PDA

View Full Version : Does everybody already know this?

Veracity
11-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Hey,

At the risk of coming across like an old man talking to his grandkids, I wanted to share this building technique and find out if all of you know it, do it, hate it, or hate me. (Ok, that sentence got away from me there at the end.)

I'm working on an interesting rocket of my own design upon which I have decided to put 1/4 inch balsa fins. After cutting and sanding the fins, I noticed that I had accidentally sanded the tip of one of them improperly. So much so that I needed to replace the fin or reduce its size.

Instead, I used Plastic Wood and fashioned a new tip for the fin. The imperfection I was trying to correct was only about 1/8 of an inch, but seeing as how it was at the very tip of the leading edge..where the fin meets the tube..I felt it was worth my time.

It worked perfectly.

I've used the stuff around my house for years but this is the first time (I think) I've used it while building a rocket.

That's it.

Rocket Doctor
11-13-2007, 05:17 AM
I guess you could say that it would be equal to "balsa filler" that you can buy in a tube.

If it was me, I would just cut out another fin, it , probably would have taken less time, but, if it works for you, why not.

The bottom line is, the finished product, if it doesn't effect the rocket structurally, go for it. You be the judge.

Royatl
11-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Hey,

At the risk of coming across like an old man talking to his grandkids, I wanted to share this building technique and find out if all of you know it, do it, hate it, or hate me. (Ok, that sentence got away from me there at the end.)

I'm working on an interesting rocket of my own design upon which I have decided to put 1/4 inch balsa fins. After cutting and sanding the fins, I noticed that I had accidentally sanded the tip of one of them improperly. So much so that I needed to replace the fin or reduce its size.

Instead, I used Plastic Wood and fashioned a new tip for the fin. The imperfection I was trying to correct was only about 1/8 of an inch, but seeing as how it was at the very tip of the leading edge..where the fin meets the tube..I felt it was worth my time.

It worked perfectly.

I've used the stuff around my house for years but this is the first time (I think) I've used it while building a rocket.

That's it.

I've used all sorts of things over the years to fix nicks, large and small.

Plastic Wood was first, 39 years ago. I didn't like it so I tried other things. Spackling compound was what I used for a number of years, then Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty (which I also used as a balsa filler when at a higher dilution). In the 80's I used Bondo Spot Filler (then Squadron Green putty). Now for most things I use Elmers Wood Filler (the non-Fill'n'Finish type).

Big nicks I've fixed sometimes by cutting out the damaged section and putting another section of balsa in.

Phred
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I have used several fillers in just such a circumstance:

for small dents, I have used ca, but this was often difficult to sand. I have also used fill n finish. Finally, on one model, I cut out the offending area, and inserted a properly sized bit of balsa, then sanded back to the original shape.

In almost all the cases, it would have been easier to just cut a new fin... :)

Veracity
11-13-2007, 10:30 PM
I have used several fillers in just such a circumstance:

for small dents, I have used ca, but this was often difficult to sand. I have also used fill n finish. Finally, on one model, I cut out the offending area, and inserted a properly sized bit of balsa, then sanded back to the original shape.

In almost all the cases, it would have been easier to just cut a new fin... :)

You are probably right. I felt I had to do the Commando thing and fix it. It took a Hell of a long time, but I felt like I was really cool when I was done. :)

Phred
11-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I agree with ya'. I have repaired tooo many rockets that should have been treashed, and made repairs the hard way just , well, because I enjoyed the challenge.

Phred