
Ken

Did you get your rings sent from SC yet?

Leo
11-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Did you get your rings sent from SC yet?

No, they are still in SC.

However I'm going over the items I have thier and plan on having some stuff ship to Germany.

Green Dragon
11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I respectfully disagree with whoever made the comment. It's an excellent flying rocket. It boosts straight, and flies true. He's either a really poor builder, really poor at motor selection, or thinks that every rocket should fly beyond visual range at mach 20.

WHen I first built my Patriot back circa 1980, I put a 24mm mount in it .

flies great on D12 and FSI D202's.. had many MANY flights on that - gave it to my cousin in Colorado after LDRS 6 in Hartsel .. last I ever saw of it, he moved back east a few years back but has no clue what happened to the bird...

and yes, there's a clone in my future :)

~AL

barone
11-12-2007, 07:48 AM
WHen I first built my Patriot back circa 1980, I put a 24mm mount in it .

flies great on D12 and FSI D202's.. had many MANY flights on that - gave it to my cousin in Colorado after LDRS 6 in Hartsel .. last I ever saw of it, he moved back east a few years back but has no clue what happened to the bird...

and yes, there's a clone in my future :)

~AL
Aaahhhh......Hartsel.....where the buffalo roam ;)